User Tag List

Page 317 of 515 FirstFirst ... 217 267 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 367 417 ... LastLast
Results 5,373 to 5,389 of 8752
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Christmas light-up kicks off

04:45 AM Nov 20, 2011

Singapore's busiest streets was ablaze with light last night with the annual Christmas Light-Up, themed 'Christmas Blooms in Singapore' this year. The Switch-On ceremony at Ngee Ann City Civic Plaza yesterday was graced by President Tony Tan and his wife.

This year, the Orchard Road Business Association has pledged to donate S$1 to the Community Chest for every one of the 5,000 battery-operated candles distributed by carollers, and the Marina Bay Business Association is also supporting the Community Chest by donating S$6,000. It will in addition arrange for donation boxes to be placed in shuttle buses that ply the Marina Bay area during this festive period.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Four golds, en route to an Olympic goal

Singapore sailors just miss out on top spot in the medal standings but Tan's happy enough

by Shamir Osman

JAKARTA - Yukie Yokoyama stood atop the podium at the Ancol Marina on her tiptoes, the gold medal hanging from her neck. The 14-year-old was way ahead of the field on the last day of competition, taking the last two races to end with nine wins in 10 races.

But the pint-sized sailor had to stretch to reach her arms around the Thai and Malaysian boys she beat while posing for pictures.

Unlike Yukie, the Republic did not, as SingaporeSailing president Dr Ben Tan had hoped, assert its dominance as the premier sailing nation in the region.

With four gold medals, one silver and three bronzes, Singapore was pipped to top spot by the Thais, whose tally read 4-3-1.

But it did not matter.

From the sailors to the national sports association's administrators and coaches, they all have their eyes on the big prize - an Olympic medal.

"We're winning medals (here) that matter, staying on that pathway to the Olympics. We don't want to be the frog in the well and think we're the kings of the world," said Tan.

Three of Singapore's four gold medals came from Olympic class events: In the women's Laser Radial class courtesy of Victoria Chan, and the women's 470 and men's 470 team of Russell Kan and Terence Koh.

Terence Choo took bronze in the Laser Radial men's, with the RSX windsurfers, another Olympic sailing class, also bringing cheer to the Singapore camp, with one silver and a bronze.

"We want to sustain this performance at the SEA Games, but not get side-tracked by non-Olympic classes and lose sight of the big picture - the Olympics," added Tan.

He was pleased with the performances of the windsurfers and their coach Christian Chua.

Chua told Today: "All of them surprised me here with their persistence, commitment and aggression out on the water. I thought I had to walk on eggshells around them ... but they did what I've been telling them to do for quite some time, and made Singapore proud."

For Sara Tan, the Games has been an eye-opener to what exactly is required to make that leap from regional success to the very top.

She said: "The SEA Games is the first step, then comes the World Championships in Perth the following week. As I go through each, I'm learning more about what it takes to compete at the Olympics."

The 20-year-old is reading Business Management at the Singapore Management University, and has to cope with her undergraduate work as well as her demanding training schedule, but that does not scare her.

"I know it takes commitment, and being in school right now, I know that all too well. But I will stick it through, it's a dream to be able to sail at the Olympics, and when I do, all this will be worth it," she said.

Victoria Chan. Getty Images

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 'The most memorable moment in my life'

In an unforgettable contest, Fu wins Singapore's first women's singles gold in badminton

by Low Lin Fhoong

JAKARTA - Majulah Singapura had not been played in a badminton hall at the SEA Games since 2003, when the women's team bagged a gold medal in Hanoi, Vietnam.

The Singapore national anthem rang out loud yesterday in a long-awaited return, after Fu Mingtian (picture) posted a stunning 2-1 win over local favourite Adriyanti Firdasari in the women's singles final in front of a raucous home crowd at the Senayan Sport Complex.

It was Singapore's first gold medal in the women's individual event in badminton at a SEA Games.

With Indonesia winning all but one out of five golds on offer yesterday - they clinched the men's singles, men's and women's doubles and mixed doubles - the 5,000-strong crowd showed their displeasure by booing the 21-year-old Singaporean, and drowned out "Majulah Singapura" by singing the Indonesian anthem during the medal ceremony.

But nothing was going to ruin Fu's moment and she shed tears during the ceremony.

"I'm very, very happy to win the gold medal because I never thought I would become the champion. For me this is a big encouragement and it's really emotional for me.

