User Tag List

Page 13 of 511 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 63 113 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default An 'A' for Sailing

Today
    Jul 07, 2009

By Tan Yo-Hinn

SINGAPORESAILING president Low Teo Ping said yesterday the performance of the local sailors and the progress of the competition off East Coast Park at the Asian Youth Games was good enough to obtain a grade "close to an 'A'".

So pleased was he with the event he claimed the sailing team and overall facilities would be ready for the Youth Olympic Games, if it were held today.

The Republic's sailors bagged one gold, one silver and one bronze in four events and Low attributed the success to the association's youth development programme.

"This is a space we're comfortable with because of the way we have structured the whole broadbase development pipeline leading into the Olympic classes.

"We believe we can host the Youth Olympics tomorrow and participate in it, if we have to," he said.

Darren Choy and Najwa Jumali took home the boys' and girls' Byte CII gold and silver medals respectively at the Asian Youth Games, while Audrey Yong won a bronze in the girls' Bic Techno 293.

It is understood that as one of the 26 sports in the Youth Olympics, sailing will receive an initial grant of about $100,000 from the Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports to help prepare their athletes for next year's Games, which Singapore will host from Aug 14-26.

But there will be no tailor-made programme for the likes of Darren, who will have to battle 14 other sailors for a spot in next year's team. Said Andrew Sanders, SingaporeSailing's chief executive officer: "Our principle is we coach the many, and not the few. We never put all our eggs in one basket."
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default 2009 Ayg

The curtain has come down on the 2009 Asian Youth Games.

The event was dogged by attendance issues (blame the flu) but it did witness some great performances, a few even close to the marks set by the adult squads. It also gave a glimpse of the abundance of talent many nations have in store for the years ahead.

However, one critical element was sorely missing -- excitement

Despite the magnitude of the event, it was as if no one knew such an international event was on in Singapore.

This report from The New Paper of 07 July 2009 sums it up pretty well.

------------------------------

Asian Youth Games: So what if no one cares?

By Tay Shi'an

O the Asian Youth Games (AYG) are ending in two days' time.

If your reaction is 'Really, ah?', 'What's that?' or 'So?', join the mass of oblivious, uncaring faces.

I have to confess - I'm one of them. I haven't ventured out to watch a single match.

Okay scrap that. I haven't even put in the effort to see the highlight shows, or tune in to the dedicated AYG cable TV channels. (I found out about them only while doing research for this column.)

It's not that I don't care about sports or have no team (Singapore) spirit.

I've woken up at 3am to watch Champions League matches, bought tickets to watch Liverpool play at our National Stadium, and gathered in front of the office TV with colleagues to watch our table tennis gals battle it out during the Beijing Olympics.

And as a 16-year-old, I screamed myself hoarse with hundreds of schoolmates at the National Schools swimming or track meets.

But I just haven't been able to work up that same level of enthusiasm for the AYG.

Sure, the athletes represent Singapore. But they are the junior team. How many fans would want to watch Liverpool's youth team play against Man U's reserve team?

Even the organisers have downplayed the competitive element, billing the event instead as a giant 'friendly' to give our young athletes exposure.

Neither is the AYG 'grassroots' enough. School meets inspire crazy chanting of school cheers again and again and again. Then there's ecstatic hugging of fellow schoolgirls in pinafores you have never met before when your team crosses the finish line first.

But the Singapore youth athletes don't have a ready base of such focused and rabid supporters.

Having said that, does it really matter that only some people care about the AYG? Let's be honest. It was always clear that the AYG was meant to be a test-run for the Singapore Youth Olympic Games (YOG) 2010.

It doesn't matter even if no one is watching. All the better, actually. Then fewer people would have seen all the screw-ups, and all will be ironed out (hopefully) by the time the 'real thing' (YOG) comes around.

Can you imagine the world watching when there are sensitive screw-ups, like the religious headscarf basketball debacle?

Logistics screw-ups, like not-ready rooms when teams arrive after a long flight, and the last-minute time-slot swap of two football matches, of which supporters and the media were not told, cheesing off fans who actually bothered to show up?

No pre-game access to athletes until reporters made a ruckus? Clueless volunteers at entrances?

Canteen volunteers who can't tell you what's in the fried rice? (Surely, many of the teens would ask the same question, for curiosity's sake if not for religious or dietary purposes).

