User Tag List

Page 4 of 508 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 54 104 504 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Marina Barrage wins US Green Award

Yes it is on water again and the PUB scored yet another accolade for its engineering work on water storage and conservation. A full description on how the Marina Bay, now turning into a fantastic place for amusement and recreation and around which are located such icons as the Esplanade Theatres on the Bay, the Merlion, Fullerton Hotel, the Marina Bay Sands Integrated Resorts, Singapore Flyer, Floating Platform,etc, can be found in these links:

http://www.pub.gov.sg/Marina/Pages/default.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marina_Barrage

The Straits Times
    May 8 2009

The Marina Barrage has received the top prize at a competition organised by the American Academy of Environmental Engineers.

The site, opened in November last year, beat 33 other entries for the Superior Achievement Award which was conferred on Wednesday in Washington DC.

The award honours the best in environmental engineering practices, innovation and economic efficiency.

The Barrage, which has already won two other international awards, was chosen because it provided " a sustainable urban water solution for all", said academy's president Debra Reinhart.

It is only the second project outside the United States to win the award in the last decade.

The Barrage, built to dam the Marina Channel, resulted in the creation of the Marina Reservoir - Singapore's 15th reservoir and the first in the downtown district.

It also controls flooding in nearby low-lying areas such as Chinatown and Little India.

Since last month, seawater has not been allowed into the reservoir, so that the water can be gradually desalted by dilution from rainwater. Once the desalting process is completed in about a year, the water will be ready to be processed into drinking water.
    Attached Images Attached Images                          
    Last edited by Loh; 05-12-2009 at 10:13 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Marina Barrage wins top award

Another report from the Straits Times, May 7 2008

By Diana Othman

MARINA Barrage clinched the top award in a prestigious US environmental engineering competition, beating 33 other entries.

Singapore's latest waterfront icon, spanning the southern end of the Marina channel, took the Superior Achievement Award - the highest honour of the competition for the best project entry - at the American Academy of Environmental Engineers (AAEE)'s Excellence in Environmental Engineering competition.

It is the second project outside the US to have won the award in the last decade.

The competition is widely considered to be the most prestigious of professional, peer-recognition awards focused exclusively on the field with award defining the best in environmental engineering practices, such as innovation and economic efficiency.

Conceptualised and managed by PUB, the Barrage is more than a regular dam in that it fulfills three purposes:

- It boosts Singapore's water supply by being the 15th reservoir here and the first reservoir in the city centre.

- It acts as a tidal barrier to alleviate flooding in the low-lying parts of the city such as Chinatown and Little India.

-It is also set to become the city's latest lifestyle attraction with water activities and river cruises.

Other awards garnered by the Barrage in the last two years include the Grand Conceptor award at the American Council of Engineering Companies of Massachusetts' 2009 Engineering Excellence Awards and the Asean Outstanding Engineering Achievement Award.

'The Marina Barrage is a showcase of urban water sustainability. By going beyond water supply and flood control... it demonstrates how an urban water solution can be effectively utilised to meet water needs, and at the same time, enhance the living environment for a better quality of life,' said Mr Yap Kheng Guan, PUB's Director of 3P Network and Project Director of Marina Barrage, who received the award on behalf of PUB at an award presentation luncheon in Washington DC on Wednesday.

'This is important, as cities continue to grow and urbanise, they will require water solutions that can be sustained for generations to come.'
    Last edited by Loh; 05-12-2009 at 10:25 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Singapore very 'Transparent'...

Yes, I can see through everything.

I am telling a ‘Good side’ of Singapore.

I worked in Singapore from 1991-1993 as Analysis/Programmer. Occasionally from year 1993 to 2000 while still in Malaysia, I was contracted to do some programming job there due to cheaper labor cost. One of the clients is PWD (Public Works Department of S'pore). They are converting part of their sub-systems to a newer technology. The system I am working on is their ‘Tendering Processing Systems’. Together with me there are a few analysis-cum-programmers involved in this project. We have programmers each from these countries: India, China, Singapore and me Malaysia. Their entire Tender big or small (PWD related projects) will be posted to their Notice board and also to Internet (HTML only). Successful bidders will be notified and pasted to the same notice board. I can see many sub-contractors, drivers, Ali and Ah Kow will gathered and get contacts from the successful bidders. I saw Ah Pak in slipper joining the queue to get a piece of the cake.

