User Tag List

Page 116 of 523 FirstFirst ... 16 66 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 166 216 ... LastLast
Results 1,956 to 1,972 of 8886
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    The Straits Times
    Jun 16, 2010

By Elena Chong

THREE Sarawakians accused of murdering an Indian national in Kallang on Wednesday faced fresh charges for a series of armed and gang robbery.

Micheal Garing, 22, Hairee Landak, 20, and Tony Imba, 31, face between five and seven charges each. The trio were earlier charged with the murder of construction worker Shanmugam Dillidurai, 41, at the open field along Kallang Road near a condominium on May 30. A fourth man, Donny Meluda, 19, is on the run.

In two of the fresh cases, they are said to have slashed their victims - Mr Sandeep Singh, 24, and full-time national serviceman (NSF) Ang Jun Heng, 18 - during the robberies.

In another case against Micheal and Tony, they allegedly hit the victim, Mr F.M. Noman Md Faizur Rahman, 34, on the head with a piece of rock, punched and kicked him during the hold-up under an MRT track behind Sims Ville Condominium between May 27 and 28.

Meanwhile, a seventh Malaysian was brought to court to face gang robbery charges.

Landa Sulai, 27, was initially charged a week ago with robbing Indian national Raja Jana Kazi, 20, of his cellphone, $32, work permit and ez-Link cards while one of more of them was armed with a parang.

His alleged accomplices are: Micheal, Hairee, Tony, Donny, Peter Usit Musa, 22, Sylvester Barogok, 26, and Shahman Milak, 21.

Except for Shahman, Micheal, Hairee, Tony, Peter, Sylvester and Landa are alleged to have robbed Chinese national Wang Jiuseng, 47, of his $300 cellphone at an open field along Sims Place on May 28 night.

Micheal, Hairee and Tony were remanded until July 7 for psychiatric examination while the rest will be back in court in two weeks.
    Foreigners commit only about 20% of all crimes in Singapore, the remaining are committed by Singaporeans. However, this is for total criminal acts and not for murder or murder suspects specifically.
    I am sure all crimes, serious and the not so serious ones, are reported fairly and not biased against foreigners by the Singapore media. I am sure that may be the case with the Singapore news media, but here in Singapore Also Can, one gets the impression that only foreigners commit crimes, including murder, but Singaporeans are guilt-free. Is this the case, Loh? If so, how extraordinary!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cooler View Post
    insurance companies are smart, they know their statistics and who, when and what not to insure
    You must have given them words of wisdom (advice) about risk management. Tell me, Cooler, is BP insurable, considering that the US administration has now got their $20 billion of flesh?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    Foreigners commit only about 20% of all crimes in Singapore, the remaining are committed by Singaporeans. However, this is for total criminal acts and not for murder or murder suspects specifically.
    I am sure all crimes, serious and the not so serious ones, are reported fairly and not biased against foreigners by the Singapore media. I am sure that may be the case with the Singapore news media, but here in Singapore Also Can, one gets the impression that only foreigners commit crimes, including murder, but Singaporeans are guilt-free. Is this the case, Loh? If so, how extraordinary!
    I'm surprised you think this way, after so much negative comments on Spore and after trying to impress us with your knowledge on Singapore. You are extraordinary with your often biased comments and judgements on Spore and you are still trying hard to put us down and expect to get off scot-free.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You must have given them words of wisdom (advice) about risk management. Tell me, Cooler, is BP insurable, considering that the US administration has now got their $20 billion of flesh?
    Prior to the BP situation, I bet there are insurer's that will underwrite these and that and everything in between for the ''root of all evil'' (love of money)...therefore, I'll just rephrase: there are insurers, there are re-insurers, there are re-insurers' insurer, then still, there are re-insurers' re-insurers' insurers!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why not? You have an objection? Do I have a choice since this thread is started by me? Or you are still trying to instigate to get my thread banned as you've done unsuccessfully before?

Since you are so interested in my answer I'll satisfy your curiosity.

I think our leaders consider law and order very important to the ensure the safety of residents and to the running of a successful economy. With so many foreign workers in Singapore, it is important that Singapore sends a clear message to them that crime does not pay and the law will sooner or later catch up with the criminals.

The foreign workers in question found jobs in Singapore and get an income. Instead of being satified they want more money and resort to crime. They robbed and killed another foreign worker for resisting. Some victims got so badly injured that they have to remain in hospital and may not get any compensation. They may have to wait to be sent back to their home country with no prospect of getting another job.

