User Tag List

Page 314 of 500 FirstFirst ... 214 264 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 364 414 ... LastLast
Results 5,322 to 5,338 of 8500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Women's water polo team take first title for Singapore

Published on Nov 12, 2011

Singapore's women's water polo team beat host nation Indonesia 11-9 this morning at the Lumban Tirta Swimming Stadium to take the first women's water polo title at the biennial event. -- ST PHOTO: DESMOND WEE

By May Chen

PALEMBANG - Some in the team waited as long as 12 years to play at the SEA Games, but Singapore's women's water polo team have finally tasted gold.

They beat host nation Indonesia 11-9 on Saturday morning at the Lumban Tirta Swimming Stadium to take the first women's water polo title at the biennial event.

The men's event will begin next week.

Singapore is in search of its 24th consecutive gold.
    Attached Images Attached Images            

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default SEA Games comes to Singapore in 2015

• The SEA Games will come to Singapore in 2015, paving the way for a new Sports Hub to mark its inauguration with a bang. -- ST PHOTO

By Terrence Voon

The SEA Games will come to Singapore in 2015, paving the way for a new Sports Hub to mark its inauguration with a bang.

The SEA Games Federation agreed to hand the hosting rights of the biennial Games to the Republic after a meeting in Palembang on Saturday.

The regional multi-sport event was last held in Singapore in 1993.

Cambodia was slated to host the 28th edition of the Games in four years' time, but pulled out earlier this year due to logistical difficulties.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sprinter Gary Yeo clocks personal best to win silver in 100m

By May Chen

PALEMBANG - Sprinter Gary Yeo clocked 10.46 seconds - a new personal best - in the men's 100m sprint to win silver.

His win marks the Republic's first medal in the blue-riband event since UK Shyam took silver at the 2001 Kuala Lumpur Games.

Franklin of Indonesia is the new fastest man in South-east Asia, after winning in 10.37 seconds.

Wachara Sondee clocked 10.47 seconds to finish third.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Shooter Zhang Jin successfully defends men's 10m air rifle title

Singapore's gold rush at the SEA Games continued in Palembang on Saturday afternoon, when shooter Zhang Jin successfully defended his title in the men's 10m air rifle event. -- BERITA HARIAN PHOTO: ZAINAL YAHYA

By Terrence Voon

Singapore's gold rush at the SEA Games continued in Palembang on Saturday afternoon, when shooter Zhang Jin successfully defended his title in the men's 10m air rifle event.

The 23-year-old fired a combined winning score of 685.9, beating Malaysia's Mohd Jaafar by just 0.1 point.

This is Singapore's first gold in the sport at the Nov 11 - 22 Games.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Get closer to MediaCorp ... at its new campus

04:45 AM Nov 12, 2011

SINGAPORE - Interaction with the public will go up several notches at MediaCorp's new home because the public will be given much greater access to the artistes, media professionals and journalists than ever before.

For example, the public can take a peek during drama productions or even news broadcasts. They can also visit cafes, restaurants and gift shops or enjoy performances in a 1,600-seat state-of-the-art performance theatre.

Much of this is currently not possible because MediaCorp's current premises at Caldecott Hill are designated a protected area.

On the new campus, MediaCorp chief executive Shaun Seow said yesterday: "We're going to demystify ourselves a little. People can actually peep into our operations, our newsrooms, for example, and we're going to have a really big theatre where people can come and watch our shows and have dinner and drinks before or after."

In his speech yesterday, MediaCorp chairman Teo Ming Kian said that the company's design brief called for a "fenceless campus so the public can flow through it readily".

Mr Teo noted that the increased public access will not be done "at the expense of security or interference to our staff at work".

Said Mr Teo: "Our challenge has always been managing the complexity of seeming contradictions ... Public engagement versus security is but another of such contradictions."

The campus will also house facilities for industry partners to experiment with MediaCorp's new products, Mr Seow added.

He said: "For example, people who are developing apps for our phones, for our OTT services, they will be able to come here and experiment with us and, through the closer connection with the industry, we hope to generate more exciting content."