Only recently I know that this is called ‘Transparent’. Hope our counterpart 'CAN' follow this without delay.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Singapore Day- Global Networking with overseas Singaporeans

It used to be a 'no-no' for Singaporeans to work overseas since it means uprooting from one's comfort zone at home and having almost to start all over again in a foreign environment.

But in order to survive and prosper, years ago the government has encouraged those who are able to start a "foreign" wing to expand their business overseas and students went to foreign universities in greater numbers. This has helped Singapore to grow and produce its own 'multinational companies'. So now Singapore is very much engaged in the globalisation process and our young people are more willing to face challenges overseas.

In order to connect Singaporeans overseas, our government has started some years ago, a "Singapore Day" in countries where Singaporeans are found in large numbers to enable them to meet and reminisce about Singapore life. The last one was held in Melbourne, Australia.

This year, Singapore Day returned to London and it seems many Singaporeans living, studying and working in Europe, not necessarily just UK, made it a point to assemble there.

Ms Stefanie Koh reported her impressions in the Straits Times, April 30, 2009 as follows:

Singapore fest in London made her Day, keep it going, please

"I refer to Sunday's report, "Singapore Day in London draws the crowds". Singapore Day 2009 in London was well-planned, thoughtful and oh so Singaporean. The gorgeous location at Hampton Court Palace, with beautiful weather we did not expect (the weather forecast predicted rain), made the day enjoyable anad memorable.

We were among 12,000 people who turned up, looking forward to chwee kway, roti prata, Hokkien mee, laksa and chicken rice. Yes, we can find some hawker fare in London in restaurants (unfortunately at restaurant prices), but nothing beats queueing up for food with fellow Singaporeans in a foreign land, and hearing "Mai tu liao' (Don't delay in Hokkien) and "Jialat (horrors), you think got enough when it's our turn or not?" at the same time.

I believe in speaking proper English. But Singlish is a part of me, so it was great to hear the mix and match of sentences formed with our various languages and dialects.

I told my colleagues from other countries working in London that I was looking forward to Singapore Day and what kind of event it would be, and they asked why such a day was not organized for them.

Kudos to everyone who put on such an awesome event. This is my list of what made the day memorably Singaporean:

* An Electronic Road Pricing (ERP ) gantry as the entrance;

* Listing the hawker names of the food;

* Balloons showing Ah Meng (our most popular late orang utan), Singa the courtesy lion, and all the signs prohibiting things like durians;

* Watching Dim Sum Dollies and Hossan Leong perform a hilarious History of Singapore, Sebastian Tan as Broadway Beng, and Taufik Batisah singing;

* Hearing Singaporeans speak Singlish;

* Being "boringly" civilized, queueing up in an orderly fashion and not making trouble;

* A goodie bag in the shape of a mooncake paper bag;

* Booths emphasising the importance of national service and showcasing our clean and green city, and;

* Water stations with a sign, "Thirsty or not?"

I hope we continue to have Singapore Day for overseas Singaporeans. I would love all overseas Singaporeans to be able to enjoy a day with friends from home in the city where they are living, studying or working.

And another letter from Mr Anand A. Vathiyar:

"I was at Singapore Day 2009 in London last Saturday and was thoroughly
    impressed with everything.

From the well-trained and well-informed volunteers and civil service folk, the efficient yet intimate layout of information at the tents and booths, and the sumptuous local fare on offer, to even entertainment that allowed gentle ribbing of the Government and our way of life.

The whole event was such a breath of fresh air that its deft, light touch impressed me thoroughly. I was left wondering if the Singapore Tourism Board was behind it, but - surprise, surprise - I found out it was, in fact, an initiative of the Prime Minister's Office (PMO). Perhaps the PMO and Singapore Day organisers can share their success story with other government agencies so local events can be more audience-relevant, like Singapore Day 2009, which ws aa day to remember. Well done to all involved."
    Last edited by Loh; 05-13-2009 at 05:14 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All nice pics there ! thanks, uncle loh. I din know about Singapore day.

I can see the love blossom. Most pictures had 'i love sg' .. ~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you do a search of the phrase "maid abuse" in Google (I did it via an anonymous proxy so that Google does not bias the search towards Singapore) you will find that the 6 of the top 8 results are links to articles about maid abuse in Singapore. Why do a small but significant number of Singaporeans treat their maids this way?

