Mixed doubles serving

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by lagigolo, May 10, 2009.

1. lagigolo

lagigolo Regular Member

I would like to know which foot i should have forward when serving mixed doubles, i am left handed.

This section taken from the badminton bible

Is this a statement for everybody, as i already stand this way or should it be reversed because i am left handed.

2. Nuetronist

Nuetronist Regular Member

I beleive you should reverse it becuase if you're left handed, and you put your LEFT foot forward, if they do a flick serve you will have to get back, switch your feet and then get ready for the shot.

3. chewablemorphin

chewablemorphin Regular Member

Lifeguard, and a little bit of autobody
    racket foot forward.

4. Nuetronist

oh? Please explain. I know the goal in doubles is to be aggresive, but is there really that high of a chance that you will be able to get a flick serve at the net? Becuase really, if your racket foot is forward, that is the ONLY choice you are leaving yourself. Lunge forward and if you get the serve, great job and if you don't, well sucks for you.

5. phamd124

phamd124 Regular Member

Student
    If you're playing traditional mixed doubles and not level mixed doubles, the girl should be in the front. She shouldn't be blocking your service view and this would allow for a better serve be it flick or low. The girl would get the front half of the court and with your racket foot forwards, after your serve, you should half step-- get ready for the incoming shots. You normally bend down, get low and bounce around but your racket foot always forward making it easier to lunge, thus, making it much more effective to have your racket foot forward.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    if you are serving forehand, then non-racket foot forward.

if you are serving backhand, then racket foot forward.

that should be the same for mixed or regular doubles.

7. Mathieu

Mathieu Regular Member

Student
    He is talking about when HE is serving, not when he is receiving the serve!

And when you serve, about 90% of players serve with their racket foot forwards.

As for receiving... every player receives with their non-racket foot forwards.
    ;)

8. lagigolo

lagigolo Regular Member

I do and i do

and I do.

I was on the right road, only thing slightly different to a righty is the woman has to move over as sometimes shes in my way.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    in mixed, if you are serving forehand, the lady should always be slightly to the left side of the "T", regardless of whether you are serving from the left or right service court.

conversely, if you are serving backhand, the lady should always be slightly to the right side of the "T".

10. Mathieu

Mathieu Regular Member

Student
    Thats what I thought too until I watched a few mixed doubles videos: just a few examples:

Clark and Kellog: Clark (lefty) serving from left service court, Kellog stands on the right side of the T. When Clark switches to the right service court, Kellog sands on the left side of the T.

Same thing for Bonde and Nielson (Dannish Pair, both right handed). From the right side of the court, the lady stands to the left side of the T.

Same goes for Layborn and Juhl (Dannish pair, Layborn is right handed and Juhl is left handed).

Same for Widianto and Natsir, Robertson and Emms, Zhongbo and Yawen.

On the other hand, Lee Yong Dae's partner always stands slightly right of the T.

It seems that the general rule has changed to: The women always stands as close as possible to where the man will be serving (so that she is ready for straight net replies).

Just an observation, I hope it helped

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes. i was a bit conservative on the lady's position. by all means, if the position don't obstruct the service nor obstruct the view of the receiver, it is desirable for the lady to stand as close to the guy as possible.

12. phamd124

phamd124 Regular Member

Student
    Have you ever noticed if any of the pairs give signs to each other to tell them which serve they're going to do? I don't think I've seen any but I was just thinking about it and that'd totally work!

13. Mathieu

Mathieu Regular Member

Student
    Yes, I've seen a few pairs (on video again, but I don't remember which pairs) giving each other signs about what serve they will be using. The signs were usually fingers behind their back (1 for short and 2 for flick serve for instance)
    I was pretty surpised as I did not know this was allowed.

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that's very common.

15. Nuetronist

Ah, my apologies

16. Mathieu

Mathieu Regular Member

Student
    Its alright. I did not mean to be rude in any way.

17. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    Rather than copping a page full of confusion, go to youtube or download a professional mixed doubles match.
    grab a notepad and a pen. And take notes on important factors such as which foot is forward at different times, movements between rallys etc etc.

Watch it and learn for yourself exactly what is needed for effective mixed doubles positioning and play.

18. azn32boi

azn32boi Regular Member

Usually, the girl stands a little to the left more on any serve because of the quick returns, it'll take less time to reach her backhand side and cut it off. It just increases the range of shots she can hit in a shorter time period. When I serve I usually stand a step back from the girl, and if she's in the way I would tell her to adjust. Tell her to get lower, or something. It shouldn't really matter whether your right or left, when you serve, you serve close to the center of your body anyways, so she shouldn't be in your way.