Guests viewing the model of MediaCorp's new premises at the ground-breaking ceremony. Photo by WEE TECK HIAN

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gardens by the Bay open to public for preview

By Hetty Musfirah | Posted: 12 November 2011 1709 hrs

SINGAPORE : Some key features of Gardens by the Bay, including one of the two conservatories, are open to the public for a week-long sneak preview from Monday.

The preview is being held in conjunction with the 20th World Orchid Conference.

Spanning some 1.2 hectares, the flower dome is the larger of the two conservatories.

It features plants from semi-arid subtropical regions like the Mediterranean Basin and South Africa.

Highlights include the baobabs and olive trees - some of which are over 1,000 years old.

Kenneth Er, Chief Operating Officer of Gardens by the Bay: "What you see today is really what we have prepared over the last five years, beginning from how we have sourced the plants. And some of these plants, because they require a cool and dry environment, we could only bring them in when the air conditioning systems were up, sometime in June this year."

Most of the flora and fauna there are permanent fixtures. But displays at the flower field will be changed from time to time, to reflect the different seasons and festivals.

For now, some 14,000 orchid plants are on display as part of the World Orchid Conference.

Another key feature is also open during the preview - the Heritage Gardens, comprising the Indian garden, the Chinese garden, the Malay Garden and the Colonial Garden.

Visitors do not need tickets to enter the Heritage Gardens.

These gardens reflect the history and culture of Singapore's three main ethnic groups and the city-state's colonial heritage.

"We are a country of multi-cultures and the gardens offer the perspective from the viewpoint of plants. These plants had also accompanied the different culture groups when they came to Singapore. The Indians, when they came to Singapore, brought along many of the exciting herbs and spices," said Dr Kiat W. Tan, CEO of Gardens by the Bay.

NParks said the preview will help them gauge the public's interest and will be useful in its pricing strategies for tickets when the attraction officially opens in June next year. The promise is to keep it affordable where there could be discounts and annual passes.

At least 300,000 visitors are expected at the preview.

- CNA /ls

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On TV, I witnessed two of our teenage boys in swimming overwhelming the odds to take the gold medal in the 400m individual medley and the 50m butterfly. They are Quah Sen Wen (?) and Joseph Schooling, who will also feature in the 100m and 200m Fly, I believe.

As expected, Tao Li won the 100m women's butterfly as well.

Well done!

And the Singapore girls have just won the gold in 4 x 100m medley relay, with Tao Li giving a 2 1/2 body-length to Amanda Lim in the free to take them home.
    Last edited by Loh; 11-12-2011 at 07:02 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default S'pore should "soften" urban landscape

Posted: 12 November 2011 0942 hrs
    SINGAPORE: Singapore cannot avoid urbanisation, but it can soften the urban landscape with greenery and sensitive management of the environment.

That is the view of Minister for National Development Khaw Boon Wan, who launched the rejuvenated Yishun Pond next to the Khoo Teck Puat Hospital (KTPH) in Yishun, on Saturday.

"Globalisation is fast-paced and often impersonal, but again we cannot unlock ourselves from globalisation, (so) let's work even harder to re-create the old kampung in new HDB heartlands, to re-create kampungs in our lives," Mr Khaw said.

Over the past year, the pond and its surroundings had been transformed into a waterfront park, making it an ideal spot for residents to exercise, as well as rest and relax.

For patients at the adjacent KTPH, it is a place they can interact and recuperate.

"The HDB has a big job in creating many more common spaces where people can interact," Mr Khaw said.

"Instead of just rushing from your flat to your office and back to your flat, let's particularly create common spaces like this, that in a way make people meet, walk, slow down, say 'hello, how are you', and care for one another."

For someone who has been directly involved in the development of the KTPH and the surrounding areas, Mr Khaw has another challenge for the planners.

He is encouraging them to bring back the hornbills to Yishun Park.

Mr Khaw noted the hornbills were a common sight in Singapore 100 years ago but they too disappeared with urbanisation.

Mr Khaw added there are some 100 hornbills in Singapore with a small family in the Istana grounds.

