Armortec or Nanospeed?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Aeries, May 9, 2009.

1. Aeries

Aeries Regular Member

I currently have an Armortec 150. It's my first and only racket as i only started playing in September, but i'm considering buying a newer, better model seeing as i've discovered my playing style. I'm sticking to Yonex by the way :p

I'm best at doing clears, smashes and lifts, and i've been told numerous times i have a strong arm. I'm not very confident in the subtler shots though like net and drop shots because i either put in too much or too little strength.

When on court i'm best playing from the back or as equals. Can't stand being at the front of the court because i'm tall for my age, so i have to bend down a little which i find uncomfortable and i'm a little slow at getting teeny net shots :)

My question is, should i stick to the armortec series because of my playing style? I really like the power and the head heavy effect, but the problem is, i find that armortec slows me down when i'm forced to stand at the front of the court in mixed doubles due to the traditional 'men at back, woman at the front' :/ I always try and play equals in mixed doubles but sometimes i can't.

So i'm considering nanospeed. Is that better for me? I heard it's fast and powerful, but it's head light and i'll lose some power from my hits. Plus, my friend has a wilson racket and they're pretty light. I've played with it before and to be honest, i didn't like it - felt really puny haha. But that's a wilson racket, not a yonex nanospeed.

2. phamd124

phamd124 Regular Member

Student
    If you really don't like net shots and drops, stick with the AT series. They're head heavy whilst the NS series are head light. It'll feel pretty similar to that Wilson racket that you tried out but if you really wanted, go into whatever clubs you play badminton at and ask a friend if you can use their racket. Their head light ones, of course. But even if you stick with the AT series, try to upgrade into a better one. Perhaps an AT500 or 700. The 700 is heavier in the head than the 500 but they're both light if you get the 4U version. Choice is up to you, my friend. Just don't get an AT900 yet. You haven't played that long yet and the investment isn't really worth it.

3. Aeries

Aeries Regular Member

Thanks Phamd124 :) I'll consider what you said. Actually, i did a bit more research, and i'm still interested in the armortec series (forgotten about nanospeeds now haha), but what about the arcsaber 9, the one specially designed for women? Or perhaps that's more for the experienced players? And is it more of the offensive or defensive racket?

4. phamd124

phamd124 Regular Member

Student
    The whole Arc series are even balance meaning they can be for both. However, the Arc10 is best for smashing whilst the Arc7 is best for defense. I still think the Armortec series would work the best for you and I was thinking that maybe the Cab series would too. They're both head heavy and good for smashing/driving/fast pace attacking. I suggest you wait out on the Arc series for now though. They're a bit more expensive than the AT500 and 700 and more in the top end area of Yonex. When you're sure you'll devote your time to badminton, buy whatever you want but still, try out another AT racket. A higher end one, but not top notch. I myself love AT rackets but I'm trying to fix my defense so I'm using a non-Yonex brand one while apparently doesn't fit your style of play.

5. voyager

voyager Regular Member

ArcSaber 9 is a nice racket, a few friends of mine like it. But it's not as head heavy as the AT series, like AT500 or 700, which are both very good. You can try out AT300 as well, which is a bit cheaper..

6. alex_fung1980

alex_fung1980 Regular Member

Nil
    For my experience, AT serious are quite head heavy, good for smash. I have AT700 (old color) and AT900t, Ti-10 both 1st gen & 2nd gen) , Cab 21 & Cab 30ms, NS9900. For smash, I highly recommend AT700, 2nd is 900T and Ti-10 1st gen. If you like oval shape, Cab 21 is much better.

7. alex_fung1980

Nil
    Ah I forget to say, I have tried Arc 10 n Arc 7, Arc 7 is much better than Arc 10. Arc 10 is really difficult to control.

8. Aeries

Aeries Regular Member

Thanks for everyone's help and recommendations :) I'm very interested in the armortec 700 at the moment - good reviews and recommendations, and sounds like my type of racket. Only down side is price, and i doubt my parents will fork out £130 for AT700 compared to my £40 AT150 haha. I still like the Arcsaber 9 though because it's more versatile than AT700, or am i wrong there?

9. alex_fung1980

Nil
    Arc 9 is a bit head heavy, but it's quite medium flex. So if you like smashing, I think it may not be a good choice.

10. phamd124

phamd124 Regular Member

Student
    Actually, even though I am a guy, I have the Arc9 and it's really nice for smashing. The head heavy feeling (even though it says it's even-balanced) is quite nice while the medium flex is good for weak smashers. Those two atributes together will go well for weak smashers. That's not me, but from what I see, that's what the racket is for and that's why so many women use it.

