Learning badminton when you are older

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Cheung, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    This topic comes up from the bad attitude thread.

Of course, it's never too late to learn anything.

I thought it interesting that at the age of 26, Adelina has decided to unlearn some of her badminton techniques. I must say, that is an excellant attitude to start off with. One danger is that one's own gameplay will suffer. It is important to know that you can trust the coach to teach you properly. Afterall, how do you know if you are learning another crooked technique?

From my experience, it was hard to unlearn the bad habits. There was also frustration along the way. But, I did improve but you gotta expect some deterioration first. OK somethings aren't perfect but you know what? I think I've got to the stage where I can start to analyse why sometimes I can't do certain techniques (of course, there are a lot of others as well).

And there are really tiny differences in technique making big differences on court, especially with footwork and rhythm.

Adult learning is different from school age learning. The adult is more likely to discuss and talk around things. For those still learning, my advice is to not get too wrapped up in the talking part and spend more time doing the routine. There is only so much you can learn by talking with the coach. The body also has to learn the different techniques.

:cool:

2. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    This is so true and that is also one reason why it is so important to have a good coach who can suggest those minute adjustments.

Having said that, does this mean that the coach has to be a technical coach or at the very least know the correct component of the stroke technique to a T?

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Actually, I'm not sure. Of course the coach should have sound technique. But does he really need to teach the perfect stroke all the time?

Probably not. Maybe he/she should make the corrective action when the technique is actually affecting the player.

For instance, although my basic footwork is correct, I have problems with timing and moving too early. My coach never worked on this before just concentrating on the basic movment. Th last couple of lessons, we haved worked concentrated on this aspect. Of course, now he can really focus on this particular problem because my foot work pattern is satisfactory.
    This is one solution.

Any others?

And anyway, what is perfect technique? All individuals vary. Even Peter Gade has his racquet facing outwards when preparing to do an overhead stroke. (but he turns it to face inwards, and then out again before hitting the shuttle)

4. other

other Regular Member

Student
    There's no need to unlearn the bad habits, just force yourself to learn the 'proper' ones on top of the bad ones. Then when your game picks up after the new ones have been mastered, you'll feel even better!

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i agree with Cheung and that kiwichick. after unguided for many years of play, it is very important to unlearn the bad habits. however, it requires times as well as determination. it is always very tempted to use the old bad habits, as they are old and familiar. the confidence level of using the "correct" ones is always lower at this stage.

one thing i find works is to play games against people who are a little bit lower than your level. in that case, you will have more time to actually think and force yourself to do what is learned and not what is more comfortable. there is also much less pressure. after a while, when you get more comfortable with it. then go back to your own level.

6. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    1 step back - 2 steps forward

with most of us older players where we have learned the game from numerous sources, finding the 'appropriate' method for each of us in an individual experience. regardless of the methods, when we undertake the task to correct or change our game, we need to be willing to take a short term hit. the hit will typically take the form of lost games or periods of frustration. but eventually if you stick with it you will gain in the long term.

i know some players are more willing to experiment and change. at the same time, there are also lots of players that refuse change because of the short term pain. it really depends on the person.

one of my friends who plays regularly is nearing his 70's and yet often when we meet he will ask me to show him different strokes and other ways to do things. and then he goes and tries it out. another one of my friends has played the way he does since the 70's and i figure until he is well past his 70's... so you are never too old to learn, but you could also be too young to refuse further learning....:D

7. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    That short term performance hit sure is painful alright! *LOL* :D
    I can't seem to do anything right anymore but I know this is my chance to improve/fix my poor technique as much as possible. No time like the present. Especially while my knee is healing. Every day I pray that the day I can walk pain free come quickly. Plus the dang thing is hindering my training :( heheh. Sure makes you appreciate "health" when you don't have it. I can't imagine what people with true handicaps must deal with. Anyway, before I go too far off topic, I totally believe people should be open minded to change, especially if it's for the better. When it comes to badminton, it seems like the things people don't want to change are usually the things holding them back from reaching the next level.

