User Tag List

Page 293 of 507 FirstFirst ... 193 243 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 343 393 ... LastLast
Results 4,965 to 4,981 of 8616
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default RSS Archer submarine arrives in Singapore

The Straits Times
    Published on Aug 18, 2011

RSS Archer, the most advanced submarine in the Republic of Singapore Navy (RSN), arrived here for the first time on Wednesday morning.

Chief of Navy Rear-Admiral Ng Chee Peng and other senior naval officers were at Changi Naval Base to witness its arrival from Karlskrona, Sweden.

The Archer-class boat is one of two former Royal Swedish Navy Vaastergotland-class submarines acquired second-hand by the RSN in 2005. It was launched in Karlskrona for sea trials two years ago, after undergoing upgrading to operate in tropical water conditions.

Submarine crew members from the RSN have been in Sweden since 2007 to undergo training to operate and maintain the submarine.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Joseph reaches 100m fly final at World Juniors

by Tan Yo-Hinn
    12:04 PM Aug 18, 2011

SINGAPORE - National swimmer Joseph Schooling is through to the final of the boys' 100m butterfly at the ongoing 3rd FINA World Junior Swimming Championship in Lima, Peru.

The Singaporean teenager touched the wall in 54.16sec to qualify for today's final with the third fastest time.

American Maclin Davis was the fastest qualifier for the final with a time of 53.72sec, followed by Japan's Kenta Hirai in 53.76sec.

"I had a really bad turn and if I have a good turn tomorrow, and push that last 50 metres, I'll have a good shot at the gold medal," Joseph, 16, told TODAY via SMS from the South American city on last night (Thursday morning, Singapore time).

"I'm looking forward to tomorrow's race and I hope to do Singapore proud."

Florida-based Joseph, a holder of three national open records, had earlier clocked 54.45sec in Wednesday's preliminary heats to reach the semi-finals later on the same day, and for now, rest is will be a crucial part of his preparations for the final.

He said: "I'm just staying in my room and watching TV and trying to not think too much about the race."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default World's top female paddlers return to Singapore for World Cup battle

by Low Lin Fhoong
    Updated 04:19 PM Aug 17, 2011

SINGAPORE - Women's reigning world champion Ding Ning of China, World Cup winner Guo Yan and Japanese favourite Ai Fukuhara will join the world's top 20 players at the 2011 Volkswagen Women's World Cup at the Toa Payoh Sports Hall from Oct 28 to 30.

The Republic's world No 2 Feng Tianwei, Wang Yuegu and Li Jiawei, who created history by usurping China to win the World Team Table Tennis Championship title in Moscow last year, will also compete for honours in the US$150,000 ($180,600) tournament. World No 20 Li, who was awarded a wildcard by the International Table Tennis Federation, will battle South Korea's Park Mi Young for the final spot in the main draw during the tournament's opening game.

This is the second time that Singapore will host the prestigious, invitation-only event, after the inaugural competition in 2002, which saw China's four-time Olympic champion (2004, 2008) Zhang Yining claiming the title here.

The Republic's best performances at the World Cup were bronze medals in 2006 and 2008, courtesy of Li and Feng, respectively.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Singapore's roads rated the best in the world

TODAY

03:04 PM Aug 18, 2011

SINGAPORE - The Republic's road network has been rated the best in the world, in both design and safety.

It received the recognition at the annual Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE) awards ceremony held in St Louis, Missouri, on Monday.

The Land Transport Authority (LTA) was presented with the Edmund R Ricker Transportation Safety Council Award for its efforts in improving safety for road users in Singapore.

Only one award is given out in the individual and organisation categories each year.

Past winners of this prestigious international award include the World Bank, and city administrations in America and Australia for their efforts in promoting road safety.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 19-year-old awarded SPF Scholarship

04:46 AM Aug 19, 2011

Former Raffles Institution student Goh Chin Hou was awarded the Singapore Police Force Overseas Scholarship yesterday. Mr Goh, 19, will leave next month to read Economics at the University of Chicago and will undergo training at the Singapore Police Force Training Command after his studies. On returning, he will be posted to the land divisions to assume investigation and command appointments.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default On top of the world: Climber hits the heights on 7 continents

Women's Everest team leader is first S-E Asian female to do so

Published on Aug 22, 2011

Ms Lee en route to the summit of South America's highest peak, the 6,961m Mount Aconcagua, which she conquered in February this year. -- PHOTO: COURTESY OF JANE LEEBy Janice Tai

Two years after leading the first Singapore women's team to the top of the world's highest mountain, Ms Jane Lee has once again pushed the envelope.

When the 27-year-old got to the top of the 5,642m-high Mount Elbrus in Russia last month, she became the first South-east Asian woman to have scaled the highest summits on each of the seven continents.

Only 275 people have done this before her, and fewer than 40 of them are women.