"At the start when I came on court, there was a bit of pressure and nerves because this is her (Firdasari) home ground, and the crowd was very noisy but I expected it.

"It was about being able to deal with it on my own.

"And I had Team Singapore to support me, so I was confident."

Ranked world No 26, Fu, who is the cousin of China's multiple Olympic gold medallist and diver Fu Mingxia, was seeded fourth here and worked hard to upset Thailand's Intanon Ratchanok (world No 13) in Friday's semi-final.

Firdasari, the world No 39, went into the final nursing an abdomen injury but, urged on by a vociferous crowd, stormed to a 21-14 victory in the first game as Fu struggled to find her feet amid the deafening horns, clappers and roars of the partisan fans.

Regrouping after a huddle with coach Luan Jing, Fu turned on the heat in the second game to level the score with a 21-12 victory over the 24-year-old Indonesian.

A scintillating and tense point-for-point battle kept the crowd on their feet in the third game, with little separating both shuttlers as they levelled the score 12 times before Firdasari clinched match point at 20-19.

But the gutsy Singaporean saved the match point to even matters at 20-20.

She coolly delivered a comeback victory to remember, clinching the next point with some deft net play before punching the air with her fists after her forehand drive bounced off Firdasari's racket to seal the match 22-20 and send the 50-strong Team Singapore supporters in the stands into rapturous celebration.

Said coach Luan Jing: "Today, Mingtian played a beautiful game. She was a little bit nervous and conservative in the first game but I was still optimistic.

"Her condition and game have been improving in every match ... she played well and her luck was good. Her opponent was also injured, but in the final, there was not much disadvantage."

The shuttlers will return to Singapore this afternoon with one gold and four bronze medals (men's and women's team, men's singles, women's doubles), before departing for the Li Ning China Open (Nov 22 to 27) on Monday.

But celebrations are definitely in store ahead of their flight to Shanghai, as Fu said: "I'm going to treat everyone to a big meal!"

Fu Mingtian of Singapore reacts after winning a point in the women's singles final against Firdasari Adryanti of Indonesia. GETTY IMAGES
    Last edited by Loh; 11-19-2011 at 11:56 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Universal Studios theme park ends year on a high

Published on Nov 21, 2011

Despite a bumpy debut last year, when Universal Studios' centrepiece roller coaster Battlestar Galactica spent most of the time out of action, more than 40,000 people flocked to the park for its seven-night Halloween Horrors event last month. -- THE NEW PAPER PHOTO: KELVIN CHNG

By Ng Kai Ling

Universal Studios Singapore seems to have wormed itself back into fun-seekers' good books.

Despite a bumpy debut last year, when its centrepiece roller coaster Battlestar Galactica spent most of the time out of action, more than 40,000 people flocked to the park for its seven-night Halloween Horrors event last month.

Ticket prices were quietly raised by $2 last Saturday but, from a straw poll of park visitors, few complained, as the park has more to see and do now.

The theme park wants to ensure they keep coming back, and plans to end this year on a high.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New-look Punggol Point: Waterfront buzz

Former seafood haunt features a park, 1.2km section of promenade

A 300sq m viewing deck offers visitors views of Pulau Ubin and the Strait of Johor. Land has also been set aside at Punggol Point for food and beverage outlets. -- PHOTO:
    LIANHE ZAOBAO

By Jessica Lim & Shuli Sudderuddin

Punggol Point - once home to popular seafood restaurants in the 1980s and 1990s - is ready to show off its spruced-up new face.

The 0.6ha Punggol Point Park was officially opened in the area on Sunday, and with it, a 1.2km section of the Punggol Promenade, called Punggol Point Walk.

The park also features two lily ponds and a sand-filled playground.

The old seafood restaurants are gone, but in their place is a 300 sq m viewing deck giving visitors views of Pulau Ubin and the Strait of Johor.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fu's famous cousin is her inspiration

Badminton champion knows she has so much to do if she wants the kind of success Mingxia has tasted

by Ian De Cotta
    04:45 AM Nov 21, 2011

SINGAPORE - The badminton gold medal Fu Mingtian captured in the women's singles at the 26th SEA Games in Jakarta on Saturday is clearly modest compared to what her more famous cousin Fu Mingxia has achieved.

China's diving legend Mingxia won four Olympic golds and two world titles.

She retired after the Sydney Olympics in 2000 and is 33 today.

At 21, Singapore's Fu still has a long way to go before any thoughts of her own retirement.

