User Tag List

Page 312 of 487 FirstFirst ... 212 262 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 362 412 ... LastLast
Results 5,288 to 5,304 of 8263
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 'Green Man Plus' gives elderly more time to cross roads

05:53 PM Nov 02, 2011

SINGAPORE - The Green Man Plus scheme which gives senior citizens more time to cross roads will be extended to another 240 pedestrian crossings island-wide from next year.

Senior citizens get up to five seconds more to cross when they tap their CEPAS-compliant concession cards on the card reader above the push button on the traffic light poles at crossings.

The Land Transport Authority (LTA) said it is extending the scheme because of the successful pilot at five locations in 2009.

The 240 crossings will be at 146 locations in 13 housing estates.

They are Ang Mo Kio, Bedok, Bukit Merah, Chinatown, Geylang, Hougang, Kallang, Marine Parade, Outram, Queenstown, Rochor, Tampines, and Toa Payoh.

LTA is also planning to extend the scheme to pedestrians with physical and sensory disabilities to give them a longer time to cross the roads.

It is working with the National Council of Social Service and voluntary welfare organisations to come up with a card that can produce a sound and vibration alert for the user. CHANNEL NEWSASIA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Republic Poly offers 3-year diploma in mobile software development

by Ng Jing Yng
    04:46 AM Nov 04, 2011

SINGAPORE - With the likes of Angry Birds all the rage now, a polytechnic here is looking to tap into the fast-growing mobile application market by offering a new diploma from next year.

The Republic Polytechnic's (RP) three-year Diploma in Mobile Software Development will enable students to learn about the design and development of mobile applications used in smartphones like Apple's iPhone and Google's Android phones.

They will also be taught marketing strategies to sell the applications that they have developed. The course is open to 40 students.

RP, which hopes to increase its intake in the next academic year to 5,000 students from the current 4,000-plus, will also be launching two other new diplomas.

The Diploma in Consumer Behaviour and Research will equip students with knowledge on the Asian consumer market, while the Diploma in Sports Coaching will enable students to have a basic understanding of sports science and learn more about team management and coaching ethics.

For the new academic year, beginning in April, the polytechnic, which turns 10 next year, will be giving out 200 scholarships for the first time.

Each scholarship is worth S$2,500 per academic year, RP said yesterday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default PUB to install 55 more CCTV cameras in flood-prone areas

04:46 AM Nov 04, 2011

SINGAPORE - Following a successful trial - in which six CCTV cameras were fitted along Bukit Timah Road to monitor the area during heavy rain - the PUB will install another 55 CCTVs at other flood-prone areas here by early next month.

These CCTV cameras will help to monitor real-time conditions in the areas and allow faster response. The announcement comes ahead of an expectation of more rainy days ahead in the next few weeks.

The Meteorological Service Singapore said yesterday that higher than average rainfall is expected for this north-east monsoon season, which will fall between the middle of this month and end-January.

The north-east monsoon season is characterised by short-duration thundery showers mainly in the afternoon and evening, and about two to four episodes of monsoon surges.

The long-term average number of rainy days is 19 in November, 19 in December and 15 in January.

The PUB has distributed flood advisories to 371 residential units and shop-houses in the central, western and eastern regions. According to the board, these are low-lying areas, some of which are also subject to tidal influence.

Apart from informing the occupants of the possibility of flash floods, information on the precautions they could take to protect their belongings is also provided, it said.

The PUB is also working with building owners on the measures that they could implement to provide additional protection for their premises.

For instance, Liat Towers and Tong Building have installed flood gates.

The PUB will also expand its network of sensors to track water levels at drains and canals and has stepped up its drainage maintenance regime to minimise the risk of flash floods.

Apart from the regular weather forecast, the National Environment Agency will issue warnings when heavy rain is expected.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just back from Singapore few days ago.. Overall, the country is awesome i would say. One can just walk and tour around SG for a few days or maybe 1 week.. Went to MBS, Sentosa, Little india(err, the smell is ) and many more places.. Sg mrt and public transportation is very efficient i would say. Everything is very easy with just an EZ Link card.. I love SG public bus as well.. Got double decker and very long as well.. and some of their driver is female as well..that's what amazed me.. driving a LONG VEHICLE..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There will be nothing else for you to see in three weeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wilfredlgf View Post
    There will be nothing else for you to see in three weeks.
    Not bad for George to have enjoyed himself so much in such a short time.
    There are many other interesting places to visit as I have detailed in this thread not too long ago and now our MRT (subway, metro, etc they call it in other places) brings visitors nearer to such attractions.

