User Tag List

Page 183 of 502 FirstFirst ... 83 133 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 233 283 ... LastLast
Results 3,095 to 3,111 of 8521
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2 new airlines join Changi

The Straits Times
    Oct 19, 2010

By Lai Han-Wei

TWO regional airlines, the Philippines' Airphil Express and Malaysia's Berjaya Air, will start operations at Changi Airport in the next two weeks.

Airphil will operate 14 weekly flights between Singapore and Manila from Changi's Terminal 2 from Oct 27, and 14 weekly flights between Singapore and Cebu from Dec 1.

Singapore will be Airphil's first international destination, and it will join five other carriers currently flying to the Philippines.

Berjaya Air will begin operations at Changi's Budget Terminal on Nov 1 with 10 flights a week to Tioman, operating daily except Tuesdays and Thursdays. From next March, it will increase the flight frequency to 28 weekly flights, 14 each to the resort islands of Tioman and Redang. Both islands are new links to Changi.

Changi Airport Group's Director, Market Development, Mr Lim Ching Kiat, said: 'We are delighted to welcome these two new carriers to Changi's network. Their services will improve Changi's connectivity and accessibility to their destinations.'

The two new airlines will be the sixth and seventh new airline to begin operations to Changi this year. Together, Changi will serve 98 airlines operating more than 5,000 weekly scheduled flights connecting Singapore to over 200 cities in 60 countries and territories.

The Philippines' Airphil Express and Malaysia's Berjaya Air will join the Changi Group in the next two weeks. -- ST FILE PHOTO: ALPHONSUS CHERN
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default HDB unable to allow exemptions for those who inherit overseas properties: Mah

Channel NewsAsia
    18 October 2010 1602 hrs

By Claire Huang

SINGAPORE : The Housing and Development Board (HDB) is unable to allow subsidised flat owners from owning overseas properties, even if they are inherited.

National Development Minister Mah Bow Tan said this in Parliament on Monday in response to a question from MP Lee Bee Wah, who asked whether HDB will allow exemptions to those who inherit foreign properties out of bequests.

"HDB is unable to allow exemptions for those who inherited these overseas properties as a general policy. However, I will ask HDB to look into the circumstances of special cases on appeal," said Mr Mah.

Mr Mah said the ministry has received a few hundred appeals from Permanent Residents (PRs) on this issue.

When asked how many of the appeals have been successful, Mr Mah said HDB is in the process of assessing them.

Under the current policy, HDB flat buyers are not allowed to own local or overseas private properties concurrently, within the Minimum Occupation Period.

From end August this year, the same rule also applies to buyers of non-subsidised flats.

Mr Mah said this is to ensure that those who can afford private properties anywhere do not compete for limited public housing subsidies.

He added that HDB flat buyers are required to declare any interest or ownership in private property, local or overseas.

Mr Mah also said that HDB conducts spot-checks locally and overseas.

The penalty for false declarations is a fine of up to S$5,000 or a jail term of up to six months, or both.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default World Urban Transit conference kicks off in Singapore

Channel NewsAsia
    19 October 2010 1143 hrs

SINGAPORE: More than 600 delegates from 20 countries will gather in Singapore for the World Urban Transit Conference on Wednesday to discuss and exchange ideas on sustainable and innovative urban rail transportation systems.

During the three-day conference, participants will discuss the challenges in railway infrastructure development and find solutions to improve the quality and effectiveness of transport system of cities.

Singapore will share some of the best practices learnt from major projects such as the Boon Lay MRT extension and the Circle Line.

The theme for the conference will revolve around "Sustainable and Innovative Urban Rail Transportation System".

Some of the discussion topics will include urban transit planning and studies; sustainable urban transit and the development, construction, operations and maintenance of rail transit.

The conference will also include Singapore's largest international transit exhibition to date, with more than 90 exhibition booths showcasing the latest technological developments in rail transit.

Signs at Promenade Station

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    The Straits Times
    Oct 19, 2010

Baseless attack on judiciary
    State counsel picks 14 passages which she says are contemptuous

By Selina Lum

THE Attorney-General's Chambers (AGC) yesterday accused a British freelance journalist of launching a baseless broadside against the Singapore judiciary in his book on the death penalty.

It was the opening of a scheduled three-day hearing in the High Court against Alan Shadrake, 75, for having allegedly impugned the impartiality, integrity and independence of Singapore courts in his book, entitled Once A Jolly Hangman: Singapore Justice In The Dock.

