User Tag List

Page 30 of 515 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 80 130 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default S'porean in 240km race

The Straits Times
    Nov 11, 2009

SINGAPOREAN Keith Hong, 32, will take on an experienced field of superfit runners in Australia's longest ultra-marathon, a 240km race on Dec 11.

The event - the Coast to Kosciuszko ultra-marathon - starts at Boydtown Beach, near Eden in New South Wales and winds its way to the Strzelecki monument which sits atop Mt Kosciuszko, at 2,228m above sea level, before finishing 9km down at Charlotte Pass, the closest that public vehicles can get to the summit, organisers of the race said in a press statement on Wednesday.

Hong, a relative novice with only three years ultra-marathon experience, would be the first Asian and first Singaporean to complete this race, if he makes the 46-hour cutoff.

Wanting to get a feel of what he would be up against, Sydney-based Hong decided a year ago to act as a crew/pacer for another runner in the 2008 race.

"While not knowing what I am facing could be a blessing, seeing the entire course prior allows me to prepare myself physically and mentally for the race, specifically the terrain, weather condition, and of course the distance' said Hong, who works as a Clinical Research Associate for a Pharmaceutical Contract Research Organisation in Sydney.

'Last year, the race had torrential storm and 120km/h wind in the last 30km. This year, I am hoping it will be hot, hot and hot. Being a Singaporean, a hot weather is somewhat to my advantage,' said Hong, who will be joined by quality field of ultra runners from Australia, many of them representatives from the recent inaugural Commonwealth ultra championship.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Get best into local varsities

The Straits Times
    Nov 11, 2009

Dhanabalan, Jayakumar explain why Singapore's best should be taking their first degrees here

By Sue-Ann Chia & Rachel Chang

SINGAPORE should encourage more of its best and brightest to get their first degree from a local university, said former minister and Temasek Holdings chairman S. Dhanabalan, 72, on Tuesday.

'We may have swung a little bit the other way where the best of our top students go overseas,' he told reporters before receiving an award from the National University of Singapore (NUS).

'I personally don't think it's good for Singapore.'

One way to reverse this situation, he suggested, is to change how scholarships are given out to ensure a fair distribution.

Currently, top students aim to receive an overseas scholarship as it is seen as more prestigious than a scholarship to a local university.

But, said Mr Dhanabalan: 'We need people at the top, in all sectors of society, who have experience of the world as well as a good understanding of Singapore.

TV celebrity Jeanette Aw, who received the Outstanding Young Alumni award, with Senior Minister S. Jayakumar (centre) and Temasek Holdings chairman S. Dhanabalan, who both received the Eminent Alumni Award, the top accolade for graduates with outstanding achievements. -- ST PHOTO: DESMOND WEE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    You missed your chance already! I thought you would be here during the last F1.
    no more other chance?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really can't understand why you kept on using other peoples' negative comments to include in this thread. These people have other more relevant forums to air their views. Maybe this is your mentality and you seem to have a personal agenda against Singapore, which is most unfortunate.

Despite what others may say, we are still moving forward and trying to make the most of what we have. But no thanks to you for trying to dampen our spirits!
    If things are really happened, it is not so-called 'dampen spirits'.

I have no feeling against Singapore, simply because i am not Singaporean. Whether she did great or not, i dont care at all.

I dont think the statement is what you called 'negative comment'. Instead, it is really happened. The only wrong is some people hate to face reality. They choose to sweep the rubbish under the bed. And this is what i think, most unfortunate.

Uncle, if you feel uneasy of what i post in your very-own thread, tell me, or PM me, i will delete it. It's ok for me.

Again, I had no feeling against Singapore, whether is good or not.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dato Asbullah View Post
    If things are really happened, it is not so-called 'dampen spirits'.

I have no feeling against Singapore, simply because i am not Singaporean. Whether she did great or not, i dont care at all.

I dont think the statement is what you called 'negative comment'. Instead, it is really happened. The only wrong is some people hate to face reality. They choose to sweep the rubbish under the bed. And this is what i think, most unfortunate.

Uncle, if you feel uneasy of what i post in your very-own thread, tell me, or PM me, i will delete it. It's ok for me.

Again, I had no feeling against Singapore, whether is good or not.
    Thank you and I'm glad to note that you have no ill-feelings against Singapore. We should keep it that way to promote harmonious relationships.
    I have stated on the onset that this thread is meant to talk about positive things, achievements, etc, that could lift us to do better.

What I'm trying to tell you is that there will always be different points of view, some favourable others unfavourable, but it doesn't mean that whatever was said must necessarily be true. The views expressed in your post are personal views which may not be representative of Singaporean society. If they are relevant, the appropriate authorities will be hard pressed to give an answer.