Don't forget to spend time playing badminton in many of our public and private courts, enjoying the local and foreign cuisines, attending shows, including Broadway musicals, at our famous "Durians" and the MBS, our arts and science museums.

For nature lovers the botanic gardens, with its new branch coming to Marina Bay shortly, our Singapore zoo and Jurong Bird Park should prove interesting. So too are the parks, boardwalks along waterways such as in Changi, Punggol, etc or at higher levels along the hills at Kent Ridge, Mt Faber and Bukit Timah.

Even certain new HDB townships provide the many resort-like facilities for boating, sailing, canoeing, fishing, etc in the reservoirs and man-made waterways, like our Marina Bay Barrage.

You can spend many week-ends doing things you like do in many interesting places here. Our shops and eateries at Orchard Road and in our HDB heartlands can keep you occupied for long hours.

Singapore is getting so much more interesting with so many international events and conferences like the recently concluded incomparable F1 Night Race, FINA World Swimming Championships, etc, etc and many more to come.

Nothing to see after three weeks? Depends on what you want and the time available in your hands. I have been staying here since birth and have not been able to see everything!

Maybe that's why foreigners are buying properties in Singapore and making it their permanent second home at least.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Swimming: Tao Li wins bronze, Thorpe 7th in World Cup

By Patwant Singh | Posted: 04 November 2011 1901 hrs
    SINGAPORE: Local swimmer Tao Li won bronze with a time of 57.02 seconds in the women's 100 metres butterfly final at the Singapore leg of the FINA/Arena World Cup on Friday.

Sweden's Alshammar Therese timed 56.03 seconds to win gold while China's Jiao Liu Yang got silver with a time of 56.89 seconds.

Tao Li said: "I do have expectations for medals but it must be step by step to getting the medals....it is pretty tough.....but Olympics medals is much tough for me."

In the final of the men's 100 metres individual medley, five-time Olympic swimming champion Ian Thorpe finished seventh as he made his return to competition after five years out of the sport.

The 29-year-old Australian timed 56.33 seconds to finish second-last in an event he rarely swam before his retirement.

South African Chad Le Clos won the race with a time of 53.06 seconds.

Thorpe started well with the butterfly leg before losing ground on the backstroke and then struggling with the breaststroke.

"I was really happy with (my performance) for the first 50m.....and then the breaststroke happened, it wasn't so good," said Thorpe, referring to the medley's third leg. "But I am glad that I was able to swim a bit faster in the final tonight than I had in the heat."

Thorpe will take part in the 100m butterfly on Saturday as he kicks off his quest to qualify for the 2012 Olympic Games in London.

- CNA/ir
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Swimming: Tao Li wins silver at 50m Butterfly event

By Hetty Musfirah | Posted: 05 November 2011 1958 hrs

Singaporean swimmer Tao Li (back to camera) congratulates Therese Alshammar (L) of Sweden on her victory at the FINA/Arena World Cup. (AP Photo/Bryan van der Beek)

SINGAPORE: Singapore's Tao Li clocked 25.54secs to win silver in the 50m Women's Butterfly final at the S'pore leg of the FINA/Arena World Cup on Saturday.

The gold went to Sweden's Therese Alshammar who clocked 25.01secs, and the bronze to Australian swimmer Emma McKeon with a time of 26.15secs.

Earlier in the morning, Tao Li had finished first in the qualifying rounds.

The Singapore swimmer had obtained a bronze medal in Friday's 100-metre butterfly event, and she said she's happy with her performance.

She is also ready for the upcoming SEA Games.

"I won one bronze, one silver; that's my target. I met my target and my time has been improved. I think my main focus obviously is next week's SEA Games where I will swim in nine events... and I will win as many golds as I can," said Tao Li.