So organisers, this whole show has been for you.

Please, listen to what the athletes, journalists and spectators have to say. Actively seek their opinions. I'm sure YOG 2010 will be a good show.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that in general the 'excitement' that one would expect for a meet as big as the inaugural Asian Youth Games somehow was missing.

Of course this AYG had reduced the normal number of games to just ten (athletics, basketball, beach volleyball, bowling, diving, football, sailing, shooting, swimming and table tennis) and one popular game like badminton was omitted.

There was publicity in the media. Everyday, reports on the performances and results were published in the papers and some live action was telecast on TV with periodical roundups to inform the public. Yet attendance was poor for most events, except for swimming perhaps, which I attended last Sunday and was much impressed.

However the football quarter final match I saw at Jalan Besar Stadium between South Korea and Saudi Arabia was very poorly supported and I was even almost prevented from taking pictures. Supporters from the Saudi group were however boisterous and their chanting was ably accompanied by the steady and rhythmic beat of a hand drum.

A police officer came to my seat to tell me I could not use my camera. I asked for the reason but was told the usual answer "instruction from the management". I requested to see his "management" and a 'supervisor' arrived to tell me the same reason. I then demanded to see the right person in charge and was brought to speak to an English lady, presumably in charge of security and she told me that they would check and revert to me.

No sooner than I returned to my seat, an official came to me to say that it was okay for me to take pictures since my camera would not disturb other spectators nor interfere with their movement. Now this sort of thing will not encourage attendance! Neither will the ban on outside drinks, including plain water. They fear that bottles may be thrown on the field at players and officials!

I think much more support has to come from the students since adults are at work during the day time. Even my colleague remarked that "teenage football would not excite him as he was used to watching EPL". I watched the football game after my office hours and on an off day for the swimming event.

As the writer has said, for inter-school competitions, supporters from the schools come in large numbers and some schools even grant leave for students to watch. Now this is what was lacking during the AYG and it had very much to do with the swine flu, unfortunately. The timing was just bad.

However the attendance at the Opening Ceremony was very good and deserved the exciting performances and events that unfolded later.

But adult support at the swimming events were also admirable so were the cheer groups and the fans. Therefore it also depends on one's favourite game. A lone Malay 18-year-old boy was seated next to me as swimming seems to be his favourite sport.

I do hope the organizers will take careful note of the feedback and do a better job of the YOG next year.
    Last edited by Loh; 07-07-2009 at 11:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    A lone Malay 18-year-old boy was seated next to me as swimming seems to be his favourite sport.
    Oh really? guess why.

Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    I do hope the organizers will take careful note of the feedback and do a better job of the YOG next year.
    "A better job in future." sure do. Hey uncle Loh, You've updated me and others on the Asian Youth Games. So, thanks. I din see lots of reports from Malaysian local newspapers. Side-tracked problems may exist, yes. But i would not read an article and decide whether or not this tournament is a crap or a success. It should be an overall observation.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Glowing Report Card from VP Olympic Council of Asia

An extract from a write-up by Low Lin Fhoong in Today, July 8, 2009:

"...The Olympic Council of Asia (OCA) gave the organising committee (AYG) a glowing report card.

"It was a fantastic Games, not only for the athletes, but the atmosphere was great," said Timothy Fok, OCA's vice-president for East Asia. "They had only one year to prepare, so it wasn't a walk, but a sprint. Health issues (H1N1) factored very much in the preparations and created tremendous stress for the organising committee, but they did well."

Touted as a test event ahead of next year's Youth Olympics - which Singapore will host from Aug 14-26 - these Games was hosted at a cost of S$15 million, with S$8.4 million raised through sponsorship. Over 1,400 athletes from 43 National Olympic Committees took part..."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ting Wen shines bright

Today
    July 8, 2009

Plans afoot to give young athletes all the help they need, as swimmers named Games' leading lights

ByTan Yo-Hinn

WITH the nine-day Asian Youth Games done and dusted, Singapore's final medal haul from its 90-strong athlete contingent is nine gold, six silver and 15 bronze medals.

The hosts' brightest star was Quah Ting Wen, who accounted for five medals - four gold and a bronze.

Last night, the 16-year-old was recognised for the big splash she created at the Singapore Sports School pool when she was presented with the Most Valuable Player (Girls) award at the closing ceremony, held at the Games Village at Swissotel the Stamford. South Korean swimmer Chang Gyu Cheol, 17, bagged the male prize after also winning four golds.

"I'm really surprised," said the 1.74m-tall Ting Wen, who turns 17 on Aug 18. "I really exceeded my expectations. I've done my best times, which was what I set out to do. I'm really so happy and this is an added bonus."

Ting Wen broke her own national records in the 100m and 200m freestyle and was part of the 4x100m free relay team that smashed the previous mark by almost eight seconds. She also won gold in the 50m free.

Singapore's young athletes are set to benefit as sports chiefs explore ways to ensure they do not slip through the net.

"We have to figure out a way to retain and train them, first for the Youth Olympics," said Senior Parliamentary Secretary (Community Development, Youth and Sports) Teo Ser Luck.

Eye on the Youth Olympics

Each of the National Sports Associations (NSA) representing the 26 sports that will feature at next year's Youth Olympic Games here will receive about $100,000 in funding to help prepare their respective athletes and sports, with medal potential likely to be given additional funding.

The Youth Sports Development committee, launched last year with a war chest of $15 million, will play a central role. Said Teo: "This joint-committee will work on the effort of tying up between the SSC, NSAs and schools to come together and develop a programme around the athletes to enable them to train with a more flexible academic curriculum."

Addressing the issue of National Service for the male athletes, Teo said: "Beyond the Youth Olympics, we hope to have Mindef's support as well. If any of the athletes have been identified for the Olympic Pathway Programme, then we'll have to see if they can go into Mindef's sportsman scheme."

While the Singapore National Olympic Council announced plans to reward the Games' successful athletes monetarily, Ting Wen feels support in areas like sports medicine and science is also crucial. She said: "Going overseas for meets and seeing the sports science, especially in the US and Australia, I feel that can be improved to better help younger swimmers."

Ting Wen's long-term goal is the 2012 Olympics, where she will probably meet Suwon-born Gyu Cheol, who is aiming to compete at the London Games.

Speaking via a translator, he said: "I couldn't imagine my good results before coming here. Before coming here, I trained a lot. It is the best way to get good results. I ate right and was disciplined and it also helped. I want to be a great world champion in swimming in the future."
    Last edited by Loh; 07-08-2009 at 02:15 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh uncle loh, i can see this has just been your home in bc now..
    the singapore also can thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by koo_fan View Post
    Oh really? guess why.
    Thanks my young lady for having the patience to read this very long thread which took me overtime to produce, very much so for the pictures!

I was a little late for the swimming events and many of the good seats were already taken up. However I spotted two empty seats among the "Team Singapore" cheer group and gesticulated to a slightly-built boy seated on the left. He returned my gesture with his hands suggesting "no body", so I stepped on to the empty, but already 'reserved' seat in front to get on to him.

Kamal (?) was clean-cut with a crew cut. He remained shy and quiet until I cajoled him into talking, first by asking him about his camera and then about his interests. He was here yesterday, Saturday and returned again today because his love is swimming.

He is studying for his A levels in an Islamic school here, taking subjects such as Math, GP, Economics and Islamic Studies and Islamic Law. This is the first time that I learned that the Islamic schools here also prepare their students for the A levels and I'm happy that he is serious about getting into an Islamic university eventually.

We touched on other subjects as well despite the din that was created all around us. And he was happy to have made my acquaintance and shook my hands before departing when the event ended.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dato Asbullah View Post
    Lee Dynasty will still in powers regardless who is the President.
    In case the Dato does not agree with my retort in post #169, here is a recent article in the Economist that tells us more.

http://www.economist.com/world/asia/...=hptextfeature

Malaysia's racial-preference policy

Son versus sons

Jul 2nd 2009 | BANGKOK
    From The Economist print edition

The prime minister reforms his father’s economic policy

In 1971 Malaysia’s second prime minister, Abdul Razak, began a policy of racial preferences for majority Malays and other “sons of the soil”. The stated goals of the New Economic Policy (NEP) were to cut poverty and redistribute wealth, then largely in the hands of ethnic Chinese and non-Malaysians. On June 30th his son and the current prime minister, Najib Razak, took an axe to some of the privileges laid down by the father. He told foreign investors that Malaysia needed to overhaul its manufacturing-based economy to avoid falling into a “middle-income country trap”. He proposed to reform the requirement that all listed companies must have 30% of their equity in Malay ownership. Limits on foreign stakes in fund management and stockbroking will be relaxed. Red tape will be cut.

For foreign investors, this is all welcome news. It should also help Malaysia’s relations with trading partners such as America and the European Union, which have objected to the race-based rules. But the main audience is Malaysia’s restless voters, who are leaning towards the opposition led by a former deputy prime minister, Anwar Ibrahim. Mr Anwar has vowed to dismantle the NEP, which is deeply unpopular among minority Indians and Chinese. Since the main beneficiaries of stock allocations are often cronies of the government, plenty of ordinary Malays are now also smelling a rat.

By junking the much-abused quotas, Mr Najib pulls the rug out from under his opponent. But he runs the risk of upsetting his base. The bigwigs in the ruling United Malay National Organisation (UMNO), which Mr Najib leads, like the playing field to be tilted in their favour. Their supporters may also worry about minorities becoming too assertive. In fact, though, Mr Najib’s axe has fallen selectively. “Strategic” sectors such as energy and telecoms will keep the 30% rule, while Malays are still entitled to 12.5% of initial public offerings. Mr Najib also unveiled a new government agency that will invest in Malay firms in high-growth sectors.

Taken together, says Jeff Ooi, an opposition MP, the reforms are “baby steps” towards improving Malaysia’s international competitiveness. Foreign investment may pick up. But the pro-Malay bias, he argues, has not really changed. Mr Najib still wants to lift Malay corporate ownership to the NEP target of 30%, from a claimed 19% now. Experts say it is much higher and that it suits UMNO to pretend otherwise. Calculating the correct share is complicated by “Ali Baba” companies, in which Malay equity holders subcontract the work to Chinese firms.

It is too much to expect Mr Najib to demolish his father’s policy in one go. But his apparent willingness to confront vested interests in his party bodes well for his leadership. His predecessor, Abdullah Badawi, left office in April without producing his promised reforms. In his speech, Mr Najib said there is no point in retaining privileges at the expense of economic growth. “We can only achieve our social equity goals by expanding the pie,” he concluded. Investors can only hope that he is right.

(Even now there is another son of another ex-PM who has recently been roped into the cabinet.)

Now what dynasties are we talking about?

Last edited by Loh; 07-08-2009 at 09:43 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://malaysia.news.yahoo.com/bnm/2...m-cc21d00.html

KUALA LUMPUR, July 7 (Bernama) -- Malaysia may be fined by the organisers of the Asian Youth Games (AYG) in Singapore, for pulling out at the eleventh hour, due to fears of the Influenza A(H1N1) outbreak.
    ADVERTISEMENT

Olympic Council of Malaysia (OCM) Honorary secretary Datuk Sieh Kok Chi said the organisers have yet to decide on imposing fine or action against Malaysia which was the only country that pulled out from the Games participated by 40 countries.
    "There is a possibility that the organisers may impose a small fine because they had already made arrangements for the Malaysian contingent's accommodation," he told reporters after accepting a sponsorship deal from a Chinese apparel company, 361 degree (China) Co. Ltd, which will sponsor attires to the Malaysian contingent for the 2010 Guangzhou Asian Games in China.
    However, Kok Chi hoped the organisers would not retort to such action (fine) because of the good relationship between the two countries.
    Through the sponsorship deal, the company would supply 800 pairs of attire for the Malaysian contingent to Guangzhou.
    --MORE
    SPORTS-AYG (FINE) 2 (LAST) KUALA LUMPUR
    The OCM and National Sports Council (NSC) are believed to have spent about RM120,000 for the Malaysian contingent's accommodation, equipment and attire before withdrawing from the Games due to a directive from the Education Ministry.
    The Malaysian contingent, comprising mainly of students from the Bukit Jalil Sports School and a number of other schools, were forced to withdraw following a directive from the Education Ministry that barred all students from competing abroad, due to the Influenza A(H1N1) outbreak.
    -- BERNAMA
    ZAS MOK JRL

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it is most unfortunate that almost the entire contingent of Malaysia's young athletes had to be pulled out the last minute for fear that the swine flu may become more dangerous.

