User Tag List

Page 294 of 501 FirstFirst ... 194 244 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 344 394 ... LastLast
Results 4,982 to 4,998 of 8510
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New aircon bus interchange at Serangoon mall linked to MRT

Published on Aug 25, 2011

A new, fully air-conditioned bus interchange will open at Serangoon Central on Sept 3.

Located at basement two of nex shopping mall, the new interchange is linked directly to Serangoon MRT station, where both the Circle and North East train lines operate.

Known as an Integrated Transport Hub, the new facility will replace the existing open-air interchange located about five minutes away from the mall.

The $18.8 million new interchange measures 7,000sqm and took slightly over two years to build.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default K-pop stars join other big names to perform at F1

Published on Aug 25, 2011

By Andy Chen

Korean pop mega stars G-Dragon, T.O.P. and Seungri are coming to perform at the 2011 Formula 1 Singtel Singapore Grand Prix.

The trio from popular band Big Bang will be at the Padang main stage (Zone 4) on Sep 23.
    They join Colombian singer Shakira and 1980s pop star Boy George as the biggest names fans will be looking out for at the Formula One race.

A Friday single-day Walkabout ticket, priced at $38, gives fans access to three entertainment stages in Zone 4. They can catch track action from the bleachers.

G-Dragon (left) and Top of K-pop group Big Bang performing at the Korean Music Wave 2011 held at the Singapore Indoor Stadium on 15 July 2011. -- ST PHOTO: MUGILAN RAJASEGERAN

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Top credit rating affirmed for Singapore

S&P ratings reflect Republic's 'fiscal strengths, prudence'
    Published on Aug 26, 2011

By Yasmine Yahya
    Singapore has maintained its position as a member of the exclusive - and shrinking - club of economies with top credit ratings.

Standard & Poor's (S&P) Ratings Services yesterday affirmed its AAA credit on Singapore's long-term government debt and an A-1+ rating on its short-term debt.

Simply put, these ratings mean that if an investor buys Singapore government bonds, S&P believes it is highly likely he will be repaid.

'We affirmed the ratings on Singapore to reflect the (country's) extensive fiscal and external strengths, and its solid record of prudent macroeconomic management,' S&P said in a statement.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YourSingapore Guide app for tourists
    Posted: 25 August 2011 1343 hrs

SINGAPORE: The Singapore Tourism Board launched a mobile application to help travellers explore Singapore on the go.

The "YourSingapore Guide" app jointly developed with American Express, Singapore Airlines, and StarHub allows visitors to access the latest and most essential information about Singapore, such as attractions and shopping deals, all at their fingertips.

Available for iPhone and Android smartphones users, the app has useful tools like a location-based service that displays the attractions, products and services that are closest to the visitors, wherever they are.

Travellers can also make use of the app to search for a restaurant nearby, plan travel routes and even call for a taxi.

- CNA/ck

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ticket cube on orchard road

Last month a Ticket Cube booth was launched on famous Orchard Road to help tourists book tickets to various places of interest and attractions.

In conjunction with this, drawings and descriptions of interesting places, events and F&B items were publicized for all to see.

Here are some pictures of what to expect when visiting Singapore:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tourists Attractions in Singapore

There are more attractions that tiny Singapore has to offer that many tourists may not realize when they first landed at Changi Airport, like our multi racial food offerings and the new attractions on Sentosa Island.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Orchard Road gets a face-lift

Orchard Road was once a huge plantation where spices were grown together with orchards of fruit trees, including the nutmeg, a gigantic sculpture of which is located outside the palatial ION shopping mall.

To bring back the history of Orchard Road and as a place for plants and greenery, giant glass panels embossed with pictures of old Orchard Rd scenes and the great variety of trees, plants and flora with relevant descriptions have been installed recently.

The walkways have been broadened and new street furniture including the tower lights have been introduced to make the place more convenient and enjoyable.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PE: Singaporeans go to the polls to elect new president
    Posted: 27 August 2011 0808 hrs

SINGAPORE: Some 2.27 million voters will go to the polls on Saturday to choose Singapore's seventh President.

Polling stations will open from 8am to 8pm.

The 781 polling stations are located at schools, Community Centres and void decks.

After polling ends, the votes will be counted at 162 counting centres.

Voters are advised to take public transport or where possible, walk to their polling stations.

Police said parking is generally not allowed within the premises of polling stations located in places like schools and community centres.

For polling stations located under HDB void decks, the parking lots immediately fronting the polling stations will be closed to facilitate polling activities.

There will be special drop-off points at each polling station for vehicles conveying sick, infirm or disabled persons.

MediaCorp will bring you full coverage of Polling Day, with reporters bringing 'live' reports from the ground.

A Polling Night programme will air on Channel NewsAsia from 10pm.

Other MediaCorp TV channels will scroll the results when they are made known.