He said he hopes to see more of these magnificent birds in Singapore's urban environment.

- CNA/wk
    Residents gather at Yishun Pond

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Teenagers on fire in the pool

Joseph and Zheng Wen help Singapore plunder in swimming, as controversy swirls around aquatic centre

by Tan Yo-Hinn
    04:45 AM Nov 13, 2011

PALEMBANG - Singapore's swimming gold machine hummed magnificently here last night on the first day of the competition at the 26th SEA Games, with two teenage rookies making a huge splash at the Jakabaring Aquatics Centre.

Joseph Schooling, 16, announced his arrival on the big stage with a superb swim in the men's 50m butterfly, while 14-year-old Quah Zheng Wen was in stunning form in the men's 400m individual medley.

At the end of the first night, Singapore had won four golds, two silvers and a bronze in the pool. Tao Li picked up two wins - women's 100m fly and 4x100m IM - to begin her quest to win a possible eight golds here - she dropped out of the 100m backstroke.

Unfortunately, controversy dogged the swimming programme yesterday. Several teams were upset that the Indonesians were housed in a hotel, while the other contingents stayed in the Athletes' Village.

Speaking to Today, Thai coach Pitipat Rattanasrikiat said: "If everyone stays in the Athletes' Village or a hotel, then it's okay, it's fair. This morning, 10 of our swimmers came down with stomach problems. I don't know why it happened just before the swimming competition."

Philippines coach Carlos Brossas said: "Just the other day, I was asking one of the Indonesian officials where were they 'hiding', and they said about an hour's drive away

"lf this was done in places like North America or Europe, they would not stand for it. But being Asians, culturally, I think we are more tolerant of such things.

"But I feel it is not very nice."

Malaysia's team manager Tan Seok Khoon added: "It's not nice, but I suppose it's the host nation's prerogative to do so.

"We just have to get on with it and make the most of what we have."

Tan also questioned why the Indonesian team bus was permitted to enter the Jakabaring Aquatics Centre when most of the other vehicles were prohibited from even entering the vast Jakabaring Sports City, which houses the swimming facility, among other venues

Indonesia coach Alberto Sutanto defended his team's decision to stay at the Health and Safety Environment Hotel - a 45-minute drive away from the Jakabaring Aquatics Complex.

The 36-year-old, a former SEA Games champion, explained that they had only been allocated four rooms at the Village - each can accommodate six persons - for their 27-strong squad.

"We did not want to stay separately as it's not good for team spirit," he claimed. "I'm surprised at the criticism.

"They think as hosts, we are trying to gain an unfair advantage. But travelling long distances doesn't help us, either."

The brouhaha failed to take the shine off a spectacular start by regional swimming powerhouses Singapore, who unveiled two new male stars.

Schooling posted a new national record and Games mark of 24.06s to finish ahead of Indonesia's Glenn Victor Sutanto (24.20) and Vietnam's Guy Phuoc Hoang (24.66) in the men's 50 fly.

Quah clinched the men's 400m IM in 4:24.33s, finishing well ahead of team-mate Jeremy Kevin Matthews (4:27.41) and Indonesia's Akbar Nasution (4:31.27).

A little starry-eyed, Schooling said: "There were so many people and they went nuts. When they announced the Indonesians, I couldn't hear my music (in my headphones).

"The 50m fly is the hardest, and now I'm just excited and looking forward to the rest of my events, and hopefully more gold."

Joseph Schooling of Singapore took the Gold for the Mens 50m Butterfly at the 26th SEA Games in Palembang. Photo by TAN YO-HINN

Last edited by Loh; 11-13-2011 at 12:00 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Golden wedding gift for brother

Lee bags Singapore's first canoeing win and also pockets a silver

by Low Lin Fhoong

JAKARTA - It was a lung-bursting race to the finish for canoeist Geraldine Lee (picture) in the women's K1 500m at Cipule Lake yesterday.

Lee, 24, powered home in the end in the six-woman field to clinch Singapore's second gold of the 26th SEA Games - after James Wong's win in the men's discus in Palembang - with a time of 2min 02.47sec.

