Hyundai's quality improved?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by LazyBuddy, May 4, 2009.

1. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    May need to replace my current car within a few months from now on. Based on the features, warranty and $$$, Hyundai Elentra Touring is currently on the top of my list at the moment.

However, I heard some horrible stories about Hyundai's quality in the earlier days (later 90s, early 2000s). Just wonder after about 10 years, did Hyundai's quality improved to an acceptable level? I am not saying it has to be in the same class as toyota or Honda, but as long as it's not any worse than GM or Ford brands, then the extra warranty will lead me toward Hyundai for sure. :rolleyes:

2. jbchiong

jbchiong Regular Member

I think it's fair to say that Hyundai's quality has improved for the last ten years and catching up to Toyota.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Up to toyota's quality already? Are you serious? :eek:

4. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

He must be joking. However, I would say this. Hyundai's car used to be build in S. Korea when a lot of labor unrest and protest during late 80 through out late 90. Now most of Hyundai's car sold in US is build in US (just like most of Japanese brand car). They use Toyota as model to build factory and try to copy Toyota's QC process. Manufacturing process has been automated so much that human factors is no longer an issue. So, the initial quality survey for Hyundai is pretty high. However, I still would not put their reliability at level of Honda or Toyota. I would gone with Civic or Corola first.

5. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Hyundai car is better than Proton, i guess...

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I mostly won't consider Hyundai on the par with toyota or honda. However, do you think they are at the same level as GM or Ford at least? :rolleyes:

7. silentheart

I would not touch GM car this year and next year due to the current auto industry issue. However, If you ask me, will Hyundai has as good quality as Ford, I would say, yes. may be a little better in the area of smaller car. Make sure both has same term in warranty area. Why? I think Ford still has deductible for warranty repair. I hate Hyundai's gimmick on 10 yr. 100,000 mile warranty. It only covers power-trans and there is a write down on wear.

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Well, I am sure there's trick in the so-call warranty, and I do not expect spend $0 on car maintenance for next 10 years. All I care is the major issues (i.e. engine, transmission, etc), which should be well covered within the warranty.

9. staples

staples Regular Member

I agree with jbchiong that Hyundai's quality has improved over the past decade. My neighbour has an Elantra bought in 2000 and still running fine. Not much problems with the car.

Don't get sold too easily on those long-term warranties though. Even with Toyotas/Hondas, when you get to the 5th year or so, only the power train warranty is in effect. Hyundai is a bit better than Ford/GM in my opinion.

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

The power train covers the most important part of the car, such as engine, transmission, etc. That's usually the determine factor as whether a car can continue operate or not. I am already passing the age of "be cool", so, as long as a car running w/o major issue (or, major issue being taken care of in a reasonable fashion), I will go with it. :D

11. silentheart

Actually, you need to read the fine print on the warranty (that is why I do not like what Hyundai's warranty claim). Many of the parts you and I consider they are "power-tran" are not covered under the warranty.For example, the ignition coil (looks and act like spark plug wire but not spark plug wire) is not covered under engine. CV boots is not under transmission. And some of the parts have deductible. Again, please read the warranty before you walk into the dealership. Unlike Japanese brand, they are 3 yr 36,000 mile bumper to bumper with everything covered. Easier to understand and less headache.
    We have done a study before on warranty insurance when I was working for the wrong hands company (You know which US ins company I am talking about). The company offering shorter warranty coverage usually (not every one) has less reliability issue vs the company with worse reputation try to entice you with longer and vague warranty. Here is the example, since Hyundai give you 10 yr 100,000 mile power-tran warrnenty, what hapen if the transmission die on you at 9.5 year old and you need to have atransmission replaced? Your car is porb worth $3,000 after 9 yr. Cost of replacing a REBUILD transmission is about $2,500. What would you do? Also, be aware of the even finer prints. The car company can just pay you the "FAIR" value of the car and not repair your transmission.
    Yes, warranty is a type of insurance. In additional to that, insurance is a bitch...

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    OMG, I think I never paid enough attention to the warranty. :eek: Thanks for the information, otherwise I might be :crying: here after 5 years. I will try to study the warranty a bit more carefully, then make a decision. If too much "lawyers" involved, then I might go for the quality instead of rely on the suppose to be warranty. :(

13. silentheart

14. silentheart

Something funny to read.
    http://www.hyundaiusa.com/global/warranty/warranty.aspx
    Under the title 10 year / 100,000 miles.
    POWERTRAIN PROTECTION Covers most engine & transaxle components.

Covers repair or replacement of powertrain components (i.e. selected Engine and Transmission/Transaxle components), originally manufactured or installed by Hyundai that are defective in material or factory workmanship, under normal use and maintenance. Coverage applies to Original Owner only effective with 2004 Model Year and newer model year vehicles. On 1999-2003 Model Years, coverage applies to Original Owner and immediate family members
    1) selected? let me know which parts first.
    2) So you better not drive more than 15,000 miles/year. No red lining (I know you don't)
    3) Not totally transferable.
    Second and/or subsequent owners have powertrain components coverage under the 5 year / 60,000 mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Excludes coverage for vehicles in commercial use (i.e. taxi, route delivery, delivery service, rental, etc.).
    ie. Do not buy a car from rental place. Don't work as a delivery boy either...