And after making history by becoming the first Singapore woman to win a singles gold in badminton at the SEA Games, Fu is chasing Olympic success.

She was greeted by a rousing welcome from around 200 supporters at Changi Airport's Terminal 3 yesterday.

After the hugs, pats on the back, handshakes and photos, the mood calmed down a little for her to say: "I just want to focus on next year. That is my target now and I will fight like I did on Saturday to qualify for the Games."

While many of the world's top shuttlers were missing from the SEA Games, the manner in which Fu kept her focus at match point down in the third game against home favourite Adriyanti Firdasari in the final, amidst the cackling din of the home crowd, impressed so many.

Fu says she will ask her famous cousin for advice and inspiration.

Now married and a mother of three, Mingxia, who currently stays in Hong Kong, has been kept up to date with Fu's progress.

"I called my mum after winning the gold on Saturday and I'm sure my parents told her about it," said Fu. "She's my idol and I want to become like her some day. It has been my dream to become an Olympic champion like her but I still need to improve a lot.

"She comes to meet me whenever I am in Hong Kong and there will be plenty to talk about the next time I am there."

The next big test for the world No 26 will be the China Open in Shanghai, which begins tomorrow.

Fu is scheduled to face Japan's Sayaka Sato, ranked 10 rungs above her, in Round 1 on Wednesday. Should she get past the Japanese, India's Saina Nehwal (world No 4) or Joo Bae Youn (No 10) of South Korea will be next.

Fu believes her biggest rival is none other than herself.

"I will take to Shanghai the same attitude I took to Indonesia. I have to keep my composure if I am to advance to each round, and I will take each game as it comes and fight for every point and game," she said.

Singapore Badminton Association president Lee Yi Shyan, who rushed overnight from a trip to Malacca to greet the country's latest star with a garland at the airport, was impressed by Fu's mental fortitude in the critical moment in the final.

"What she has demonstrated is the rare quality of being calm and collected at the very critical moment," said Lee, the Minister of State for Trade and Industry and National Development.

"Most players would have caved in, which is normal. But what distinguishes top players from the rest is their ability to stay focus that few seconds longer. This is the quality I want our other players to have."

Fu was greeted to a rousing welcome at Changi Airport yesterday. Photo by IAN DE COTTA
    Last edited by Loh; 11-20-2011 at 10:19 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default As sweet as Cherie

Singapore bowling star makes it three golds after a stroll in the women's masters final

by Low Lin Fhoong

JAKARTA - Her team-mates burst into song with just four frames to go in the second game of the women's masters bowling stepladder final.

"Oh Cherie Tan, oh Cherie Tan is No 1", they sang, they didn't care about petting the 23-year-old off as she was all but certain to win her third gold medal at the 26th SEA Games.

Cherie eventually posted a convincing 497-372 victory over Malaysia's Sharon Koh at the Jaya Ancol Bowling Centre yesterday to end her tournament on a high.

She had been in red-hot form all week and there was no letting up as the southpaw claimed the lead from the roll-off on short-oil conditions with a total of 267 pinfalls in the first game.

Koh, the 2010 Macau Open winner, was clearly feeling the heat, scoring only seven pins in her sixth frame to close the game with 219 pinfalls.

It was all downhill for the Malaysian kegler as a disastrous second game saw her scoring only 153, while Cherie finished with 230 for a 497 total to clinch the coveted women's masters title.

National University of Singapore undergraduate Cherie had already claimed both the women's singles and team golds earlier in the week, and she said: "It was a bit anti-climatic for me because I knew from the fifth frame that it was more or less a win so I just went and made the shots. It was not as exciting as fighting for every point to the end.

"I beat Sharon to pole in the masters so I guess she was a bit affected."

There was heartbreak for team-mate Jazreel Tan, though. Jazreel had topped the women's all events list but she was beaten to a qualifying spot in the stepladder after finishing fourth.

Koh earned the right to meet Cherie in the roll-off after disposing of her team-mate Zandra in the stepladder final.

Younger sister and team-mate Daphne Tan - who was part of the unit that won women's team gold and also bagged two silvers in the doubles and trios - was the first to offer Cherie a hug after her win.

"I'm super-uber proud of her, this is really the cherry (Cherie) on top for me," said Daphne.

The bowling contingent will return to Singapore this afternoon with a medal haul of three gold, two silver and two bronze medals, while the men's team of Keith Saw, Jason Yeong-Nathan, Ng Tiac Pin, Ng Chiew Pang, Eugene Low and Basil Low will have nothing to show for their effort.