In the High Court, Deputy Senior State Counsel Hema Subramanian picked out 14 passages from his 219-page book which she argued were contemptuous.

She argued that the statements alleged or insinuated that the Singapore courts bowed to pressure from foreign governments, favoured the rich and privileged and were used as a tool by the ruling party to muzzle political dissent.

She made clear that Shadrake was not being tried for his view on the death penalty; others have expressed similar views without contempt proceedings brought against them, she said.

Shadrake, in his affidavit, claimed that the statements were not directed at the Singapore judiciary and denied that he intended to impugn the integrity of the courts here.

About the case

Alan Shadrake, 75, has been accused for having allegedly impugned the impartiality, integrity and independence of Singapore courts in his book, entitled Once A Jolly Hangman: Singapore Justice In The Dock.

The book's very title - Once A Jolly Hangman: Singapore Justice In The Dock - was a clear suggestion that the purpose of the book was to put the judiciary on trial and 'judge the judges of Singapore', said Deputy Senior State Counsel Hema Subramanian.
    The above is from the Straits Times. Other news media report the same case with an alternative view, http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.ph...765&Itemid=181 and http://www.temasekreview.com/2010/10...-on-singapore/.

Two different versions of the same thing. Now you be the judge.
    Does a culture of silence ring a bell here?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default UK author Shadrake made baseless attacks on S'pore judiciary: lawyer

Channel NewsAsia
    18 October 2010 1945 hrs

By Shaffiq Alkhatib

SINGAPORE : The Attorney-General's Chambers (AGC) has taken issue with 14 passages from a British writer's book which it said had called into question the integrity, impartiality and independence of the country's judiciary.

75-year-old Alan Shadrake is facing contempt of court charges over his book, "Once A Jolly Hangman: Singapore Justice in the Dock".

He has denied any intention to scandalise the Singapore's judiciary.

Deputy Senior State Counsel, Hema Subramaniam told Justice Quentin Loh that the prosecution was only proceeding on these 14 statements.

She pointed out that some of them alleged that certain criminal proceedings in Singapore favoured the wealthy and the privileged.

She added that other passages insinuated that the judiciary was used by the ruling party to muzzle political dissent.

Ms Subramaniam also told the court there were other parts of the book that had alleged that the judiciary succumbed to political and economic pressure.

However, Shadrake's lawyer, M Ravi said that the AGC was "hypersensitive" to criticism and should "stop and relax".

He stressed that the book was not written as a mean-spirited piece against Singapore's judiciary.

Instead, he said that it was a serious minded and compassionate examination of the workings of the death penalty.

Besides contempt of court, which is punishable by imprisonment and/or a fine, Shadrake is also under investigation for criminal defamation.

If convicted of this, he could be jailed up to two years and fined.

Shadrake, who was arrested on July 18, a day after the book was launched, will be back in court on Tuesday.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    Chris, thank you for your interest and support.
    (rest snipped for brevity)..
    Uncle Loh,
    - I was re-reading the first few pages of this thread and i noticed the discussions were fine and pretty civil and had less personal digs/jabs (yes, they included mr.t's postings as well). There were different members chiming in with their views/inputs/opinion, but i don't know what happened as the thread progressed??..
    - I re-read post #67, and yes, it pretty much suggests the same thing as i did..i'd say it's a pretty good reminder..
    - On that note, i must tip my hat off to you for the effort of selecting, updating and posting the articles, literally, every single day. Personally, i don't think i have the patience and time to do what you've been doing..Most likely, i'll just post the link to the news organization's website and let the members find/read the news themselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default A picture paints a thousand words

It is not necessary to be a genius to understand what the continued success

of Singapore means to many Malaysians.Who says Malaysians cannot?

Then why is LCW allowed to shine? Because he is not in a key or strategic sector!

So repeating the same message,don't rub salt into old wounds but look forward!
    Last edited by Bbn; 10-19-2010 at 08:01 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 10 teachers honoured with Inspiring Teacher of English Award

Channel NewsAsia
    19 October 2010 2012 hrs

By Alvina Soh

SINGAPORE : Ten teachers were honoured with the Inspiring Teacher of English Award on Tuesday.

They received their awards from Senior Minister of State for Education, S Iswaran at the National Library Building.

The award recognises teachers who use innovative ways to help students speak and write the language better.

Students of CHIJ Kellock Primary take English lessons from Lady Gaga's "sister".

Their teacher, Mrs Esther Chia - a recipient of the Inspiring Teacher of English Award - adopts a persona called "Lady GiGi" to get students to learn the language in a fun way.

