Grip Questions.

Discussion in 'Grip' started by vanilla., May 2, 2009.

1. vanilla.

vanilla. Regular Member

Amazing.
    I have some questions about grips.

My understanding is a replacement grip is a grip that replaces the original factory grip so it is Rep Grip > Wood.

and a overgrip is anything used over another grip

Please clarify my understanding.

Also I am going to be getting a towel grip and I'm not sure what to do. I have a grip already on the factory grip but I left the plastic covering on (The factory grip) so I could replace it later.

Do I remove the plastic film or what?

HALP.

Edit/Do I wrap it all the way if I want to remove it later? Or do I cut it when it gets to the end of the handle.

#1 vanilla., May 2, 2009
    Last edited: May 2, 2009
  2. Sasho

Sasho Regular Member

Basically you understand correctly :)

Keep in mind every time you put another grip, wrap a electr. tape first. Overgrip (2 or more layers) could be used as rep. grip -- but have to protect the wood with the tape.

Towel grip over rep. grip could change the balance of the racket dramatically, so towel is mostly used as rep. grip (dont forget the tape!) :)

edit: remove the plastic tape, of course :D
    You could wrap it half the grip :)rolleyes:), to the cone or up to the shaft... The second one is most common...

#2 Sasho, May 3, 2009
    Last edited: May 3, 2009
  3. Sasho

Sasho Regular Member

* the plastic film I mean

4. neavalmi0421

neavalmi0421 Regular Member

New Product Development
    electrical tape

I have seen a person putting on this but didn't catch him put hte replacement grip after that. Can you pls advise what advantages this will have?

5. Sasho

Sasho Regular Member

It just prevents the wood from the sweat :)

6. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    The plastic film should be removed. If you don't, it sort will sort of weld onto the original grip overtime when you are using the racket like that with an overgrip on top - then it would be difficult taking the plastic film off.

7. vanilla.

vanilla. Regular Member

Amazing.
    I'm currently using Yonex super grap over the factory handle? Is this Normal? I took the film off by the way. Will it be more difficult to replace the grip (grap) later on? I didn't wrap electrical tape on the factory by the way.

8. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

no, it shouldn't be. so long as you have the Factory grip/ wood, its still easy to do.

9. phamd124

phamd124 Regular Member

Student
    I suggest you remove the factory and any replacement grips you have on your racket if you use a towel grip. Use electric tape or Saran Wrap (I'm not kidding) to cover the wood and prevent sweat, then add the towel grip. The weight of it will cover for the lost of the factory grip and any other replacement grips you had on. Note that the Towel grip is big and heavy. It'll change your racket's BP a lot so, make sure it's something you really want to do.

10. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    You should remove the original plastic film seal of the grip, but don't apply towel grip directly on the original grip as if you wish to remove it later, you will drastically damage the original grip. I would remove the original grip first, use Mesh grip ($7 for 1 pack/3 grips) to wrap the wood, or you can use white or dark electric tape to seal the wooden handle first, then apply the towel grip.

Please note that towel grip will get sweaty every time you finish using your racquet as the towel absorbs your hand sweat. Make sure you let it dry or manually dry the grip before placing it in a bag. Otherwise, leave it in open space.

11. vanilla.

vanilla. Regular Member

Amazing.
    Ok guys so I stopped messing with the towel. Too uncomfy/heavy and switched to some simple super grap. I noticed many pros wrap it all the way to the top of their racket, further up the then the handle. Why is this?

12. phamd124

phamd124 Regular Member

Student
    If you wrap it all the way to the cone, you can feel the grips during your drives and you can feel it when you're playing the front.

13. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    pham already answered your question. But towel grips are not uncomfy, they are made for comfort. One bad thing about them is the wetness afterward.:eek: