User Tag List

Page 305 of 502 FirstFirst ... 205 255 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 355 405 ... LastLast
Results 5,169 to 5,185 of 8518
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default A report card that's more than just grades

by Tan Weizhen
    04:46 AM Sep 29, 2011

SINGAPORE - Parents will soon be privy to a lot more information about their children, beyond grades and generic comments by teachers on their school report cards.

In the report cards of the future, teachers will also provide parents with a detailed assessment of the non-academic aspects of the student's development - the child's personal qualities, or how he reacts in situations, for instance.

Already piloted at 16 primary schools with Primary 1 and 2 students since last year, such holistic development profiles (HDP) will be rolled out in all primary schools in phases, according to the Ministry of Education (MOE).

Education Minister Heng Swee Keat highlighted the HDP at the ministry's work plan seminar last week, as he signalled a new focus on holistic development beyond academic results.

Under the pilot, each school is free to come up with different non-academic areas in which to teach and evaluate their pupils.

According to principals and teachers, most have a focus on "softer" areas like character and moral development, usually integrated into the curriculum or CCAs, or during "teachable moments", rather than setting extra time aside for it.

Keming Primary - one of the 16 schools - has six categories: Moral, emotional, social, aesthetic, physical and intellectual.

Principal Kelvin Tay said a student is assessed through a portfolio of work, a personal journal, as well as a report book containing the observations of teachers.

"The school will create opportunities for the pupils to live out these values. It is also about exposing children to an array of experiences at a young age, letting them find out where their strengths lie in," he said. For example, students have to adopt and upkeep a nearby park.

Meanwhile, at Pasir Ris Primary, the focus is on personal qualities, such as integrity and being resilient.

Head of department for character and citizen education Adila Ong said that building up qualities like self-discipline will help pupils excel in their academic work.

Parents Today spoke to approved of the move, saying it allows them to understand their children better. Ms Regina Wee, 38, parent of a Primary 2 student at Keming Primary, said the school has taught "survival skills", such as learning how to handle a budget on school trips. "At such a young age, I feel it is important to develop character as a good foundation, over academic," she said.

Photo by OOI BOON KEONG

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default US Open women's champion Stosur coming our way

by Low Lin Fhoong
    04:46 AM Sep 29, 2011

SINGAPORE - Tennis fans can look forward to US Open women's champion Samantha Stosur of Australia spearheading a six-strong cast of world-ranked players for a three-day tournament at the Singapore Indoor Stadium in December.

Called the Singapore Women's Tennis Exhibition, the Dec 16-18 event will also feature Agnieszka Radwanska of Poland (No 13), China's Peng Shuai (No 15) and Russian Svetlana Kuznetsova (19). The other two players will be confirmed soon.

But the biggest draw on the card is world No 7 Stosur, who defeated American Serena Williams earlier this month to claim her first Grand Slam title.

"I am looking forward to playing in Singapore and I am sure it's going to be an exciting event for all tennis fans in this part of Asia," said 27-year-old Australian.

The top two seeded women will earn automatic spots in the semi-finals, with the rest competing in two qualifying rounds.

Organised by the Michezo Group, the tournament will also feature other activities such as a clinics for junior players, community events and a charity gala dinner with the tennis stars.

Said Hicham Moudden, the chairman of Michezo Group: "The vibrant sports scene here is missing world class tennis action and we are glad that we can help fill this gap. We were looking at bringing the best tennis players to Singapore - ranking is important but we are also look at binding the local, expatriate and regional community together so there is a mix of nationalities coming." Plans are also underway to organise a Women's Tennis Association (WTA) tournament in November next year or January 2013 here.

A tennis academy for youngsters is also in Michezo's three-year development plan, with the company currently on the hunt for a location to build a six-court facility. Former world ranked players and coaches from Europe will be recruited to train the under-18 players.