"They see me as not just Mrs Chia, they also see Lady GiGi as a co-teacher of Mrs Chia. So with that, it makes them look forward to English learning, because they never know what I'm up to whenever I come to class," she said.

Meanwhile, fellow recipient Ms Rachel Poh makes literature come alive for her students at Ngee Ann Secondary.

She created an online Shakespeare avatar where students can talk to the Bard himself.

"Students are very familiar with using MSN and social networking sites like Facebook... It makes them interested because they think that Shakespeare is quite cool and that he can chat with us on MSN," said Poh, a recipient of the Inspiring Teacher of English Award.

It is a big hit with her students, who now find the Bard's works more interesting.

"MSN is very relevant to our daily lives, and we use MSN everyday, so we don't get bored easily. And it's not textbook-based," said Teo Jia Li, a student at Ngee Ann Secondary School.

Another recipient of the award is William Anthony Grosse from Rosyth School.

He spreads the joy of reading by loaning out his own books to students. The aim is to increase the students' awareness of different books and genres.

Grosse said: "I find that when a teacher tells them this book is great, it takes very little to set them off. And the next minute I know, three, four or five of them said (they've) borrowed the book from the library. So I find that a teacher has to share his or her own love for books and the reading."

The other recipients are:

Ms Karen Kang - Kent Ridge Secondary School;
    Mdm Kasimah Bte Yusof - Pasir Ris Crescent Secondary School;
    Mrs Sng Mee Lian - Catholic Junior College;
    Mrs Sky Frank - CHIJ Our Lady of the Nativity;
    Ms Angela Quek - Tampines Junior College;
    Mrs Lynette Shanti Vincent Siva - North View Primary School;
    Ms Lajwanti Thakurdas Melwani - White Sands Primary School.

All 10 teachers receive a certificate of commendation.

Mrs Esther Chia adopts a persona called "Lady GiGi" to get her students to learn the language in a fun way.

Rachel Poh (R), a teacher at Ngee Ann Secondary. She is one of the recipients of the Inspiring Teacher of English Award.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cabby is 'kindness champ'

The Straits Times
    Oct 19, 2010

By Chong Zi Liang

EAVESDROPPING is generally frowned upon, but overhearing his passenger's phone conversation won taxi driver Eddie Soh a kindness award.

The 55-year-old cabby picked up Mr David Christodoulou at his home in Siglap in Febraury 2009 and was driving him to town to meet a university buddy who he had not seen for 15 years.

Over the phone, Mr Christodoulou promised his old friend a treat. But when he got to his destination, he realised he had forgotten his wallet and had no money to pay his fare, let alone buy his friend a meal.

'I was expecting a tongue-lashing from Eddie, but he gave me $100 instead, saying I couldn't go meet my friend with no money,' the 39-year-old operations manager said.

And even though the money was almost all his day's earnings, Mr Soh did not hesitate to help. 'I knew from my experience his was a genuine case of forgetting his wallet,' he said.

For his kind deed, Mr Soh was among a record 267 public transport frontline staff to receive the National Courtesy Award Transport Gold on Tuesday - the largest number in the award's 11-year history.

He was also one of three 'Kindness Champion' award winners, a new category introduced this year where each of the three key service providers - ComfortDelGro Group, SMRT Trains Ltd and Transit Link Pte Ltd - nominate their most outstanding candidate.

Senior Parliamentary Secretary for Transport Teo Ser Luck, who was guest of honour for the event at the Singapore Conference Hall, noted that commuters are increasingly seeking a higher level of quality customer service.

But for Mr Christodoulou, who was at the event to hand Mr Soh some gifts and two hand-drawn cards by his daughters, public transport here is already world-class.

'I always say that Singapore taxi drivers are the best in the world. Every time I tell this story, no one can believe what amazing kindness I was shown,' he said.

Mr Soh (right) was among a record 267 public transport frontline staff receiving the National Courtesy Award Transport Gold on Tuesday. -- ST PHOTO: AIDAH RAUF

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 'HANGMAN' WRITER IN THE DOCK: Author admits factual error

The Straits Times
    Oct 19, 2010

By Khushwant Singh

BRITISH author Alan Shadrake on Tuesday admitted a factual error in his book and told the High Court he will be correcting it in the next print run.

Shadrake, a 75-year-old Briton, conceded he was wrong to state that first-time drug abusers ordinarily received the maximum 10 years' jail. But he denied scandalising the Singapore judiciary in his book, entitled Once a Jolly Hangman: Singapore Justice In The Dock.