11. Aeries

Aeries Regular Member

I'd prefer a medium flex to a stiff one, but i'm not too fussed over it. I'm kinda a weak smasher, probably because i'm new to badminton and maybe my racket could be better too, but they're not too bad. I need to go to my local sports shop and take a look at the arcsaber 9 and AT700 as soon as i can because i'm 50/50 for both rackets at the moment. They both have their pros and cons for me.

12. phamd124

phamd124 Regular Member

Student
    You should tell us about the pros and cons, we could help you decide! :D

13. t1nosupr1mo

t1nosupr1mo Regular Member

student
    i recently bought nanospeed 8k and i love the racket because it has decent power and easy enough to move around.

14. Jing09

Jing09 Regular Member

Student
    Since you also play Mix Doubles, I would go with the Arcsaber 9. It packs a punch in terms of power play and you still could maintain control (all of this is based on observation, so try it out before you buy).

Although you don't like to drop or net drop, it is an essential part of the game, so it's best if you do learn to perfect those shots. The more shots you learn, the more shots you can use at your disposal right?

The AT700 is the most head heaviest out of the AT series (I think, correct me if I'm wrong), so you may have difficulty reacting at the front. Example: You go for a kill and the birdie ends up hitting the net because you can't control your swing due to it's weight (I know a female that uses a AT700 and has done this numerous times :p).

15. phamd124

phamd124 Regular Member

Student
    I suggest you skip the NS8000 and go the NS9000, S or X if you don't have enough money for the NS9900.

16. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

i wouldn't go for the arcsaber 9. i find that its accuracy suffers when you hit very hard. the ARC 7 is a much better choice.

Jing is correct the AT700 has the most head heavy feel of the AT series. go for a 4U, or get used to a 3U if you choose that.

Why not go for the NS800/500, 2 good rackets

17. garykoh8

garykoh8 Regular Member

engineer
    i have recently go and check to price... on NS 9000 and NS 9900, i don't understand why NS 9900 is cheaper then NS 9000... is it because NS 9000 more good ? haha

18. Aeries

Aeries Regular Member

Ah yes, good idea. I'll explain to everyone why i myself do and don't like these two rackets because everyone has their own personal views on the rackets themselves :) Here we are then...
    Arcsaber 9
    Pros: Well balanced for all games, should last me a long time i hope and i like the design hehe.
    Cons: The price, the 'missing' head heavy effect that AT has (but some have said it is fairly head heavy anyway) and i'm probably not good enough to use it effectively (started playing in september.)

Armortec 700
    Pros: Sounds very powerful which i like, i think it's more suited for me and i'm used to the head heavyness and is cheaper than arc9.
    Cons: If it's the heaviest out of the AT series it'll probably slow me down which i find a big downside when it comes to mixed doubles, especially by what jing09 has said about it (yes, you're right there jing09 - i'll perfect my drops and nets, because i can't win a game through constant clearing and smashing hehe). But saying it's 'heavier', then by how much heavier is it compared to the other AT rackets? Because if not much, then i think i'd survive. And i could always get a 4U one anyway if i find 3U too heavy.

Also, to those who have recommended nanospeeds, i thought about it and talked to my friend about it and we both agreed that it's not my type. I like to gain as much power as possible with my clears and smashes and i much more prefer to stay at the back of the court or play as equals, whereas she is more weaker but faster than i, and she prefers the front of the court too. I think she's going to buy a nanospeed soon actually... but thanks anyway :)

19. phamd124

phamd124 Regular Member

Student
    The AT700 is actually a lot lighter than some other AT rackets the 4U version is lighter than the Arc9 however it's head heavy so it's not as good as defense. I mean, if you're pro, the weight of the racket won't make too much a difference but since you like to play backcourt, I think it'll fit you better. Pricing is also better for you too, aparently. The Arc9 is missing the head-heavy feeling because it isn't head-heavy at all. The racket is actually even-balanced. I'm still sticking with my first thought: the AT700 is your baby, and it can last a long time. I still have mine from when it first came out. =)

20. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    For me, I use different racquet in different situations.

Single Games: I usually stick with Even-Balanced or Head-Heavy racquets (Arcsaber and Armortec series).

Double Games: I pick Even-Balanced or Head-Light for faster maneuverability and defense (Nanospeed and Arcsaber series).

Practice Games: Any racquet I have in my stack.

Also, when deciding a racquet, it is the feel you have towards a line. If you are used to the head-heaviness from Armortec series, you should stick to it.