Early bird tickets
    to the Singapore Women's Tennis Exhibition are priced at between S$25 and S$85 (daily) and S$90 to S$180 (season pass), and are available at www.sistic.com.sg. Visit www.swte2011.com for more information on the event. LOW LIN FHOONG
    Last edited by Loh; 09-28-2011 at 09:44 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Foreign Minister Shanmugam addresses UN

By Natalie Carney | Posted: 28 September 2011 1950 hrs

Minister for Foreign Affairs and Law K Shanmugam speaks at the UN General Assembly in New York

UNITED NATIONS: The United Nations General Assembly has wrapped up in New York.

The last day saw Asian nations taking centre stage, with Singapore's Minister for Foreign Affairs and Law K Shanmugam starting proceedings.

While much of this year's conference has been dominated by the events in the Middle East, Mr Shanmugam took the last day of the General Assembly to direct the conversation towards increasing member commitment to rectifying other global concerns such as the economy and sustainable access to food and water.

"By next month, we will have
    seven billion people to feed, cloth and find meaningful employment for," Mr Shanmugam said.

"That is a stark reminder of the magnitude of our task. Too many countries are focused more on domestic political concerns than on implementing their multi-lateral commitments and taking concretive action at a global level."

Malaysia's Minister of Foreign affairs Anifah Aman
    called for change throughout the United Nations after announcing his country's support for the Palestinians' application for membership.

"We would like to see a comprehensive reform of the UN so that it will be able to face current realities and address present challenges," Datuk Seri Anifah said.

"Most particularly, the Security Council should also be reformed in a comprehensive manner. For the council to mediate better, it must be affective, transparent and accountable to the larger membership of the UN.

"It must no longer be beholden to the veto holders."

This was the first General Assembly for Myanmar under a constitutional government.

After a military crackdown last year led to the imprisonment of over 2,000 people, Foreign Minister Wanna Maung Lwin promised prisoner amnesty in the near future and called for nations to lift their economic sanctions.

"The new government pledges that all citizens shall enjoy equal rights in terms of law and is determined to re-enforce the judicial power," Mr Wanna said.

"The government also assures the nation to and revoke existing laws and adopt new laws as deemed necessary to implement the provisions of the fundamental rights of the citizens."

Myanmar's human rights behaviour will again be in the spotlight this November as all eyes turn to the ASEAN summit in Bali, Indonesia where Myanmar's bid to assume the chair will be considered.

-CNA/wk
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ho Chi Minh statue unveiled

By Saifulbahri Ismail | Posted: 28 September 2011 1850 hrs

Statue of Ho Chi Minh, the founding father of modern Vietnam

SINGAPORE: Singapore and Vietnam have reaffirmed their cultural and bilateral relations, with the unveiling of a statue of Ho Chi Minh, the founding father of modern Vietnam.

The statue, which was unveiled by Singapore's Minister for Information, Communications and the Arts Yaacob Ibrahim and visiting Vietnamese President Truong Tan Sang, will be displayed at the Asian Civilisations Museum Green.

It has a storyboard on Ho Chi Minh's significant contributions to Vietnam's independence and his visits to Singapore.

It also has a Vietnamese translation marker text, to cater to Vietnamese tourists and the growing community of Vietnamese in Singapore.

President Sang, who wrapped up his three-day state visit on Wednesday, also met Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong at the Istana.

During the meeting, both leaders affirmed the strong ties between their countries.

They discussed ways to further strengthen cooperation in areas such as trade, education, tourism, as well as in ASEAN, APEC and other international fora.

Prime Minister Lee and President Sang also witnessed the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding on the feasibility study of a new Vietnam-Singapore Industrial Park in Vietnam.

Earlier in the day, Mr Sang visited the Botanic Gardens. An orchid -- Cahuzacara Hanh Sang -- was named after him.

-CNA/wk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 5 awarded MOM's first National Human Resources Scholarship

Posted: 28 September 2011 1314 hrs

SINGAPORE: The Ministry of Manpower gave out the first batch of its National Human Resources Scholarship to five undergraduates.

