User Tag List

Page 3 of 523 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 53 103 503 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Singapore Table Tennis coach, Liu GuoDong, did not even qualified enough to be nominated Coach of the year eventhough he helped Singapore to win a Silver medal in Olympic 2008.

What do you say, Uncle Loh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow... interesting subject. In other forum, its a heated topic as well.

Well, Mas Selamat is caught. Everyone is happy here. His face no longer pasted everywhere. Sickening.. Hope the causeway is less jammed now.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mas has do spore a favour by arresting him
    hope singapore can learn their lesson this time
    btw, not sure how can he come out from the jail?? with so tight security??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

complacency do happen. now move on and make money on stock market.

Singapore market is good now. So don't miss the boat people... long it and invest in moderation. You can have more rackets to smack in a years time. Guaranteed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dato Asbullah View Post
    Singapore Table Tennis coach, Liu GuoDong, did not even qualified enough to be nominated Coach of the year eventhough he helped Singapore to win a Silver medal in Olympic 2008.

What do you say, Uncle Loh?
    Actually your post is not within the thread topic, but since 'Singapore also can' win an Olympic medal, I supposed it is only a slight side-track.

As you know the STTA, in not nominating Liu for the "Coach of the Year" award, has already given their reasons. As the national table tennis body they are the best to judge those under their responsibility.

However, as an outsider, I must be disappointed that Liu was not nominated and if he had been, I dare say he has high chances of capturing that award, which finally did not go to any other coach that was nominated by their respective NSAs. But just as the Awards Selection Committee had to accept STTA's decision, I also have to bear with it.

Singaporeans were in tears (of joy ) when our ladies won the Beijing Olympics team silver medal to be the second best women's team in the world. We can boast of only one Olympic medal, also a silver, but this was captured some 40 years ago, so last year's win was a tremendous relief and pride for Singapore sports.

Seriously, no country can expect to beat China in table tennis and it will be a very, very long time if someone can do this. The recent World Championships (?) in Japan proved that no country can come close to overtaking China as she swept all the titles available. Such is China's dominance in table tennis that even their badminton team pales in comparison.

I think Liu's predicament is much of his own doing, unfortunately. The Beijing Olympics man's singles 3rd round fiasco was one. I believe he was in charge of the other coaches as well apart from our women's team and if you were the player concerned, without any help at the crucial 3rd round and having to lose to a lower ranked player, you naturally will feel very frustrated and disappointed as the Olympics could mean your only chance in a lifetime as a sports person.

Liu did not show much remorse over that incident, instead it seemed bad blood started to emerge in his dealings with the STTA. He even rebuffed the STTA by not accepting the term of his re-employment as coach, particularly his salary which he deemed to be too low.

So the lesson is, one may be the best coach in the world technically speaking, but if one's relationship with players and the boss is not congenial and smooth sailing, then one has to bear the consequences. In this case not only IQ and TQ (Technical Quotient) are required, EQ is still relevant, as in most other cases when one wants to be really successful.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by extremenanopowe View Post
    complacency do happen. now move on and make money on stock market.

Singapore market is good now. So don't miss the boat people... long it and invest in moderation. You can have more rackets to smack in a years time. Guaranteed.
    My friend, I hope you can keep within the topic. You may wish to start a chit-chat thread on "how to make easy money on the Singapore stock market" and good luck to you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by george@chongwei View Post
    mas has do spore a favour by arresting him
    hope singapore can learn their lesson this time
    btw, not sure how can he come out from the jail?? with so tight security??
    You can be sure that Singapore will continue to learn as many lessons as possible on how to be better in as many things as possible, not only in this Mas Selamat case. That's to ensure that Singapore Also Can.

According to reports in the Straits Times, May 8, 2009, Singapore's Internal Security Department provided the intelligence late last year that enabled a joint operation by Malaysia and Singapore's security agencies to eventually capture the fugitive in Johor on April 1 (and it is not an April Fool's joke. ) Being 'free' for 13 months, Selamat took the opportunity to plot further terrorist activities to harm Singapore and probably elsewhere until his arrest.

48-year-old Mas Selamat was born in Central Java in Jan 1961 and migrated with his family to Singapore where he was educated in an English medium primary school and later got married with 5 kids in the 1980s.

In 1990 he joined Darul Islam, a movement that had fought for an Islamic state in Indonesia in the 1950s. DI is believed to have spawned several key leaders of the Jemaah Islamiah (JI) terrorist network, inclduing its founders.

In 1992 he was recruited into the religious council of the Singapore JI cell. He went to Afghanistan for military training in 1993 and returned there in 1998 for one month to observe the Taleban system of government.

In 1999 the alleged JI operations chief Hambali chose Selamat to take over as the leader of JI operations in Singapore.