Malaysia's footballers enjoyed only a brief period in the qualifying rounds and did not stay for the grand opening at the SIS as they did not qualify to the next round. The sailors who remained behind clearly enjoyed themselves at the ceremony and I captured their joy in pics and the sailing competition happens to last several days right to the end of the Games. It is very rare for young athletes anywhere in the world to be put up in a first-class hotel like the towering Swissotel - The Stamford for their entire stay. This hotel has a commanding view of Marina Bay and many lucky Singaporeans will soon book rooms to enjoy the splendour of the National Day Parade and the fireworks at the Floating Platform on August 9.

As it turned out, none of the AYG participants were put down by the flu. Even the relative few from the Philippines and Hong Kong who were detected early with the flu, were later released to play in subsequent football matches.

It is a pity that Malaysian athletes missed out on the chance of experiencing the AYG atmosphere, the competition from counterparts of other Asian countries, getting to know them better and maybe make good friends as a prelude to the Youth Olympic Games to be held again in Singapore next August. Many may not be able to make the YOG trip because the qualifying standards will be much higher.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

owh, this is sad..

Calls to strip Miss Singapore of title after suggestive photos appear on the Net

THERE have been calls for Miss Singapore, Rachel Kum, to be stripped of her title following suggestive photographs of her emerging over the Internet.
    One of the pictures showed her simulating oral *** with a birthday cake shaped like an erect penis.
    Another photograph showed the beauty queen with her pants pulled down in a sexy pose with a rubber doll in the form of a scantily clad female.
    In another photograph, she was seen in a skimpy top and hot pants with a friend wearing an outfit shaped like a penis.
    These pictures appeared to be taken during private parties with her friends, Nanyang Siang Pau reported.
    Kum, 25, was crowned Miss Singapore in May. She also walked away with two subsidiary titles –The Most Body Beautiful and Miss Personality.
    She will be representing Singapore at the Miss Universe pageant in the Bahamas next month.
    The photographs have attracted more than 20,000 views since they were uploaded on the Internet.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp...829&sec=nation

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by george@chongwei View Post
    owh, this is sad..

Calls to strip Miss Singapore of title after suggestive photos appear on the Net

THERE have been calls for Miss Singapore, Rachel Kum, to be stripped of her title following suggestive photographs of her emerging over the Internet.
    One of the pictures showed her simulating oral *** with a birthday cake shaped like an erect penis.
    Another photograph showed the beauty queen with her pants pulled down in a sexy pose with a rubber doll in the form of a scantily clad female.
    In another photograph, she was seen in a skimpy top and hot pants with a friend wearing an outfit shaped like a penis.
    These pictures appeared to be taken during private parties with her friends, Nanyang Siang Pau reported.
    Kum, 25, was crowned Miss Singapore in May. She also walked away with two subsidiary titles –The Most Body Beautiful and Miss Personality.
    She will be representing Singapore at the Miss Universe pageant in the Bahamas next month.
    The photographs have attracted more than 20,000 views since they were uploaded on the Internet.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp...829&sec=nation
    I hope you realize that this kind of negative and bad publicity appears in great abundance everywhere in the net, including those of famous Malaysian politicians, men or women, and it is not my intention to have them included in this thread which is meant to be positive.

So I will appreciate if you request to have it deleted or transferred elsewhere.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry,my bad, i have already informed the moderator though.
    Last edited by george@chongwei; 07-13-2009 at 01:35 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by george@chongwei View Post
    ok, i have already informed the moderator though.
    Thanks George, hope you continue to be considerate.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default National Day Parade (NDP) 2009 Preview

Last Friday, I took another of my numerous trips to Marina Bay to update on further developments.

It was my lucky day as I managed to sneak into the NDP venue to be among the very few to witness an early preview of what was to come on the Floating Platform on August 9th. However it was not a dress rehearsal and I only managed to see the lion dance segment in action and some emergency announcements on the giant 'eye' TV placed in the centre of the enormous stage.

I used to be able to get tickets to the show but I have missed quite a bit of the recent NDP performances and will have to be satified with watching the proceeding on TV.

Attached are some pictures of the giant stage and its surroundings, including the new helix bridge that will link to the Marina Bay Sands Integrated Resort, completion of which will now be delayed till early next year.