MediaCorp Radio, the TODAY newspaper and MediaCorp online platforms will report on the activities and results as well.

- CNA/de/cc
    Last edited by Loh; 08-26-2011 at 11:04 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rugby: SRU's Delta premises to house NZ academy

By Patwant Singh | Posted: 26 August 2011 2207 hrs

SINGAPORE: The Singapore Rugby Union (SRU) would finally get a home of its own, with all facilities under one roof.

From October, the SRU will move in from its current premises in Toa Payoh to the Delta Sports Complex. The complex was the home of hockey which has since move to Sengkang.

Low Teo Ping, president of Singapore Rugby Union, said: "We will also be hosting, probably next year, the Asian Sevens. Plus, probably another event which could be the Asia Pacific Sevens. And, I believe this pitch would be able to be the venue for such events."

The complex will have features like corporate hospitality suites, a cafe and rugby-specific gym.

Officials are also in talks to use the adjacent ground belonging to the APSN Tanglin School, as a warm-up pitch.

The lighting is sufficient for TV broadcast needs, and in the long run, there are plans to add more seating, with SRU managing the facility currently owned by the Sports Council.

Renovations would cost more than a million dollars but the International Rugby Board would be paying part of the cost for the artificial pitch.

Jonathan Leow, assistant honour secretary & national under-20 coach of SRU, said: " We can have clubs here that don't have training pitches. (Being) based here would make things very easy for the development of the sport because we are currently moving all over the place in Singapore."

The one-stop centre would even house a rugby academy from New Zealand, called the International Rugby Academy New Zealand Ltd.

The academy is hoping to tap on the growing popularity of the sport in Asia, with Japan hosting the 2019 Rugby World Cup.

- CNA/ck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Be however technical as you want but electing the president of the republic serves little to no purpose.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wilfredlgf View Post
    Be however technical as you want but electing the president of the republic serves little to no purpose.
    Of course you are entitled to your own opinion. But the fact that Singaporeans are going to the polls to elect a President means they believe the President has a role to play. But don't expect Singaporeans to go to the polls to vote for a sultan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    Of course you are entitled to your own opinion. But the fact that Singaporeans are going to the polls to elect a President means they believe the President has a role to play. But don't expect Singaporeans to go to the polls to vote for a sultan.
    Well if you believe that he's more than just a rubber-stamp par-excellence, by all means - it's your tax money and I'm just the outsider.

The last line sounded like a dig but given the choice (or freedom to say so) I'd rather the institution doesn't exist.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PE: Dr Tony Tan pledges to be President for all Singaporeans

By Joanne Chan | Posted: 28 August 2011 0744 hrs

SINGAPORE: Singapore's President-elect Dr Tony Tan says he will be a President for all Singaporeans, and not just for those who voted for him.

He said the work begins straight away and he pledged to unify Singaporeans.

It was a sweet victory for Dr Tony Tan, capping off what he described as a "strenuous campaign".

As Polling Day stretched into the wee hours of Sunday morning, Dr Tan shuttled between the Elections Department and Toa Payoh stadium to await the results.

Dr Tan said he was glad Singaporeans were receptive to his message.

"I'm very happy to be given this opportunity again to serve Singapore and Singaporeans once again, this time as their President," he said.

Loyal supporters, who had camped out at Toa Payoh stadium, said the results were worth their wait.

One supporter said: "We are very proud to support a President who is good for Singapore. This is a job only suitable for the best man, the best man wins."

While Singaporeans may have been divided at the polls, Dr Tan pledged to reach out to all.

Dr Tan said: "It has been a hard-fought campaign. Now that it's over, we should all unite, put aside our political affiliations. The presidency is above politics and we shall all build a better Singapore for everyone."

And that building starts straightaway, with Dr Tan holding a media conference later on Sunday.

- CNA/de
    Last edited by Loh; 08-27-2011 at 09:48 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PE: Dr Tony Tan elected Singapore's 7th President

Posted: 28 August 2011

SINGAPORE: Dr Tony Tan has been elected Singapore's seventh President, winning by a 0.34 per cent margin, or 7,269 votes.

He secured 744,397 or 35.19 per cent of total valid votes, while Dr Tan Cheng Bock received 737,128 or 34.85 per cent of the valid votes.

Returning Officer Yam Ah Mee announced the results following a recount early Sunday morning.

He had allowed the recount as the difference in votes between the two leading candidates was less than two per cent of the total valid votes cast.

Mr Tan Jee Say got 529,732 votes or 25.04 per cent.

Mr Tan Kin Lian obtained 103,931 or 4.91 per cent of the votes. This means he will lose his election deposit of S$48,000.

Some 2.15 million Singaporeans, or 94.65 per cent of registered electors, cast their votes at 781 polling stations throughout the island on Saturday.