The five will be groomed as part of efforts to nurture a pool of future leaders who are competent in handling human capital challenges.

They are Sam Neo Wei Quan, Joyce Lim Wen Qin, Jacob Tan Jian Zuo, Rachael Chiu Mei Chuen and Tan Sok Kai.

Each will join one of five organisations which are partnering and leveraging on the scholarship programme when they graduate.

They are Aon Hewitt, CapitaLand Limited, Keppel Corporation, SingTel and Sakae Holdings.

The scholarships were presented by Minister of State for Manpower and National Development Brigadier-General (NS) Tan Chuan-Jin on the sidelines of the Singapore Human Capital Summit on Wednesday.

BG (NS) Tan said the greater learning opportunities and incentives will help young talented individuals better appreciate the strategic business role that human resource (HR) plays and consider the profession as an attractive and viable long-term career.

Earlier at the summit, Emeritus Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong said that Singapore can play a role in helping companies develop and execute effective human capital strategies for Asia.

He said the country will invest resources to become a hub for a rich human capital ecosystem.

Such an ecosystem, Mr Goh said, brings together the government, academics and businesses to adapt best practices to suit opportunities in Asia.

Singapore is also a destination where businesses can develop their own in-house human capital capabilities.

One of them is Yokogawa Electric International, a leading global industrial automation company, which set up its global leadership training headquarters in Singapore in June this year.

It aims to train at least 100 top leaders over the next three years.

Another major Japanese corporation, Sumitomo Chemical, will be launching its corporate institute in Singapore.

It'll train regional managers for the Southeast Asia-Pacific region in a broad set of areas, with a focus on corporate HR.

Mr Goh noted that major HR consultancies and associations are also locating in Singapore.

Among them is the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD), which launched its Asia-Pacific office in Singapore.

CIPD is Europe's largest HR professional body with over 135,000 members worldwide.

It'll conduct research, provide senior leadership programmes and help businesses in the region deliver uniquely Asian HR strategies.

- CNA/ck

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Here's to an inspiring Singapore Sports Hub

Francis Chan hopes the Sports Hub will fuel sports dreams, like what the Kallang Stadium did for him

Published on September 28th, 2011

By Francis Chan
    Assistant News Editor
    franchan@sph.com.sg

I can still remember the feeling of nausea as I looked up the steps on the terraces of the old National Stadium in Kallang.

The voice of my coach bellowing from the top of the stadium still rings quite clearly in my mind.

“Hurry up, you still have 17 more to go, young man. The skies are turning dark,” he would shout in Mandarin, even though it was early in the morning.

This was off-season training, back in the days when I was an aspiring young sprinter trying to make the national 4 x 100m relay team for the 1993 South-east Asia (SEA) Games, which Singapore was hosting.

The workout: Sprint up the stadium steps, jog back down. Do 20 times.

I hated it but my mainland Chinese coach, Mr Qi Zutan, seemed to love it. A lot.

What made it bearable was the view from the top of the terraces just above the old Gate 1 entrance.
    The stadium, though empty at the time, was a canvas on which I painted what I hoped would be my glorious future as a track star.

I would visualise myself crossing the finish line in record time - in front of a packed stadium no less.
    It was the same dream that carried my tired legs up those steps again and again, week in and week out.

I never made the SEA Games squad.

Fate, I guess, had other plans for me but I will never forget the days I stood atop those steps.

When I worked at Raffles Place, I used to drive by the stadium on my way to the office - and I would glance at the Old Lady of Kallang, and reminiscing about the days I spent in her belly, racing down the track, and running up and down those dreadful steps.

If I was stuck in a traffic jam, I would peer directly at a particular spot - just left of the old west entrance where I used to stand after I conquered those steps.

Those were the good old days, I would think to myself.