In December 2001, Selamat fled Singapore after the Singapore government cracked down on JI terrorists and arrested 13 suspects. Selamat made his way to Medan and then Bali in Indonesia, via Malaysia and Thailand.

Thankfully, the arrests thwarted plans by JI to attack the Singapore Yishun MRT station and US naval vessels in Singapore. In revenge, Selamat was believed to have discussed with Hambali a plan to crash an American, British or Singapore plane into Changi Airport.

In Feb 2003, tip-offs by the Singapore authorities had led Indonesian police to monitor Mas Selamat's movements after he arrived in Indonesia. They traced him to Tanjung Pinang in Bintan and arrested him just after he arrived by ferry from Dumai in Riau. He had a genuine Indonesian passport then, issued in Surabaya, with a false indentity and name Edi Haryanto.

After Mas Selamat was released in August 2005, the Singapore police made another request to their Indonesian counterparts to track him again. In Jan 2006, they found him at a neighbourhood mosque in Sengkaling, East Java. He was handed over to Singapore the following month.

The above events showed how a seemingly innocent boy can be brainwashed to become a highly dangerous terrorist with supporting network in the region and elsewhere.

It also showed how cooperation by the Intelligence Services of the neighbouring countries, in this case, Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore can help to reduce the terrorist threat.

But no security system is full-proof as even the most powerful country in the world, the US, had experienced during 9/11.

In Singapore's case, and as what Zuraidah Ibrahim has said in her writeup in the Straits Times:

"Meanwhile, if nothing else, Singaporeans may have learnt from Mas Selamat's escape the costs of complacency. His recapature should teach us the value of patience and persistence.
    Last edited by Loh; 05-09-2009 at 04:43 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loh, I think people in Singapore are still asking the question how did he got away so easily from a Singapore prison? Did the prison chief, police chief, and the minister of home affairs resign to take responsibility? What if he escapes a second time?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What makes Singapore famous in the world?
    Very good question!!

I really admire the Singaporian's spirit that Uncle Loh demonstrates!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    Loh, I think people in Singapore are still asking the question how did he got away so easily from a Singapore prison? Did the prison chief, police chief, and the minister of home affairs resign to take responsibility? What if he escapes a second time?
    Yes it was a very embarrassing episode and some of those directly involved had to resign. Much of the security lapses were due to complacency.

The same Straits Times report yesterday said the Committee of Inquiry set up to investigate the case found that several security lapses allowed Mas Selamat to escape. They included a window with no grilles, guards who failed in their duties and CCTV cameras that were not commissioned.

In May 2008, 9 officers and guards, including the commander of the detention centre and his superior, were penalised. Two were dismissed, three demoted and four relieved of duties are given reprimands and warnings. The Internal Security Department (ISD) also corrected errors at the detention centre and tightened security.

With the recapture of Mas Selamat as a result of ISD's leads to their Malaysian counterparts, ISD has redeemed itself to a certain extent.

I suppose detention centres do not have that sort of tight security found in prisons and this may have given the very experienced Selamat the chance to escape. Selamat has escaped detention several times before.

As reported in the same ST, in January 2002, when the Singapore authorities discovered plans by the JI to stage a series of terror attacks on local shores and swooped in on JI members here, Mas Selamat somehow got wind of it and fled the country.

He and several others were believed to have crossed over to Malaysia before making their way to Thailand and then to Medan, Indonesia. For the next year or so, he led the Indonesian authorities on a wild goose chase, never staying for more than a few months in Medan, Denpasar, Surabaya, Padang or Dumai and travelling by ferry or bus.

He also changed his appearance and identity by shaving his beard, changing his name or wearing a cap low to hide part of his face.

However in February 2003, alerted by Singapore authorities, Indonesian police caught him in Tanjung Pinang, Bintan, just after he arrived from Dumai, a town in Riau, with his wife and children. He was carrying a fake identity card and passport passing off as Edi Haryanto, and was sentenced to 18 months jail for immigration and document violations.

He then planned his first escape. One day he asked to be left alone to say his prayers. Granted his wish, he jumped out of a window, landed hard on the ground and broke his left leg. However, the Indonesian police reacted in time, and caught him. He was jailed for another 16 months in Pasuruan, East Java, for the same offences when his earlier 18-month term ended in August 2004.

He was given an early release in August 2005 and was 'free' for about five months before the police arrested him again in Malang in January 2006 for the same false identification offence which gave his name as Hendrawan.

A month later Mas Selamat was handed over to the Singapore authorities, ending a four-year wait for the man who had once plotted to hijack an aircraft to crash into Changi Airport. He was then detained under Singapore's Internal Security Act at the Whitley Road Detention Centre, where he was later to make his headline news escape.