The first South-east Asian man to achieve this feat was Mr Khoo Swee Chiow, who completed scaling all seven peaks in 2000.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Incidentally, the other six mountains she conquered were Asia's Mt Everest (8,850m), Australia's Mt Kosciuszko (2,228m), North America's Mt Denali (6,196m), South America's Mt Kilimanjaro (5,895m), and Antarctic's Mt Vinson (4,892m).

Asked if she is ever bored scaling one mountain after another, she shook her head vehemently, saying: "Climbing a mountain is never straighforward. You face spontaneous and unexpected environmental conditions that make each clime a unique experience.

"The same mountain can be quite different in different seasons, and descending can be quite different from the ascent."

Her love affair with scaling mountains has thrown in other adventures, seemingly as part of apackage deal.

She endured a hard landing on a runway of solid ice in Antarctica, climbed through five distinct climate zones on Mt Kilimanjaro, encountered snow storms that killed nine people on Mt Aconcagua and dodged Russian police in her climb up Mt Elbrus, which had been sealed off because of suspected terrorist activity.

The physically demanding climbs also forced her to get creative to survive in harsh environments.

In Alaska, where there was on one to help her carry her 44kg of equipment, she had to be strict about what to pack for her trip.

"I packed half a toothbrush and counted 40 M&Ms a day as food rations. I couldn't even afford to carry around extra M&M's," she said with a wry smile, referring to the chocolate candy usually eaten for pleasure and not sustenance.

For two weeks straight, potato crisps were her meals because they are high in calories, taste good even when crushed and are light to carry.

The frigid temperatures on the mountain-tops did not make life any easier.

Several times, she kept her water bottle in her sleeping bag, where it was warmer, only to find the water in it frozen by morning nonetheless.

She also developed frostbite from the few minutes whe took off her gloves to hold up her sponsor's banner on the summit of Mount Vinson.

The title sponsor of her climbs was offshore oil and gas support company Swiber Holdings.

"I know the time and experiences we can have are finite. Therefore, I don't give up easily because I'd never know when the same opportunity will come knocking again," Ms Lee said.

She has left professional climbing behind, and has started an MBA degree course at Yale University. She left for the United States on Aug 2.

She said: "I hope to land a green-collar job like natural-resource management after I graduate. Climbing will be a complement to my life. I'd like to develop other areas of my life."

Her idea of a graduation trip?

Cossing Greenland on skis.

(GOOD LUCK TO HER AND MAY SHE SUCCEED IN HER "ADVENTURES"0

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My apologies for the typo error.

South America's Mt Kilimanjaro (5,895m) should be South Africa's.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Iconic lanterns with Singapore flavour win contest

By Alvina Soh | Posted: 21 August 2011 2158 hrs

SINGAPORE: A grandmother-and-granddaughter pair have emerged as winners in the inaugural Singapore Iconic Lantern Design Competition.

Out of the final 18 entries, the judges were won over by Madam Ivy Yeo's eco-friendly lantern, which is made of recycled materials and powered by rechargeable batteries.

Coming in second position was the lantern made by Kriestel Angelica Teo Ying Qing, 11, who is the granddaughter of 59-year-old Mdm Yeo.

The third place went to the lantern made by Mr Ngoh Hwa Soon, 55.

The competition, organised by the Kreta Ayer-Kim Seng Citizens' Consultative Committee, aims to seek an iconic lantern that exudes a strong Singapore identity and flavour that can even represent Singapore at overseas festivals and international events.

"There're a lot of great lanterns around but Mdm Yeo's lantern really stood out," said Mr Misturu Iguchi, managing director of Sanyo Energy (S) Corp and one of the five judges. "Orchids are indeed very representative of Singapore. We are impressed that all the materials used are recyclable as it meets the contest criteria, given Singapore's limited resources."

As part of the Chinatown Mid-Autumn Festival 2011 celebrations, the winning designs, along with the other entries, will be exhibited at Central from 21 August to 25 September from 11am to 10pm.

- CNA/ir

1. Madam Ivy Yeo's lantern (R)
    2. Kriestel Angelica Teo Ying Qing's lantern which came in second.
    3. Second runner-up lantern design

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Youth Olympic Congress launched to champion youth issues

By Patwant Singh | Posted: 20 August 2011 2332 hrs

SINGAPORE: The inaugural Youth Olympic Games (YOG) last year put Singapore on the world sporting map.

It was also the most diverse youth congregation, with 205 territories represented.

Now the Games is being used to champion a more serious cause - armed conflict involving youths, or children and teens who end up being victims or casualties of wars.

Singapore held its inaugural Youth Olympic Festival at the Singapore Expo on August 14 to celebrate the first anniversary of the Youth Olympic Games (YOG) and spread the Olympic spirit.