I've not been by Kallang as often since I joined The Straits Times but I was in the area last Sunday for the Singapore Grand Prix held at the nearby Marina Bay.

Seeing an unsightly construction site where the glorious old stadium used to stand brought on a sense of sadness.

I also could not find my spot up over Gate 1 anymore.

Oddly, news broke on Monday about how Singaporeans will get to see the steel structure that would eventually form the dome roof of the new National Stadium.

Funding issues as a result of the global downturn in 2008 had led to several delays to the project.

The 55,000-seat arena – poised to be the crown jewel of the upcoming Sports Hub in Kallang - should be completed by 2014 and in time for the 2015 SEA Games, which Singapore is bidding to host.

The old venue has hosted no less than three SEA Games, 18 National Day Parades, countless football matches, concerts and other major events

What we know now is that the new $1.3 billion Sports Hub will also comprise a multi-purpose indoor arena, a water sports centre and an indoor aquatic centre.

The main stadium, which will stand some 80m above ground, and the other facilities at the Sports Hub, will undoubtedly play host to many high-profile events as Singapore pushes toward becoming a world class sporting and entertainment venue.

Personally, I can't wait for the entire development to be up and running as well as for Singapore to be hosting the SEA Games once again.

But what the Sports Hub must also be is a place where young Singaporeans can look to for inspiration and perhaps make it their stage to showcase their talents.
    Last edited by Loh; 09-28-2011 at 10:38 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My Waterway@Punggol to open from Oct 23

Posted: 29 September 2011 1850 hrs

SINGAPORE: Singapore's longest man-made waterway will be open to visitors from October 23.

The 4.2 kilometre-long My Waterway@Punggol features five bridges, bringing visitors closer to the water.

Punggol waterway was created out of barren land, and connects Punggol Reservoir to Serangoon Reservoir.

But the area has been given a facelift, making it a scenic spot for a slew of leisure activities.

Visitors can relive old memories of Punggol along the way, by stopping at this rest stop, which was an old bus stop in the area.

As the waterway is man-made, the challenge for the Housing & Development Board was how to keep the waterway clean and teeming with life.

This is done through a series of eco features - such as an eco-drain that cleanses surface run-off water before it is discharged into the waterway.

Aerators have also been installed to enhance the water quality.

- CNA/al

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default SUTD introduces new entry criterion

by Sharon See
    04:46 AM Sep 30, 2011

SINGAPORE - Singapore's fourth university, the Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD), will be making provisional offers from next month to GCE A Level students based on their preliminary examination results - the first time a university here is doing so.

The provisional offers would then be converted into firm offers based on their actual A Level results, which are likely to be released in early March.

The university said this initiative is to match its academic calendar, which begins in April.

SUTD president Thomas Magnanti said: "Because A Level exams are highly correlated to preliminary exams, we think the preliminary exams, plus a holistic approach to admissions of interviews, essays, student recommendations, we can make very good decisions now.

"We don't have to wait until March to make those decisions."

Those who do not apply for admission using their preliminary examination results can still do so once they get their A Level results.

The university hopes to take in about 500 students, and has admitted 200. The first batch of students will begin classes in April next year.

The university is also setting up a research centre - called the Lee Kuan Yew Centre for Innovative Cities - to focus on solutions for urban development by using technology and design.

The university said it named the centre after Singapore's founding father to honour his vision in building Singapore into a world-class city.

SUTD is holding its first open house at its Dover campus tomorrow and Sunday.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Exams for foreign-qualified lawyers to start next year

SINGAPORE - The Singapore Institute of Legal Education - a statutory board set up to develop, coordinate and oversee initiatives on legal training - intends to conduct the first session of the Foreign Practitioner Examinations (FPE) in the first half of next year.

Foreign-qualified lawyers who pass the examinations can apply for a Foreign Practitioner Certificate from the Attorney-General to practise in permitted areas of Singapore law.