Now, the Singapore police has to act fast to catch the culprits and to bring them to justice. Otherwise others may take this as a weakness and resort to more crime. And investors, visitors and law abiding residents may lose their confidence in our Singapore system.

That's why Singapore has to pursue the Romanian ex-diplomat car accident case to get justice done, although the victim who died was a Malaysian worker.
    I'm surprised you think this way, after so much negative comments on Spore and after trying to impress us with your knowledge on Singapore. You are extraordinary with your often biased comments and judgements on Spore and you are still trying hard to put us down and expect to get off scot-free.
    Foreigners in Singapore make up to slightly more than 25% and they commit 20% of all crimes in Singapore. Statistically, Singaporeans commit a higher percent of crimes. So why the bias and your own pick of Sarawakans in particular, who are Malaysians, in your unfair assessment that only foreigners commit crimes? Foreigners are also humans too and based on Singapore government records they also commit less crime proportionately.
    Loh, what do I say above that is against Singapore. In fact your government is very professional, telling things as they are. But we don't get the same type of opinions here. Herein lies the difference.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loh, here is a good example of transparency as shown by Singapore's news media, www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singapore local news/view/1064146/1/.html. This is a good start but to be caught unprepared is not excusable and points to inexcusable negligence, which means the head of PUB should be fired if he doesn't resign. I think modern Singapore means business and I expect it will step in revamp PUB, otherwise it will more of the same thing. For one thing, how can PUB allow yearly flooding of the basements in the heart of Singapore, as claimed by shop owners?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loh, here is a good example of transparency as shown by Singapore's news media, www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singapore local news/view/1064146/1/.html. This is a good start but to be caught unprepared is not excusable and points to inexcusable negligence, which means the head of PUB should be fired if he doesn't resign. I think modern Singapore means business and I expect it will step in revamp PUB, otherwise it will more of the same thing. For one thing, how can PUB allow yearly flooding of the basements in the heart of Singapore, as claimed by shop owners?
    Sorry it should be http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...064146/1/.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drain design:

I am not a chartered Engineer but have worked with many. Engineers design drains and roads based on a calculation called "Rate of Return".

Eg. drains and channels may be designed for 20 ,40, 200 year returns. A 20 year return means a drain large enough to discharge water at rainfall levels at the worst encountered every 20 years, 40 year for the worst in 40 years etc. If you design drainage to cater for the worst rainfall encountered in the last 200 years it will be large enough to be a river.
    The same principle applies to road traffic, that's why all roads have reserves for future widening to cater for traffic increase or using airspace above in the form of flyovers.
    Freak weather caused by intense downpours yet to be encountered in the last few decades can lead to slower discharge and flooding and bottlenecks, it could be caused by global warming, therefore the emphasis in Singapore for a Green Environment.KL had been hit by this problem a decade ago when the whole of Merdeka Square was submerged about a decade ago.
    KL solved this problem by constructing a famous underground "Smart Tunnel " which could be used for traffic diversion, but in times of intense rainfall, the tunnel is closed to traffic and is used to discharge surplus water to the sea.I think anyone interested in the Smart Tunnel project can check out the "Sunway Group" website. The tunnel equipment I think were re-built from dismantled parts of the machines used in the England/France Chunnel.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But the shop owners are complaining about their basements being flooded year after year. The recent great flood comes once in a while but something must not be right when basements get flooded every year. Instead of waiting for the PUB to do something about basement flooding shop owners might as well design and get their own pumping equipment to get rid of this annual nuisance. If the PUB cannot do it then self-help is the only solution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have never claim I know all the answers. If I did have such magical powers then Everyone Also Can many times over, including Singapore Also Can. But that is not to be.
    Of course it is none of my business about the floods in the heart of Singapore. If it were, I would have been either grilled to toast or might even become your saviour.
    I only offer my own humble opinions and thoughts. Sometimes they make sense, other times they make some lone souls unhappy.
    In a way I may sometimes appear to be a foil to the mythical Don Quixote!

What did someone once quoted about Henry Kissinger' Academic" criticism and not putting your money where your mouth is? I think watching football is more fun than mocking others.
    Anyway flash floods in city centres are common enough I have seen enough in the UK when I lived there. Most of the time it could be overdevelopment and drainage systems not upgraded to suit new developments and is a very complex Town Planning and Environmental problem everywhere.
    it is not about looking for scapegoats but upgrading of infrastructure.Do you blame the government everytime a quite narrow road gets jammed once in a while when there is an occasional gathering causing a traffic jam? Its about risk and safety factors in Town Planning and feasibility of solutions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bbn View Post
    Drain design:

I am not a chartered Engineer but have worked with many. Engineers design drains and roads based on a calculation called "Rate of Return".

