User Tag List

Page 38 of 511 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 88 138 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    I think Jet Li appeared in the recent Apec Summit meetings as one of the well known personalities to be interviewed by cadet/undergraduate reporters. He has started a foundation to promote charity.
    That's good news. Anyway we can get him involved in badminton publicity speaking as well?

Give him free super vip seats* for next SO!

*e.g. right next to the televized court so ppl can see him on telly 24/7

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Jet Li's weapons of mass destruction

Quote Originally Posted by jug8man View Post
    That's good news. Anyway we can get him involved in badminton publicity speaking as well?

Give him free super vip seats* for next SO!

*e.g. right next to the televized court so ppl can see him on telly 24/7
    Better still, let his kung fu do the talking in the badminton court, using the badminton racket as his main weapon and the shuttlecocks as flying darts!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Need to get this off my chest ...

Uncle Loh,

I got this nagging question. I hope you wont be offended.

Are Singaporean men in general, p@@@y whipped aka 'kia boh'??

I been told because of family planning, career etc, families in Singapore really valued sons. As a result, Singaporean men are weak and thus are dominated by Singaporean women who are career minded, well educated, go getter and independent minded.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pemuda View Post
    Uncle Loh,

I got this nagging question. I hope you wont be offended.

Are Singaporean men in general, p@@@y whipped aka 'kia boh'??

I been told because of family planning, career etc, families in Singapore really valued sons. As a result, Singaporean men are weak and thus are dominated by Singaporean women who are career minded, well educated, go getter and independent minded.
    Okay, first and foremost, in general, the modern Singaporean family values both sons and daughters. I suppose Singapore's education system takes no bias against girls and they are given equal opportunity to develop to their full potential. Our system is largely based on meritocracy but the less endowed will also be taken care of according to their ability. Thus we have 'streaming' in our schools to ensure our student drop-out rate is reduced and the less academically inclined will still get a vocational education that will enable them to get a job after school.

As a result, in many fields women are as equally capable than their male counterparts. And they are catching up in salaries as well with more women as CEOs.

When Singapore first became independent about 50 years ago, family planning for a small family was necessary because of our very limited resources. So the government campaigned for "Two is enough". But when the campaign became too successful and our birth rate dropped below replacement level at a time when the Singapore economy was booming, the government had to change tack. We need to ensure we have enough young people to run the economy and to help support their parents when they retire. And we want to make sure there are enough women to be married to our men, although foreign wives are increasing in numbers, more than foreign husbands.

I suppose with better education, our men are more understanding to their wives' abilities, responsibilities and needs. In any case, unless you are a Muslim, the law permits only one man to one wife at any one time. Even for our modern Muslim girls, they prefer not to share their husbands.

Therefore I wouldn't say modern Singaporean men are weak or 'kia boh' (scared of their wife). They are more understanding of their wives and value them more, especially when both are working. They share in the household chores and in minding their children. They plan their holidays together. They are more aware of their responsibilities and at the same time they want to have more time together. In other words, they treat each other as equals. Thus most modern families prefer to have a small family unlike the days of their parents or grandparents.

It helps if the husband earns more than the wife, but in Singapore, don't be surprised if some wives earn more than their husbands because the former may be better qualified. But this does not mean that the husband will become 'kia boh'. For the highly educated woman, she may resort to marrying a foreign husband who may be as equally qualified. Conversely, the man with lower qualification may marry a foreign wive from a less developed country.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to a survey one third of Singapore girls prefer to marry foreigners. They find local men boring, childish and possesive. Permuda, what are you waiting for?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It helps if the husband earns more than the wife, but in Singapore, don't be surprised if some wives earn more than their husbands because the former may be better qualified. But this does not mean that the husband will become 'kia boh'. For the highly educated woman, she may resort to marrying a foreign husband who may be as equally qualified. Conversely, the man with lower qualification may marry a foreign wive from a less developed country.
    I dont mind to marry a rich and capable Singaporean woman ... but she must be pretty and slim (no thunder thighs .. please). She can go to work and I be the house husband. It will be just perfect for me, watch cartoons and play PS3 all day.

I need a sugarmummy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont mind to marry a rich and capable Singaporean woman ... but she must be pretty and slim (no thunder thighs .. please). She can go to work and I be the house husband. It will be just perfect for me, watch cartoons and play PS3 all day.

I need a sugarmummy.
    more like 'kia ang', i mean the wife if her 'ang' plays PS3 all day...you know violent games every day might be applied to the wife. specially if the 'boh' bosses around every so often like mother superior.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need a sugarmummy.
    You will be a much sought-after candidate. Come-lah!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    According to a survey one third of Singapore girls prefer to marry foreigners. They find local men boring, childish and possesive. Permuda, what are you waiting for?
    Please make a reference to the survey source to support your argument.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is not an argument but a simple piece of news from Singapore's Straits Times. I am sure you read the daily Straits Times. This was taken from the Straits Times internet portal dated December 1, 2009.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If superstar Gong Li chose to marry a Singapore man, surely your above negative description of the Singapore male can't hold much water!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default PM visits Cuban institutes

The Straits Times
    Dec 2, 2009

Bilateral and research cooperation explored

By Chua Chin Hon

HAVANA (CUBA) - SINGAPORE is looking to expand bilateral cooperation and medical research ties with Cuba, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said as he began an official two-day visit here.

On Monday, he met the Caribbean island country's First Vice-President Jose Ramon Machado Ventura, and visited two leading institutes with links to Singapore in dengue and cancer research.

