info on Balboa Park, San Diego

Discussion in 'USA West' started by kwun, Sep 12, 2002.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    anybody played in Balboa Park in San Diego before? is the open hours info on their website accurate? how're the people there?

i am going to SD for a weekend and we are considering hitting some birdies down there.

cheers..

2. Californian

Californian Regular Member

I haven't been there for several years, but it was always a great place to play--plenty of courts, high ceiling, good floors, good background, free play (I'm assuming it's still in what they called the "Federal Building.") It was, and may still be, one of the great badminton centers of Southern California, hosting many fine tournaments. Also, the weather is mild, and there are many other things to do and see in the immediate area (SD Zoo is practically next door). Hope it's a good visit.

San Diego Badminton Supply would be worth going to. I've never been to it myself, but it sounds like a great shop.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    thanks Californian. i may drop by there this weekend if i get some free time. :)

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    just came back from Balboa Park. wow. what a nice place.

the hall has enough capacity to hold 15 badminton courts, they are divided into 3 alleys of 5 courts each. 10 were open for badminton today, the other 5 were used for table tennis. there are tons of space between and behind the courts. and the ceiling was high and the wall are dark as well. other than badminton, there are only lines for volleyball courts, so the court lines is very clear. the floor is in dustless and well waxed.

and it was free. i was surprised when the lady told me it was free. felt a little bit funny when i already had my wallet out and was counting the dollar bills. :)

we got there around 10am and the gym wasn't crowded, we got a court and managed to play non-stop till around 1pm. the level was rather beginner at first, and then we foudn this mixed pair and we played may be 10 games with them. i was told by some players there that the busiest times are tuesday and fridays. surprisingly saturday is supposed to be a slower day. perhaps teh weather is good and people choose to do some outdoor activities.

it was all very enjoyable.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    went to San Diego Badminton Supply as they are only a few miles from where i am staying.

they really knows where to put their shop. across the road is a nice long beach and the Pacific Ocean! anyway, the shop is a little house on the road side. Mike Walker the owner was there, a friendly guy. they have the full range of yonex rackets and little bit of Gosen and the last generation Carltons. a good selection of shoes and Yonex badminton shirts from both US and Japan.

they also sell Tennis and squash stuff.

we chattign with Mike a little bit but we didn't stay for that long as we had to do lunch and then go to play more badminton. we bought a couple of t-shirts and left.

went to Balboa park again. (i know, i know, we are here for a weekend only and we already played badminton twice, talking about being fanatics... )

yup. here was our schedule, wake up, shop, eat, play badminton, eat, sleep. good life! :D

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    sounds like almost heaven. Nice badminton courts for free are just unheard of.

7. iyang

iyang Regular Member

Hi Kwun

Very nice to meet you on Saturday :) I am the mix pair you were talking about in the post.. I have been reading this forum for a long long time .. just never posted anything :) what a small world... maybe when you come down to SD, we can go play again :)

8. RedDog

RedDog Regular Member

Graphic Designer
    Hello Kwun!!

Hey! What a small world Kwun, it's Nancy from SD Balboa park badminton Gym. We had a good time playing with you guys on Sat, can't believe you went back for more. I'm actually training with Mike Walker, and he will be playing in the US open Sr. event. Wanna go watch him play on Sunday? We're going for sure. If you guys are coming down again this coming weekend...or in the future, let us know, ok?:D

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    iyang! Nancy!

we had a good time too. janet and i really enjoyed playing with you guys.

we haven't decided on next week yet. we checked the cost of flying, $200+ is a bit too much to swallow. so if we decide to go to watch the USOpen, it will be driving.

now that we have badminton friends there, we will be definitely be visiting SD again. :)

it is a small world indeed. we went back on Sunday, and we bump into this guy who used to play in the bay area. we asked our way into the club session and played against a mixed pair there. got our butts kicked by them!

likewise, if you guys happens to drop by the bay area, send me a note. we can go play more badminton. :)

10. Californian

Californian Regular Member

I don't know if you were aware of this or found out from talking to him, but Mike Walker is probably the best all-around male player the US ever had, winning national titles in singles, doubles, and mixed. He was one of the players whose style I studied when I was first learning to play.

#10 Californian, Sep 20, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2002
  11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Cali, i know that he was a ex-Thomas Cup player. but being so young and ignorant that i am, i don't know much else about his history and skills. but perhaps next time....

12. RedDog

RedDog Regular Member

Graphic Designer
    Watching Mike to play is always an enjoyment. He has the most perfect strokes. Unlike most younger asian players, he focuses on placing the right shots rather then using force to win in a game.

Mike is as friendly as he's good in badminton, while training with Mike, he acts more like a friend then a badminton coach to me, and the most encouraging partner to play with (considering that I'm not even close to his level...), what a nice guy.:p

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    we went back to San Diego for Christmas this year to visit relatives and friends. Balboa Park was closed Christmas day so we went for some badminton on Friday and Saturday.

it was great fun, not too many ppl, we played for 3+ hours (non-stop!) on friday and then another 3-4 hours on saturday. i haven't played so much badminton lately and it was rather painful at the end of it. but pain was good. we had a lot of fun.