Indonesian paddler Masrifah took the silver (2:04.47sec), with Thi Duyen Nguyen of Vietnam claiming the bronze (2:04:56).

Speaking to Today after the medal ceremony at Cipule Lake, Karawang, Lee said: "I feel very happy and I am honoured to win a gold medal for Singapore at about the same time as a veteran like James Wong. I missed out on qualifying for the Olympic Games at the Asian (Canoe Sprint) Championships and that really motivated me to do well at this Games.

"I just gave the race everything I had and, in the last 100m, every part of my body was screaming (in pain). I was too tired to celebrate at the end."

Lee's victory was a special one for the entire family, who would no doubt have toasted her golden triumph at her elder brother's wedding dinner in Ipoh, Malaysia, last night.

Lee, who is on no-pay leave from her job as a contract executive with the Land Transport Authority, was unable to attend the wedding due to the Games.

She said: "My family was initially not so happy that I wouldn't be able to go, but I'm going to call him (brother Lee Zhi Xiang) later with the news."

Team-mates Stephenie Chen and Suzanne Seah also gave the 13-member team something to cheer about, after finishing behind Vietnam's Thi Hao Kieu and Thi Mai Nguyen (1:53.26) to clinch the silver medal in the women's K2 500m in 1min 53.52sec.

Myint Myint Than and Hnin Wai Lwin of Myamnar finished third in a time of 1min 53.59sec.

Winners of the South-east Asian Canoeing Championships (women's K4 500m), the women's team of Wilona Lee, Andrea Chen, Annabelle Ng and Lee were looking to end Day 2 of competition on a high in the event here.

A neck-and-neck race to the finish saw the 3,000 spectators lined up along the banks of Cipule Lake cheering and screaming on the local favourites, and the Indonesians on the water did not disappoint, sprinting away in the final 100m to claim the gold in 1min 41.00sec, just 0.59sec ahead of the Singaporeans.

Thailand finished third (1:42.83).

Despite the heartbreaking loss, team manager Shaun Ho gave the team credit for their six-medal haul (one gold, three silver, two bronze) - their best performance at the SEA Games with one day of the competition to go.

Said Ho: "Our target was only one gold medal ... being able to achieve this is an amazing feeling and I'm very happy. We are hoping for more medals in tomorrow's events."

Gold medalist Lee will feature in the women's K4 200m today, with Team Singapore's canoeists pencilled in for the men's K1 200m, K2 200m, and women's K1 200m, K2 200m and K4 200m on the final day of competition.

Singapore Sea Games gold medal canoeist Geraldine Lee celebrating with team mates after the medal ceremony. Photo by Don Wong
    Last edited by Loh; 11-13-2011 at 12:03 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Wong's final hurrah

Veteran ends SEA Games love affair with a 10th gold

by Tan Yo-Hinn

PALEMBANG - He has led the way for the sport in Singapore and, after a final flourish, James Wong believes the country's athletics future is bright.

Yesterday, the 42-year-old secured Singapore's first gold medal at the 26th SEA Games in Indonesia, when he claimed gold in the men's discus final for the ninth time with a winning throw of 51.32m at the Jakabaring Athletics Stadium in Palembang.

His distance was enough to edge out Indonesia's Hermanto, who took silver in 50.56m, and bronze medallist Kvanchai Numsomboon of Thailand (50.28).

It was Wong's 10th SEA Games gold overall - he also won the hammer at the Jakarta Games in 1997.

"Looking at the team today, it looks bright, from the juniors upwards," said the 1.96m tall, 120kg Wong, Singapore's flag bearer at Friday's opening ceremony.

"But everybody must keep believing in themselves. Without belief, we can never move forward.

"It's not difficult, I've done it 10 times. It is possible to do it, but you have to fight for it."

Wong will now focus on his role as the Singapore Athletics Association's high performance chief and also spend more time with his family.

The likes of 2011 South-east Asian Junior champion Wong Kai Yuen, who is tipped to succeed Wong, would have noted his fighting qualities yesterday.