So by saying that "some people hate to face reality" you are trying to say we are wrong, which may not be true. Furthermore, there may be opposing views and exchanges regarding your post in other forums which may be the more relevant venues and not in my thread here.

The internet is a place where people can air their views on all sorts of topics and under all sorts of names. Most of the time you don't even know who are behind those names and what are their motives, unless they come from an official source, So don't expect me to comment on such views especially when they don't relate to our subject of discussion.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by george@chongwei View Post
    no more other chance?
    For you special lah!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uncle Loh,

Fyi, I love Singapore. I love the nasi padang and the chicken rice there, especially. I love taking your MRT. But most of all, I love your Singapore girls. The only thing which i dont like is the exchange rate

I am for harmonious relationships (can we please have back our Pulau Batu Puteh, you lot named it Pedra Branca now). As neighbours, we should co-exist peacefully. Anyway, Singapore wont dare fool around with Malaysia because we have that Scorpene submarine.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For you special lah!
    thanks you very much in advance, uncle loh.
    i'm deeply touched of you giving me 'special treat'

ok, im here awaits your 'special treat' to me soon..
    hehe

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pemuda View Post
    Uncle Loh,

Fyi, I love Singapore. I love the nasi padang and the chicken rice there, especially. I love taking your MRT. But most of all, I love your Singapore girls. The only thing which i dont like is the exchange rate

I am for harmonious relationships (can we please have back our Pulau Batu Puteh, you lot named it Pedra Branca now). As neighbours, we should co-exist peacefully. Anyway, Singapore wont dare fool around with Malaysia because we have that Scorpene submarine.

Thank you my young man, we also kena the unfavourable exchange rate when we first started out on our own. Our dollar was then less than your ringgit okay! So I crossed the causeway less often because we had to pay more. I hope with higher incomes now, Malaysians will visit Singapore more often, especially when Resorts World has completed its Integrated Resorts with Universal Studios at Sentosa by first quarter next year.

Talking about Pedra Branca, it was because we wanted to settle the dispute amicably that we agreed to let the International Court of Justice decide on the matter.

This afternoon I just returned from a visit to the HDB Hub to have a look at the Punggol Waterway winner's exhibit which ends on 22nd Nov. Coincidently, the HDB has mounted a pictorial account of Singapore's history, highlighting significant milestones during more than 40 decades of our independence, I think, to especially let the Apec delegates have an idea of our history and achievements. The Pedra Branca episode was included and I now show you what has been put up:

"The dispute over ownership of the island of Pedra Branca between Singapore and Malaysia was triggered on 21 December 1979, when Malaysia published a map entitled "Territorial Waters and Continental Shelf Boundaries of Malaysia", in which Pedra Branca was shown to be part of Malaysia. The Singapore Government issued a formal protest in the form of a Third Party note to Malaysia on 14 February 1980 disputing this claim.

In 1847, the British government had taken possession of the island and built a lighthouse named in memory of hydrographer James Horsburgh, who mapped waterways around Singapore. For the next 130 years, no other counrty had exercised or claimed jurisdiction over the island and the lighthouse was operated and maintained by Singapore.

After extended diplomatic exchanges failed to resolve this issue, Singapore and Malaysia agreed in 1989 to refer the sovereignty issue to the International Court of Justice (ICJ). However, it was not until July 2003 that a Special Agreement was signed by both countries to officially refer the case to ICJ. The oral pleadings were held at The Hague in the Netherlands in November 2007.

On 23 May 2008, the ICJ passed its verdict on the long-running dispute over the sovereign status of Pedra Branca and two neighbouring maritime outcrops, Middle Rocks and South Ledge.

The court awarded Pedra Branca/Pulau Batu Puteh to Singapore, and Middle Rocks to Malaysia. South Ledge, which is only visible at low tide, belongs to the state in the territorial waters of which it is located."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Singapore to get 2 pandas

The Straits Times
    Nov 12, 2009

Furry 'envoys' - a symbol of close friendship - to arrive in 2011

By Peh Shing Huei

SINGAPORE is getting a pair of black and white furry envoys from China to mark the milestone of 20 years of diplomatic relations.

Visiting Chinese President Hu Jintao announced on Wednesday at an Istana state banquet that a pair of giant pandas will be delivered to Singapore, as he expressed confidence that Singapore-Sino relations will reach 'a new high'.

The endangered creatures, which China rarely sends overseas, will arrive here in 2011 and Chinese diplomacy experts believe it is a sign of deepening friendship between the two nations.

'It reflects the importance of Singapore in China's foreign policy. Beijing does not send out pandas lightly,' said international relations analyst Shi Yinhong of Renmin University.

Singapore joins an exclusive club of overseas panda hosts, becoming only the seventh country since 1994 to receive the black and white creatures from China.