The institute will make available the examination format, syllabuses and reading lists for the FPE in November, when prospective candidates can apply to the institute to sit for the FPE.

Professor Walter Woon, the institute's dean, said the examinations will be "pitched at the standard of a junior partner in a reputable law firm, as one of the objectives of the Foreign Practitioner Certificate regime is to attract high-calibre foreign lawyers to contribute their legal expertise to the Singapore economy".

Candidates must have at least three years of relevant legal practice or work experience, which may be gained in Singapore or elsewhere, in order to be eligible to sit for the examinations.

They must also be practising in Singapore as a foreign lawyer in a Joint Law Venture, Qualifying Foreign Law Practice, licensed foreign law practice or Singapore law practice, or have received a job offer to practise in Singapore in one of these law practices.

Those who have a job offer contingent on passing the FPE can also apply

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sports School's Prime choice

by Tan Yo-Hinn

SINGAPORE - Barry Prime (picture) has been appointed head coach of the Singapore Sports School's swimming academy.

Today has learnt that the 57-year-old Briton, who until last month was coach of last year's Asian Games women's 50m butterfly champion Tao Li, will succeed Clive Rushton, who left in July to join the Hong Kong Island Stingrays Club.

His appointment will take effect from tomorrow, where he will helm the Sports School's swimming academy which has about 50 student-athletes, and his immediate priority is to meet the academy's coaching staff to discuss the future direction.

"As with every new head coach coming in, I will sit down with my team to review what has been done and how we can improve and move forward in accordance to the values of the Sports School," Prime told Today last night.

"Above all, I want more communication between athletes and coaches, and for everyone to work for each other. Character is the No 1 ingredient above talent."

Prime joined the Sports School as a senior coach in June last year, after stints at the Singapore Swimming Club, the Australian Institute of Sport and the British national swim team.

Earlier this month, it was announced that the Singapore Swimming Club's current director of swimming, Ian Turner, would succeed Prime as Tao Li's coach leading up to the 2012 London Olympics. Tan Yo-Hinn

Barry Prime (pictured), the former coach of national swimmer Tao Li, is the new head coach of the Singapore Sports School's swimming academy. Photo by Tan Yo-Hinn

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default More seats for Jalan Besar Stadium

by Tan Yo-Hinn

SINGAPORE - The din at Jalan Besar is set to get louder, with the Football Association of Singapore (FAS) calling for proposals to expand the 6,000-seater stadium.

Today understands that the capacity could be increased by between 2,000 and 4,000.

A briefing for vendors was conducted yesterday following the issue of a request-for-proposal.

"We hope to receive proposals that are innovative in expanding the seating capacity as well as in enhancing commercial returns which can be used for the development of football in Singapore. We look forward to welcoming more supporters to our matches," said FAS president Zainudin Nordin in a statement.

FAS hope to appoint a vendor by the end of next month, with expansion works expected to be completed by early-2012, possibly in time for the start of the Malaysian Super League - or M-League - season in January.

The stadium will be the home ground of the Singapore Lions side that will compete in the M-League next year, and with fans expected to return in throngs to re-live the heyday of the Malaysia Cup.

Earlier this month, Today first reported the possibility of the stadium being expanded, with the gallery section on Horne Road and carpark near the stadium's south entrance as possible expansion locations.

If the project proves popular with the fans, other stadiums which could also be expanded are believed to be Bishan Stadium and Choa Chu Kang Stadium.

The local sports community have been clamouring for a mid-sized football stadium with a seating capacity of about 15,000 ever since the former National Stadium was demolished last year to make way for the S$1.33 billion Sports Hub, which is due to be completed by April 2014.
    Last edited by Loh; 09-29-2011 at 09:45 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sun Yat Sen memorial hall to reopen

By Nurul Syuhaida & Evelyn Lam | Posted: 29 September 2011 2057 hrs

Artefacts displayed at the Sun Yat Sen Nanyang Memorial Hall

SINGAPORE: The century-old Sun Yat Sen Nanyang Memorial Hall will reopen on 8 October after being closed for over a year for repairs.