Announcing the results, Returning Officer Yam Ah Mee said the local votes counted are conclusive and that the overseas votes will not affect the results of the election.

5,504 Singaporeans have registered as overseas voters. Their votes will be counted on Tuesday, August 30.

The new President will be sworn in on Thursday, September 1.

Dr Tony Tan told reporters outside the Elections Department that he is extremely happy to serve Singaporeans once again.

In his thank you speech, he pledged to work for all Singaporeans.

"Thanks for being so patient and for all your support," he said, adding his thanks to his wife, family, friends, campaign team and all voters.

He also thanked the other three candidates who have campaigned with vigour, giving Singaporeans a choice.

Dr Tan said: "(A) President is a President for all Singaporeans, not only for those who voted for me, but also those who didn't vote for me. I plan to work for each and everyone of you."

He said the real work begins straight away after a strenuous campaign and he will strive to be the best President for all Singaporeans.

"Please support me and join me and my team ... (and) all of us work to build a better tomorrow for Singapore - a tomorrow which all of us ... can greet with confidence for the future," he added.
    Last edited by Loh; 08-27-2011 at 10:51 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default PE: President-elect Tony Tan lists urgent tasks

By Imelda Saad | Posted: 28 August 2011 1855 hrs

SINGAPORE: Singapore's President-elect Tony Tan has said that the most "urgent" task is to reach out to all Singaporeans.

He emphasised that the president works for all Singaporeans and he will not be an "ivory tower President", just as President S.R. Nathan was not.

Dr Tan said this at a press conference on Sunday afternoon, just hours after being elected Singapore's seventh President.

When asked his thoughts about the tight race and his winning margin of just 0.34 percentage points over his closest rival Dr Tan Cheng Bock, Dr Tony Tan said his results were "decisive" in Singapore's first past-the-post system.

"We should look forward to see what we can do rather than look backwards as to the narrow victory, the votes for the other candidates and for myself," Dr Tan said.

"I anticipate that this will be a subject for much commentary and analysis by political commentators and pundits in the coming days and months and I look for ward to reading their views and to see what they make of the elections.

"But as for myself, it's over; now, the question is we have to concentrate on the real work which is what we can do to make Singapore a better place and give Singaporeans a better quality of life."

Dr Tan's priority is to unite an electorate which some have said are polarised in their political views.

"I'm reaching out to all Singaporeans, not only those who support me but also those who have supported other candidates.

"The president must work for all citizens, regardless of who they (voted for); the president must be above politics. He cannot identify himself with any one party.

"All of us have a common destiny in Singapore, whatever party you belong to, whether you vote for me or did not vote for me, I will continue to work for all of you and I think that in the coming years, I will work to unify Singaporeans, heal some of the divisions that exist now and emphasise the need for unity and a common purpose.

"In this way I am confident that we will be able to share a common purpose."

Dr Tan acknowledged that with a more vocal electorate, the process of government would be more difficult, with more confusion and slower decision making.

But he said it is good to have a diversity of views as it enriches society.

As part of the engagement process, Dr Tan wants to use various platforms, such as tea sessions and online social networks to reach out to Singaporeans.

Dr Tan also said: "I don't think it's fair to describe, for example President Nathan's tenure as being in an ivory tower. I think he's made a great effort to reach out to Singaporeans.

"I intend to do the same, not to isolate myself in the Istana but to reach out to various groups, to take an interest in particular issues and to meet a wide spectrum of Singaporeans from all walks of life, different interest groups, to work with them and for them in order to help advance their causes for the benefit of Singaporeans".

With an uncertain global economy, Dr Tan said he hopes to use his experience to help steer Singapore out of troubled waters.

"I view the global economic situation with grave concern. There are problems in Europe, in US. The credit rating has been downgraded. Japan also has its credit rating downgraded as well and many countries, including Singapore, are lowering their growth projections for this year and possibly for next year as well.

"We don't know whether all of these problems will eventually cause another global economic and financial crisis. A lot depends on the actions of government and policy makers and central bankers in the coming weeks and months. We have to monitor this very carefully and with my background in GIC as well as in OCBC.

"I have a wide circle of contacts in the global economic field. I keep up with the news and I can share these views with the prime minister and the other ministers in private meetings.

"The prime minister and his Cabinet will eventually have to make the right decisions but with the experience which I have had over 30 years, I hope that some of my insights and views will be helpful to the PM and his Cabinet when they have to make difficult and uncertain decisions."

"I think the coming weeks and months will be trying for Singapore but we have to remember that Singapore's fundamentals are strong. We have faced challenges before.

"One of the reasons why I decided to run for the presidency is to be able to make a contribution towards resolving some of these issues and helping Singapore to ride through the next crisis if it should hit us. And now that I have been elected as president, I think that will enable me to play that role but one has to recognise that the final decisions will have to be made by the prime minister and his Cabinet."