Singapore Bowling Federation president Jessie Phua was beaming after yesterday women's masters victory and said: "She was just awesome, I was joking with the Minister that if she had moved to the men's event, she would have won. Out of the six women we brought here, everyone of them was capable of doing this."

Asked about the poor showing by the men, Singapore Bowling Federation president Jessie Phua said: "At the last SEA Games in 2007, the ladies bombed so we worked on them and we might have overlooked the guys a bit. Quite a bit of work needs to be done with the men, and we hope to replicate what we did with the women.

"Then, 2014 will be an exciting year with the Asian Games."

Women's Masters gold medalist Cherie Tan being thrown into a bowling lane by her team mates after her victory. Photo by DON WONG
    Last edited by Loh; 11-20-2011 at 10:25 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default An unexpected gold for bridge duo, synchronised swimmers nab silver

by Tan Yo-Hinn

PALEMBANG - Bridge has delivered an unexpected gold medal for Singapore here at the 26th SEA Games.

Yesterday at the Jayakarta Hotel, the Republic took the women's pairs event when Seet Choon Cheng and Tan Yoke Lan topped the 11-team final with 284 points, ahead of Thailand's S Vallapa and Sunisa Chodchoy (278), and bronze medallists Irne Korengkeng and Conny Eufke of Indonesia (268).

Singapore's Loo Choon Chou and Poon Hua also won a men's pairs silver with 265 points.

The result helped the Republic reach 41 golds at the Games.

Speaking afterwards, 63-year-old Tan, a breast cancer survivor who recently underwent surgery, said: "It's been very tiring for me as my health hasn't been good, but I persisted so as not to let my team-mate down. It's been a health risk for me to come here, but I'm glad to be able to do something for Singapore."

To prepare for the Games, the 13-strong team trained together up to five times a week after work, starting at around 9pm and sometimes going into the wee hours.

They hope bridge will be included for the 2015 SEA Games, which Singapore will host.

Meanwhile, Singapore's synchronised swimmers also struck a silver yesterday.

Stephanie Chen and Crystal Yap came in second in the duet free routine with 72.475 points at the Jakabaring Aquatics Centre, finishing behind Malaysia's Katrina Ann Abdul Hadi and Zyanne Lee. Indonesia claimed the bronze.

Speaking after the medal ceremony, a tearful Stephanie, 16, said: "Hopefully these medals will help raise the sport's profile in Singapore. Not many people know about synchronised swimming, and think it is tiring and difficult. But here, we proved that it can be done."

Crystal, 15, added: "This is our best showing so far, even though we were finalists at the Fina World Championships. It's great to be considered a SEA Games medallist."

The women's team also finished fourth in the team free routine with 71.851 points.

Malaysia (75.825) were too good and collected the gold, with Indonesia (73.925) and Thailand (72.113) settling for silver and bronze, respectively.

Tan Yoke Lan and Seet Choon Cheng won an unexpected gold medal. GETTY IMAGES
    Last edited by Loh; 11-20-2011 at 10:30 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cheers to Team Singapore, with some home cooking

by Shamir Osman

From school teachers to athletes, journalists and young volunteers, the Singapore Embassy in Jakarta was populated by Singaporeans from all walks of life, celebrating the Republic's 41-gold showing at the 26th SEA Games.

Mr Chan Chun Sing, Acting Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports, congratulated Singapore athletes for their performances in both Jakarta and Palembang, at the event hosted by Singapore's ambassador to Indonesia, Mr Ashok Mirpuri.

Guests, including athletes from dragonboat racing, wushu and judo, revelled in Singaporean delicacies like chicken rice, rojak, satay and free flowing beer, letting their hair down as the curtain prepares to fall on the SEA Games tomorrow. Photo by Shamir Osman

Photo by SHAMIR OSMAN

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Team Singapore gets 7 out of 10 rating

by Low Lin Fhoong

JAKARTA - With a day's action remaining at the 26th SEA Games, Team Singapore's 413-strong athletic contingent have so far collected 41 gold, 43 silver and 71 bronze medals.

Major-General Chan Chun Sing, Acting Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports, yesterday gave Team Singapore a seven out of 10 rating.

He said: "Overall I'm very happy to see the performance of Team Singapore - there are quite a few who have exceeded our expectations and of course there are also one or two who may not have performed to expectations.