In other events, Singapore's Rainer Ng Kai Wee finished in 7th place at the men's 200m Backstroke final.

Meanwhile, it was a disappointing comeback for Australian swimmer Ian Thorpe after he failed to qualify for the 100-metre Butterfly finals.

The five-time Olympic gold medallist finished third in his heat with a time of 54.09secs, to rank 11th overall.

The Singapore event was Thorpe's first, after a five-year absence.

Thorpe said: "It was an okay race, I would have liked to have made the final in that one, you know, I didn't go hard when I should have and kind of fell into an awkward kind of technique in that race. With yesterday and this morning I'm pretty happy with how I've swum."

- CNA /ls

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default S$40m sports and recreation centre opens in Pasir Ris

By Wayne Chan | Posted: 06 November 2011 1128 hrs

SINGAPORE: Residents of Pasir Ris will have a new S$40 million sports and recreation centre in their neighbourhood, to complement existing sports facilities there.

Deputy Prime Minister and MP for Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC Teo Chee Hean, who officially opened the centre on Sunday, noted that residents had long wanted the centre in Pasir Ris.

He said they can now use it to enjoy a sporty and healthy lifestyle, as well as bond with family and friends.

The centre, which is the 21st of the Singapore Sports Council (SSC), has been open to the public since July 18 this year.

Its swimming complex has more than 20,000 visitors a month, while its ClubFITT Gymnasium has an average of 11,000 users a month.

The popularity of the centre, which also boasts an air-conditioned sports hall, a five-a-side soccer court as well retail space, can be credited to the careful planning of its location and facilities.

DPM Teo said: "We had some discussion whether we should have more futsal courts or more tennis courts, so we have a good balance now.

"And even the facing and design, you can see that it opens out to Pasir Ris Park so we can have activities that sort of spill over into the park. And if it drizzles, we can come into the 'big void deck'."

The centre also has green features such as a rainwater-harvesting system, solar panels and vertical "green" walls to reduce heat.

It's aiming to attain the Building and Construction Authority's Green Mark platinum award, Singapore's highest accolade for green buildings.

While watching Team Singapore in action, Mr Teo said he hopes they will at least try to achieve their personal best and be good ambassadors for Singapore in the upcoming SEA Games.

He said he also hopes Singapore's bid to host the SEA Games in 2015 would mean more of such facilities for its athletes.

Mr Teo said: "It will mean that all the sports facilities will get a little bit of an upgrading here and there to make sure things are up to standard. We will have the new Sports Hub open, I think that will be a wonderful location, and we hope that will also inspire young people, especially between now and 2015, to get into sports, competitive sports."

Mr Teo also believes such centres are the perfect venue for bonding between family and friends.

The newest centre also comes with Braille and tactile markings for the blind and a ramp for wheelchair users to have easier access to the swimming pools.

Richard Seow, chairman of the Singapore Sports Council, said accessibility is one thing the public want more of.

He said: "We have a lot of running tracks in Singapore, and the question is, do the elderly need to walk around running tracks or can we do other walking trails or paths for them."

The sports council is now collecting feedback for its 20-year Sports Facilities Master Plan: Vision 2030.

Other areas that the sports masterplan will look at is if more non-traditional sports can also be incorporated into Singapore's sporting landscape.

- CNA/fa/ls
    New sports complex in Pasir Ris officially opens

Published on Nov 6, 2011

By Feng Zengkun

Residents thronged the new Pasir Ris sports complex at its official opening on Sunday.

The complex, which includes tennis courts, a swimming pool, a jacuzzi, and a gym, has been open to the public since July this year. Guest-of-honour at the ceremony Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean said the facility had been 'long-awaited' by residents in the area.

Insurance actuary Choo Joo Beng, 45, at the complex with his family, said the new facility, located next to Pasir Ris bus interchange, made it easier for his family to exercise. Previously they had to go to the Tampines sports hall, which was farther away.

The Singapore Sports Council estimated that the sports complex has had more than 30,000 visitors each month since July this year.