Maids are paid about $300 per month yet some Singaporeans have high expectations of them - some even expect the maid not to make mistakes and punish them severely when they do. How would you like to be treated if you're paid $300 a month to do a job? Lets put it this way, there are people who make millions and get away with mistakes simply by calling them 'honest mistakes' or blaming others for their mistakes. I've heard of people deducting their maid's pay when the maid breaks something....you have to remember how painful it is for the maid when you deduct her pay ...she gets only $300 a month. Others are very suspicious of their maids after reading those dramatised juicy stories on the New Paper about maids bringing men to the house or maids having boy friends outside. For this reason many still refuse to give their maids one day off per week. I'm sure many of these stories are true because maids are also human beings - they can go astray just as married men, married women and teenagers go and do things they are not suppose to do....but how many of you lock up your husbands, wives and teenage children for the same reasons. You can't just jail people in your house because you think they might do something wrong. However, all these can be considered minor compared with the cases of maid abuse we read about so frequently in the newspapers....

Why are there so many maid abuse cases in Singapore??? I had coffeeshop discussions with a number of people and these were the reasons cited....

1. High Levels of Stress. I believe we have the highest number of massage chairs sold per capita in the world ....hmm we frequently rank the highest in surveys on stress levels. There are not too many outlets for people's frustrations and stress...hey they can't just go out on the streets to protest and let go. So things can happen when they get home all stressed up and find that their maid has broken something at home ....they might just explode.

2. High Expectations. Some people expect their maids who are paid $300 to operate at the same level of efficiency as themselves (who are paid $8k?). They become terribly disappointed and upset when their maids does something they think is 'stupid'...

3. High Levy. The govt takes a chunk (40%?) of what is paid to hire a maid. Our govt takes in one month for each maid what the Malaysian govt takes in one year as maid levy...and they don't have maid levy in Hong Kong. What the maid levy does is to accentuate the expectations gap - the employer pays a total of $600...but gets an inexperienced maid who is paid $300. This gap causes many problems.

4. Lack of Respect for Human Rights. We are taught to read and count in school...but how many have been taught what human rights are? I remember moral education in my day was about Confucian ethics - respect leaders, respect elders...nothing about human rights. Given that human rights seems a 'dirty phrase' and respect for human rights seen as religious fanaticism in Singapore, it is not inconceivable a small number people have no clue that people coming from 3rd world who are less educated and poorer than us have basic rights as human beings....they may not hit another Singaporeans but they think nothing of physically punishing their maids.

Our maids earn the lowest pay in the world and suffer from high cases of abuse....what does that say about Singapore as a society?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dato Asbullah View Post
    If you do a search of the phrase "maid abuse" in Google (I did it via an anonymous proxy so that Google does not bias the search towards Singapore) you will find that the 6 of the top 8 results are links to articles about maid abuse in Singapore. Why do a small but significant number of Singaporeans treat their maids this way?

Maids are paid about $300 per month yet some Singaporeans have high expectations of them - some even expect the maid not to make mistakes and punish them severely when they do. How would you like to be treated if you're paid $300 a month to do a job? Lets put it this way, there are people who make millions and get away with mistakes simply by calling them 'honest mistakes' or blaming others for their mistakes. I've heard of people deducting their maid's pay when the maid breaks something....you have to remember how painful it is for the maid when you deduct her pay ...she gets only $300 a month. Others are very suspicious of their maids after reading those dramatised juicy stories on the New Paper about maids bringing men to the house or maids having boy friends outside. For this reason many still refuse to give their maids one day off per week. I'm sure many of these stories are true because maids are also human beings - they can go astray just as married men, married women and teenagers go and do things they are not suppose to do....but how many of you lock up your husbands, wives and teenage children for the same reasons. You can't just jail people in your house because you think they might do something wrong. However, all these can be considered minor compared with the cases of maid abuse we read about so frequently in the newspapers....

Why are there so many maid abuse cases in Singapore??? I had coffeeshop discussions with a number of people and these were the reasons cited....

1. High Levels of Stress. I believe we have the highest number of massage chairs sold per capita in the world ....hmm we frequently rank the highest in surveys on stress levels. There are not too many outlets for people's frustrations and stress...hey they can't just go out on the streets to protest and let go. So things can happen when they get home all stressed up and find that their maid has broken something at home ....they might just explode.

2. High Expectations. Some people expect their maids who are paid $300 to operate at the same level of efficiency as themselves (who are paid $8k?). They become terribly disappointed and upset when their maids does something they think is 'stupid'...

