partner problem?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by gamepurpose, May 3, 2009.

1. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    So obviously this thread is just about double, TEAM play.
    Let's say your partner is a close friend. And he makes mistake, and you told him. He said okay
    But seem likes he kept on doing the same mistakes.
    what can you do?
    I don't want to offend him by keep saying and saying.
    Well shoo, seem like he doesn't care what i said
    toughhhhh......

2. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Mistakes as in?

3. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

my freind also happens to be my doubles partner but we don't tend to make mistakes luckily we both use different hands but we don't tend to clash as we always decide before in the warm up who takes what
    E.G. If we are in defensive position and are opponent hits a strong smash down the middle and I am on the left (I am also left handed) then I will defend it as I am better at blocking using my backhand than he is however if we were attacking he would be at the back cause he has a better clear and I have better net shots
    It's all about understanding your and your partners weaknesses and using that to your advantage
    If it's not working out it's better you save your freibdship and find a new partner than losing a freind

4. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

gamepurpose,
    Have you considered mentioning your partner's bad habit privately to your coach or a third party? If he hears the same thing in practice from a different respected source he may finally believe your advice.

5. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    no we're just friends. And we're just people who able to play once or twice a week. Because of work, school, and all other stuffs that involve with life. So we're just play to fun. Well I suppose he doesn't have the eager, or we can so call really want to play badminton, or even call he doesn't love badminton? But in the other hand I do love badminton.
    And so I guess when you don't love something, you really don't want to work hard to get better or change.
    So anyway about mistakes you guys want to ask.
    Shots that like above the net like a foot or 2. And we always up front that about to execute the shots. He never hope and make the shots, always delay alittle and well you get the picture, he doesn't come to the bird in time.
    And when he drop over (close to the net) always like to making fake taps?
    that kinda like want to block the shots of the opponent. Problem is he always tap early, and then when the actually shot went over, he just let it go.
    And one last thing, really bad but I can't really say this, this happen alot to people. Bad footwork. Wrong foot work make him stumble, and can't get to those backline clear.
    I did tried to tell him to change it, and he always yea sure. But you know one of those yea sure. So yea...
    what can I do?
    I haven't play with him for 2 weeks i believe, but that because I have knee and foot injuries. Have bad feeling about these injuries. Just that I just got laid off so no more insurance to cover my medical bill. =(
    Hope this injuries are not that big of a deal.

6. phamd124

phamd124 Regular Member

Student
    You don't want to offend your friend but if you want to keep him as a partner, you need to drill him sometimes. Perhaps it's in the middle, between you two and he always gets it. Discuss it, not during the game, but after. That's when people absorb most of the information.

7. TIMO1

TIMO1 Regular Member

it takes time these kind of things. but just mention anything you're unhappy about that you want changed, don't be afraid. after all you 2 are controlling the game together so you have to resolve some issues sooner or later right?

8. azn32boi

azn32boi Regular Member

If your partner is a good friend of yours, and he really wants to play, to be honest, just whisper to him in a stern voice to keep it in or get it over everything time he makes a mistake. My partner is like that too, and then I just mutter a few words behind him and tap him on on the shoulder. If he's a good friend, he'll keep quiet and focus. Sometimes after the game I'd yell at him for a short period of time if its serious, but never in a game. Just a form of encouragement that works between us because we know we're better than to do stupid stuff.

9. jessejames

jessejames New Member

I.T.
    you're right azn32boi!!!

10. William86_98

William86_98 Regular Member

Student
    well..i think it depends what your expectations are within the atmosphere where you are playing. If you are playing somewhere where it is purely for fun and recreational, it will be very hard for you to ask your partners to work too much on improving their game. Especially since many of them are probably stressed from work and school, they dont' want more stress to deal with in their "fun" time. Maybe some tips here or there (i.e. make sure, just get it over, etc...), but nothing too major. If you are in a situation where you are itching to play in a game where everybody plays their parts well, then maybe you should looking into playing at a more competitive venue.

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The reason for your 2 to play is very much different. One purely looking for fun, and the other is competitive. There's no way you can get a good match when ppl were looking for totally different things.

My suggestion is, for fun game, stay with your friend, and everyone has some fun. When you want a competitive game, simply join the other group of players. Overall, your 2 do not have stick together for every single game. ;)

12. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

It's simple really. Just have a chat with your friend.

Find out if he's just in it for fun or wants to improve.
    Ask him if he wants you to point out weaknesses in his game and if you should nag him each time he does it.
    Tell him if he should point out stuff that he thinks your doing wrong.