"Isabelle Li (table tennis), to reach the finals together with Feng Tianwei, we are very happy for her.

"Yesterday (shuttler) Fu Mingtian played in a challenging environment, not an easy crowd, but she kept her calm to finally win a gold medal and that's tremendous.

"Some of the sports for some reason I think they have to go back and do some thinking - the shooting team were a bit disappointed and we have to look at some of the factors, improve from there and move on."

The lead-up to the Games saw a selection issue erupt between the Singapore Table Tennis Association (STTA) and the Singapore National Olympic Council (SNOC) over the omission of top players in place of youngsters Isabelle Li and Zena Sim.

"Both factors (wining medals and giving young athletes exposure) are important, so we need to find a balance. We want Singapore to win medals but we also need to develop young talent," said MG(NS) Chan. LOW LIN FHOONG

Photo by DON WONG
    Last edited by Loh; 11-20-2011 at 10:38 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Personal best for Wong as Olympic champ Prapawadee triumphs

by Tan Yo-Hinn

PALEMBANG - Top Singapore female weightlifter Helena Wong achieved a personal best yesterday, but came up short in the women's 53kg category at the 26th SEA Games.

The 23-year-old lifted a total of 153kg - 70kg for the snatch and 83kg in the clean-and-jerk - to finish sixth overall in the nine-strong field.

As expected, Thailand's Prapawadee Jaroenrattanatarkoon, who won the category at the 2008 Olympics, took the gold.

Prapawadee, 27, won with a total of 205kg - 90kg for the snatch and 115kg for the clean-and-jerk - at the Dempo Sports Complex at the Jakabaring Sports City.

Indonesia's Citra Febriyanti took silver (203kg), while Vietnam's Nguyen Thi Thuy settled for the bronze (200kg).

Speaking afterwards, Wong, who is competing at her first SEA Games, was happy with the result.

She had bettered her previous benchmark of 146kg set at last year's Commonwealth Games, when she finished eighth, and said: "It's an improvement from my Commonwealth Games performance, but I could have done better in training as I've been trying to lose 2kg (to get to the optimum weight).

"But this will be an important step in my preparations towards the next SEA Games and the 2014 Commonwealth Games."

Wong, who picked up the sport whilst studying at Loughborough University in Britain, is Singapore's only representative in weightlifting here and she hopes that the profile of the sport will improve.

"The Singapore Weightlifting Federation are trying to promote the sport to the secondary schools as they try to change the perception of it and raise more awareness of it," she said. Tan Yo-Hinn

Helena Wong scored a personal best in the 53kg category event of the weightlifting competition yesterday. Photo by TAN YO-HINN

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Lee Kuan Yew tells of his struggle with Chinese language

New book details his own experience and S'pore's bilingual policy

The book tells of the policy challenges Mr Lee faced, including from parents who wanted an easier time for their school-going children. It also features a collection of essays by Singaporeans whose lives have been touched by the bilingual policy in one way or another. -- ST FILE PHOTO

By Goh Sui Noi, Senior Correspondent

Former prime minister Lee Kuan Yew has come out with a book on a subject close to his heart: bilingualism. It will be launched next Monday at the Singapore Conference Hall.

Entitled My Lifelong Challenge: Singapore's Bilingualism Journey, the book is the story of Mr Lee Kuan Yew's 50-year struggle to transform Singapore from a polyglot former British colony into a united nation where everyone, while knowing English, knows at least one other language, his own mother tongue.

The book tackles controversial issues such as the closure of Nanyang University and the resistance of some communities and groups to the introduction of the Speak Mandarin Campaign.
    Background story

MY LIFELONG Challenge: Singapore's Bilingualism Journey has been read with keen interest and received positive reviews from many local and foreign personages, including the following:
    • Mr Wee Cho Yaw, chairman of the United Overseas Bank Group, who was Nanyang University Council chairman when Nantah was merged with the University of Singapore:
    'To many people of my generation Nantah is more than a university. It represented the aspirations and idealism of the South-east Asian Chinese. The Nantah 'spirit' of self-reliance and strength in unity cut across social classes and national borders. In the closing line of the Nantah chapter, Mr Lee Kuan Yew advised that the spirit which inspired it (the university) deserves to be treasured and embraced by future generations of Singaporeans. I totally agree.'
    • Mr Chua Thian Poh, chairman of the Singapore Chinese Chamber of Commerce and Industry: 'This is a good book that deserves to be read by every Singaporean, particularly parents who are still undecided over how to create a positive second-language learning environment for their children.'