The ClubFITT Gymnasium at the Pasir Ris Sports and Recreation Centre (SRC), Singapore Sports Council's (SSC) newest in its family of 21 SRCs, features a comprehensive range of sports facilities experience for users. -- ST PHOTO: CHEW SENG KIM

Last edited by Loh; 11-06-2011 at 09:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default HDB to test solar technology in 6 precincts

By Joanne Chan | Posted: 07 November 2011 1917 hrs

SINGAPORE: The Housing and Development Board (HDB) will be testing a more energy- and cost-efficient solar technology in six precincts islandwide next year.

Using Copper Indium Gallium Selenide (CIGS) thin-film technology, the project is expected to cost S$4 million.

The solar panels will be installed in 20 to 25 HDB blocks, and collectively generate 1 MWp (megawatt peak) of electricity, enough to provide for 200 four-room flats.

Without direct sunlight, many traditional solar panels are unable to generate electricity efficiently. CIGS technology, which is more sensitive to light, may be the solution to erratic sun patterns.

"This technology can make use of both direct as well as diffuse sunlight. So given our current weather conditions, which is cloudy at times, CIGS can potentially generate more electricity compared to conventional ones," said Ng Bingrong, senior executive engineer, HDB.

The cost of CIGS technology has dropped over the years and is now comparable to conventional solar panels using crystalline silicon - at about $5 per wattpeak. A wattpeak is a measure of power output used in relation to photovoltaic solar energy devices.

Solar energy may also mean indirect savings for residents.

By using solar energy, HDB blocks are less reliant on the national grid to power common-area facilities such as corridor lifts, lights and water pumps.

The HDB previously said such cost savings mean town councils would then have "no need to raise service and conservancy charges".

HDB residents pay the monthly charges to their town councils to maintain and upkeep common property.

Aside from funding the installation of solar panels from its own pocket, the HDB is also exploring other business models.

It recently launched a solar-leasing initiative, which allows a private company to install the solar panels and sell electricity to the town council.

But with solar energy costing more than the national grid due to high upfront costs of materials and installation, HDB has to help cover part of the initial bill to ensure the technology remains competitive.

Electricity generated from solar panels costs 30 to 35 cents per kilowatt-hour (kWh) - compared to prevailing tariffs of 27 cents.

The use of solar technology in housing estates is still in its early stages. To date, less than 2 per cent of the 9,000 blocks in Singapore have solar panels installed.

But with new technology coming up, promising higher efficiency and lower costs, HDB hopes to extend the power of the sun to more housing estates in the future.

HDB's push for solar energy is part of its mission for sustainable living.

- CNA /ls

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Healing Garden's toxic plants open to tours next year

TODAY

by Olivia Siong
    04:45 AM Nov 08, 2011

Singapore's first Healing Garden (picture), home to some 500 species of plants with healing properties, will open its toxic plants section for guided tours in the first quarter of next year.

Currently closed to the public, it contains about 200 of the Healing Garden's plants.

While the majority of plants are to some degree poisonous, the plants in this section are "particularly toxic" and can only be used for healing purposes in very small amounts, said Dr Nigel Taylor, director of the Singapore Botanic Gardens.

One such plant in the toxic section is the Indian Tree Spurge, whose sap can cause blindness, and death if ingested.

However, if "treated in the right way, made into a poultice it can help in the healing of bones", said Dr Taylor.

Other poisonous plants include the dumbcane and the oleander.

For now, visitors can enjoy viewing the other "not-so-toxic" healing plants at the Healing Garden, which was launched by President Tony Tan last month. The 2.5-hectare garden is open from 5am to 7.30pm daily. Olivia Siong

Photo by OOI BOON KEONG
    Last edited by Loh; 11-07-2011 at 08:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default National strategy on palliative care expected soon

by Ng Jing Yng

SINGAPORE - The Health Ministry (MOH) will be working with the Assisi Hospice - one of Singapore's oldest hospices - to boost its capacity and develop it into a centre for palliative care training, as it prepares to release a National Strategy for Palliative Care, Health Minister Gan Kim Yong said last night.

This as Singapore's changing lifestyle and healthcare needs bring about new challenges for end-of-life care.

