50th post thank you gift: Badminton Strategy, Hitting Straight or Cross-Court?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by RacketlonCanada, May 3, 2009.

1. RacketlonCanada

RacketlonCanada Regular Member

Racketlon.ca webmaster
    Hey guys, I like the community here, so I'd like to share badminton knowledge, techniques and strategies. It's actually geared toward racketlon players coming from other racket sports who often do not know what to do when they arrive in badminton, so there is a lot comparisons to the other sports. I still think a lot of people can learn from this! Also, there is no absolutes, I know there is exceptions to this strategy.

I got a little carried away with the ideas, so good luck to try to read all of it. Here's the article, originally posted at: http://www.Racketlon.ca/blog

"Racketlon Badminton Tips
    HITTING STRAIGHT OR CROSS-COURT: A QUICK FIX

Being a good badminton player on the Canadian Tour, I get a lot of pressure from « rackathletes » to tell them a few advices that can improve their badminton game drastically.

In Racketlon, we generally want to get our points as fast as possible, but also to reduce the points you give. A short 21 point game doesn’t favor the fancy trick shots maker or the sniper who aim for the lines. In Racketlon, the first key to become a better badminton player is to diminish the number of mistakes, no matter you or your opponent’s level. In other words, play safe. This is easier said than done: developing a mistake-free game means committing to practice regularly a minimum of 3 times a week. This is the long term path to take for anyone who wants to become really good, however I promised you a short term fix in this article. If you want to improve quickly, you can optimize the strategy and mentality you’re using; especially that from my perspective table tennis and squash players are hitting without intention when they arrive in badminton. By using a good strategy, you will improve significantly your level of play.

I already see some table tennis and tennis players applying the general concept of playing safe, i.e. sending the bird cross-court all the time and wondering why they’re losing the rallies. While it’s true you have a greater court length when you cross, it is not a good option in badminton for many reasons.

In most other racket sports, the player will intercept your shot only after the first bounce. In between the flight of the ball and the landing, your opponent either isn’t allowed to hit (table-tennis) or it is unsafe to volley and better to wait (tennis and squash). Understand that if you have a greater court distance (bigger margin of error) and the ball will travel a longer time (thus giving you more time to position yourself), although have you ever imagined what would table-tennis look like if you could hit the ball before it lands on your side of the table? The shuttlecock is light and there is virtually no spin possible imparted on it, making it easy to change directions with a snap of the fingers.

Rather think “locking up the court” just as every good squash player will tell you; play tight straight drives close to the wall. When there is a “loose” ball, you dispose of it with a good cross-court. This squash strategy is also the basics of badminton. To improve quickly, one must concentrate on hitting straight until the opponent is far out of position. And since the drop shot is a much better option in badminton than in squash (easier to change direction and the net is high), you have more options to vary; and that is the whole point of the game. Mix straight drop shots and straight clears close to the line, changing clear heights and your drop shot’s speed. If your opponent plays cross-courts, capitalize on it and reach the bird quickly to play it straight (smash is the best!).

So practice closing the angles, vary your shots and don’t open the court unless you have an opportunity! I guarantee you will defend your court better, decide faster on the court and make fewer mistakes.

*excuse my frenchglish ;)

#1 RacketlonCanada, May 3, 2009
    Last edited: May 3, 2009
  2. RacketlonCanada

RacketlonCanada Regular Member

Racketlon.ca webmaster
    Well, I guess I haven't helped anybody!

Was this too technical?

3. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    did help me some cause i am a lousy beginner :(
    still struggling to hit the shuttlecock over the net and into opponent's court. :crying:

4. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    mmmm its an ok basic guide. I dont agree with a few of your points such as the whole Crosscourt is not a good option etc. Your basically trying to say playing safe will give you better results.

But again unless your fitness and footwork is really good playing safe wont always work. And playing it safe and playing consistant are 2 very very different things.
    Probably could have summed up your article in 3 sentences.

Nonetheless thats just my opinion. Good work and keep it up :) i might scrape something together later on if i can be bothered.

5. Mathieu

Mathieu Regular Member

Student
    I agree that from the rear court, straight shots are often a very safe way to build rallies and create opportunities, but I think that cross courts can be very helpful to either finish rallies (when the opportunity arrises) or to get you out of trouble (the classic cross-court net shot when you are very late at the net, or the cross-court backhand from the rearcourt when you feel that your opponent is waiting to kill a straight reply).

I have to add that the crosscourt lifts (from the net) are often a very good option to «safely» pull your opponent out of position.

I think you did a good job on your post and you should keep it up.
    The only reason why you got so few replies (I think) is because most people don't play other racket sports so maybe they did not understand the comparisions with squash, tennis and table tennis.

6. chubawamba

chubawamba Regular Member

Student
    C'est super cool merci, j'espere que cela va m'aider et me permettre de m'ameliorer! ;)

7. Big L4

Big L4 Regular Member

Student. Making a mental badminton encyclopedia.
    Sounds like a defensive play style to me.

8. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    yeah it's a very defensive style, but I understand where he's coming from. From my discussion with rackelton players, most come from either the squash or tennis side of things and pick up the other sports.

Just as table tennis is really hard for most badminton players, badminton usually vexes tennis players.

at a higher levelplay, the cross court shots are reuired to get your opponent moving and are essentail as either finishing kill shots or set up for kills. if you constantly go for dowen the line smashes, desn't matter how hard you blast it, your opponent will be in ready position to kill it.

Same with squash... I've recently started to play higher level club players and have found the key it go cross court to get the players moving and guessing more.

I'm aslo seriously considering rackelton.. I've got the badminton and certainly the squash.. tabel tennis is easy to pick up again... but tennis will always be my achilles heel as i simply get very little opportunity to play it.

9. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Table tennis , is really hard for most badminton players?

I though badminton players would be good at table tennis because badminton players , have good reflexes and good hand-eye co-ordination?

I understand that they would take time getting better , but it wouldn't be hard for them?

10. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    Most badminton players I know and have played with over the years really struggle with the short raquet and over hitting the ball.