This year' NDP is based on the Singapore Pledge:

"We the citizens of Singapoe, pledge ourselves as one united people, regardless of RACE, LANGUAGE OR RELIGION, to build a democratic society based on justice and equality, so as to achieve happiness, prosperity and progress for our nation."

Indeed, many of Singapore's races participated in their bright and colourful costumes every year and this year in particular the Peranakan community will make history with its first NDP contingent.

The Straits Times
    July 13, 2009

Peranakan group in NDP
    Ethnic community will make history with its first NDP contingent

By Feng Zengkun

THE Main Wayang Company will make history this year, representing Peranakans in their first National Day Parade contingent. The group will present a song and dance item.

For artistic director Richard Tan, 53, the achievement from the group's debut is not just professional, but also deeply personal.

To find out why this is so means tracing the story of how he - often insecure about his ethnic identity as a teenager - came to set up a company to promote all things Peranakan in 2005.

He said: 'When I was growing up, Peranakans were seen as very OCBC.' The derogatory term is short for Orang Cina bukan Cina, a Malay phrase that means 'Chinese but not Chinese'.

His only Peranakan role models were his two grandmothers. He said: 'When I was a boy, we used to cook together. But when I got older, I didn't want to do things with them. I wanted to be like my friends.' His grandmother even chided him once for having forgotten his culture.

It was not until he was in his late 20s that he experienced a conversion. The catalyst for this rethink: An old family photograph. He said: 'It was of my grandparents' generation. Everyone was dressed in a Western three-piece suit, or traditional baju panjang or baju lok chuan.'

Fascinated by its history, Mr Tan took baby steps to relearn his roots. This led eventually to the founding of the Main Wayang Company, which shares the Peranakan Baba culture and heritage through shows, events, music, fashion and lifestyle activities.

But even before this, he had done enough to earn back his grandmothers' respect. When one of them died, he and his siblings each received a bag filled with her possessions.

He shelved his. It was not until 'donkey years later' that he went through the items and found two traditional coin purses his family had looked for in vain. Mr Tan said: 'It really was a holy moment to realise she had intended them for me. I broke down and started crying.'

The belief that Peranakan culture will survive through time is what Mr Tan hopes to inspire in others.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Sentosa Integrated Resort

The Sentosa Integrated Resort bid was won by Genting International of Malaysia and is expected to be ready by year-end instead of early 2010, slightly earlier than the Marina Bay Sands Integrated Resort which had a headstart but is now delayed till early next year.

In awarding the winning bid to Genting, the judging panel, made up of seven ministers, explained their decision.

"Genting submitted the most compelling proposal overall that best meets our economic and tourism objectives. In particular, the proposal reflects our vision for the Sentosa IR as a large-scale, family resort with its host of world-class family leisure attractions and other strong offerings. The attractions will position Sentosa and draw a significant number of new and repeat visitors," said Prof Jayakumar.

The Deputy Prime Minister added that the Singapore government evaluated the high-quality proposals carefully, before deciding that Genting fulfilled the key criteria such as the family leisure component of 22 attractions for the upcoming Universal Studios Singapore.

This will make it comparable to the theme park in Orlando, Florida.

However, the decision also boiled down to hard-nosed calculations.

"The total project investment is S$5.2b, which includes the land cost of S$605m. We made a projection and the economic contribution of Genting's contribution will be largely similar to the Marina Bay Sands proposal, which is about $2.7b in value-add contribution to our GDP or approximately 0.8 percent contribution to the GDP and generate about 30,000 jobs throughout the economy in the year 2015," said Trade and Industry Minister Lim Hng Kiang.

The panel said they believe the two integrated resorts at Marina and Sentosa will complement each other very well, and allow Singapore to stimulate the growth of its meetings and conventions segment as well as the leisure segment to bring Singapore closer to its Tourism 2015 targets.

Sentosa will leverage on international brand names like Universal Studios, which will design 16 new rides specially for the resort.

Besides the Universal Studios theme park, there will also be 3 other water-themed attractions, including a surf pool.

Visitors will be able to observe some 700,000 fish species in one of the world's largest oceanariums.

Genting's proposal also includes six hotels with over 1,800 rooms for both leisure and business travellers.

Together with other developments on the island, Sentosa will become an attractive holiday resort for both locals and tourists alike.

Page 13 of 511 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 63 113 ... LastLast