arm/shoulder sieze up

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Jon5614, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Jon5614

Jon5614 Regular Member

Over last few months (been playing little due to ankle injury) I sometimes get a pain in my upper arm after playing, but it always goes away within 24hrs. Now my ankle is better, so on Monday I played for ~3hrs.

Mon: tiny pain upper arm, normal
    Tues: quite painful upper arm & shoulder
    Weds: woke up and I could hardly move any of my arm at all. My hand was too shaky and not strong enough to eat breakfast with a spoon. My whole arm from wrist up to and including all over my shoulder was very very painful.

Took painkillers and over a few hours it got easier, now it feels very tired and generally aches. I went to doctor and he said nothing felt wrong, so rest for 1-2 weeks, take diclofenac for 1 week (strong anti-inflammatory), and then after that I should work on building muscle in my upper body, to help protect joints.

Has anyone had anything similar?

I've had small pains before, but this was a very strong pain in my wrist, forearm, elbow, arm (bi/triceps) and shoulder (yes, all at the same time). I could hardly move my arm, and couldn't use a spoon or write. (this was only in my racket (right) arm.)

I'm worried my arm will take a long time to heal, as I've had some small pains in my upper arm for a few months when I've been playing very little (like 1hr light play per 2 weeks, with a 1.5month gap due to ankle).

Sorry for long post! I hate not being able to play...

2. TIMO1

TIMO1 Regular Member

I've felt the same. After playing too much in a week then playing a tourney, my arm was so screwed. Can't even hold my racket up straight. Terrible. Also prevent me from sleeping for the whole night until i took a painkiller.

3. chewablemorphin

chewablemorphin Regular Member

Lifeguard, and a little bit of autobody
    This is very unusual, so do you feel any pain durring the game? also, how much time do you spend warming up before you play? this could also be indirectly related to your ankle, have you changed your stance compensating for the ankle perhaps? I recomend stretching before and after you play, and make sure you are warmed up before you start hitting very hard shots, also, nobody knows the problem better than you do, if something feels wrong it's probably wrong, maybe go see a physiotherapist for a second opinion.

4. Jon5614

Jon5614 Regular Member

Pain during the game varies. Sometimes it has hurt and I stop playing, but this is very rare and has not happened recently, it hurt very little on Monday. I don't think I've changed my stance, I will get someone to check this when I start playing again. I do some basic stretches, but on the whole it would not be considered a "good" warmup, this is something I'm going to change.

What stretches should one do after play? The same stuff as pre-play?

TIMO1: did it go away after resting? For how long? Have you had it again, or just once?

5. jensen9173

jensen9173 Regular Member

I will do pumping or push up half of your normally do.
    e.g usually i do 60 times and 30 every day (morning 30, night 30 and even after play 30). I no longer got pain:D

6. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    You need to strengthen your shoulders and arms.
    Pushups are good for basic chest, shoulder and tricep strengthening. If you can do lots and lots. When your muscles develop and your fibres tighten you shouldnt have pain..

If you are quite strong and well built then you have a much more serious problem. Go the doctor.

7. chewablemorphin

chewablemorphin Regular Member

Lifeguard, and a little bit of autobody
    I always stretch shoulders, triceps, wrists, back, hamstrings and ankles.

8. TIMO1

TIMO1 Regular Member

Its gone away after resting but if i play too hard. Was playing 4-5 times a week for 2 weeks and the pain came back again. Might be due to me being quite aggressive/hard hitter.

Rested for 4 days and it was all good, only felt minute pain playing 2 days ago. This has happened to me for several occassions.

Going to get it checked out by a physio soon though.

#8 TIMO1, Apr 30, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2009