The festival also combined the United Nation's 12th International Youth Day, 25th International Year of Youth, as well as the 10th International Year of Volunteers (IYV+10).

And 21-year-old Chai Ming Fui wants to use the event to highlight the problem of armed conflict involving youths.

"More than half of the victims in armed conflicts are youths, meaning children and teenagers. More than two million children in the last 10 years alone have been killed in armed conflict, more than six million have been permanently disabled and 20 million have lost their homes or become refugees of another country," said Chai, Chairman of the Youth Olympic Congress, and Chief Ambassador of International Year of Youth.

Chai has just finished his National Service and will do his undergraduate studies in the US.

Together with a friend, Chai started the Youth Olympic Congress to empower youngsters on this important cause.

His partner is Wang Ziqiao, also 21 years old. He is an IOC Youth Ambassador and helped Chai come up with the idea.

Chai said he has the blessings of the organisers of the Singapore Youth Olympic Festival to run his campaign.

And at the Youth Olympic Festival, they met some 3,000 people who visited their booth.

But the Internet is his real tool to reach out to the world.

"There are more than 200,000 YOG supporters, leaders and advocates on Facebook alone, and of course there are also the International Olympic Committee (IOC), Youth Ambassadors from 30 over countries. These are the platforms whereby we can leverage on to spread the message and raise awareness," said Chai.

And to raise awareness, Chai has also launched the Youth Olympic Truce. This is in line with The Olympic Truce launched in 1991 and endorsed by 184 National Olympic Committees.

12 August 2011 has been declared as the first Universal Youth Olympic Truce Day, founded in Singapore, to get youths globally to stand up for their rights.

Over the next one year, Chai will get the Youth Olympic Truce ratified by young people from around the world, after which it will be presented to the UN for submission to world leaders in the hope that they would take the appropriate action.

- CNA /ls

Photos:

Chai Ming Fui

Youths armed with weapons

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default NParks calls for ideas to improve green spaces

By Feng Zengkun

Spaces underneath MRT tracks and expressway viaducts may be converted to recreational spaces in the future, the National Parks Board (NParks) said on Monday.
    It is soliciting ideas from the public on how to improve green spaces here and gave the MRT idea as an example.

A new website, www.nparks.gov.sg/ciag, will accept suggestions from Monday, and the public can also contribute at a roving exhibition that will visit parks, schools and housing estates here.

The agency will also encourage participation on its Facebook page at www.facebook.com/nparksbuzz.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default He's primed for an Olympic finish

With an eye on London 2012, butterfly ace Schooling confident of making a grand splash at the SEA Games

by Tan Yo-Hinn
    04:46 AM Aug 22, 2011

SINGAPORE - Joseph Schooling plans to obliterate the 100m butterfly and 200m butterfly national records at the coming SEA Games. And he believes it will see him win two golds.

He may be only 16 but Joseph is clearly not short of confidence.

Rated as the next big thing in men's swimming in Singapore, he currently holds the 100m fly national record at 53.71sec and the 200 mark at 1min 58.95sec, both set at last month's ASEAN Schools Games.

The teenager's confidence stems from his performance at the 3rd FINA World Junior Swimming Championship, which ends this morning (Singapore time) in Lima, Peru.

He finished fifth in the 100m fly final and set a national 50m fly record of 24.95sec, re-writing Nicholas Tan's mark of 24.99 set in 2008.

Yesterday, he just missed out on a place in the final of the 200m fly after he clocked 2:02.41 in the heats to finish ninth overall.

Speaking to Today over the phone from Lima, Joseph said: "All these guys here are rested and tapered for this meet, while I just came off a 10-day break and haven't gone into the water a lot.

"I wasn't prepared for this meet physically and I'm still battling jet-lag. With everyone older than me, I think that's really good and I can't complain.

"My coach said when I taper for the SEA Games, I should be about 52 seconds for the 100, and about 51 seconds by the time next year's London Olympics start (July 27). So I should keep my head up high and keep going forward."

At the 2009 SEA Games in Laos, Malaysia's Daniel Bego won the men's 100 and 200 fly swimming in 53.82 and 2:00.61, respectively.

The semi-final cut at the 2008 Beijing Olympics was 52.94 for the 100 fly and 1:56.59 for the 200 fly.

Joseph has been studying at The Bolles School in Jacksonville, Florida, for the past two years and is coached by Spain's Sergio Lopez, a bronze medallist in the 100m breastroke at the 1988 Olympics in Seoul.

According to the swimmer, Lopez believes his student can clock sub-53sec for the 100 fly and around 1min 55sec in the 200 fly at this year's SEA Games, which will be held in Jakarta and Palembang from Nov 11 to 22.

The plan is to go sub-52 and about 1min 54sec at next year's Olympics, which will leave Joseph in a strong position to reach the semi-finals.