Eg. drains and channels may be designed for 20 ,40, 200 year returns. A 20 year return means a drain large enough to discharge water at rainfall levels at the worst encountered every 20 years, 40 year for the worst in 40 years etc. If you design drainage to cater for the worst rainfall encountered in the last 200 years it will be large enough to be a river.
    The same principle applies to road traffic, that's why all roads have reserves for future widening to cater for traffic increase or using airspace above in the form of flyovers.
    Freak weather caused by intense downpours yet to be encountered in the last few decades can lead to slower discharge and flooding and bottlenecks, it could be caused by global warming, therefore the emphasis in Singapore for a Green Environment.KL had been hit by this problem a decade ago when the whole of Merdeka Square was submerged about a decade ago.
    KL solved this problem by constructing a famous underground "Smart Tunnel " which could be used for traffic diversion, but in times of intense rainfall, the tunnel is closed to traffic and is used to discharge surplus water to the sea.I think anyone interested in the Smart Tunnel project can check out the "Sunway Group" website. The tunnel equipment I think were re-built from dismantled parts of the machines used in the England/France Chunnel.
    You are so smart.. learned something from your comment. I did watch the NatGeo documentary about the smart tunnel. Its just amazing how they did that. At times i wondered how the tunnel will looked like when its it closed if there is a Super Heavy downpour. As i drove in the tunnel.. i wonder how high the water can go up to. How much do you think it can hold the amount of water? 40yrs return? 100yrs return?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But the shop owners are complaining about their basements being flooded year after year. The recent great flood comes once in a while but something must not be right when basements get flooded every year. Instead of waiting for the PUB to do something about basement flooding shop owners might as well design and get their own pumping equipment to get rid of this annual nuisance. If the PUB cannot do it then self-help is the only solution.

If you visit KL and stay in Jalan Sultan Ismail if you are unlucky you will find sometimes that the basement and the cars will be flooded once in a while. I think the area is far from the smart tunnel.
    If you stay in Kuching, where the Sarawak river is below sea level everytime the tide is high the sea backflows into the river and floods the city.
    Till today they have not worked out a solution other than abandoning the city. Maybe we can read some newpapers rather than consult experts and judge whether the government is to blame.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ants View Post
    You are so smart.. learned something from your comment. I did watch the NatGeo documentary about the smart tunnel. Its just amazing how they did that. At times i wondered how the tunnel will looked like when its it closed if there is a Super Heavy downpour. As i drove in the tunnel.. i wonder how high the water can go up to. How much do you think it can hold the amount of water? 40yrs return? 100yrs return?
    I'm not smart, its my line of work, I have been managing developments for decades in KL.

The smart tunnel acts like an alternate River Klang/Gombalk channeling water to the sea. River Klang is the only river discharging water from the Klang valley into the sea.

Smart tunnel is actually in 3 levels or storeys.

Anyone who wants to know more about never ending flooding problems has only to study a documentary on Venice.
    Last edited by Bbn; 06-19-2010 at 07:05 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Besides that great flood there are small fry retailers at Lucky Plaza who claim their basements experience at least once, sometimes twice, yearly floods. And they are not caused by great once in a lifetime giant rains, just the normal rains year in year out. Surely, this can't go on?
    Is the PUB aware of this? Perhaps Loh may want to see this anomaly resolved once and for all. Otherwise it sticks out like a sore thumb, right in the heart of Orchard Road.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before you talk about pumps and jumping to conclusions, you haven't even studied the drainage system, is it a system of open channels, pipe culverts, box culverts or underground sewers? All different designs have different maintenance problems. It is not about pumping basements, LRT stations in KL are below the Klang river level but they have a series of gates to close the basements everytime there is a flood.
    Basements designed below flood levels without gates to preventing flooding are archaic designs.
    Here in this forum we have gods, better Engineers than Engineers.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Come on we are talking about modern Singapore. If New Orleans can do it-and they are below sea level for as far as the eye can see-Singapore surely also can!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow we have nonSingaporeans here more Singaporean than Singaporeans waiting for Chenhu to solve all their problems.

Whats that the Australian Minister of Innovation said about Australian businesses :

" Businesses like to Privatise their profits and Socialise their losses." Basements falling below flood level are always susceptible to flash floods, one solution is to redesign basements and at the same time improve public infrastructure.
    I think Insurance companies will shy away from insuring owners from claims if their basements are not properly constructed.