User Tag List

Page 31 of 506 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 81 131 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 4th uni partners Zhejiang

The Straits Times
    Nov 13, 2009

By Peh Shing Huei, China Bureau Chief & Lin Zhaowei

ZHEJIANG University, famed for its engineering prowess and research strength, will be the Chinese partner of Singapore's fourth university.

The collaboration with Zheda, as the university is popularly known in China, completes the three-way partnership of the Singapore University of Technology and Design (SU), linking it with premier institutions in both the East and the West.

SU, which had earlier announced its partnership with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in the United States, inked the agreement with Zheda on Thursday.

It was one of four deals signed at the St Regis hotel between Singapore and China, all witnessed by Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and visiting Chinese President Hu Jintao.

The leaders, who had a meeting before the signings, also saw the signing of deals on the setting up of a China Cultural Centre, a civil servants exchange programme and the sending of two pandas to Singapore in 2011.

Mr Hu, who is here on a three-day state visit, urged Singapore and China to expand on their cultural exchanges during his meeting with Mr Lee, building on the momentous panda transfer and the universities' tie-up.

Singapore's fourth university will collaborate with Zhejiang to set up institutions in both the East and the West of the island. -- PHOTO: ZHEJIANG UNIVERSITY
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Singapore, China to deepen ties

The Straits Times
    Nov 12, 2009

By Peh Shing Huei

SINGAPORE Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong met visiting Chinese President Hu Jintao on Thursday morning at the St Regis Hotel here.

The two leaders reaffirmed the excellent state of bilateral relations between Singapore and China, and agreed to deepen cooperation on all fronts, including environmental protection, water management and human resource development.

Both leaders also discussed regional developments and the common challenges faced in an increasingly globalised world, said the Singapore Foreign Ministry in a statement.

The leaders witnessed the signing of four agreements, including the sending of two pandas to Singapore in 2011 and the partnership of Zhejiang University with the Singapore University of Technology and Design.

Mr Hu, who is here on a state visit, also met Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong and will be hosted to a gala dinner by the Singapore Chinese Chamber of Commerce and Industry on Thursday evening.

The two leaders reaffirmed the excellent state of bilateral relations between Singapore and China, and agreed to deepen cooperation on all fronts. -- ST PHOTO: TERENCE TAN

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default President Yudhoyono in S'pore

The Straits Times
    Nov 12, 2009

By Lynn Lee

INDONESIAN President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono arrived in Singapore on Thursday from Kuala Lumpur for a state visit ahead of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (Apec) Leaders meeting this weekend.

Dr Yudhoyono, his wife Kristiani and members of the Indonesian delegation including Foreign Minister Marty Natalegawa and Cabinet Secretary Sudi Silalahi arrived at the Istana at 5.20pm. They were greeted by Singapore President SR Nathan and Mrs Nathan.

After a chat with Mr Nathan, Dr Yudhoyono met Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew. He will discuss bilateral ties with Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong before being hosted to dinner by Mr Lee and his wife Ho Ching at 8pm.

This is Dr Yudhoyono's first official trip to Singapore since he won a second term as Indonesia's President in the July general election. He met PM Lee in Jakarta last month at his presidential inauguration ceremony.

Dr Yudhoyono arrived in Singapore on Thursday from Kuala Lumpur for a state visit ahead of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (Apec) Leaders meeting this weekend. -- PHOTO: AFP

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loh, I hope you will take what I have to say in good spirits. May I suggest you use less copies of newspaper clips. After all we are want to know what each of us think as individuals instead of being shown newspaper clippings day in and day out. Let us make this thread more interesting by being more open and less protective or restrictive. Let us be a bit more free.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default APEC MEETINGS : Avoid protectionism

The Straits Times
    Nov 13, 2009

COUNTRIES must avoid taking protectionist measures that hurt one another as they are ultimately self-defeating, said Prime Minister Lee Hsieng Loong, who called for closer integration in the Asia-Pacific region which is set to drive global growth.

Stressing the importance of keeping trade free, Mr Lee said the role of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (Apec) role will become more important post-crisis as much work remains even as the 21-member grouping has been dismantling tariffs and other trade barriers.

In his keynote address to the Apec CEO Summit at Suntec convention centre on Thursday morning, Mr Lee said sustaining growth, building long-term capabilities and skills of workforce and connecting the region are vital in tackling challenges collectively.

He also called on Apec economies to take steps towards forming an Asia-Pacific free trade area, and pave the way by pushing ahead with the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), which is a free trade agreement grouping Singapore, Brunei, Chile and New Zealand.

Calling the TPP a 'high quality agreement that maximises benefits for businesses' and can be the nucleus for an enlarging partnership, Mr Lee said: 'It's good to start with a high-standard template, and then work to bring in other economies in stages.'