• Ms Stefanie Sun, Mandopop singer who had to brush up on her Mandarin to break into the Taiwan pop music market: 'As the world gets 'smaller', our red dot fights for its mark on the global community. If you ever wondered how we got this far or what makes Singaporeans tick, this book explains a lot through the eyes of Mr Lee Kuan Yew.'

• Professor Eddie Kuo Chen-Yu, Emeritus Professor, Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information, Nanyang Technological University: 'Mr Lee's... recounting of his family background and his life experiences in learning several languages makes this book a fascinating read.'

• Dr Henry Kissinger, former US secretary of state, who is an old friend of Mr Lee's: 'Lee Kuan Yew's memoir of his journey toward recognition of the value of state-supported bilingualism for his polyglot nation is a fascinating chapter in the life and lessons of one of the most innovative and successful leaders of our time. Candid and illuminating, it has valuable insights for many countries struggling to absorb an unprecedented flood of new immigrants.'

• Mr Dominic Barton, global managing director of McKinsey & Company: 'This book comes at an important time for Singapore, which continues to rigorously examine its language policies as it sets a course for its next stage of development. It also comes at an important time for the rest of the world - as other countries confront their own choices as they overhaul their educational systems to take advantage of a globally connected world.'

• Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn, Thailand: 'Now that I am studying Chinese, he sometimes prefers to talk to me in Chinese...
    'By encouraging Singaporeans to be educated in English, he has made Singapore global. By introducing Mandarin to Singaporean life, he has opened up opportunities to the new century in which Chinese will be the dominant language. I sincerely wish for the success of Mr Lee Kuan Yew's... splendid exposition.'

'The founding prime minister of Singapore tells why he did away with vernacular schools in spite of violent political resistance, why he closed Nanyang University, why he later started Special Assistance Plan schools, and why he continues to urge all ethnic Chinese Singaporeans today to learn the Chinese language,' said a press statement from Singapore Press Holdings (SPH), which provided editorial and publishing support for the book.
    Last edited by Loh; 11-20-2011 at 11:04 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default SEA Games: Gold in wushu for Singapore women's trio

Posted: 21 November 2011 1249 hrs

SINGAPORE: Wushu made it 42 gold medals for Singapore at the SEA Games.

Emily Sin Min Li, Tao Yi Jun and Tay Yu Juan clinched the gold in the women's Duilian after putting up a flawless performance in Jakarta's Senayan Sport Complex.

The trio were under tremendous pressure to defend Singapore's title in the Dulian since Yi Jun and Yu Juan were also part of the team that won the event in the previous Games.

It was a hard-fought battle for Singapore's trio as they pipped Brunei's Lee Ying Shi and Faustina Woo to second place by 0.01 point.

The Philippines took the bronze.

In the men's Duilian, it was again a tightly-fought contest.

Singapore's Fung Jin Jie, Jaryl Tay Wei Sheng and Samuel Seah Kah Yeap had to settle for the bronze after getting a score of 9.71.

Myanmar came out tops with the Philippines taking second spot.

Duilian is a choreographed fight using weapons or bare hands, where points are given for accuracy during sparring.

- CNA/ck

Last edited by Loh; 11-20-2011 at 11:05 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default World champions wow Indonesia

Singapore's women's trio strike gold No 42 in duilian final

by Low Lin Fhoong
    04:45 AM Nov 22, 2011

JAKARTA - There were appreciative gasps from the spectators watching the Singapore trio of Tao Yi Jun, Tay Yu Juan and Emily Sin execute their 52-sec routine in the duilian final at the Senayan Sports Complex yesterday.

At the end of it, loud cheers rang out for the world champions after their flawless performance and there was little surprise when they won the gold medal after scoring 9.71 points.

Tao, Tay and Sin clinched Singapore's 42nd and final gold medal of the 26th SEA Games here in Indonesia, after performing the same routine that saw them clinch the title at the World Wushu Championships in Turkey this year.

Brunei's women's duilian team won the silver with 9.70 points, while the Philippines (9.68) claimed the bronze.

The gold-medal performance was all the more significant for veteran athletes Tao and Tay, as the Games mark their swansong in the sport.

Schoolteacher Tao, 26, who began competing in 2004, said: "I feel very happy winning the 42nd gold medal for Singapore. We are very satisfied with our performance today.

"Now, I want to focus on my work and I'm really glad that we got the gold medal before retiring."