Earlier on Monday morning, Mr Lee also took part in a solemn wreath laying ceremony at the Jose Marti memorial, a star-shaped tower built in memory of Cuba's national hero.

After the ceremony, the Prime Minister called on Mr Machado at the Palace of the Revolution where they held talks on the global economic crisis, Singapore-Cuba relations, and possible areas of bilateral cooperation.

The Cuban leader expressed appreciation for Mr Lee's visit and said he hoped both countries would be able to expand their commercial relations. Bilateral trade between Singapore and Cuba currently stands at a modest level of only about US$5 million (S$6.9 million).

'There are possibilities. Perhaps there are more difficulties at this moment as we are all facing challenges from the international economic crisis,' said Mr Machado without giving more details about where bilateral trade could grow.

After the ceremony, PM Lee called on Mr Machado, the Vice-President of Cuba, at the Palace of the Revolution where they held talks of possible areas of bilateral cooperation. -- ST PHOTO: CAROLINE CHIA
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If superstar Gong Li chose to marry a Singapore man, surely your above negative description of the Singapore male can't hold much water!
    Loh, let us get this straight. This is not my own negative view of Singapore men. May I suggest others visit www.straitstimes.com now and go to the bottom to click story item 3. It is still there today. The reason why I don't quote the source is to save space and time and also to make you either to be more circumspect or be more free to express yourself. Apparently, you chose the latter.
    Today's Straits Times of Singapore also have news about many clients trying to get their money back after being cheated by a spa, returning Singaporeans from a European holiday being slapped with 7% GST even on a wrist watch one was wearing on his wrist, prime office rents falling by 53% from a year ago, and opposition claiming the ruling PAP part will have an unfair advantage by changing the rules to introduce a "cooling-off" day before polling day.
    To have a better view about Singapore from the Singapore side, viewers are encouraged to log into www.straitstimes.com.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Singapore Zoo welcomes baby dragon apore

The Straits Times
    Dec 1, 2009

THE Singapore Zoo welcomed its newest addition to the Komodo dragon family on Tuesday.

Singapore's first komodo dragon in 34 years was born to Bima and Yoko on Nov 15. The birth comes after one and a half years of courtship by father Bima, as female komodo dragons have been known to be hostile during the early phases of courtship.

Said Mr Biswajit Guha, Assistant Director Zoology, Singapore Zoo: 'The hatching of the Komodo dragon is one of the most significant moments for us at the Singapore Zoo.

'We have been planning for this momentous day over the last seven months... all the planning in the world cannot really prepare us for the tremendous sense of elation and wonder at seeing this 40-cm long baby resting beside its empty egg-shell in the incubator.'

The Singapore Zoo is the first zoo in Asia, out of the Komodo Dragon's native home of Indonesia, that has successfully managed to breed this reptile.

Considered as one of Indonesia's national treasures, komodo dragons can only be given away by the President. Currently there are three Komodo dragons, including the hatchling, at the Singapore Zoo's Reptile Garden.

ABOUT KOMODO DRAGONS

KOMODO Dragon, the world's largest lizard, inhabits the rugged terrain of the Indonesian island of Komodo, Rinca and Flores.

They are among the most intelligent lizards with a keen sense of smell, which enables them to detect dead animals 8.5km away upwind.

In the wild, Komodo dragons prey on animals as large as deer, feral ponies and buffalo and are also known to be cannibalistic as adult dragons may prey on young, old and sickly dragons.

With a very efficient digestive system, komodo dragons excrete only 8-13 per cent of the amount they eat and this means they do not need to eat often.

Cooperative efforts between zoos and wildlife parks have helped boost the number of komodo dragons.

According to the IUCN Red List, komodo dragons are vulnerable to extinction.

The Singapore Zoo welcomed its newest addition to the Komodo dragon family on Tuesday. -- PHOTO SOURCE: WILDLIFE RESERVES SINGAPORE
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loh, let us get this straight. This is not my own negative view of Singapore men. May I suggest others visit www.straitstimes.com now and go to the bottom to click story item 3. It is still there today. The reason why I don't quote the source is to save space and time and also to make you either to be more circumspect or be more free to express yourself. Apparently, you chose the latter.
    I tried but I still couldn't find. And it is more time wasting as a result. Maybe you should reproduce here instead for all to see.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today's Straits Times of Singapore also have news about many clients trying to get their money back after being cheated by a spa, returning Singaporeans from a European holiday being slapped with 7% GST even on a wrist watch one was wearing on his wrist, prime office rents falling by 53% from a year ago, and opposition claiming the ruling PAP part will have an unfair advantage by changing the rules to introduce a "cooling-off" day before polling day.
    To have a better view about Singapore from the Singapore side, viewers are encouraged to log into www.straitstimes.com.
    I tried but I still couldn't find. And it is more time wasting as a result. Maybe you should reproduce here instead for all to see.
    Don't be so lazy, try again www.straitstimes.com, then go down the page on the left side and look at the column "Most Popular", under "Stories", item 3 "More locals dating foreigners".
    Perhaps others can reproduce the article, but it would be more balanced for Loh to reproduce it here.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the same column under "Most Popular", "Stories" the same article about "Zoo welcomes baby dragon" also appears in item 6. If you can see item 6 about the baby dragon, an article you reproduced with a big splash above, surely there must be an item 3. I hope it is not selective "Singapore Also Can".