Dumb string destruction?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Mr Arc, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Mr Arc

Mr Arc Regular Member

Hey guys,
    I'm an average player. I've played for only 4 months, but im already pretty decent.
    I snapped my string today for the first time. I play with an arcsaber 10. I had a Nanogy 95 at 11 kg/24,5 pounds. I've just had the racket for 1,5 months. The string did not just break, but the plastic grommet(or whatever it is called) is damaged and the knot did open. Now there are a few questions in my mind. I know it is not easy to answer it, but maybe you all have some assumptions.

When i played today i could barely make clears (most of them were very short). Was that a sign that it would brake or was it just illusion?
    Was it just strung badly or just a bad hit which lead to the incident?

I would describe myself as an allaround player.
    What string would you recommend to me and at what tension?

2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Guten Tug und Begrussen,

We need more description on your grommet and string to get a better idea.

1) When you said grommet was broken, can you tell us which one? Is it the one the string tie off? How is it broken?
    2) When you said knot was open, do you mean undone/untied?
    3) Has string snapped or showing sign of wear/fray?

3. Mr Arc

Mr Arc Regular Member

1) its the fourth from the top. Its not the one where it tie off. The part being on the outside is broken off, basically there is just the part left which is in the racket. (Just tell me if i should post pic)
    2) yes, the knot was undone.
    3) there are barely signs of fray. you can just see like one fiber(which is odd).
    The reason i ask is, I find it weird that the knot is undone when it just simply snapped. Additionaly, as far as i remember i did not hit the shuttlecock with the frame.
    hope this helps, if not i will post pics.

4. silentheart

Yes, picture will help.
    I am very surprise to hear the grommet to break in 1.5 month from a Yonex. I have strung too many new and old Yonex and never seen 1 grommet to break with in 6 month period.
    I am also very surprised the knot was undone. Which grommetn was it used to tie off on the top? 5th or 6th?
    So there is no fiber? just 1 solid string?
    Can you post your ser number on the lower shaft and the cone code on the cone? Something is funny here.

5. Mr Arc

Mr Arc Regular Member

my bad about the fibers, i thought u meant if the string was frayed anywhere else... the two "new" ends were frayed pretty good.
    I dont think its a faked racket, because its a badminton shop who supposedly supports the German nationalteam. here are the numbers:
    280783GR
    in the pictured I marked the tie off grommet and where the grommet broke (the top part of it, i would call it lit).

Attached Files:

6. silentheart

OK, now I got it. This is one of the freak accident. I think this is what happened.
    1) You miss hit the shuttle very close to the top on #4 or #5 string. The string broke.
    2) The # 5 is the tie off for the cross. So the knot comes undone when you only use 2 half hitch knots for tie off.
    3) When the cross string comes undone from the top, it pulled the grommet top into the space in between the frame. Or the top just snapped off.

Now, please cut all strings as soon as possible and get it restring. Wow, a series of things happened here.

7. Mr Arc

Mr Arc Regular Member

Okay, thank you very much.
    I just cut the string off. I was surprised how much the frame expanded :-D
    I guess the string became loose or sth that i couldnt really play good clears.

Can you give me an advise on what kind of string i should use?

I'm thinking about starting to string my rackets by myself. What are the best brands for the machine? Maybe u can post links.

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    One more possibility is that the string snaps / gromment damage is due to scratch racket on the floor (i.e. picking up shuttles, bumping on the floor, etc). :rolleyes:

9. silentheart

I usually use BG85 for my Cab30ms. I switch to BG80 for NS9900. Your tension is good for the racquet.

Regarding the stringing machine, Please do more research. Many types and models have been discussed extensively in the stringing technique forum next door.

10. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    In the picture, it also appears that the main string has also snapped to correct?

About the tie off for the cross, unless the stringer did more than one 1/2 hitch, the tie off should not of become undone.

As string wears and tears, usually to the point of breakage, usually shots and perforamnce gets a bit funky, as you mentioned not being able to clear properly or having difficulty getting the power down (ie. smash and so forth).

#10 Matt, Apr 30, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  11. Deathsticks

Deathsticks Regular Member

all you need to do is to
    1 cut off string with sicisors
    2 give it to stringer and ask if they have replacement grommets
    3 string it

as for your clears i don't think its the racket

12. Alom

Alom Regular Member

Because you cant get a good clear, it sounds like you cant get enought power out of the racket. Maybe down to either your using wrong technique, not used to a stiff racket or your stringing too high.. There are many other reasons:rolleyes:

13. Deathsticks

Deathsticks Regular Member

was it a 1 peice stringing or 2 peice?

14. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

from the picture above, looks like it was strung with 2-piece string method.

since this thread has been a while, i am sure he has it taken care of.