Tay, a 21-year-old bioscience undergraduate at the Nanyang Technological University, added: "This is really a dream come true for all of us and I'm still shaking from the adrenaline and excitement.

"We really worked hard for this. Now, I would like to experience my university life.

"I decided that when I reach the peak, it's okay to retire and move on and experience different things."

With the Republic scheduled to host the 28th SEA Games in 2015, 17-year-old Emily could be one of the stars of the event in four years' time, if wushu is on the programme.

Tay gave her younger team-mate her vote of confidence, when she said: "Emily has great potential and I really wish her the best. Yi Jun and I will be there supporting the team from the sidelines in 2015."

Hwa Chong Institution student Emily made her SEA Games debut here and it was the best possible start for her.

"Getting the chemistry right was a lot harder but my seniors really helped me a lot. It's been challenging, but it's great to win this because everyone dreams of winning a medal at the SEA Games," she said.

The Singapore Wushu Dragon and Lion Dance Federation will spare no effort getting their exponents in tip-top shape for the 2015 Games.

Ang Mong Seng, the federation's president, said: "It's good to get the gold medal. To prepare for the 2015 SEA Games we want more people to take part in the sport. We didn't take part in Sanda (modern fighting technique influenced by Chinese boxing) so we hope to work on that. We want to expand the disciplines ... work with schools and try to develop more juniors to take part in the sport.

"We want to compete in all events in wushu in 2015."

Men's duilian exponents Fung Jin Jie, Jaryl Tay and Samuel Seah bagged a bronze medal in their event, scoring 9.71 points to finish behind winners Myanmar (9.73) and silver medallists Philippines (9.72).

Singapore's duilian gold medallists Tao Yi Jun, Emily Sin and Tay Yu Juan. Photo by DON WONG

Last edited by Loh; 11-21-2011 at 08:32 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Synchronised swimmers set to show off at home next year

by Tan Yo-Hinn
    04:46 AM Nov 22, 2011

PALEMBANG - Singapore will stage the inaugural South-east Asia (SEA) Swimming Championships next year.

Details have yet to be finalised, but Today understands that the biennial meet will see the region's best from swimming, diving, waterpolo, synchronised swimming and open-water swimming locking horns in a week-long meet that may be held at the Singapore Sports School in May.

The news will come as a boost to Singapore's aquatics scene, including synchronised swimming.

The synchronised swimming team (picture) picked up a third silver on the penultimate day of competition here at the 26th SEA Games in the combined free routine, chalking up 73.101 points - 36.613 for technical merit and 36.488 for artistic impression - in a thrilling competition that wowed the 1,000-odd crowd at the Jakabaring Aquatics Centre.

Regional powerhouses Malaysia (75.363) won the event to complete a clean sweep of all five golds at stake in the competition, with Indonesia taking bronze (71.713).

Singapore also won silver in the team duet and team free routines, and a bronze in the team routine to finish second in overall standings ahead of Indonesia.

Singapore Swimming Association (SSA) vice-president (synchronised swimming) Tay Chin Joo said the challenge now is to keep this team together, possibly for the 2015 SEA Games in Singapore.

"We're very pleased with their performance as we were only targeting two bronzes, but they've far exceeded my expectations," she said.

"But as part of the team are made of up of students going overseas ... we need to start developing not only the senior team but also the junior national team."

Next January, the SSA will name a successor to current head coach Akari Kato, whose one-year contract expires next month.

The Japanese led the team to a 12th-place finish in the combined free routine event at July's FINA World Championships in Shanghai, and her close relationship with the squad, which includes 14-year-old Natalie Chen - the youngest of Singapore's 414 athletes at this SEA Games - was evident when they jumped into the diving pool for celebratory photos together.

"At the moment, they are still very young and need plenty more experience, but give them another two or three years and you'll see what they can do," said Kato.

Synchronised swimming last featured at the 2001 SEA Games in Kuala Lumpur, where Singapore finished bottom of the five-team competition.

"Seeing how our neighbours are doing certainly helps. We were not so good before, and here we are now in second ... we now know we cannot let go of what we have, and we hope to build on this team," said captain Mei Shan Krishnan who, at 23, is the oldest and most experienced member of the squad. Tan Yo-Hinn

Photo by OOI BOON KEONG
    Last edited by Loh; 11-21-2011 at 08:42 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Singapore target top-two finish in Nations Cup

by Philip Goh Haw Hann
    04:45 AM Nov 22, 2011

SINGAPORE - The Republic's netball team are aiming high at next month's FairPrice Foundation Nations Cup from Dec 5 to 11.