At last month's World Championship in Shanghai, Australia's Geoff Heugill finished eighth in the 100 fly in 52.36, while eight-placed Hungarian Bence Biczo clocked 1:55.53 in the 200 fly final.

Joseph, who also holds the national mark for the 200m individual medley (2:05.07), knows what it will take to meet the targets set.

The 1.82m tall former Anglo-Chinese School student said: "If I train hard and follow everything as planned, I may go 1:55, 1:54 in the 200 by the time of the Olympics.

"I'll just have to keep working hard ... and stay clear of injury because I tend to be injury prone. If I do that, I will be fine."

He expects a gruelling regimen ahead under Lopez. Training will include a strong emphasis on strength work as he focuses on building his leg strength.

"There will always be pressure (to deliver). The better you do, the more pressure there will be," said Joseph.

"Thankfully, I have a very supportive family, friends and especially my coach (Lopez). He keeps telling me not to pay attention to pressure, he'll handle all that, which is really comforting.

"I've just got to do my best and make my country proud."

Last edited by Loh; 08-22-2011 at 09:51 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default S'pore banks are top three safest banks in Asia: Global Finance magazine

By Ephraim Seow | Posted: 31 August 2010 1718 hrs

SINGAPORE : Singapore banks are the top three safest banks in Asia, according to the Global Finance magazine in its October 2010 issue.

DBS Bank clinched the top spot for the second year. OCBC took the second while UOB ranked third.

Globally, DBS Bank was ranked the 23rd safest bank, up one notch from 24th place last year.

OCBC was 31st while UOB was 32nd.

Global Finance said the banks were selected through a comparison of their long-term credit ratings and total assets of the 500 largest banks around the world.

It used ratings from Moody's, Standard & Poor's and Fitch.

Global Finance publisher Joseph D Giarraputo said banks that have strengthened their liquidity positions and the quality and quantity of their capital are recognised in these rankings.

He added that more than ever, customers around the world are viewing long-term creditworthiness as the key feature of the banks with which they do business.

This is on the back of the sovereign debt crisis in Europe and renewed concerns about the global economic outlook, which once again put the spotlight on bank safety. - CNA/ms

Asia's safest:

1. DBS Bank
    2. OCBC
    3. United Overseas Bank (UOB)
    4. China Development Bank (China)
    5. Agricultural Development Bank of China

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default All 8 national paddlers get nod for SEA Games

Aug 23, 2011

After an anxious month-long wait, Singapore's national paddlers have been selected to compete at the upcoming South-east Asia (SEA) Games.

All eight players - Feng Tianwei, Sun Beibei, Isabelle Li, Zena Sim, Gao Ning, Yang Zi, Ma Liang and Pang Xue Jie - earned the nod from the Singapore National Olympic Council's (SNOC) SEA Games appeal committee yesterday. But, despite giving the team the green light, the SNOC had strong words for the Singapore Table Tennis Association (STTA).

The nine-man committee chaired by SNOC president and Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean felt that the association had a 'less than desirable' selection process ahead of the Nov 11-22 Games.

STTA president Lee Bee Wah defended the association's selection process. 'Our players have been playing in international tournaments and... we know the capability of each player. The STTA did what was necessary to meet all our objectives and the objectives of Singapore,' she said, stressing her desire to give youth paddlers like Isabelle, 16, and Sim, 20, a chance to compete at major Games. Nevertheless, Ms Lee said she is glad that the committee approved their line-up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read with interest that Singapore banks( DBS, OCBC and UOB) are rated safest in Asia. I don't doubt their financial strength at all. I just wonder how do they fare against HSBC. I think the perhaps Global Financial Magazine categorize HSBC as European bank. HSBC is one helluva bank that brings fantastic returns to its investor. They are very strong as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gallery of Wang Gungwu's book collection opens at Iseas

Aug 24, 2011

By Lin Zhaowei

A personal collection of 1,200 books and articles by one of Singapore's top scholars is now available for viewing at the Institute of Southeast Asian Studies (Iseas) Library.

The donation was made by Professor Wang Gungwu, chairman of the Iseas Board of Trustees last April.

He also contributed over 440,000 pages of documents - including personal writings, correspondents and research notes - and more than 1,000 photographs, certificates and calligraphy pieces, which are still undergoing processing by the library.

Digital copies of the material - the largest such collection there - will be made available for reference within the next two years after they have been indexed and scanned, said Ms Ch'ng Kim See, head of the Iseas Library.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by victory View Post
    I read with interest that Singapore banks( DBS, OCBC and UOB) are rated safest in Asia. I don't doubt their financial strength at all. I just wonder how do they fare against HSBC. I think the perhaps Global Financial Magazine categorize HSBC as European bank. HSBC is one helluva bank that brings fantastic returns to its investor. They are very strong as well.
    You may be right. Often times survey indicators may vary and are subjective by different publishers, even on the same subject.