ABC mini Survival Single tournament IDEA

Discussion in 'Arcadia Badminton Club ( ABC )' started by SuperBird, May 9, 2009.

1. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor
    Pendind DATE: I need some input: if this sound great leave an email. We give you more detail.

Depending on how many people apply:
    Cost: $5.00 to sign up
    Shuttlecock: 2 shuttlecocks will be provided each game, If more cocks needed, players need to provide.
    How many courts:Depending on amount of players sign up:
    We will reserve 2 courts.

How many pts to WIN? First player that get 10pts WIN, 5pts switch side. 1 Round elimination:

Is there any level category or AGE? No, if you have what it takes or if you have Strong heart and WILL....This is the game. AGE and *** has nothing to do with this tournament. A 10 y/o can play against 30 y/o ......is WILL POWER. Maybe a 30 y/o guy vs. 12 y/o girl ...depending on computer random pick for the player. In the end, there will be 1 Survival..........the rest is history.

How do we know who will play against who? A computer program will Random pick the player vs. player at the time.

That right 10 pts single game: will last about 5-10 minutes per elimination.

2 minutes warm-up will be given each round.

Winner PRICE: First & second place ONLY......

1 place will GET 3 dozen shuttlecocks Tube
    2 place will GET 1 dozen shuttlecocks Tube

((((If more players sign up, the price will be BIGGER and BETTER)))))))

ALL sign up MONEY will be use to pay for Reserved courts & PRIze for the winner. If there is More money in the BANK--->>the price will ONly get BETTER!!!!---->>>> That right 0% money will go to ME. This is about having FUN...not about gaining MONEY from this tournament for the Runner.

If William is kind enough to give 1 reserved court for 3hrs...that will be greatly appreciated for this Fun mini events........

2. harimau

harimau Regular Member

ITs, CEs, P&C Insurance Agent
    when and what time will it be ?

3. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor
    Time & date

Friday May 29,2009 at 7pm starting time
    Or
    Sunday May 31, 2009 at 1pm starting time

Which ever date is suitable for most player, it will be on that date:

Please give some suggestion: All suggestion is Welcome

4. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor
    Prize: Can be Cash $30 or 3 dozen tubes: Player Choice for 1 PLACE!!!! I will throw in a FREE T-shirt TOO....for the Champion.

5. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor
    Showing up is very flexible on this tournament:

Let said some of you show up late like 7:30 PM or 8:00 PM-->>>Computer will random picks the player who show up to start the tournament, if you come later, you still have a good shot a playing with another opponent; but we always need 2 players against 1 another at all time: If there is limited players, and you show up 1hr late: and 1 Survival left, will give an extra 3 minutes wait time before-you are disqualify, ONLY if the game is still in session......And 3pts minus if a player have to wait for YOU!!!!!

6. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor
    OK:

Today I did a test run Playing Single w/ someone to calculate the time for 10pts a game. Yes, that is too short. I want the game to be an the average of 5min-7min per GAME playing time: Therefore 15pts is a good number for the game.

DATE: MAY 31, 2009 Sunday: for now this seem like an idea date for this EVENT. Time 2pm. We are looking at Reserving 2 Courts for 2hrs.

Min numbers to start this EVENT: 16 players need to sign up.

PRIZE:
    1 place: $30 or 3 dozen tubes and a nice T-shirt:This is guarantee for Now
    2 place: Only 1 dozen tubes
    3 place: FREE entry for next EVENT & 1 time FREE stringing from the Best: You only pay for the string.

Entry fee: $5.00 & 1 Free birdie per Person/ Players need to provide extra birdies doing the tournament if needed.

The lists will be posted at ABC on Sunday May 17, 2009. thx.

Any extra ideas would be GREAT.
    For now, this tournament is running on Hard-Time: So any Help can be great SUCH AS BIRDIES/RESERVED COURT/MONEY/DRINKS/ECT.....

ALL ENTRY FEE WILL GO DIRECTLY TOWARD PRIZE & COURT RESERVED FEE.....THIS GOING TO BE A FUN TOURNAMENT FOR ABC PLAYERS:

7. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor
    PRIZE:
    1 place:A nice Trophy w/ Name engaved & T-shirt w/ $30 or 3 dozen tubes a nice T-shirt & Trophy:This is guarantee for Now
    2 place: Only 1 dozen tubes
    3 place: FREE entry for next EVENT or 1 time FREE stringing from the Best: You only pay for the string or you can provide string.

Anyone is Welcome: AGE 1y/o - 150 y/o

8. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor
    DATE: MAY 31, 2009 Sunday
    Time: 2pm
    Any questions: All stupid or silly questions are welcome. thanks

If late: If your Name is called to play: -3pts for first 4min of waiting. After 6min-You're History-easy win for the other person.

9. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor
    Here what the sign up form look like

Here is the attachment of the sign up sheet:

Attached Files:

10. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor
    So far, We have 10 people sign up: A few people are pending....
    Hopefully we get at least 16 people sign up: So sign up earlier to have a slot, We don't want to go over 22 people. Deadline will end when the POST is taken DOWN. So if you wanna play, Sign up. thanks...any questions will be welcome:

11. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor
    Remember this is a fun friendly single game. You don't need to be super pro to sign up, this is a great MINI tournament to play in to get experience for the BIGGER event. So don't be shy or embarrassed if you think your not great. You can only get better-So have fun and come and join the PARTY and make new friends..........

12. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor
    Superbird Golden Single Survival Handbook

Here are the Rule: Any ideas are welcome, there is no such things of silly or stupid ideas......(let's drink a few more coffee:)...ok here goes.

1)Please be on Time for everyone-it's not nice keeping people waiting.
    2)Please no high heels for the ladies--Mini skirt: Long enough to cover, short enough to be interesting is OK.
    3)Please no shaving on court before game starts gentlemen: Just kidding....

Ok...

You get 2 minutes warm-up: So come early to warm up more and stretch.

15 pts. system: 1 Round elimination: First player to reach 7pts--switch side, and continue on the game. First player to reach 15pts WIN: no Tie or Win by 2pts....

Coin toss: on who going to serve FIRST-->> If you win the TOSS: You can either choose to serve First or Choose court SIDE you wanna be ON for the first 7pts.

Randoms: Each person will pick a TOken out of a BAGS to determine who they will be playing with. After we determine who playing with WHO, we will have Each pair line and have another pick for the order of the Match.

The final Round to determine for 1 place will be 21 pts system.

The last Round to determine for 3 place will be 15 pts sytem.

Winner #1: Will be the ONLY 1 that will have the choice of CASH option
    -->A nice trophy with your name on it will be given to you within 7 days of the winning...........We need to special ORDER.

2 place and 3 place will get a small Gift..........

everyone else: better LUck next time........

LET HAVE FUN, AND MAKE NEW FRIENDS,,,,,PLEASE WE DON'T WANT TO CREATE ENEMY OR HATRED .......HERE.......IT'S THE LUV FOR BADMINTON.

EVERYONE IS A WINNER.........

13. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

maybe you can do best out of 3 sets of 21 or lower after the 1st round instead of just the finals, or 15 pts oss. Played in the survival single tournament today but wanted more but only one set :( each game. Btw when will the tournament video be posted on youtube?

#13 ionoo, Oct 4, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  14. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor
    HI,

We just had our survival single tournament this Sunday Oct 4,2009. Best out of 3 sets will be too much on the players Survival elimination--this will end up going over 5hr-6hrs. Also,you got to take in consideration, if you're the winners: Do you know how many set 21pts you be playing? 4-5 set rounds of best out of 3 21pts rounds: Wow, not every player have a Superman Stamina to play like this.

Today, we have about 20 players: Every players get a to play at least 2 rounds to 21pts. & we have consolation to 21pts for players that loss their first ROUND to 21pts---usually it 15pts. Did you know just by adding 6 more pts to consolation make the tournament Go to 4hrs--Can you imagine playing a full set to 21pts? One of the winners had to give up the fight for 2nd place-Cause he was too tired to continue ON!!!!! Remember, we can only reserve 2 courts for our Tournament. So we need to make the best out of it. The great part of this tournament, you don't need to wait long before your next match. In the end, we all have a great time today. Thanks for playing.
    This Survival pts system is based on the majority of the players here at ABC & we all agree on it. If we like to make any changes to it, we need to talk it over among all players who are regular SuperBird tournament players.

The only issue that is on player's mind today is that for SuperBird single tournament: Coaches & Level A-SGVB or ABC players shouldn't be allowed to play because it like taking Candies from the children!!! What do you think?

15. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor
    The you-tube will be ready within 1 week. Cause 4hrs video need to be edited down to 10 minutes...Wow that lots of work to do.

& DVD will be ready within 2 weeks: $3.00 for the DVD-->This is the full version-with minor editing(2hrs video). Money will help contribute toward our up-coming events: Medals & prizes.

Honestly, I got to say today SuperBird Survival Single----Lots of Great players & Especially Emily--She is a super-professional female player. Time for me to train harder & smarter......:)

16. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

Who won btw? 1st 2nd 3rd

Ya the coaches or B level players should have a handicap or something. But wouldn't that go against your no age or gender difference in these tournaments free for all no matter will power etc. theme of survival if you exclude those players.

Handicap as in maybe opponent starts 7 pts ahead or something. Hopefully in the future the tournament can have more courts reserved or a little longer matches 1 set to 30? If money is the issue to reserve more courts I personally wouldn't mind paying a little more in the tournament fee cause it is cheaper than the usual $15-25. Other people I know would like to play in the tournament but are bit discouraged by the 1 set 21.

Besides it is singles, fatigue is not uncommon, but in the end hey it will make you a better player physically if you don't quit.