Speaking to Today following the announcement of the 12-player squad yesterday, co-captain Jean Ng said the team are targeting a top-two finish in the six-nation tournament.

Three of the nations are ranked higher than Singapore - Fiji (10th), Papua New Guinea (17th) and Sri Lanka (18th).

Malaysia (21) and Namibia (24) are just below Singapore, who are currently world No 21.

"The Nations Cup marks the start of a new four-year build-up for the next World Championships in 2015," said Ng, a 92-cap veteran. "It's an opportunity for us to blood new players and continue with a renewal of the national team as the older players make way."

Eight of the 12 players named turned out for Singapore at the World Netball Championships held here in July, with coach Kate Carpenter drafting in four players from the national 21-and-under team.

Said Carpenter: "These players have shown the potential to succeed at the national level for Singapore and will need to be working hard to earn court time."

Centre Shelby Koh, 17, is the baby of the team."It is a great opportunity for me to play alongside experienced seniors and get the international exposure," said the St Joseph's Institution International student.

As for Ng, the tournament will nudge her even closer to the 100-cap.

"The drive for results is very addictive for me," said the 33-year-old.

"I'm still enjoying myself playing at the highest level but I'll be glad to see younger players coming through the ranks to replace me.

"They'll need to fight me for the place, though, because this is the national team and they cannot expect to just stroll in."

Singapore squad

Cassandra Soh, Charmaine Soh, Yu Mei Ling, Chen Huifen, Charlene Porima, Nurul Baizura, Vanessa Lee, Shelby Koh, Premila Hirubalan, Jean Ng (co-captain), Lin Qingyi (co-captain), Chen Li Li

FairPrice Foundation Nations Cup 2011

Dec 5 to 11

Toa Payoh Sports Hall

For more information go to www.netball.org.sg

Also follow Netball Singapore on Facebook and Twitter (Netball_SG)

Co-captain Lin Qingyi will be in action again next month in the FairPrice Foundation Nations Cup. PHOTO COURTESY NETBALL SINGAPORE
    Last edited by Loh; 11-21-2011 at 08:47 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Executive Chairman of Shangri-La Hotel chairs Yale-NUS College

Posted: 22 November 2011 0905 hrs
    SINGAPORE: Singapore's first liberal arts college has announced the members of its founding governing board.

The Yale-NUS College governing board is chaired by Mdm Kay Kuok, executive chairman of Shangri-La Hotel Limited and a member of National University of Singapore's (NUS) Board of Trustees.

The 10-member board comprises the presidents of Yale University and NUS -- Professor Richard C. Levin and Professor Tan Chorh Chuan -- and other industry leaders from Singapore and the USA, a senior Singapore Education Ministry official and a leading liberal arts college president.

The board will serve a three-year term, providing strategic direction and oversight of the school, and will be instrumental in the appointment of the college president and faculty.

The school, a landmark collaboration between Yale University and NUS, will open in August 2013 with an intake of 150 students.

It's the first campus outside New Haven, Connecticut by Yale.

Said Madam Kay Kuok, Chair of the Yale-NUS College Governing Board: "It is a distinct honor to be the Chair of Yale-NUS College, a groundbreaking partnership between two of the world's leading universities, Yale University and NUS.

"We believe strongly that there is a need in today's changing world for a top quality undergraduate education that teaches students to think critically, prepares them for leadership in all sectors of society, and offers a full residential college experience.

"The lively co-curricular activities and exciting global study abroad and internship opportunities will contribute to developing the whole person.

"I see the opportunity to develop a novel, world-class educational experience as a rare privilege.

"The Board and I are deeply committed to working with the leadership of Yale-NUS on an education that will draw from both Yale and NUS, a truly distinctive experience that will develop the brightest students into future leaders for Asia, and the world."

The Yale-NUS campus will be built next to NUS' University Town along Clementi Road, in close proximity to world-class research and entrepreneurial hubs as well as the NUS Kent Ridge Campus.

LIST OF BOARD MEMBERS:
    Yale-NUS College Governing Board

Chair
    Mdm Kay Kuok Oon Kwong
    Executive Chairman
    Shangri-La Hotel Limited, Singapore

Members
    Mr Gautam Banerjee
    Executive Chairman
    PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP

Mr Roland Betts
    Founder & Chairman