When asked about the role his wife Mary will play, Dr Tan described how she has always been a pillar of support for him.

"I know my wife Mary has always had a deep concern for people in need, particularly for the older folks; I'm sure that she will be a great first lady and she will fulfil that position with grace and distinction and make a contribution to Singapore in her own right.

"But I still look forward to her support for me as I carry out my functions in the presidency."

During campaigning, there was a lot of talk about the role and responsibility of the elected president in Singapore and Dr Tan said he believes the debate will not end here.

He said the Constitution will evolve because it is a living document and he said he'll do his best to meet the high expectations of Singaporeans.

Dr Tan will be sworn in on Thursday as Singapore's seventh head of state.

Channel NewsAsia will carry the ceremony 'live' at 7.30pm.

-CNA/wk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dr Tony Tan Keng Yam - a short biography of our President-elect

A longer version could be found in Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Tan_Keng_Yam

The Business Times (Singapore)

August 29, 2011
    By Michelle Quah

Extracts:

The man who proclaimed his "confidence for the future" has now been gifted with the powers of his office to make good on that claim.

The "prophetic powers" of the man who warned in April 2008 that the world could face its worst recession in 30 years, months before the meltdown of global markets, will be put to the test again.

And the man whom the government touted as being "eminently qualified" for the job will have to bring his past experience to bear.

"With my background - in Parliament, in GIC (the Government of Singapore Investment Corporation) and also in the private sector - with my experience and, I think, a certain steadiness of temperament, I will be able to play a role in working with the government of political parties and civil society to get across the next crisis," said Dr Tan.

"I have a very deep knowledge of the world economy. I have extensive contacts throughout the world. I have significant experience in managing this."

He certainly has the resume to back it up. The former St Patrick's School and St Joseph's Institution student topped his physics class in university, before going on to earn a PhD in applied mathematics. He later became a banker at OCBC Bank, after which he was inducted into the world of politics.

As member of the ruling People's Action Party (PAP), he headed the ministries of finance, trade and industry, health and education, before leaving to rejoin OCBC Bank as its chief executive and chairman.

He was invited back to politics as deputy prime minister (DPM) and defence minister after then-DPMs Ong Teng Cheong and Lee Hsien Loong were diagnosed with cancer. Then, Dr Tan famoulsy declined an offer of make-up pay, saying "the interests of Singapore must take precedence over that of a bank and my own personal considerations".

He left after 10 years and later became the executive director of GIC and the chairman of Singapore Press Holdings (SPH) - stepping down from both positions two months ago to run for president.

Dr Tony Tan Keng Yam

* Born in 1940
    * Married with four children and five grandchildren

Current

Elected President of Singapore
    * Chairman, National Research Foundation
    * Deputy chairman, Research, Innovation and Enterprise Council
    * Patron of Singapore Dance Theatre; Singapore Computer Society; SJI International;
    Duke-NUSS Medical School; Singapore Swimming Association; MIT Club of Singapore; and Dover Park Hospice

Previous

* Lectured in mathematics at University of Singapore
    * Joined OCBC in 1969, became general manager
    * Elected Member of Parliament in 1979, appointed Senior Minister of State for Education, before joing the Cabinet in 1980
    * Served as Minister in the Education, Trade & Industry, Finance and Health ministries between 1980 and 1991
    * Re-joined OCBC as chairman and CEO from 1992-1995, while remaining an MP
    * Returned to Cabinet as Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Defence in 1995
    * Became Co-0rdinating Minister for Security and Defence, while remaining DPM, in 2003
    * Stepped down from Cabinet in 2005, retired from politics before 2006 general election
    * Executive director and vice-Chairman, Government of Singapore Investment Corporation until June 30, 2011
    * Chairman, Singapore Press Holdings until June 30, 2011

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Istana grounds open to public on Tuesday for Hari Raya

The Straits Times
    Published on Aug 29, 2011

The Istana grounds will be open to the public on Aug 30 to celebrate Hari Raya Puasa. Opening hours are from 8.30am to 6.00pm.

The Istana is the official residence of the President of the Republic of Singapore. It occupies over 40 hectares of land along Orchard Road.

The bands from Zhonghua Secondary School and Poi Ching School will be performing. There will also be a Malay dance performance put up by the People's Association and an exhibit of Falabella miniature horses by the Singapore Zoo. Visitors can also get their face painted by makeup artists from Cosmoprof Academy.

Admission to the Istana grounds is free for Singaporeans and Singapore permanent residents. Others visitors are required to pay an entrance fee of $1 per person.

The Istana grounds will be open to the public on Aug 30 to celebrate Hari Raya Puasa. Opening hours are from 8.30am to 6.00pm. -- ST PHOTO: SHAHRIYA YAHAYA