Racket adjustments with grip and string

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by jpazn23, May 8, 2009.

1. jpazn23

jpazn23 Regular Member

Student
    Hi, Guys

I was planning on buying either a head-light or head-heavy racket and modifying it with grip and different string tensions in order to customize it into my perfect badminton racket:D. I was wondering if a head-heavy racket with over grip will negate the head-heavniess of the racket and leave me with a heavy balanced racket or a smashing weapon that is easier to swing? Also with a head-light racket will a lower string tension compensate for its smashing power or leave me with a light racket that hits like a balanced one. If this is making any sense to you please respond.:eek: Thx

2. phamd124

phamd124 Regular Member

Student
    A grip and strings wont make THAT much difference to your racket if it's head heavy however, if it's head light and you add too much of an over grip then you might not even feel the head. :p

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

There's no generic answer for your questions, as everyone's "feeling" can be different. In theory, if your racket is just a little bit toward head light or heavy end, then changing grips might bring it toward more balance. However, the size of the grip might be another problem u need to deal with then.

Regarding the string tension, that's even more complicated. Head heaviess, shaft stiffness, etc all can contribute to the power generation, and more important, your own skill. Therefore, I will say start with something safe, i.e. BG65@ 22 or 23lb, then, based on your own feedback, consider either reduce or add more tension next time.

4. jpazn23

jpazn23 Regular Member

Student
    Thx, guys. I was asking because I'm planning on buying a NS500 or NS800 and have heard that since it's headlight I'm going to lose alot of smashing power. I currently play with a Yonex basic series and I think its 1U- and balanced; I can deliver a decent smash though. I am a bit more of a defensive player, but since I play singles I want to be able to smash, thats the thing Im worried about.

5. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

your smash should improve a bit actually. And whoever says that using a Headlight racket makes you lose power.... eh, i dont believe it. I can hit hard with a Nanospeed 9000 compared with an AT 500.

6. alex_fung1980

alex_fung1980 Regular Member

Nil
    Hi, I have many head heavy racket such as AT700 (balance-point-BP is 305mm), AT900t(BP is 298mm), 3pcs 1st gen Ti-10(BP is 295mm, 290mm & 284mm respectively ), 1 pc 2nd gen Ti-10 (BP is 290mm), Cab 21 (BP is 284mm) n Cab 30MS (BP is 290mm). The BP are measured under unstrung & with the original grip condition. Most of my racket are G4 size except AT900t (G5). However, I think the feeling is not good especially when I smash. So I packed one thick grip and one thin grip. So when I hold the handle, it really thick, just like holding a tennis racket. But I think the feeling for hitting the shuttle is quite good, especially for smashing.
    However, the problem arises, the balance point is affected. The cab 21 are affected deeply. Its BP is only 255mm. Even my AT700 is just 275mm. The BP for other rackets are in average 260mm-265mm. So I think the overgrip will affect rackets balance point and change its attributes.
    For the string tention, I think it affect little. It is because I use 3 different tention for my 3 pcs 1 gen Ti-10. They all used BG66. One is 24lbs, one is 22lbs, one is 20lbs. But the different is only 1-2mm only. So I think if you want to modify a head light racket to head balance, I think you are better to use lead tape on the frame so as to change its attribute.

7. jpazn23

jpazn23 Regular Member

Student
    Thanks fot the insight. When you say change its attributes do you mean that the racket's feel is different or hitting power? What I mean is does the overgrip with your AT700 still smash like an AT700 or more of a balanced racket?

Anyways I'm leaning towards a head light racket with alot of power. Any recomendations on such as that around 80 USD besides the NS800 or NS500? If not I will probably buy the NS800

8. hyper_power111

hyper_power111 Regular Member

I think you can try MP series, some of the models are not bad such as MP29 lite.

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If you can use a basic racket to general decent power, than almost any rackets you upgraded to will be "light" for you. The key for the stroke is the right technique / timing + fast enough swing. Yes, balance is a factor, only when the 1st few factors can be achieved.

10. chewablemorphin

chewablemorphin Regular Member

Lifeguard, and a little bit of autobody
    Yes adding overgrips, can make a headheavy racket feel lighter, i do it all the time. You might have to tinker with it a little bit, but it's all about the leverage.

11. jpazn23

jpazn23 Regular Member

Student
    thx, but I subconsciously tend to stay away from the Mp series.I have funny...well kind of a sad story with a MP 100. I play on a high school team and I had a league game one day. I borrowed my friends AT150 and lost the first set 26-28. My coach noticed that I couldnt control the racket that well. So she lent me her MP 100. I lost miserably. I dont blame the racket I just couldnt used to the racket and I guess that my skills wasnt high enough for me to use it right. But I will consider the Mp 29 lite.

Also for racket recomendations, i dont mind non-yonex brands. I just dont have access to alot of them and I am reluctent to buy one from the internet.

12. phamd124

phamd124 Regular Member

Student
    I can vouch for the MP29 lite (both the blue and the purple), MP45, MP66, and MP99 if you want to stay away from the MP100 but that's probably my favorite of the MP series. These are even-balance for the changes you want. AT rackets can be used to make more head heavy for a power beast or a just a strong player while NS for strong but fast playing doubles.

13. pchospital

pchospital Regular Member

PC servcing and DIY PC
    "Heavy" head or "light" head

It depends what u are used to. What racket are u using now
    Are u a strong fellow?:cool:
    If yes, a heavy head will seem good:crying:

14. jpazn23

jpazn23 Regular Member

Student
    Thanks guys for your advice.

Right now I am using Yonex B560 basic series. It is a 1U-, even balance, and stiff. I think I'm pretty skinny ...well I'm not anorexic. :p I can generate enough power. I played with an AT150 before and was perfect in terms of power, but I had no control over the thing. I'm looking for a fast and light all around/defensive racket for singles with great control and power. I prefer control. That's why I'm researching on grip and string tension adjustments for my ideal racket. *sigh* I'm done. :D

15. phamd124

phamd124 Regular Member

Student
    Maybe you should go with an Even-balance racket. If you're interested in the Yonex brand, stick with the ArcSaber series or the Muscle Power.

16. babytaru

babytaru Regular Member

Student
    BG66 tension 26 is what i am aiming to get next time after i get stronger.Maybe i will then get a heavy racket