He made a tepid start, mustering only 49.64m in his first attempt before faulting in his next two. Kvanchai threatened to cause an upset after a throw of 50.28m in his first attempt.

But the experience and know-how of the veteran campaigner kicked in, as Wong posted distances of 51.32m - his winning throw - 51.05m and 50.78m in his final three throws, while the Thai faded away as home favourite Hermanto pipped him to the silver with his sixth and final throw of 50.56m.

As soon as Kvanchai marked 49.98m in his final throw, Wong, who had sat in isolation away from his rivals in the tent, stood up and punched the air with both fists in triumph, before unfurling the Singapore flag and saluting Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean, who was in the stands.

Fighting back tears, he said: "I really have to thank my wife (Jana), she's supported and pushed me all the time.

"It was really stressful as every throw counts. Going into the fourth throw ... I said let's do one for the fourth throw, relax, composed myself and launched it out ... I'm just glad everything turned out according to plan."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Singaporean kayak pair clinch another gold

Published on Nov 13, 2011
    After narrowly missing out on gold on Saturday, Singaporean kayak pair Suzanne Seah (left) and Stephenie Chen (right) made up for the disappointment on Sunday to win the K2 200m race in Lake Cipule. -- ST PHOTO: MUGILAN RAJASEGERAN

By Jonathan Wong

JAKARTA - After narrowly missing out on gold on Saturday, Singaporean kayak pair Stephenie Chen and Suzanne Seah made up for the disappointment on Sunday to win the K2 200m race in Lake Cipule.

It is the Republic's second gold medal in the canoe events of the SEA Games in Indonesia.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Peek into the Gardens

Some key features of Gardens by the Bay, including one of the two conservatories - the Flower Dome (picture) - will be open to the public for a week-long sneak preview from tomorrow, in conjunction with the 20th World Orchid Conference. The National Parks Board said the preview will help them gauge the public's interest and will be useful in its pricing strategies for tickets when the attraction officially opens in June next year. At least 300,000 visitors are expected at the preview. Channel NewsAsia, photo by Wee Teck Hian

Flower Dome at Gardens by the Bay. Photo by Wee Teck Hian

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default S'pore to host 2015 Games on Republic's 50th year of independence

by Tan Yo-Hinn

PALEMBANG - The SEA Games will return to Singapore after a break of 22 years.

At the SEA Games Federation council meeting here yesterday, the 10 other member nations unanimously gave their backing to award the hosting rights to Singapore for South-east Asia's biggest multi-sport showpiece.

It will be the fourth time the Republic will stage the Games, after 1973, 1983 and 1993, when the hosts won a record 50 gold medals. And it will be a landmark Games for the country, which will celebrate its 50th year of independence in 2015.

Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean, who had attended the meeting held on the sidelines of the 26th SEA Games, which Indonesia is hosting in Jakarta and Palembang, said: "I'm glad to say that our friends (from ASEAN) have agreed to allow us to host the SEA Games in 2015. We are very grateful for that.

"We will try our best to give them a very good SEA Games in Singapore."

It was thought Cambodia would also make a bid for the 2015 Games, but earlier this week, their chef-de-mission here, Vath Chamroeun, told Today that the Kingdom would bid to stage the 2017 edition instead.

DPM Teo, who is also president of the Singapore National Olympic Council, said the priority now is to put a plan in place. Details like the sports programme will be worked out over the next couple of years.

The S$1.33 billion Sports Hub, currently being built on a 35-ha site in Kallang, is set be the main venue for the Games. Set to be completed in April 2014, it will feature a 55,000-seater National Stadium with a retractable roof as its centrepiece.

There will also be multi-purpose indoor arenas and an aquatics arena, the Singapore Sports Institute, a water sports centre and the existing 12,000-capacity Singapore Indoor Stadium, along with office and retail space.

DPM Teo: "We have many facilities and in the pipeline we have the Sports Hub. It will be a good opportunity for us to use the Sports Hub and host the SEA Games as our first multi-sport event there."

The 2015 SEA Games will be the largest multi-sport event held in Singapore since the inaugural Youth Olympic Games last year.