The Singapore Chinese Chamber of Commerce and Industry (SCCCI) and the National Heritage Board (NHB) spent some S$5.6 million on the revamp.

The reopening of the museum coincides with the 100th anniversary of the 1911 Chinese Revolution

For the first time, more than 180 artefacts will be showcased to highlight Singapore's contribution during the revolution.

The artefacts include a photograph of Sun Yat Sen at the museum in 1906.

Twenty of these artefacts have been loaned from the descendants of prominent locals such as Teochew businessman Teo Eng Hock.

Sun Yat Sen Nanyang Memorial Hall general manager Shaun Phua said: "In the course of research and securing loans from many of these descendants, my team and I went to San Francisco to visit the descendant daughter of Teo Eng Hock, who is 88 years old.

"We also went to Sydney (to visit) the other daughter of Teo Eng Hock who is 97 years old.

"With these visits, we have secured interviews, archival records, and important photographs of Teo Eng Hock. And now we've known his personality better."

-CNA/wk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Singapore ambassador on Top 100 power women list in US capital
    Published on Oct 1, 2011

Prof Chan is among 25 female ambassadors serving in Washington and the only foreign diplomat on the list. -- ST PHOTO: DESMOND WEE

WASHINGTON: Singapore's Ambassador to the United States, Professor Chan Heng Chee, has been named as one of the 100 most powerful women in Washington, alongside top American diplomat Hillary Clinton and new International Monetary Fund managing director Christine Lagarde.

The list was drawn up by the Washingtonian, a popular monthly magazine in the US capital.

The magazine did not rank the women in terms of their overall clout, but noted that 'so many women are in powerful positions in Washington today that selecting the top 100 is more challenging than ever'.

Prof Chan, 69, was described as 'one of the longest-serving ambassadors here, an award-winning author, and part of Washington's foreign policy intelligentsia'.
    Last edited by Loh; 10-01-2011 at 07:28 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Affordable screening programme for needy senior citizens

Published on Oct 1, 2011

The Health Promotion Board (HPB) has launched a community screening programme aimed at detecting key chronic ailments and cancers for the needy elderly. -- ST PHOTO: CHEW SENG KIM

By Fiona Low

The Health Promotion Board (HPB) has launched a community screening programme aimed at detecting key chronic ailments and cancers for the needy elderly.

Not only will the screenings be made more accessible to seniors, it will also be more affordable - $2 to test for diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and obesity, compared to $30 at private clinics.

The programme was kicked off at the Whampoa neighbourhood on Saturday, where 150 residents registered to be screened.

Besides the chronic conditions, they can also be tested for three cancers - breast, cervical and colorectal. Screenings for breast and cervical cancer cost $30 and $10 respectively, while the test for colorectal cancer is free.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 10-volume collection of Lee Kuan Yew's papers launched

Published on Oct 1, 2011

(Left-Right) Minister for Information, Communications and the Arts, Yaacob Ibrahim, Mr Lee Kuan Yew, and Ronald G. Dunn at the launch of a collection of Lee Kuan Yew's speeches, interviews and dialogues from the past 40 years. -- ST PHOTO: MUGILAN RAJASEGERA

By Andrea Ong

A collection of former Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew's speeches, interviews and dialogues from 1950 to 1990 - some of which have not been published before - was launched on Friday.

Published by Cengage Learning, the 10-volume collection titled The Papers of Lee Kuan Yew: Speeches, Interviews and Dialogues was put together by the National Archives and Mr Lee's office.

The volumes are arranged chronologically, beginning with Mr Lee's first speech at the Malayan Forum in London in Jan 1950 and ending with three interviews conducted in Nov 1990 before he stepped down as Prime Minister.