The United States, Australia, Peru and Vietnam have expressed interest to join the TPP, said Mr Lee.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    Loh, I hope you will take what I have to say in good spirits. May I suggest you use less copies of newspaper clips. After all we are want to know what each of us think as individuals instead of being shown newspaper clippings day in and day out. Let us make this thread more interesting by being more open and less protective or restrictive. Let us be a bit more free.
    Well you have your way of doing things I have mine. I don't have to follow you, neither can you say that your ways are more superior. I think there is something to be gained from what was being reported and the thinking behind the individuals, especially the leaders, who may be the centre of attraction.

If you having something to add to what is reported in the clippings, by all means do so. We can then hear your views and what you think. Those subjects cover a wide area on Singapore society, events, etc, usually on an updated basis, more than what you as an individual can hope to achieve. Nobody is stopping you from reading them if you find them uninteresting or adding your comments but please don't try to stir up unnecessary and controversial feelings with your remarks.

The reporting is as open, not protective or restrictive as you put it and it is all laid out for all to read. They came from different journalists with different backgrounds. IMO it is you who are trying to be irresponsible with your comments under the guise of "freedom" of speech. I would have thought that as a senior member you should show the way on how responsible behaviour should be.

As a Malaysian residing in Hongkong for so many years, you should know the difficult relationship between Malaysia and Singapore and the historical baggage that still persists till today. Therefore it is of no benefit to us to have you adding more fuel to this sensitive issue. Or have you been away for so long that you do not care anymore?
    Last edited by Loh; 11-13-2009 at 01:12 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loh, no need to lose your cool. Sometimes all of us need to learn to take in the hard knocks as well as enjoy the accolades. But accolades are better if they come from third parties. That is the sincerest from of flattery.
    I am not saying the newspaper clippings are restrictive or protective. It is the great wall built around this very thread that is restrictive-shooting at everyone who strongly disagrees and throwing spears at opinions not to your liking. Also, it would be great if all members stay objective in this enthralling discussion. Members should be encouraged to contribute to this thread with their own opinions. Instead, I sense many stay away or fear to thread.
    One thing I find a bit strange is the almost complete absence of opinions from other Singaporeans. On second thoughts, it is not that surprising.
    Now, if only this thread "Singapore Also Can" could attract the type of diversity of opinions that the other thread "Malaysia Boleh", then Loh I will give my salute to your thraed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    Loh, no need to lose your cool. Sometimes all of us need to learn to take in the hard knocks as well as enjoy the accolades. But accolades are better if they come from third parties. That is the sincerest from of flattery.
    I am not saying the newspaper clippings are restrictive or protective. It is the great wall built around this very thread that is restrictive-shooting at everyone who strongly disagrees and throwing spears at opinions not to your liking. Also, it would be great if all members stay objective in this enthralling discussion. Members should be encouraged to contribute to this thread with their own opinions. Instead, I sense many stay away or fear to thread.
    One thing I find a bit strange is the almost complete absence of opinions from other Singaporeans. On second thoughts, it is not that surprising.
    Now, if only this thread "Singapore Also Can" could attract the type of diversity of opinions that the other thread "Malaysia Boleh", then Loh I will give my salute to your thraed.
    That is your opinion.

Threads could certainly be different in content and purpose. It is up to the reader to decided whether he or she wants to contribute or be just contented to keep in touch with what's happening. They don't have to participate just like you need not do so for most threads but for those that you have an interest in and can say something about.

My thread is certainly not clamouring for the popularity vote, but there are those still interested in reading and catching up with the latest news on Singapore. I hope our Singaporean BC friends now residing overseas may find this thread useful and relate more to what's happening here.

For me, it reminds me that Singapore is still much alive, active, vibrant, ready to do better, despite the odds. I'm happy that so many positive events have happened during the past year and our government is doing whatever that is necessary to prepare our citizens to catch the next opportunity when it occurs. In the process, we make new friends from all over the world that may be able to help us in a variety of ways.

To the end, I think this thread is serving its purpose.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default President Obama arrives in S'pore

The Straits Times
    Nov 14, 2009

SINGAPORE - US PRESIDENT Barack Obama landed in Singapore late on Saturday to join a summit of Asia-Pacific leaders, an AFP photographer said.

Air Force One with Mr Obama on board arrived at Singapore's Paya Lebar military airbase after the president visited Japan, part of a nine-day Asian tour that will also take him to China and South Korea.

