broken ti swing power

Discussion in 'Broken Rackets' started by cmd17uc, Sep 9, 2002.

1. cmd17uc

cmd17uc Regular Member

Sub-par student
    at the end of august i bought a ti swing power ss from a store called ASBY in san jose. Appearantly the stringer is the us national teams stringer. When i bought the racquet i asked him how much tension i could string it at. He said that 24 pounds wouldnt be a problem. Now, 10 days later, the frame is warped and ruined!:mad:
    This racquet has been transported, stored, and treated properly at all times. I was wondering if anybody else has had a problem with the ti swing power series and if i can get some kind of refund? Any help would be greatly appreaciated.

2. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    I would bring it back to ASBY and ask for a replacement since they did the stringing.

Yonex racquets do have a six month warranty although 24 lbs is above the recommended tension but you did ask the stringer and he indicated that it was okay.

Whenever I was asked about stringing the racquet above the manufacturer's recommended tension, I would indicate that it will void the warranty and that I know of folks who have their racquets strung at or at higher tensions. This way, the consumer can make an informed decision on how to proceed.

3. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

yea, 24 lbs is over the recommendations....

i agree with winex, bring it back to where u got it from and see what u can do about it. with any luck, you might get a replacement...considering you were "told" 24 lbs wouldn't be a problem.

next time, with a new racket, don't go over the recommendation, at 20 lbs for swing power...it'll keep the racket healthy....after a few restrings, it maybe okay to go for 22lbs...maybe 23..

hope that helps..

4. cmd17uc

cmd17uc Regular Member

Sub-par student
    so your saying that new racquets should be strung lower and then eventually increase the tension?

5. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

i'm not saying that it works. i'm saying that it MIGHT work...but no guarantees. Ti swing was never meant to be strung high...yonex recommended 20 lbs and in my opinion, i don't think that you should string it NO more than 23lbs.

Think of it this way.. u know the saying.."the older you get, the wiser you are"? well, think of the racket getting older and PERHAPs being able to withstand more tension.

From past experiences, my old yang yang tactic racket recommended max 19 lbs. i had it strung at that. after a few restrings, i strung it at 23...that's 4 lbs over the recommendation...i hit with it and it felt nice, the tension never ruined the racket, i had clashed it a few times with other ppl's rackets and i also have dropped it a few times but it's survived.

ANyways, it's just a "maybe". I don't want you to ruin another racket so to be on the safe side, perhaps just try stringing it 1 or 2 pounds over the recommendation. That shouldn't harm it.

From what i've read, stringing the racket at FIRST at recommendation with keep the racket healthy, then after a while, going over the recommendation a few lbs shouldn't harm it. You might want to try it, good luck

Hope that helps

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    in today's standard, 24 lbs isn't high tension. any qualified stringer should be able to string 24lbs. my gf has two TiSP SS, one at 23, the other at 24. not a problem with it at all.

from your description, it appears that the stringer is at fault here. as it is strung at 24lbs, unlikely Yonex will honor the warranty. it will be between you and asby to decide if they'd replace the racket for you.

either way, sorry to hear that. i hope you get a replacement.

7. ivan

ivan Regular Member

Student
    Were you in a major clash? and did you check the racket after the the racket has been strunged? It happens to me once after I got back my racket from a stringer and I found out there is a hairline crack at 9 o'clock position. However, I do suggest you to bring the racket back to asby tho, or you can try Yonex which I guess they won't responsible for it since you agree with your stringer that 24 lbs is ok. Anyway, be firm on this, when time is right, crying out loud for a replacement :D

Good Luck

Ivan

8. modious

modious Regular Member

If your racket has not have any clashes, it shouldn't warp.
    Is it the SX, SS, SR or SA?

My Iso Ti Swing Power SX is strung at 26lbs regularly and it's still holding up fine after 4-5 months.

If yours is the SR or SA version, it might not be able to take 24lbs I guess.

9. Danny Boy

Danny Boy Regular Member

Management consultant
    I have my SS strung at 24 lb and it has been restrung four times since new. No Problem at all. The matter of fact I am amaized that it doesn't have any chips on it (light slashed only).

In your case, it must have been the stringer's fault.

10. 1putt

1putt Regular Member

engineer
    According to my Club Pro @ San Gabriel Valley B.C (L.A., CA) current broken U.S. version rackets may be replaced through a Yonex distributor with a handling fee ($30ea. for SGVBC). According to the Pro, typically, Yonex will replace broken rackets if the racket did not fail in too many pieces. I have not tried this before, so you would want to talk with ASBY or your local distributor to check if your local distributor or elsewhere in the States offers replacements for broken rackets. They may be other conditions that I am not aware of but it wouldn’t hurt to ask.

p.s.: This is my first post. I have learned so much from this forum. Thanks.

11. cmd17uc

cmd17uc Regular Member

Sub-par student
    It is a ti swing power ss. I havent had any clashes with other racquets or objects. I only got to use the racquet four times! I checked after it got strung and no visible damage. I first noticed the problem after i miss hit a very easy smash and looked at the head. Hard to describe, but totally out of whack, definetly due to the strings. I looked at it very carefully when i got home and still no cracks or fractures that i can see. ASBY hasnt replied to my e-mail, guess i'll have to go up there and talk to them man to man!::cool:
    thanks for all the help and info