"With longer life expectancy and the rise in chronic diseases, the medical care which people require at the end of life will change significantly," Mr Gan said at Assisi's charity dinner.

"For example, while deaths in the past often occurred due to acute illnesses such as infections or heart attacks, deaths today increasingly come after a period of progressive disability due to an incurable condition, such as advanced cancer, progressive organ failure or advanced dementia."

Singapore will need to "continuously modify our care model" to respond effectively, he said.

Mr Gan, who outlined goals for the sector, said stepping up capacities at Assisi will better meet the increasing palliative care needs of the community.

Expected to be completed by the end of 2014, Assisi's new hospice will be located next to Assisi's current premises at Mount Alvernia.

Serving about 1,000 patients annually through inpatient, day care and home hospice care services, the new hospice is also aimed at catering to twice the current patient load.

By setting aside spaces for training and education, Mr Gan said that this would enable Assisi to develop itself into a centre of excellence in research and training in palliative care.

In the meantime, the Lien Centre for Palliative Care has been tasked with formulating a report on the National Strategy for Palliative Care in consultation with the palliative care community.

Mr Gan said that this initiative would not only "shape our local care delivery models", but also "determine the resources needed" to realise Singapore's vision for the sector.

In a report released in June, the Lien Foundation noted that not having a national strategy is "unsustainable" as the "current fragmented system" means "there is no 'ownership' of the patient, leading to 'medical homelessness' or 'patient nomadism'... with no one to coordinate their care in a way that respects their preferences".

Mr Gan said Singapore has made "good progress" in developing palliative care services, noting that home hospice services will be enhanced so that more patients can receive palliative care at home, with (to date) seven inpatient and home hospice providers, serving about 5,000 palliative care patients yearly.

Meanwhile, the number of nurses trained in palliative care has increased by about 14 per cent over the past year, from 257 last year to 294 this year.

But even as the Government prepares to lay out a national strategy, Mr Gan stressed that Singaporeans have to be proactive in making care choices before a severe illness struck.

Raising awareness on palliative care remains key as many still hold on to misconceptions and taboos related to death and end-of-life issues, he added.

Citing some instances where family members of patients saw palliative care as futile, Mr Gan said: "I thought it was a lost opportunity for the patient and the family to make the patient's final journey as meaningful and comfortable as possible, and avoid inflicting unnecessary pain and suffering to the natural profess of dying."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Time of change at Kitchener Complex

TODAY

Some tenants acknowledge the need for a facelift but others may have to give up doing business

by Tan Weizhen

SINGAPORE - At the 25-year-old Kitchener Complex, numerous hardware stores jostle with the odd provision or coffee shop in a tumble of tired-looking businesses.

Elderly men and workers alike mill around chatting, forming what has become its own little community.

As more of Singapore's older neighbourhood centres undergo facelifts, scenes like these will soon be a distant memory. Blocks 808 and 809 of Kitchener Complex will be undergoing a makeover to become a swanky new lifestyle zone with more retail, shopping and food and beverage shops.

It could mean some owners having to give up their decades-old trades for good. Some, like the hardware stores, do not fit in with the new tenant mix, while others shy away from competing with the new.

One such shop is Li Kang Acupuncture and Chinese Medical Hall, which has been run by Mr Wee Li Kang and two partners for more than 20 years.

They are now in their 60s and 70s and it is the only work the know. In the decades running the shop, frequent customers have become friends and they congregate to chat outside the shop every Saturday.

Mr Wee said it is hard to give up both the business and the community bond. "It is already very hard to survive in this business, and will get even harder if I have to compete with the newer shops. Maybe we will have to move out or give up our shop altogether."

One factor standing in the way of the existing tenants is that most of those on the ground floor will be asked to give way to the new tenants and shift to the second floor.

The owner of Chuan Hup Huat hardware store, who wanted only be known as Mr Bai, said; "It will be a dead end for me. I've been here for over 20 years and don't think I can survive if I have to move."

He added that hardware stores deal with heavy goods, and customers and suppliers would find having to go up to the second floor a hassle.

According to the Housing and Development Board, eligible tenants who decide not to stay on will be given an ex gratia payment of S$60,000 per tenancy. Those who need to move out during the renovation period will also be given temporary premises at Eunos Industrial Estate and Kreta Ayer Road.

