Disability Badminton

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by RichT, Dec 2, 2005.

1. RichT

RichT Regular Member

Wheelchair Badminton

Hi,

Am going to start coaching a group in a local school, with one pupil who is in a wheelchair who has limited arm movements but can grip a racquet. They are year 9 so ages 13-14. Has anybody got any fun games that I can use with the wheelchair use, he will have an Learning Support Assistant with him so can do one to one games. Just looking for some session ideas,

Thanks

Rich

2. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

Net shots and drives are the pnly things i can think of. If this person has strong arms and wrists maybe clears, its tough (and not advisable) to hit overhead clears without rotating your torso which is generally done by moving your legs. Doubles serving is another workable thing.

3. charzord

charzord Regular Member

Student
    Half court games and practicing would be much easier to play. Other than that, I can't think of anythign else.

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

My mum is in a wheelchair too, and we have family doubles games.

It depends on the skills of the other players on court. If you have skilled players who are also mature and considerate, then you can have quite a good game. This is what we do:

We park my mum so that she is just behind the service T. She gets as many goes as she needs for service and receiving service. For service, I place the shuttle on her racket and she flicks it up before hitting it (she can't use her left hand at all).

Anything that lands in the front of the court, unless it is within her reach, is out. Whenever I have to run around the wheelchair, or cannot hit the shuttle for fear of striking her or the chair, we play a let.

When I am playing against her, I deliberately choose to play flat shots to her hitting area. Obviously this goes against normal tactics, but it means she can get involved in some fast rallies. I also need to be considerate of her partner, and not play over-aggressive shots.

I've also coached a disabled group from a neuro-rehab hospital. I found that all the players could be accommodated, but you have to recognise their differing capabilities and use whatever resources are available -- especially people!

5. terror

terror Regular Member

thumbs up to u gollum!:)

6. patrickshum

patrickshum Regular Member

Network Planner
    I have heard of a handicup game for badminton, the court size is around half as deep. I don't know the exact details though, you'll have to do some more research on that.

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

The laws of badminton show various reduced court spaces, using only the normal lines as boundaries, for different classes of disabled players.

I have not found them to be useful, but they do define a system for formal competition.

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Photo of Wheelchair Badminton

For those who have not witnessed Wheelchair Badminton... here is a photo.

[​IMG]

In the photo, a disabled player on a wheelchair is about to do an Overhead Clear.

So it can be done. !!! :):):)

And it is wonderful to watch disabled players participating in Badminton.

9. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

How much do one of these wheelchairs cost? I'm getting surgery this month on my knee and will not be able to run on it for a few months, maybe 6. So I'm going to need another form of moving around the court if I'm to keep playing.

10. XtC-604

XtC-604 Regular Member

Store Manager
    i don't wanna be pouring water...but badminton just isn't meant for wheelchair...a big part of the game is to move the opponent around ><

11. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    I beg to view it differently :)

Badminton is quite a good workout for those using wheelchairs...
    it's also great fun for them...
    and I guess that's what matters :)

Ask not what wheelchair-users can do for badminton
    but what badminton can do for wheelchair-users :cool:

12. PeZyUaN

PeZyUaN Regular Member

College Student
    oooo thats interesting :D i would love to see a video of it

13. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Good 'wheel work' is needed to get around the court quickly. :eek:

14. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

I don't have a badminton video...
    ...but, for a glimpse of what it takes, here's one on tennis:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMOXRxlnUv8

I'd say it takes enormous grit to do something like that.
    Indeed, it's a humbling experience to watch them do it. :)

15. Blazers OTK

Blazers OTK Regular Member

Student
    Well just as the title says im here to open up a discussion about disability badminton. Im interested to see how much the world knows about this particular side of badminton.

Im a wheelchair user myself and have played wheelchair badminton myself for about 3 and a half years now and i absolutely love the sport! I have competed in various competitions and I strive to keep on improving my game.

Just thought it'd be nice to hear peoples views and opinions on this topic. :)

16. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    all i can say is its hard to imagine how disabled people would have the strength to keep to the pace of badminton. But if they can thats unbelievable.

Are there any rule differences? smaler courts, net heights etc.

Also i didnt even know wheelchair badminton existed lol

17. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Two Threads Combined

Threads merged.

Ah, now you do ;)

18. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    :) good work
    pretty interesting tbh

19. Blazers OTK

Student
    Oh it exists ;) There is also 'Standinfg Badminton' which is mainly for amputee's, or those who only have a slightly decreased function in their legs, theres also dwarf badminton and also learning disability badminton.

In wheelchair badminton our net sizes are 6 inches (15cm) shorter, the only difference with the courts is that the area just infront of the service line is out in the whole game. Apart from that the rest is in. And believe me when I say... we most definitely have the strength to keep up with the pace of badminton, especially at the higher levels. One push can move quite ballisticly, and get you a fair amount of distance. We have no problem claering back to back, dropping or even smashing (And pretty powerful smashes at tha!).

Theres a disabled european championship in a few weeks time in germany, and even a disabled world championships in korea this year.

Alot of information can be found here:

http://www.rolli-badminton.de/ibad/index1.htm

20. Blazers OTK

Student
    Oh it exists, along with dwarf badminton, 'standing' badminton for amputees (although they don't just stand there, they move fairly quicky around court!), and also learning disability badminton.

Well in terms of strength, we most certainly do have that to be able to keep up with the pace of badminton. We can clear back to back, smash with a fair bit of power, and drops.

The higher level games have a fair bit of speed about them, if people would like to see, i could record a video of us playing the game at my club.

For wheelchair badminton the nets are lower by around 6 inches (15cm), our court dimensions for singles is just half court and the area before the service line is out at all times and then the rest of that half court is in. In doubles again the area before the front service line is out at all times and other than that the whole court is in.

Theres a disabled european championship later this month and a world championship in korea later on in the year. We're really hoping to try push disabled badminton into the paralympics for 2016. :)