The pair of pandas, a one-year-old female and a two-year-old male, are from the Wolong panda reserve in China's south-western Sichuan province.

Visiting Chinese President Hu Jintao announced yesterday at an Istana state banquet that a pair of giant pandas will be delivered to Singapore, as he expressed confidence that Singapore-Sino relations will reach 'a new high'. --PHOTO: AP
    Last edited by Loh; 11-12-2009 at 02:11 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Red carpet for 2 VIPs (Very Important Pandas)

The Straits Times
    Nov 12, 2009

By Lim Wei Chean

IF YOU are impressed with preparations for visiting dignitaries this week, then you will be floored by the red carpet being rolled out for two very special VIPs - Very Important Pandas.

The pandas do not hit town until late 2011. But much work has to be done ahead of their arrival in Singapore, as part of a 10-year collaboration with the China Wildlife Conservation Association.

Their staple diet - bamboo - has to be planted, the posh climate-controlled enclosure built and the keepers trained. A team of experts from China will come over to provide guidance.

The aim is help conserve the endangered species, raise awareness, and to start a breeding and research programme.

A key step will be taken today when Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and Chinese President Hu Jintao witness the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding for the project.

Ms Fanny Lai, chief executive of Wildlife Reserves Singapore, said the pandas will be the star attractions in the new US$140 million (S$194 million) River Safari facility that will open in 2012. 'We are very excited about this,' she said. 'It is the dream of every zoo in the world to be able to work with the giant pandas.'

The aim is help conserve the endangered species, raise awareness, and to start a breeding and research programme. --PHOTO: AFP
    Last edited by Loh; 11-12-2009 at 02:21 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2011 right?

I love pandas .. because

Name:  tumblr_krs4tcFb391qzflvuo1_500.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  18.2 KB

Have a good life in Singapore, sweethearts. Welcome to South East Asia.
    It's special to have them as a gift.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you and I'm glad to note that you have no ill-feelings against Singapore. We should keep it that way to promote harmonious relationships.
    I have stated on the onset that this thread is meant to talk about positive things, achievements, etc, that could lift us to do better.

What I'm trying to tell you is that there will always be different points of view, some favourable others unfavourable, but it doesn't mean that whatever was said must necessarily be true. The views expressed in your post are personal views which may not be representative of Singaporean society. If they are relevant, the appropriate authorities will be hard pressed to give an answer.

So by saying that "some people hate to face reality" you are trying to say we are wrong, which may not be true. Furthermore, there may be opposing views and exchanges regarding your post in other forums which may be the more relevant venues and not in my thread here.

The internet is a place where people can air their views on all sorts of topics and under all sorts of names. Most of the time you don't even know who are behind those names and what are their motives, unless they come from an official source, So don't expect me to comment on such views especially when they don't relate to our subject of discussion.
    Ok. I understand that.

But i think that matters that i highlighted in this thread still under ' Singapore Also Can' spirit, i.e.:

1) The Ba-Gua & Feng Shui of Singapore
    2) Foreign Talents and Imigrants Practice

Good Feng Shui brings prosperity, as well as quality's FT's.

Now tell me, am i in your subject of discussion?

By the way, no hard feeling Uncle. I am sorry if my words or my statements put some scars on this almost perfect in this 'Singapore-Good-Things' thread.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dato Asbullah View Post
    Ok. I understand that.

But i think that matters that i highlighted in this thread still under ' Singapore Also Can' spirit, i.e.:

1) The Ba-Gua & Feng Shui of Singapore
    2) Foreign Talents and Imigrants Practice

Good Feng Shui brings prosperity, as well as quality's FT's.

Now tell me, am i in your subject of discussion?

By the way, no hard feeling Uncle. I am sorry if my words or my statements put some scars on this almost perfect in this 'Singapore-Good-Things' thread.
    Okay, no hard feelings. It is better that we understand each other and not cause further misunderstandings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pedra Branca

Uncle Loh,

How la can our Scorpene submarine set out to sea when you guys are holding on to Pedra Branca!? What if you guys put up a toll around PB! Our Scorpene sub then gotta pay toll etc. Very troublesome la, unless you have touch n go or a smart tag.

The Middle Rocks is a joke on Malaysia. Only visible when the tide is low.

In all, losing PB is like losing your front garden to your next door neighbour.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uncle Loh,

How la can our Scorpene submarine set out to sea when you guys are holding on to Pedra Branca!? What if you guys put up a toll around PB! Our Scorpene sub then gotta pay toll etc. Very troublesome la, unless you have touch n go or a smart tag.

You could build a special radar system that makes your sub invisible and escape from paying all taxes.

Ayai, we jaga PB for you guys for so long, never received any pay and you still complain?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uncle Loh,

Taiko, submarine is a joke lah. Same goes to the Pulau.