In his speech on Friday, Mr Lee said the papers in the collection capture his positions on a wide range of topics, including colonialism, self-governance and social and economic policies. Stressing that the papers should be read in the context of the times, he said: 'Whether for reflection or scrutiny, these papers capture issues and decisions that were both popular and unpopular, but necessary for the time.'

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 10-volume collection of Lee Kuan Yew's papers launched

by Saifulbahri Ismail
    04:46 AM Oct 01, 2011

SINGAPORE - A collection of former Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew's speeches, interviews and dialogues over four decades - some of which are being released for the first time - was launched yesterday.

Published by Cengage Learning, the papers include Mr Lee's views and statements on Singapore's separation from the Federation of Malaysia, independence, Singapore's nation-building process and leadership succession.

Speaking at the launch of The Papers of Lee Kuan Yew yesterday, Mr Lee said whether for reflection or scrutiny, the papers capture issues and decisions that were both popular and unpopular, but necessary for the time.

The compilation of his speeches may allow Singaporeans to understand the history in nation building, and more importantly to learn the lessons from the past.

He stressed that Singaporeans have to understand the underlying values on which the nation was built.

The 10 volumes cover more than 5,000 pages of text and nearly 500 photographs, drawn from the collections of the National Archives of Singapore, as well as materials deposited over time from the office of the Press Secretary to Mr Lee, and the former Singapore Broadcasting Corporation.

It is also taken from agencies such as the Prime Minister's Office and the Ministry of Information, Communications and the Arts.

Publishing the collection would give readers a better understanding of Mr Lee's role in the founding and development of modern Singapore, said Cengage Learning.

In his foreword, former United States Secretary of State Henry Kissinger wrote: "The volumes are an indispensable source for the thinking of one of the seminal thinkers of our period."

The collection is available in a case-bound edition at US$2,800 (S$3,647), and a leather-bound limited edition at US$3,600.

The next series of Mr Lee's works will cover his term as Senior Minister to the present, and is planned for release in the last quarter of next year.

Former Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew being presented with The Papers of Lee Kuan Yew: Speeches, Interviews and Dialogues (1950-1990) by president and CEO of Cengage Learning Ronald Dunn (left) yesterday. With them are Minister for Information, Communications and the Arts Yaacob Ibrahim (third from left) and chairman of the National Heritage Board Ong Yew Huat. Photo by OOI BOON KEONG
    Last edited by Loh; 10-01-2011 at 10:57 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Circle Line open house draws crowds from all over Singapore

Published on Oct 2, 2011

Transport Minister Lui Tuck Yew, who was guest-of-honour at the open house, said he expects commuters to change the way they travel now that the Circle Line will soon be running at full throttle. -- ST PHOTO: LAU FOOK KONG

By Cheryl Ong

Visitors to the Circle Line open house on Sunday got a chance to try travelling for free to the 12 newest train stations.

The 12 stations - including Holland Village, Botanic Gardens and Kent Ridge - mark the completion of an eight-year-long construction of the Circle Line, which also connect the North-South, East-West and North-East lines.

However, Sunday's event, titled Circle Line Discovery, is just a preview. The line - so named because of its circular route - will only be officially opened for service on Oct 8.

Transport Minister Lui Tuck Yew, who was guest-of-honour at the open house, said he expects commuters to change the way they travel now that the Circle Line will soon be running at full throttle.

'People will use the circle line more to connect to other lines. It will shorten their journey times, I believe, for some of them, and it will, also for a number of people, result in a fare reduction as they will have to travel a shorter distance,' he said.

The open house drew visitors from as far away as Pasir Ris, such as Madam Maria Koh. The 58-year-old took nearly two hours by train and bus to get to Caldecott station, and plans to visit the Botanic Gardens and Labrador Park for the rest of the day.

'I'm very excited. There are a lot of places I'm keen to visit along the line, and the line will make travelling easier,' she said in Mandarin.