His lawyer M. Ravi said that despite the error, Shadrake stood by assertions that the son of a former High Court judge, who was eventually jailed eight months for consuming cocaine, had been treated very leniently by the courts because of his family's wealth and standing. Mr Ravi argued that this was the perception of people on the street and on the Internet and Shadrake was just pointing this out.

However, Justice Quentin Loh noted that the author, described as an international investigative journalist by his lawyer, had to be aware there had been cases where offenders were placed on probation or fined. Added the judge: 'I don't think the average man on the street will think an eight-month jail term is too light'.

In court on Tuesday, Mr Ravi went through each of the 14 passages which were picked as contemptuous by Senior State Counsel Hema Subramaniam on Monday.

Taking each passage in turn, Mr Ravi argued that none of the allegedly contemptuous items posed any risk as Singaporeans were well-educated and could judge for themselves the truth of allegations made against the judiciary. The points made by Shadrake in the book constituted 'fair and reasonable criticism', the lawyer said.

Separately, Shadrake is being investigated by the police for criminal defamation, an offence which carries a maximum two-year jail term and a fine.

British journalist Alan Shadrake (right) and his lawyer M. Ravi outside the Supreme Court on the 2nd day of his hearing. -- ST PHOTO: AZIZ HUSSIN

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default HDB introduces new "Innovative Design" Award

Channel NewsAsia
    19 October 2010 2216 hrs

By Wayne Chan

SINGAPORE : The Housing and Development Board (HDB) handed out a new "Innovative Design" award at its annual Design and Construction Awards on Tuesday.

Targeting projects that have not been constructed, the new award aims to encourage architectural consultants to place more emphasis on good and innovative design, and serve as an impetus for consultants to fine-tune their design before the construction stage.

The "Innovative Design" award was given to WOHA Architects and SCDA Architects for their work on SkyVille@Dawson and SkyTerrace@Dawson respectively.

Guest-of-Honour at the event, Senior Minister of State for National Development and Education, Grace Fu, said Singapore's public housing achievements have not gone unnoticed.

Ms Fu gave out 11 awards to consultants and contactors who have contributed to the design and building of quality homes for Singaporeans.

She lauded HDB for winning the 2010 UN-Habitat Scroll of Honour Award.

SkyTerrace@Dawson

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bbn View Post
    It is not necessary to be a genius to understand what the continued success

of Singapore means to many Malaysians.Who says Malaysians cannot?

Then why is LCW allowed to shine? Because he is not in a key or strategic sector!

So repeating the same message,don't rub salt into old wounds but look forward!
    Foreign Talents for Singapore here to stay!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Theme park management course

The Straits times
    Oct 19, 2010

By Ng Kai Ling

NANYANG Polytechnic has developed a new module in theme park operations under its Hospitality and Tourism Management diploma programme to train students in how a theme park is run.

The module was developed by lecturer Kevin Wee after a two-month attachment at Universal Studios Singapore (USS) in Resorts World Sentosa (RWS) and will be offered to students next year. Students taking the module will learn the ins and outs of what makes a theme park tick - from how frontline staff handle guests to how a ride is conceptualised and implemented.

'As customers, we often see working in a theme park as just a frontline service job but a lot of things go on in the background, like the technical operations of a ride and details likes lighting and music,' said Mr Wee on Tuesday.

He was speaking to the media on the sidelines of a ceremony where RWS and Singapore's five polytechnics signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU).

As part of the MOU, RWS will give out a bond free scholarship to the top performing year two student from each of the polytechnic starting next year. It will also make way for more industrial attachment opportunities at the Integrated Resort for the students. 431 interns worked at RWS this year.

RWS' senior vice president of human resource and training Seah-Khoo Ee-Boon noted that the tourism and hospitality sector has grown quickly in the last few years. 'From our perspective, we are very anxious to groom a pool of talent in this sector and hopefully after their internship they will make this their career choice.'

She added that RWS is looking for 3,000 more employees by 2012 to add to its 11,000-strong team.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These are foreign talents that embarrass Singapore http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story...501&sec=nation and http://www.chiefofficers.net/8883338...t_turning_ugly.
    One thing is certain, Tiger Airways cannot continue like this else it will tank. Unlike the protected SIA and MAS through a price cartel arrangement Tiger Airways and AirAsia are budget airlines and you soar or sink on your own.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This http://www.hardhitting-nobs.blogspot...e-economy.html says it all. That happens when you fudge with numbers to blow your horn.