3. High Levy. The govt takes a chunk (40%?) of what is paid to hire a maid. Our govt takes in one month for each maid what the Malaysian govt takes in one year as maid levy...and they don't have maid levy in Hong Kong. What the maid levy does is to accentuate the expectations gap - the employer pays a total of $600...but gets an inexperienced maid who is paid $300. This gap causes many problems.

4. Lack of Respect for Human Rights. We are taught to read and count in school...but how many have been taught what human rights are? I remember moral education in my day was about Confucian ethics - respect leaders, respect elders...nothing about human rights. Given that human rights seems a 'dirty phrase' and respect for human rights seen as religious fanaticism in Singapore, it is not inconceivable a small number people have no clue that people coming from 3rd world who are less educated and poorer than us have basic rights as human beings....they may not hit another Singaporeans but they think nothing of physically punishing their maids.

Our maids earn the lowest pay in the world and suffer from high cases of abuse....what does that say about Singapore as a society?

I'm afraid you are in the wrong thread and I hope the mods can create a new thread for you for general discussion.

Mods please take note.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loh, once you start a thread you are sort of openning a window to let in an exchange of different points of view. But you cannot control what comes through that window. The real test is what the readers think after they read enough input to this thread. I believe 'Singapore Also Can' can come out strong, but it must also accept the bad, the not so good and the good that is said about it. I think Singapore will come out stronger if it can accept criticism, bricks and bats and also all that is good about Singapore. Don't you think this is better than one person's perspective?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    Loh, once you start a thread you are sort of openning a window to let in an exchange of different points of view. But you cannot control what comes through that window. The real test is what the readers think after they read enough input to this thread. I believe 'Singapore Also Can' can come out strong, but it must also accept the bad, the not so good and the good that is said about it. I think Singapore will come out stronger if it can accept criticism, bricks and bats and also all that is good about Singapore. Don't you think this is better than one person's perspective?
    The purpose of my thread has been stated as:

"So I would like to start this section dedicated to Singapore's past, present and future achievements in all fields of human endeavour, whether in economics, social development, politics, education, sports, the arts, design, medicine, science, law, engineering, IT, media, Guinness World Records, etc, etc."

This thread is not about all things on Singapore, certainly not negative topics like "abused maids" which must be of interest to and affect many other countries as well.

I do not have all the resources to discuss this problem, to refute the facts or otherwise of an opinion by an anonymous person just plucked out from the internet. Otherwise there will be no end to it.

So it is more appropriate for Dato to discuss this problem of "Abused Maids" under a separate thread so that we can have opinions from a wider spectrum of our BC membership.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But in 'all fields of human endeavour' lies human beings, from emperors to pariahs. Foreign domestic workers free up many citizens so they can contribute more to the economy. Take foreign domestic workers away both the economies of Singapore and Hong Kong will collapse. So will the exporting countries of these workers be similarly affected. In a way these workers are 'partners' (or unsung heroes) in a sphere of prosperity that will play a very significant role in the future of Singapore, Hong Kong, and this region.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    But in 'all fields of human endeavour' lies human beings, from emperors to pariahs. Foreign domestic workers free up many citizens so they can contribute more to the economy. Take foreign domestic workers away both the economies of Singapore and Hong Kong will collapse. So will the exporting countries of these workers be similarly affected. In a way these workers are 'partners' (or unsung heroes) in a sphere of prosperity that will play a very significant role in the future of Singapore, Hong Kong, and this region.
    I understand what you mean and I respect your views on this subject. However as I've stated it is not my intention to discuss all and sundry in this thread. For such a wide topic as "Abused Maids" that affects so many countries including Hong Kong and Malaysia, I think it is fair that others give their opinions as well and this is best done in a separate thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is understood now. Thanks Uncle Loh for highlighted my comment to the Moderator.

This thread is totally different with 'Malaysia Boleh Spirits' thread, where has been banned by Kwun due to more and more politic talks inside. But, i find it it would be better if the thread is remain for us, at least, one of a platform to get top know the things happened around Malaysia whether in the past or present, GOOD or BAD things, POSITIVE and NEGATIVE critics.....

I am truly sad about 'Singapore Also Can' since only great achievements that are allowed to be discussed. Other than that, all swept under the carpet, especially under Uncle Loh house's carpet.

I salute Uncle Loh for so patriotic and love his own country, Singapore.