But for many, it is a difficult decision.

Ms Christina Teo, who has owned provision shop Foto Union Store with her husband for about 20 years, said that her family even moved to the area three years ago because of the shop.

They are caught in a bind because they expect higher rentals, which they cannot afford, once the complex is transformed. "It would be very sad for us to go because I treat this shop as a home, even more than my real home. I have made many friends here too," said Ms Teo.

However, other tenants and most of the residents Today spoke to recognise the benefits from upgrading.

Ms Teo, for instance, said the new designs look good and may attract more customers.

The upgrading will involve installing Block 809 with air-conditioning and escalators. Open spaces will also be landscaped.

Ms Mary Lee, owner of optical shop Visual Optics, said that while it is still uncertain how her shop will fare once she moves, "it is high time for a revamp".

"It is an ageing population here. Such a customer base is not so suitable for my business, which has been static in the past few years. Hopefully, this revamp will draw more and younger customers."

Residents also welcome the makeover, saying that the complex is getting dated, and is rather dirty.

Technician Ng Kok Wah, 42, who hangs out with his friends in the area, said: "I'm afraid that my favourite fishball stall will go, but then we have to change with the times. The whole place will look cleaner and more modern, too."

Photo by OOI BOON KEONG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Carnival has a message for seniors ...

Today

by Carolyn Quek

SINGAPORE - You can grow old gracefully and actively - this was the message to seniors at an Active Agers Carnival held yesterday morning at Ang Mo Kio Town Garden West.

The first-such event to be jointly organised by the citizens' consultative committees of Ang Mo Kio and Sengkang West, the carnival was graced by Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and other MPs from Ang Mo Kio and Seng Kang West.

The carnival saw a turnout of more than 2,000 residents, many of whom were seniors. Activities such as line dancing to keeping birds for bird-singing competitions were showcased at the event, to show seniors how they can keep active physically, mentally and socially.

Seniors were also taught how to use the Apple iPad at one exhibition booth set up by RSVP Singapore, a non-profit group which also conducts basic computer courses for the elderly.

Mr Lee also planted a young small-leaved nutmeg tree at the park, as part of the annual Ang Mo Kio-Sengkang West Tree Planting Day.

Rounding up his visit to the carnival, he also visited a McDonald's outlet to speak to the elderly staff working there.

According to Mr Tan Kwang Cheak, who is the senior director of operations, business development, business planning and human resources at McDonald's Singapore, about 30 to 40 per cent of its over 8,000 staff are aged 40 and above.

Said one such employee, 71-year-old Madam Lim Kim Buey, in Mandarin: "I've been working here for three months. Since I have nothing to do at home, I'd rather work to occupy my time."

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong at the active ageing and tree-planting event at Ang Mo Kio Town Garden West yesterday. Photo by OOI BOON KEONG

Image 1 of 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default She's poised to strike

TODAY

by Philip Goh Haw Hann

Ruth Ng, 25, fencing, senior executive, Business Planning, Singapore Sports Institute, Competing in fifth SEA Games (2001, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2011)

SEA Games medal record: Two golds (women's team foil 2005, 2007), one bronze (women's individual foil 2003)

HER athletic career started on the badminton court. But Ruth Ng decided to switch to fencing at age 14, attracted by the cut and thrust of this most ancient of sports.

This will be her 10th year as an international fencer, and she is thankful the sport has taken her places.

For a while, her smile even beamed from cans of Milo.

At 25, Ng is a trailblazer for her younger team-mates. She was the first medallist from the Republic at the Asian Junior Championship when she won bronze in 2006. Two years earlier, she was the first Singaporean to win gold in the Oceania Junior Championships as well as at senior level.

Ng is Singapore's highest ranked international fencer at 81, one of two from the Republic inside the top 100 (Cheryl Wong is ranked 91st).

Qualifying for the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro is her primary target, though she's trying her best to earn her place in London next year.

Balance is the key word for fencers on the piste, where every situation in attack or defence is a golden opportunity to gain a point over an opponent.