Mr Obama was expected to catch the end of a dinner with the 20 other leaders of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (Apec) forum, before taking part in the summit proper on Sunday. -- AFP

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Singapore gets first glimpse of China-loaned giant pandas

Channel NewsAsia
    13 Nov 2009

By Hoe Yeen Nie,

SINGAPORE: China Wildlife Conservation Association has released the photographs of the two giant pandas which will make their way to Singapore in 2011 under a research loan from the Chinese government.

The 10-year loan of the pandas is also to mark 20 years of China-Singapore relations.

The male panda is just two years old and his female companion is only one.

They were specially chosen for their ability to breed, and they will be housed in an air-conditioned enclosure at the new River Safari exhibit at the Singapore Zoo.

The new attraction by Wildlife Reserves Singapore will open in 2011.

The pandas' diet consists mainly of bamboo. They consume some 20 kilogrammes of bamboo a day.

Wildlife Reserves Singapore officials will be growing six different bamboo species for the pandas' consumption.

The Straits Times
    Nov 14, 2009

Pandas bound for S'pore

By Lim Wei Chean

HERE they are, the black-and-white beauties headed for Singapore.

As yet unnamed, they are the pandas that Chinese President Hu Jintao says will be sent to Singapore to mark the 20th anniversary of bilateral ties next year.

The one-year-old female and two-year-old male are currently in China's panda reserve in Sichuan province.

They have been separated from their mothers and twins and are living on their own, said an official of China's Wildlife Conservation Association, which supplied their photos.

The female panda is still on a milk diet and will be weaned at between two and 2 1/2 years of age.

'They are at an age where they are most active and adorable,' said the official.

(I just hope they don't try to apply Lady koo_fan's "vanishing cream" to clear the black spots, otherwise we will get undersized polar bears instead!)

1. Male giant panda to be loaned to Singapore (photo by China Wildlife Conservation Association)

2. The female panda is still on a milk diet and will be weaned at between two and 21/2 years of age. -- PHOTO: CHINA WILDLIFE CONSERVATION ASSOCIATION
    Last edited by Loh; 11-14-2009 at 07:58 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

aww....what a cute panda

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Student wins pass to Apec summit

The Straits Times
    Nov 13, 2009

By Lim Wei Chean

AN ESSAY on how Apec can learn from the way Boeing's Dreamliner aircraft is built won Singaporean Geoffrey See Kok Heng a chance to hobnob with world business leaders this week.

The Yale University student's work stood out in a crowded field from across the region, clinching him an all-expense-paid trip to the summit.

Students from more than 100 top business schools were invited to take part in the competition to mark the grouping's 20th anniversary. Their task was to write an essay addressing the question: 'What can Apec do for business?'

The top three were picked from entries submitted from 16 member economies.

Mr See, 24, and fellow winners - Indonesian Indra Surya Susantio, a student at Tokyo's Waseda University, and Jakarta's Prasetiya Mulya Business School student Sunviana Sunaryo - received victory certificates from Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong on Friday.

This is not Mr See's first brush with Apec either. He was part of an eight-strong group of Singaporeans who attended the South Korean summit as youth delegates.

Geoffrey See Kok Heng's work stood out in a crowded field from across the region, clinching him an all-expense-paid trip to the summit. -- ST PHOTO: BRYAN VAN DER BEEK

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by george@chongwei View Post
    aww....what a cute panda
    BTW George, this evening I was at Queenway Shopping Centre, a rather old building but a popular place where lots of "reasonably priced" sports goods are offered and was surprised to see Katong laksa being sold in one of the stalls.

I ordered a bowl just to remind me of the laksa taste. It was not as hot and spicy as I did not add any extra chilli paste.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Janggut Laksa?
    that picture of the bowl of laksa looks tasty though.
    You should add extra chilli paste mah, more hot and spicy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both are cutie pandas!

Hu jin Tao is pretty unfair eh? Instead of giving one to Malaysia, one to Singapore. he chose to give both to Singapore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by koo_fan View Post
    Both are cutie pandas!

Hu jin Tao is pretty unfair eh? Instead of giving one to Malaysia, one to Singapore. he chose to give both to Singapore.
    Hu knows Singapore is doing better than Malaysia in take care of Panda matters.

If Singapore do not have expert, then they will seeking help from Foreign-Talents. Whereas in Malaysia, jobs is carried out by own malaysian ppl, whether you got knowledge or not.

Hu certainly dont want to take risk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dato Asbullah View Post
    Hu knows Singapore is doing better than Malaysia in take care of Panda matters.

If Singapore do not have expert, then they will seeking help from Foreign-Talents. Whereas in Malaysia, jobs is carried out by own malaysian ppl, whether you got knowledge or not.

Hu certainly dont want to take risk.
    Dato, Malaysia also have local ppl who knows how to take care of that Panda. take me for example.