On a scale of one to ten, how far could you actually get without going into a club?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by AznAndrew, May 6, 2009.

1. AznAndrew

AznAndrew Regular Member

...or getting a coach?

A few friends and i have never gone into club, but i'd say we're all pretty good. Some more than others of course...

Though, we've also played a friend who has been in club for 6 years, and we can beat him (Though, he hasn't been in club for 3 years now, since he wanted a break :p)

2. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    all depends on what "pretty good" actually is lol
    to you it may be yeah we are pretty good. to some more experienced people or club players it mightbe very different.

I played for 1 year without going to a club or anything just playing at school. When i got to a club it was a totally different experience. Then as i started with a basic coach everything just went upwards.

3. TIMO1

TIMO1 Regular Member

clubs are awesome. get to see lots of interesting players with different styles and different levels of play too. 2 years of not playing i was rusty as. Joined a club and now concentrating on getting speed and power up.

Like bradymaster said... everything goes upwards.

definitely join a club!

4. RacketlonCanada

RacketlonCanada Regular Member

Racketlon.ca webmaster
    You will hit a wall if you never join a club that focuses on training or if you only play the same players all the time.

Even better is to get a private coach, but this is pretty expensive.

5. lagigolo

lagigolo Regular Member

Would thoroughly recommend a club also. There is always someone better than you and its nice to play against these sort of people but in a more friendly way than getting drawn against them in a competition. It definitely improves your game and even when i am sitting out i know i can look up and watch some good badminton too.

With a club you know its there every week, your not tied to ringing around and confirming the games on.

Obviously depends what club you join, but every club i have ever played at i feel i have progressed in my game someway and have joined better clubs.

Due to have some training Saturday, which i am really looking forward too as none of my clubs offer any, so i am sure nearly everything i am doing is wrong in some way.

Most clubs allow guests, so go visit a view, get some good games in and then make a decision.

6. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

Lagigolo, I see you're in Hants. I used to live in Hampshire before moving away in 1997. Played in Chandlers Ford Club, BTC, Petters etc. Used to have coaching with the great Eddie Peckham in Redbridge school.

7. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

I don't really think you could get to a very competitive level without a club or coach. You could probably get to the point where you could beat a lot of club players. But that depends on whether it's a casual club or not...

If you don't have anyone to point out what you're doing right and what you're doing wrong you could develop some bad habits, and that will just make things difficult further down the track (it's happened to me more than once... finding out I've been practicing something the wrong way for years...). It's definitely worth getting into a club early on :).

As far as one to ten, I'm not really sure. As I don't know what ten means...

8. lagigolo

lagigolo Regular Member

Plus you might get the benefits of somebody who can string rackets etc. More information on tournaments, cups and some discounts too.

@coachgary, that is not too far from me

#8 lagigolo, May 7, 2009
    Last edited: May 7, 2009
  9. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    I've gotten better without getting through coaching and could hold my own against other players, but I lack the sort of consistency they have due to me not getting enough exposure to the game.

10. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

I refute this. M coach plays A flight. He spent $200 for one week of training, got bored, and just played around for 2 years. he improved by himself by playing against those better than him, and practicing by himself. He reached A flight in all disciplines he applies to (MS,MD,MX), and A flight includes some lower national people where i live.

11. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    WTF $200 WAT KIND OF BLOODY TRAINING??????? I hope thats like not equvilent to US or AU dollars :S

My club it costs $10 per session and club runs 3 times a week.
    Most places around here at the most would cost $15 per 2 - 3 hours training session with coaching.
    But i have just got my sponsorship back through my club so training for me is free now. I have to earn back my Yang Yang sponsorship through competition results. But hopefully within the coming months the tournaments i compete in, i should find those results. :D

12. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

there are usually rare exceptions

wow $15 usd per hr? makes me feel like I'm getting ripped coaches at clubs I see $35-40 minimum/hr

#12 ionoo, May 7, 2009
    Last edited: May 7, 2009
  13. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    The points of going to clubs are good because you will always find people at your level, and higher level, or below your levels. That's mean you do not waste any trips. However, If you play around, as in like recreation, or open gym from here and there. You'll get lesser chance to see that opportunity. As in you won't able to find higher level than you, or at least people who able to fix your mistake (bad habit).
    However, bottom line is if you have the access to play badminton 3 days a week at least, your skill will always improving. That's depend on your opponent (at least same level).
    And this is just extra information I think. If you keep playing with lower level than you are, you will never improve, and sometime you will drag your skill down. Not technique or style, but your accuracy and the aggressive game play. Because you tend to be lazy with easy game. And time stack up with those games, it will affects you. More mistakes later.
    Shooo... that's me, I only able to play once a week and at a junior college. And it's like just go in there hit around. I have a partner. But I don't play single. And even if I do, he can't beat me, he doesn't know how to play single.

14. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    if 10 was world #1, then u could get to 0.5 - maybe 2 if you have background in squash or other racquets sports or if u have pure talent.

for reference id think that the top ranked player in canada would be a 6, and national level age group u19 players would be approx 4.5

#14 t3tsubo, May 9, 2009
    Last edited: May 9, 2009
  15. Azianhero

Azianhero Regular Member

well that depends on how many times you play ur friend that goes to club for 3 years. If you play your friend repetitively, you'll get used to his style and then you can counter it against him. Like everyone said above, try playing someone thats better than your club friend, see what happens. If you win then great then you guys are good, but if u don't do that well, its okay at least u played a good game and get experience from it.

16. dennis913

dennis913 Regular Member

Student
    Since you're in Canada, i think you're familiar with Ofsaa? the ontario federation of school's athletic association?

The finals for Ofsaa took place not too long ago, and my 2 friends who never been in a club or took training won B flight and another took 5th in A for doubles. Some might say it was a "soft" or easier tournement because all the ranked players went nationals.