Sometimes i smack my racket on the floor whilst clearing - how to stop it?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Aeries, May 10, 2009.

1. Aeries

Aeries Regular Member

I apologise if this thread is in the wrong forum, and about the title too - i couldn't find a better way to word it :p

Anyway, basically, whenever i clear, i sometimes hit my racket on the floor really hard. This happens only occasionally, like once every 2/3 weeks, but still i'm scared i'll break my racket sooner or later as i'm getting stronger. Plus i was considering buying a newer, better more expensive racket soon and i really don't want to damage that.

I'm more of an arm player, not the wrist. I asked my friends what i look like when i clear, and they told me i do this 'windmill' motion with my racket arm haha. And sometimes, with this windmill motion, my racket happens to smack the floor when i bring it down. I also hit my racket on my shin sometimes, but it doesn't hurt :)

Anyone know how i can break this annoying habit?

2. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    unless you're not too tall, it's prolly your technique that can be improved...you should bring the racket down at the left side of your body, and there should be enough space if your racket foot follows through forward...u can go google some videos... but anyways, once every 2/3 weeks doesn't seem too serious to me

3. Aeries

Aeries Regular Member

I'm 5'7'', so i doubt it's my height - i think it's what you said, my technique. I've tried bringing the racket down the left side of my body in the past when i hit the birdie because that's how i see other people doing it, but the birdie usually goes flying off towards the left, not straight ahead. I'll go watch some videos when i've got some time :)

4. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Ok basically you have incorrect technique.

The famous "wind-mill" technique , which is very inefficient.

Ok so the analagy I use is like an archer. They bring their arm straight to the position.

The wind mill motion is when you move your racket below your waist then to your normal stroke , an archers stroke gets straight into position.

It is really hard to explain - but you are dragging your racket around then hitting your shot , which is why you are hitting your racket on the floor.
    When you are aboutt o hit your shot your racket should go straight back.

This may help - but I'm not sure , if it does then thats good :D.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    find a video camera. someone digital camera will do.

have yourself recorded and then look at your own play. after that, compare that with others, esp the good players. then i think what needs to be improved in your play will be very apparent.

don't spend any money on any new racquets. it will be waste of your money, work on your techniques first.

6. Aeries

Aeries Regular Member

I understand what you mean krisss, that sounds like what i do haha. My coach has tried telling me to do the archer movement movement with my arm, but to no avail. In fact, all coaches i've come across have told me the same thing, but it doesn't stick in my head. I've been windmilling for too long haha. I guess i'll just have to practice, practice, practice the proper way to do it. However, my clears are pretty strong despite i'm using the wrong technique hehe.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    oh so you have have a coach. that's good.

then you have answered your own question. if you want to stop hitting the floor:

listen to your coach.

8. Aeries

Aeries Regular Member

That's a good idea kwun. Actually, i'm having my lessons tomorrow so i'll bring my phone with me and get my friend to video me. I'll have to find someone to lift the birdie for me though. Everyone will think i'm weird having my friend to film me clear haha.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that's ok.

i think after you see how strange the windmill motion is, that will give you more incentive to change it.

10. Aeries

Aeries Regular Member

Ok, thanks for the advice. Haha, i look forward to seeing myself do my 'windmill' clear on video :) I'll probably laugh at how ridiculous i look, then i'll realise what i've got to do.

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes. i did refrained from using the word "ridiculous", but since you used it yourself, then there you go. :)

12. Aeries

Aeries Regular Member

Haha, well, my ridiculous problem has now been solved, i hope. We'll have to see tomorrow. Actually, i'll do a before and after. I'll get my friend to film me at the start of the session during warmup, and at the end i'll ask her to film me again and see if there's any change. I'll let you know on this thread the day after tomorrow (my lessons are late at night and i'm usually dragging myself home afterwards so no chance of going on the computer) if my clears have improved. Anyway, i have some last minute homework to do for now. :mad:

13. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Aeries its good to see you have a coach , that is the best way to improve ( as long as the coach knows what they are doing :) )

-The way I tell people to improve is to consciously change it.
    What I mean is if you go to your club night and for the 2 hours you play you consciously think about using the archer technique eventually you will do it unconsiously.

-The pro's have done their movement so many times that they don't need to think about it any more :).

Anyway best of luck , and I hope you finally conquer your inefficient problem.

14. Aeries

Aeries Regular Member

Thanks krisss :) I still had my windmill arm last night - it was easier to say it than change it unfortunately, but hopefully if i continue reminding myself how to use the proper technique, i'll slowly get used to it :) I did successfully hit the birdie properly several times last night and i noticed a big difference, especially by how much further it travelled and the new, undiscovered power.