jumpsmash vs on ground smash, the differences?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by gamepurpose, May 3, 2009.

1. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    please leave all ideas about the two.
    . power
    . angle
    . THE FEELINGGGGG OF THE SMASH
    . which one more comfortable for you
    IF jump smash is harder for you.
    how long did it takes you to get the feel of it. (base on your friend judgement. Of course who cares if he's not international player, as long as he can tell the regular and the jumpsmash from you.

2. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I reckon you get a better angle when you smash and I get around 20% moemre power cause my whole body behind it however you get better control when you stay on the ground

3. TIMO1

TIMO1 Regular Member

theres a difference to a straight jump upward which will give you a sharper angle that the shuttle travels at and the jump forward which will give you more power i guess.

timing is important. :)

4. azn32boi

azn32boi Regular Member

Both shots are comfortable to me. Jump smash has more angle and power, but it also takes better timing and more energy. I only jump smash to finish the rally, other than that I do ground smash for better control, and faster recover.

5. coolazn

coolazn Regular Member

student
    ground smashes are easier to do but i seen a guy at my community center who only does jump smashes.

then again alot of us are lazy so we tend to do ground smashes.

6. phamd124

phamd124 Regular Member

Student
    I'm short so I almost always HAVE to do a jump smash to make a steep shot. I'm only 5'4. This really hurts my singles but then again, I don't smash that often. Just set up for the kills! Clean, fast, easy, and efficient.

7. Jyaki

Jyaki Regular Member

Student
    The angle, power and the feel of the Jumpsmash, IMO, is better than the normal smash. Especially the power and feel. It took me one and a half months to learn it, and know I'm a frequent flyer. Control as most people will say, will dwindle.

8. Silver Bullet

Silver Bullet Regular Member

Realtor
    Ground smashes are easier on the knees. [​IMG]

9. Jyaki

Jyaki Regular Member

Student
    A pair of good badminton shoes would ease the landing.

10. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    both are beneficial depending on how strong or advanced you are. For the less advanced players you will get no advantage as your timing and technique will not be of standard.
    For the more advanced people who can already comfortably smash correctly whilst standing, learning to jumpsmash will give you more angle, accuracy, and power.

I would reccomend learning to smash from start to finish in this order.
    Normal half smashes learning until you can hit it very accurately.
    Learn to then hit full smashes with the same technique until you can hit it very accurately and with good power.

Learn jump smashing half power. Until you get it perfect timing technique and accuracy.
    Then learn it at full strength.

11. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Very well said. Thank you candidate number 1. Candidate number 2, you're question is, "What is the essence of a woman?" ... :D

Kidding aside, I'm glad to say that I'm already in the process of learning doing a jump smash at full strength. I have yet to be consistent about it, though, because sometimes, I get the opportunity of thundering down steep smashes, but if not, it turns out to be just a half smash. But here's the thing ... jump smashes really help vertically challenged people like me.

Yes! It's really physically demanding, so what I do is combine ground smashes with jump smashes. That way, I could distribute my energy throught the match.

12. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    its about freeing yourself from gravity... ;)

13. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Absolutely.

It's time to try defying gravity.
    I guess I'll try defying gravity.
    And they can't pull me down.

14. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    Yes I agree with extremenanopower.
    It's the feel that you can feel free from gravity, when you do jump smash.
    I love it when a high lift shots. Those gave me the opportunity that to allow me .5 or 1 sec hanged in air for the smash.

15. jrmanu

jrmanu Regular Member

Smash

A high jump smash takes alot of energy compared to a ground smash, so if your tall just use a ground smash but if your sure you can kill the shuttle then use your jumpsmash.

16. bradmyster

again this can be a bit of a silly statement lol
    Yes there is alot of energy involved in a jump smash. But just because you are tall does not mean you stick to ground smashes. extra height aswell as even more height with jumping means you can get an amazing angle with ease.

use all the height you possibly can. If your worried about having to save energy and turn to not using a jump smash then your no where near fit enough to be playing effectively.

17. jrmanu

jrmanu Regular Member

You see a smash is used to kill off the point or get an opening but when you reach a certain level where players defence is as solid as rock, and you keep on jumpin and smashin everytime you get the chance what will happen if you go to a 3rd game, or lets say you have to play qualifying and you have 3 games on that day then you start the tournement on the next. Fitness is very important yes,but im tryin to say that you dont always need a sharp angle jump smash, that is only to kill, you can just stand and use a half smash or stand and smash then spin net. but if you get a real nice dead shuttle then yes jumpsmashing is the best.

18. bradmyster

thats fair enough and more to the point.
    But considering a professional singles match you dont actually constantly jump and constantly cut off everything you possibly can. Thats overkill to the max. You set yourself up with drops, clears and netshots fast drives etc etc and then when you get the opportunity to kill it a big jump smash is just wats needed.

I see where your coming from though :p

19. jrmanu

jrmanu Regular Member

Yeah

yeah thats why i said that you should jump smash when you know you can kill the shuttle, but some players are 2 short thus they have to jumpsmash if not they cant smash properly they can only use half smashes that why i said in the first post if your tall.Yeah but this is just my point of view and my coaches point of view so its yeah its up to you to belive it or not or have your objections :)

20. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    bet you guys haven't read http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47521&page=13

i think you guys are comparing a normal scissors-kick smash, against a both-leg-take-off jumpsmash. Theres no way to smash with your feet stuck to the ground.

A point to add that doesn't seem to be mentioned yet--
    a double leg jumpsmash allows you to stop more easily (after moving backwards), and then shift your body weight forward, since you are using 2 legs to stop and push instead of just 1.