DPM Teo said the 2015 SEA Games will be very different compared to the Youth Olympics, with fewer contingents but more athletes.

Around 10,000 athletes and officials from 11 ASEAN nations are expected to feature at the Games.
    Last edited by Loh; 11-13-2011 at 12:34 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Zhang Jin flies in, wins a close contest, flies home

by Tan Yo-Hinn

PALEMBANG - Not having the time to think about the "ifs", "buts" and "maybes" usually leads to success. Singapore shooter Zhang Jin will testify to that.

Barely 48 hours after arriving here for the 26th SEA Games, he defended his men's 10m air rifle gold medal with a score of 685.9 points at the Jakabaring Shooting Complex.

It was just 0.01 points more than Malaysia's Mohd Jaafar (685.8), with Thailand's Weerawat Chaisawat claiming the bronze with 685.1 points.

Due to his hectic schedule, the third-year civil engineering undergraduate at the National University of Singapore (NUS) arrived here on Thursday, had one practice session at the competition venue, and will return home today to prepare for his exams, which take place from Nov 19 to 29.

Issues over transportation, accommodation and food have been well-documented at this SEA Games, with further bouts of suspected food poisoning affecting several Team Singapore athletes, including Zhang's team-mate Jasmine Ser and gymnast Hoe Wah Toon - both are down with diarrhoea.

Zhang said his brief stay here probably turned out to his advantage.

"Yes, maybe in a way, it is good that I don't have the chance to think too much and acclimatise," the 2006 Commonwealth Games silver medallist said.

"It's a relief for me that the whole competition for me is now over. Because I am now in university, it's harder to find time to train, and as such, the consistency might not be so good, so I had to really put in a lot of effort into each shot. I feel quite drained already!"

The opening day of the SEA Games shooting competition saw Singapore's Jasmine Ser and Aqilah Sudhir finish fifth and sixth in the women's 50m three positions final.

But Zhang's win made up for it, although Malaysia's Mohd Jaafar made sure he stretched his opponent to the limit, physically and mentally.

After nine shots, Zhang led Jaafar 676.2 to 675.3, but he had a scare when the Malaysian shot 10.5 in his 10th and final attempt while he only mustered a 9.7, until the scoreboard flashed the final tally to confirm he had won by just 0.01 points.

"I was just happy that I didn't lose it," said Zhang. "I must admit this was one of my hardest contests."

Zhang Jin (left) of Singapore took the gold for the 10m Men's Air Rifle at the 26th Sea Games in Palembang. Photo by Ooi Boon Keong
    Last edited by Loh; 11-13-2011 at 12:43 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Women gymnasts reign once again

Overcoming opening day nerves and stomach woes, they stand tall and win team gold

by Tan Yo-Hinn
    04:45 AM Nov 14, 2011

PALEMBANG - Her SEA Games debut was fraught with nerves, but gymnast Rachel Giam held it together to produce the goods and help Singapore clinch the women's team gold medal here yesterday at the 26th SEA Games.

At the Conoco Phillips Arena at the Jakabaring Sports City last night, the 16-year-old recovered from an error-strewn start to help the Republic successfully defend the women's team gold.

She joined Foo En Ning,16, Krystal Khoo, 18, Joey Tam, 17, Nur Atikah Nabilah, 20 and 22-year-old skipper Lim Heem Wei on the top rostrum with an overall total of 189.002 points as Singapore continued the domination of the event.

Singapore women won gold at the 2005 and 2007 Games, while gymnastics did not feature at the 2009 Games in Laos.

Thailand took silver (183.401), with Indonesia settling for the bronze (182.703).

The women handed the perfect 34th birthday present for national coach Yuan Kexia.

Along with their male team-mates, the women's team have had to cope with a bout of diarrhoea.

Now, with the first medal out of the way, Lim feels the team are primed for the rest of the campaign, which runs until Nov 21.

"The team title is the most important to us. If we get the gold, everyone gets one, not just one person. Hopefully, this will be a stepping stone to show to them that nothing is impossible, and that we'll do well here," said the 2010 Commonwealth Games silver medallist.

