Playing at Uni Clubs (AU)

Discussion in 'Australia / New Zealand' started by xiaoboy, May 2, 2009.

1. xiaoboy

xiaoboy New Member

Just wanted to get feedback on people's opinion on playing at USYD, UNSW & UTS in Sydney. From what i read and experienced, there's a range of players there and all have different styles of managing court play and the problem i often faced is lack of games and quality of games, especially if you're not a regular.

At USYD, you're expected to find your gang of 4 or rush into the courts to find them. Court hogging is often an issue, not to mention different standards but people are generally easy-going.

At UNSW, waiting your turn to play is a must & managed through a list. You can forget playing with the advanced players if you're not part of the click. There's a persistent feel of coldness and overcrowdiness.

UTS appears to have some semblence of organisation and fairness by "grading" players and restricting them to courts. Mixture of younger and older crowds but generally friendly atmosphere.

Not sure if anyone felt the same way (not just as a noob) and in no way, naming & shaming the clubs.
    Just wanted to see there was a more ideal way of management and if they could learn from each other.

2. Ribena

Ribena New Member

Hi, I have played at all the clubs you mentioned before.

I mostly agree with your description on the club styles of managing court play. You are right in saying that non-regulars tend not to get high quality games - unless you know the right people.

I find that after a while (yes that means you need to at least be fairly regular) you will find people around your standard and become part of that 'click'.