Singapore Boleh!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Asian Youth Games 2009

Singapore was awarded the honour of hosting the first Asian Youth Games 2009 from June 29, 2009 to July 7, 2009 by the Olympic Council of Asia. The Opening Ceremony will be held in the evening at the Singapore Indoor Stadium on June 29 and I just bought a ticket to witness the event.

Information extracted from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_As...#Games_Village

and

http://www.adrenaline.sg/AYG2009/Homepage.aspx

"The plan for the Asian Youth Games was part of Singapore’s bid to stage the 2010 Summer Youth Olympics (YOG). The purpose is to allow youths to use the chance to benchmark their performances against youth teams from Asian nations. The Games will also provide Singapore with an opportunity to test organisational and logistical capabilities in advance of the 2010 YOG.

The Singapore Asian Youth Games 2009 will see an estimated 1300 athletes aged between 14 and 17 from 45 countries competing in more than 80 sporting events.

Venue and Sports

1. Toa Payoh Swimming Complex Aquatics (Diving)
    2. Singapore Sports School Aquatics (Swimming)
    3. Bishan Stadium Athletics (Football)
    4. Siloso Beach Beach (Volleyball)
    5. Anglican High School (3-on-3 Basketball)
    6. National Sailing Centre (Sailing)
    7. Toa Payoh Sports Hall (Table Tennis)
    8. Downtown East (Bowling)
    9. SAFRA Yishun (Shooting)

Games Village

NTUC Downtown East originally was the planned Games Village for athletes and officials. However, a recent decision was made to move the Games Village to central Singapore at Swissotel The Stamford.

Mascot

Frasia, which means Friends of Asia, is the name of the official mascot for the 1st Asian Youth Games. The mascot embodies the values and spirit of the Asian Youth Games

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dato Asbullah View Post

1. High Levels of Stress.

2. High Expectations.

3. High Levy.

4. Lack of Respect for Human Rights.

thank you for your sharing...my maid comes from indonesia...she had worked in singapore for 4 years before coming to work in hong kong

she told me that her master in Singapore was very very very very cruel to her ...from her description, i really couldn't believe that such thing could have been happened in this world!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post

it is perhaps time that we remember what Singapore has achieved to gain world, regional and national recognition so as to cheer us on and to remind us that Singapore also can do better in the future to lift us up, to take pride in what we have achieved and to continue to do the best we can.

So I would like to start this section dedicated to Singapore's past, present and future achievements in all fields of human endeavour, whether in economics, social development, politics, education, sports, the arts, design, medicine, science, law, engineering, IT, media, Guinness World Records, etc, etc.

Singapore Also Can
    To all and particularly my respected Uncle Loh and Moderators with due respect:

firstly, i think we need to recognize and ACCEPT that there are positive AND negative sides of things that are happening in a country.

secondly, we cannot just bury our head in the sand and merely keep on protraying a one-sided blooming picture to the world...it's like political indoctrination...thread on political indoctrination should be banned from this forum

if we accept that the world contains angel and evil, why can't we accept that the angel and evil are in Utopia and in Hong Kong or actually everywhere.

Thus: "Utopia also can...Utopia also can go wrong" will certainly provide a balanced view to the people in this world.

To conclude,
    1) if uncle Loh insisted that only positive things can be said here, he had to pay an advertising fee for political indoctrination. Then he has exclusive right to sell a positive utopia.

2) If not, the other should be entitled to post their opinions without personal attacks.

3)I respect it very much if the Moderator have decided to close the thread because of politics and potect other minors from getting indoctrinated .

thanks

Zard.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Smile Keep Cool, Please

Loh waves the Singapore flag with pride.
    He has also been doing it for a long time.
    That isn't an attempt at political indoctrination.
    That is an attempt to share his wealth of information.

Closing this thread will only shut out supporting or opposing views.
    If you have counterpoints to Loh's points, please share it here.

Of course, it pays to use sound reasoning.
    Abuse and vitriolic views hardly win arguments.

This is a free forum set up by a generous and sagacious badminton fan.
    Posted opinions on any issue from any perspective are always welcome --
    -- provided that the language is English, the opinion is sane, the tone is civil and the content's core is NOT political, religious or otherwise inflammatory in nature.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

By the way, it's a shame that the Asian Youth Games has no badminton!
    Isn't Asia the continent where badminton is at its most popular?

Page 4 of 508 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 54 104 504 ... LastLast