right handed opponent vs left handed opponent

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by texaspetey, May 9, 2009.

1. texaspetey

texaspetey New Member

Hi all,

I'm right handed and I play once a week with a left handed opponent. I seem to always lose - is there something I could do to improve or is this combo just as tricky for each player?!!

2. lagigolo

lagigolo Regular Member

I am left handed and i wouldn't have thought you are losing because your opponent is. Probably other factors.

I don't really change my tactics much i just look for the spaces and the shots which i think will either win me the point or give the tactical advantage.

Serve wise i am more aware where i am serving too, but again i am looking all around for any weakness in their position.

I do find the sliced drop works well for me against right handers as its one of them shots that seems to come quite naturally but i am sure they have the same options.

Again all straight smashes will be to each others forehand but again i often do some cross court smashes anyway, so you could chuck a few of them in to force the back hand.

3. phamd124

phamd124 Regular Member

Student
    You're just not used to it but there's no real difference in playing. You can play normally and like lagigolo does and hit to open areas. That's what I do! That's called playing smart.