Ng will aim to keep her poise in Jakarta, ready to strike when the opportunity for gold beckons.

What was your first SEA Games experience like?

It was thrilling for me to make my debut in 2001 in Kuala Lumpur. It was less than two years after I started fencing. I cried when I saw my older team-mates winning. I was so proud of them, and I wanted to be there on the podium too. It inspired me to pursue the sport to the highest level.

What is your greatest fear?

Losing sight of my purpose in life - that means finding no meaning in wherever you are.

Tell us something about yourself most people don't know.

My fourth toe on my left foot is missing a bone.

Ruth Ng. Photo by JASON HO
    Last edited by Loh; 11-08-2011 at 07:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default After the worlds', she wants gold

TODAY

by Tan Yo-Hinn
    04:45 AM Nov 09, 2011

Daphne Tan, 21, bowling

MDIS business student

Competing in her first SEA Games

WITH half of Singapore's six-strong women's team for the SEA Games sharing the same surname, it's no surprise Daphne Tan is often mixed up with older sister Cherie and team-mate Jazreel.

But Daphne's bubbly and outgoing personality, as well as her height - she is 1.70m tall - makes her stand out.

She has been a regular in the national bowling team for the past few years, picking up silver medals at the 2007 Asian Youth Championships and 2010 World Youth Championships, among other accolades.

Her amazing run at this year's Women's World Tenpin Bowling Championships in Hong Kong, where she finished second to American Shannon Pluhowsky, has turned her into the "poster girl" of Singapore bowling.

The run in Hong Kong has prompted her sister and confidante, Cherie, to tease her, pinning the tag the world's "second best" female bowler on Daphne.

How was the Today photoshoot?

It was weird - I've never done something like this before. It was fun and the poses were quite funny.

What do you expect from the SEA Games?

This is my first Games so I have no idea what to expect. Cherie competed once in Bangkok, but she hasn't told me much about it. It's just another bowling tournament, but we want to go there and enjoy ourselves.

What goals do you have?

I want to be world champion. In 2007, I set a target of achieving that in around five years. I didn't get it at this year's world championships so 2013 will be it for me.

What is your biggest fear?

Creepy crawlies! I hate anything that crawls.

Tell us something interesting about yourself.

I like Eeyore (Winnie the Pooh character). I have more than 20 Eeyore soft toys of all sizes in my bedroom. All of them are gifts - I just like Eeyore because he's cute.

Q: Has anyone ever told you that you look like TV actress Michelle Chong?

Yes, even my mother thinks so!

Daphne Tan. Photo by JASON HO
    Last edited by Loh; 11-08-2011 at 07:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 20 F1 powerboats to face off in Marina Bay Reservoir

The Straits Times

Published on Nov 9, 2011

Twenty F1 powerboats will careen round the race course within the Marina Bay Reservoir, working their way round tight corners and jostling with one another to finish tops in the F1H2O Nations Cup. -- PHOTO: MAXIT INTERNATIONAL

Twenty F1 powerboats will careen round the race course within the Marina Bay Reservoir, working their way round tight corners and jostling with one another to finish tops in the F1H2O Nations Cup.

The boats, with some of the most powerful engines on water, will be in Singapore on Nov 19 and 20. The championship between 10 nations is a unique event for power boating as countries will be competing against each other, instead of against the usual teams. The race will test the skills of the drivers who will be racing to get around in the quickest time on a track laid out in the Marina Bay area, the organisers said in a press statement.

On the first day of the two-day race, the drivers will race one-on-one against each other until there are only two drivers left in the final. A boat draw ensures that there is pure equality between the teams- each team picks their boat numbers out of a hat. This is done to make sure that no team makes major changes to the boat, and is to show that the best driver will win. The second day sees the boats competing against the whole field in a group race.

Ms Zalinah Jantan, Managing Director of Maxit International, the organiser of F1H2O Nations Cup Singapore 2011 said: 'We are delighted to bring the F1H2O Nations Cup to Singapore this year for the inaugural round. Singaporeans have a growing love of all things motorsport and this is something very different from what they would have experienced before. We are sure this will be an exciting competition and will leave all those watching on the edge of their seats.'