How do I beat someone that always uses drops?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Cookies, May 2, 2009.

1. Cookies

Cookies Regular Member

Recently, this person that comes to badminton has started dominating me. He just drops, and I run back, I get it just in time, but then I move back. To my surprise, he does another drop! How do I beat him? My footwork is okay. Is there a way to beat him? Whenever I clear, he just hits it high, then I can't get it. Any tips?

Thank you for taking your time to read this.

2. chewablemorphin

chewablemorphin Regular Member

Lifeguard, and a little bit of autobody
    There are many ways to counter drops shots, I think the problem you are having is he is forcing you to lift all the time. You could try net shots, crosscourt netshots, the key is for you to find a way to make him lift to you, rather than you lifting to him.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it doesn't sound like your footwork is OK despite what you claim. i would work on doing more footwork drills and focus on speed.

4. WhiteRice94

WhiteRice94 Regular Member

slacker
    most likely your footwork is lacking, or your trying to anticipate his next move too early which sends you to the wrong direction. when he drops, try to counter drop it more

5. Cookies

Cookies Regular Member

When I drop it, it goes too high and then he smashes it. His drops are really weird, IMO. He lets the birdie slide off his racket, then it goes over the net and falls to the ground.

6. azn32boi

azn32boi Regular Member

It slides? You mean he slices it? That's a good form of dropping, unless hes doing straight drops, or is slicing it like crazy. Slicing drops are more deceptive and controlled.

My only advice; Stand a foot behind the serve line, right before he hits, split step (small hop and widen stance). This will help you push off quicker and time yourself before he hits. and practice drops, if he can smash your net drops, then your drops aren't good enough.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    sounds like you are just a beginner with loose shots. i'd go find a coach or a friend, do some drills, increase the quality of your footwork and your shots, and then one day you will be able to beat this guy.

8. Cookies

Cookies Regular Member

Thanks, I'll try. Should I try and drop like him? I'm working on the slice drop right now.

9. chewablemorphin

It really is situationally dependant, i'd work on a good tight fast netshot first, then go into the fancy stuff later.

10. markham player

markham player Regular Member

medical
    At the mean time, I think you should lift high & far back & give yourself enough time to get back to position if lifting is your only choice

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    To be able to execute a good return/reply

Cookies ... There are 2 essential things required;

(1) Footwork: Move quickly and efficiently into position to prepare to do your next stroke
    (2) Stroke Production: Hit the shuttlecock precisely to where you want it to be placed

Without 2 of them combined, you will not be able to execute a good return/reply.

12. Cookies

Cookies Regular Member

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll work on it. This forum is so friendly ~

13. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    He's using drop shots because you are allowing him to do that.
    Essentially, you are lifting the shuttle whenever he drops it.

Change your response.
    Don't always lift the shuttle.

You have a variety of responses to choose from.
    For instance, you could counter the drop with a net shot.

What you need to do is wrest control over the shot sequence.
    Don't allow him the luxury of deciding his next move or shot.

Work a bit of deception into your game and he'll be the one doing all the running.
    Perhaps you should get yourself a good, friendly coach :)

14. eyky1618

eyky1618 Regular Member

This may sound very similar to the previous comment, but can you clarify if you play singles or doubles?

If he's trying to pick on you...net shots are the only way to go. Cross-court net shots are the best to put yourself in a more prepared/advantageous position.

Otherwise, I would go a step and a half faster when getting the return to drive the birdie flat near the sidelines. That would not only mix it up but most definitely confirm a lift back from your opponent.

My 2 cents again....sorry just an intermediate thinking out loud. :eek:

15. Cookies

Cookies Regular Member

Well, I play singles against him. I can't get a coach yet, until I move back to where I was before. So for now, I'm playing for fun. Net shot is when you hit it far at net, right? Well, whenever I play him, it feels like he has total control of the game, I've only been able to score about 2 points :crying:. He's just smiling. He wears jeans to play though, I could probably use that to my advantage, couldn't I? Another reason my tactics don't work, is because he has really long reach, and can get all of my shots no problem.

16. chewablemorphin

It seems as though, you are playing someone who is better than you, not a bad thing, you can learn a lot. A net shot is when you are at the net and just tip it over, a drop shot is when you're at the back of the court and hit it just over the net.

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I think you are pretty new to the game and your opponent is just so much better to be able to deliver shots at will and 'control' you. :D

Countering his drop shot with a net shot means you return his shot as close to the net yourself, not hit it up or to the far end from the net. You also need to practise hitting nets shots to the sides or what is termed as net crosses away from where your opponent is standing.

It seems to me you are still struggling with net shots by keeping them low as close to the net tape as possible, since your opponent can easily 'kill' your returns.

So in general you need to improve in not only your footwork but also your shot making. Your clear may be too low and short, leaving it very vulnerable. You are unable to hit shots to the desired height, length or direction. Unless you are able to improve on all these through practising and training, it is unlikely that you can beat your opponent, even with these tips you get,

You have much work to do, I'm afraid. :p

18. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

you have definetly got to work on your footwork
    Possibly if he gets presictible maybe you should try to guess what he is going to do stand closer to the net so that you have more time to think about your next shot you might be able to get a few points like that

19. chewablemorphin

He said he has no problem getting to the shots, how can you be so certain that footwork is the problem? There are many factors that affect how a game plays out, the moment you start guessing where people are going to get hit is the same time you'll probably go in the wrong place. The trick is to know your opponents options with their next shot, and prepare yourself for them.

20. TIMO1

TIMO1 Regular Member

try make him run, vary your shots and don't give him heaps of time to move to the back when you lift/clear to him. make your shots tight.

main aim is to increase the speed of the game to the point where he can't keep up. just focus on getting the shuttle over the net first.

you should start doing endurance runs.