Yuan, who looked distinctly embarrassed after the team sang her "happy birthday" in front of the fans, added: "We see this as a start, a platform for our SEA Games. It was a very nervous start from the girls, and this gold medal is extremely important to us."

Rachel, who fell three times during her uneven bars routine, admitted she was a bag of nerves, but said: "Fortunately, my team-mates were here to help me ... but I didn't let it affect me. In fact, after that, I wasn't that nervous anymore."

For long periods during the team event, which lasted over three hours, there was barely any daylight between the seven competing teams, as 1,000-odd fans created a boisterous atmosphere in the arena.

Singapore were drawn to perform the vault, uneven bars, beam and floor exercise, while the Thais started with the beam before moving to the floor, vault and bars. All the teams found the beam to be a banana skin.

The order of events proved crucial, as after each completed their first three apparatus events, Singapore led by just 0.521-point from Thailand. The Thais had the more difficult bars to perform, while Singapore's final event was the floor, a traditional strong point.

Rachel, went after Tam, Khoo and Lim and before Foo En Ning, and she regained her composure to garner 11.234 points from the judges and secure 41.401 points for the floor exercise and the 189.002 overall total.

The gymnastics programme continues today with the men's and women's individual events, and Lim said: "For a (relatively) inexperienced team, we emerged a lot stronger than most.

"We had injuries, so it was really tough. We told ourselves that we're not the only ones (having these problems), and that we are stronger than that."

Singapore team clinches the women's gold medal yesterday. Photo by TAN YO-HINN

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Another gold, a landmark haul

Singapore's canoeing team enjoy their best SEA Games campaign as Chen and Seah win on final day

by Low Lin Fhoong
    04:45 AM Nov 14, 2011

JAKARTA - Stephenie Chen and Suzanne Seah capped a strong performance by Singapore's canoeists at the 26th SEA Games, winning gold in the women's K2 200m event on the final day of competition at Cipule Lake in East Karawang yesterday,

Geraldine Lee won Singapore's first canoe gold at the biennial event when she claimed the women's K1 500m on Saturday and the 15-member squad will return home with their biggest medal haul of two gold, five silver and three bronze medals.

Chen and Seah led the six-canoe field from the start to storm home in a time 40.49sec, ahead of Indonesia's Kanti Santyawati and Masripah (41.58s) and Vietnam's Kieu Thi Hao and Nguyen Thi Mai (42.04s).

It was sweet victory for the Singaporeans, who lost the gold to the Vietnamese duo in the K2 500m by just 0.26sec the day before.

Speaking to Today, part-time student Chen, 19, said: "It was a very good race and we got a good start, which was important for the 200m. I'm very happy that we won. We have been training together since the start of last year and we're good friends.

"We just put yesterday's loss behind us and we believed we could do it, and our coach had extra faith in us"

Added 21-year-old Seah: "It was a relief for us because we didn't win the gold yesterday. When we crossed the finish line, it was like, 'finally!' the feeling was really good."

The champagne will have to wait for Seah as she has to sit for her university examinations in four days time.

Said the Nanyang Technological University sports science and management student: "We are leaving tomorrow and then I'll have to hit the books. After that, we have to train harder, get bigger and stronger, build our endurance and stamina so that we can win the K2 500m next time."

The women's K4 200m quartet of Wilona Lee, Annabelle Ng, Andrea Chen and Lee claimed their second silver medal of the Games, clocking a time of 37.97s to finish behind the Indonesians (37.22s) and ahead of the Thais (38.59s).

Brandon Ooi and Clarence Chua claimed bronze in the K2 200m after finishing joint-third with Malaysia's Hamdan and Mohd Noh Parmi.

Summing up Singapore canoeing's historic achievement, team manager Shaun Ho said: "The performance was above expectations and we are very happy with the result. Hopefully, the performance of the senior athletes will attract more young people to take up the sport."

Gold medalist canoeist Geraldine Lee (right) poses for a picture at the race venue at Lake Cipule, Karawang. Geraldine and her team won a total of 10 medals at the games. Photo by DON WONG