Being a small country with limited human resources, I could understand why Singapore cannot afford to sack many more officers or require the minister to step down voluntarily, as is sometimes the case in other especially bigger countries. In fact as I recall, during the London terrorist attack a few years ago, was it the minister or the police head who even refused to step down, giving the reason that he was not directly involved and he had to remain to help sort out the attack and find remedial solutions in the event another attack should be mounted.

In comparison, Singapore's Mas Selamat escape case was less dangerous as no property or lives were lost. Because of patience and persistency (in wanting to recapture Selamat whatever it took) Selamat has now been brought back to justice.

What happens if such an event were to take place again in the future, I can't tell. But I hope the lessons learnt will prevent similar and more devastating occurences from taking place. The security and intelligence agencies of the neighbouring countries are now better placed to face the situation with the sharing of information, cooperation and concerted action.
    Last edited by Loh; 05-09-2009 at 09:11 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be a great shame for Singapore on the Mat Selamat's case. (Not nice to hear, but i think Singapore should admit it)

But, after reading all posting from Uncle Loh at this thread, i found 1 conclusion:-

- This thread is only accepting/ discussing of Singapore's achievements and good things. ALL NO GOOD THINGS / NEGATIVE ISSUE AGAINST SINGAPORE IS PROHIBITED.

Correct me if i am wrong, Uncle Loh.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be a great shame for Singapore on the Mat Selamat's case. (Not nice to hear, but i think Singapore should admit it)

But, after reading all posting from Uncle Loh at this thread, i found 1 conclusion:-

- This thread is only accepting/ discussing of Singapore's achievements and good things. ALL NO GOOD THINGS / NEGATIVE ISSUE AGAINST SINGAPORE IS PROHIBITED.

Wah Dato, you "sangat pandai" hah, but nothing to be shameful about if you can learn from it and improve. Then later on you can share your experience and knowledge with others who seek. So it is a win-win situation.

Well many have said if you don't make any mistake, you'll never learn. So the positivie side is that we continue to learn from our mistakes. Learn not to feel so bad if you have made a mistake.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...And to continue to counter your statements...

Of course Singapore has admitted the lapses and it has been well publicised in the media. It has set up an Inquiry Committee to investigate the issues and point out the loopholes in the security system.

But Singapore has also resolved to bring the terrorist home and Mas Selamat will be coming home when the Malaysian authorities have finished their own investigations, particularly his connections with the JI in Malaysia. Because of Singapore's leads, Malaysia also managed to nap some JI activists. Now this is a 'win-win' situation for both countries, don't you think so?

There is no way that any democractic country can prohibit criticism against it, especially when the internet is free. Just read the daily press and you can find unhappiness and criticisms all over the pages. So your observation is again faulted. And constructive criticiism can in fact help one to do better the next time.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think Mas Selamat was recaptured after Singapore's ISD provided intelligence to Malaysia, as claimed by the Straits Times in Singapore, although this may look good for Singapore after its great embarrassment at his 5-minutes toilet escape in 2008. How would both Malaysia and Indonesia feel by this claim without giving these two countries due credit for their important role in Mas Selamat's recapture? I strongly believe that all three countries, Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore shared intelligence that resulted in his recapture.
    Mas Selamat was earlier captured by Indonesia and handed over to Singapore in 2006. He escaped in 2008. Now he has been recaptured in Malaysia. Malaysia will eventually hand him over to Singapore as he is a Singapore citizen. This time I hope there will be no second escape.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    I don't think Mas Selamat was recaptured after Singapore's ISD provided intelligence to Malaysia, as claimed by the Straits Times in Singapore, although this may look good for Singapore after its great embarrassment at his 5-minutes toilet escape in 2008. How would both Malaysia and Indonesia feel by this claim without giving these two countries due credit for their important role in Mas Selamat's recapture? I strongly believe that all three countries, Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore shared intelligence that resulted in his recapture.
    Mas Selamat was earlier captured by Indonesia and handed over to Singapore in 2006. He escaped in 2008. Now he has been recaptured in Malaysia. Malaysia will eventually hand him over to Singapore as he is a Singapore citizen. This time I hope there will be no second escape.
    Well, that was what was published and the Malaysian authorities did not raise any objections. Why would Malaysia want to inform Singapore soon after the recapture if they were not working closely together?

When Mas Selamat escaped, there were a lot of conjectures, much negative speculation and unfounded conclusions. Some even went to the extent of saying Mas Selamat was dead.

But you're right in that the intelligence agencies of all three countries must be sharing information on the terrorists, their whereabouts and their plans and if necessary they will work together so that they won't be caught unawares with anything untoward. The menace is too much for just one country to cope.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

alright, shall we stop about the mat selamat case now??

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by george@chongwei View Post
    alright, shall we stop about the mat selamat case now??
    Thank you George.

Page 3 of 523 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 53 103 503 ... LastLast