In addition I believe the most anyone really plays in a tournament to reach the finals is usually like 4-5, therefore playing 4-5 rounds of singles is just like the real tournaments.

Thanks for hosting the tournament. :) Any idea when the next one will be?

#16 ionoo, Oct 4, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  17. Viper2005

Viper2005 Regular Member

Play Badminton Everyday!
    Wonderful and lots of fun today. Thanks.

Just want to thank everyone for the wonderful games today.
    Great to see lots of friends at the gym.

Having lots of different levels of players can make the tournament interesting.

The younger/intermediate players can see and learn the game from a different point of view.

Thanks for hosting the tournament.:)

18. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor
    "Ya the coaches or B level players should have a handicap or something. But wouldn't that go against your no age or gender difference in these tournaments free for all no matter will power etc. theme of survival if you exclude those players."

Yes, I totally agree with this statement. For me, I enjoy playing with anyone who show up for the survival tournament, even if it LIN DAN show up :). It's just the challenge i enjoy & the experience & a small fee lesson to pay for playing against someone who better---maybe you can learn something from them. The only ways to play better and improve your mental game is by playing with the BEST & Never Fears of Losing---->>You only lose if you stop playing. Enjoy the game.

Survival Theme: I would like to stay with this idea w/out handicap--given equal ground among all players THAT ARE willing to carry on the CHALLENGE--THAT MAKE IF FUN. That the Soul reason why this is only $5.00 tournament. So we can improve our playing skill and meet new players and most of all have some FUN. I implement the consolation to give weaker player to have 1 more round of playing and a chance to Win a prize for 3rd place.

Today, there a few participants telling me that is not fair to let the A-level coach to play in this tournament. But, i told them you are playing Survival Theme Tournament and not your typical A,b,c,d,e,f,g..level type of game. It up to the coach's conscience to decide whether he will play or not. Just like ABC HOCK LAI--will not enter, cause his conscience knows this LEVEL skill players are just too easy for the taken.

"The younger/intermediate players can see and learn the game from a different point of view."------I strongly agree with Viper2005.

I definitely enjoy my singles lesson today with the stronger players. I always learn or pick up something new whenever I play this singles game. I am not a singles player yet, but I am beginning to enjoy it more than Doubles---Cause I don't like to blame my partner for his mistakes & I enjoy learning from my own mistakes w/out getting YELL at in singles except for telling myself---"Why do you keep hitting the shuttle toward him, hit away from HIM.....:)

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Just my 3 sens..

- Main issues were the time constraint and the no. of courts reserved. Y'day, for example, the tourney went just a bit longer than the original estimated time of 3 hrs (2-5 pm). We reserved 2 courts with 20 people playing. We got the time barely fit in (a bit of a late start).
    - I, personally, don't mind seeing different level of players play against each other. As both Eddie and Paul mentioned, the lower level players can learn "something" from playing vs. the higher level players. Although i understand where the concern & argument lies on the level of competition, say if an A/B level player like Paul were to meet low intermediate or high beginner type players. Hmm, how to decide??..
    - I mentioned to Eddie a while back, maybe a 30 pts sytem is another option; 15 pts interval/switch side. I also played in a 30 pts-based tourney, just this past weekend, and i personally enjoyed it. It not only gives more chances of a possible comeback, but it also semi-prolongs a match, giving it that "stamina required" feel.
    - I also heard, from a couple of folks who played y'day, that 21 pts was too quick; add to that it's 1 game and done.
    - As for stamina being a factor, yes, as it's called the Survival Singles tournament, may the fittest player win..;):cool:
    - Btw, Emily nearly took down Paul. And she was the only female competitor in the whole tourney. It's good to see that kind of competition as well..:cool:
    - Anyway, i'm sure Eddie can tweak or be open to other scoring systems/ideas for next time.

A few suggestions from me:
    - Maybe reserve more courts? If players need to pay extra, let it be..
    - Maybe include a deuce system, which we didn't have y'day?
    - Maybe extend the score to 30 pts/1 game system?

After we've given other ideas a try & the folks don't like that, then we can always swing it back to the 21 pts/1 game system. Never really hurt to try something different??..

Overall, it was well ran and i think a lot of folks enjoyed it.:cool:

ionoo, which one are you, what's your name??..

#19 ctjcad, Oct 5, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  20. Viper2005

Viper2005 Regular Member

Play Badminton Everyday!
    Bring the tourny to the next level of fun.

Hopefully the tournament will attract more players, whether it's beginner, intermediate or advance level players.
    Having more levels of competiton will only promote the sport and attract other players to come and watch or play.
    Hopefully more better player will join and raise the level of the competition, but at the same time the lower level players shouldn't be intimated to join.
    Ed did a wonderful job organizing the event. Good job.:)
    Looking forward to the next tourny.

- Btw, Emily nearly took down Paul. And she was the only female competitor in the whole tourney. It's good to see that kind of competition as well.
    The score was 21-20, yes... it was a very exciting game.