"Be like watah"
    - Bruce Lee
    :D

8. viver

viver Regular Member

Having a coach with good knowledge will help you certainly, if not could bring you more problems. But how can a beginner differentiate a good from a bad coach? There's no way to tell if you know nothing about the technique.

Sometime ago I had been helping out on some coaching for adults. One day the lesson was the footwork to move to baseline backhand side. After showing the basic footwork, it was the players turn to practice. After some practice, a player came to me and asked why when going backwards, the body did not rotate. He mentioned that he learnt from another coach that when going to backhand side baseline; first move to position his racquet foot behind and have his non-racquet arm shoulder pointing to the net; next step would move his non racquet foot behind the racquet foot in a way that the rotates the body and have his racquet arm should pointing the net, and so on...(not sure if the description is understandable). First, told him that I've never learnt that method to hit. I then tried to show him that biomechanically his move - rotating his body is not power efficient. Told him to also try my method and decide later which would suit him better. He agreed but did not come for the reaminder of the lessons.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Don't quite understand. Do you mean have one control over one bad technique and learn a new one?

If we apply that to the smash, the player will be in command of two strokes, one old & inefficient, and one new one. However, human learning will dictate the technique which is habit(and been used many years) will prevail over a period of time unless reinforced.

I did a training routine yesterday. It was a forecourt backhand shot, run rearcourt, cross court smash, approach net crosscourt for forehand kill.

There were a lot of problems for a routine I had 'forced' to learn many months ago. My balance was going all over the place. Luckily, my training partner helped out and I was doing the routine better in the end (until I ran out of breath)

10. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    pschyco-cybernetics (or reprogramming your mind)

the problems with re-learning is that you are trying to overwrite you old habits with the new techniques. unfortunately due to the subconcious, the mind, when it comes to pressure situations (ie. game situation) often reverts back to the habits. this is why as viver said, it is best to try to get good coaching from the start so that you learn properly so you don't have to do this re-programming.
    from studies of pschyco-cybernetics, they have suggested that it takes the mind 21 days of continual practice to overwrite previous memory. this is a hard process, in that it includes both physical practice and mental imaging.

as for finding a good coach from the start, that's a tough one as well. being a player with some experience, most of us can see a good player who might be able to offer us coaching. but to someone new (or a parent) to the sport, they really cannot tell the difference. even with the so-called certification, this does not have any relationship to whether the coach can even play badminton, just that they have taken the course and passed.

i have seen at some clubs, kids that are actually quite good and fast. but the technique is so poor , yet these are being taught to them by the coach. despite the poor technique, they can play well. but the difference begins to show when they play against kids that are taught better technique. the kids with poor technique have difficulty reading the shots, or they spend more energy playing each rally, or worse they start getting injured as they attempt to smash harder with bad technique.

11. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    it really comes down to what is more natural for your body to do. in terms of movement, your method is very smooth. the rotating of the shoulder (btw - i think i know who that coach is) is (imho) inefficient and in fact counters your attempt to move quickly. and if you are moving backwards, you will spend more energy moving your upper body in the early parts of the move without it being necessary. but this is not to say that if the player learned the other method from the very beginning, that they would be able to become very proficient with that as well...

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Interesting technique. Rather like Robocop running backwards.

IMHO, It is virtually impossible to know who is a good coach unless the majority of people tell you so!

I guess one could also be a good coach with bad techniques (groan).

21 days of continual practice to overwrite prelearned techniques? What am I doing in front of the computer?:confused:

13. ivan

ivan Regular Member

Student
    1. I can't really image that movement badrad, but it sounds like what I am doing. I am not aruging about this movement, just thinking that early prepare for the shot seems always effecient. regarding to the backhand baseline, where is the start point until the end point (backhand baseline).
    2. To find a good coach is very important my friends, I can't improve anymore due to luck of find coaching. Yes, a lot of people been offer me some quality coaching, but the thing is that they can't even over skill me in the single game and I don't really think they are qualify to it (my very fine coach experience is that the coach won me in single game without sweating). The point here is that the quality of coach is so different, you really don't want to hire someone to messed up your good habit instead of improve it.

14. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    Ahem...watch it with the use of "old"

I personally prefer the term "more matured" player thankyouverymuch! :p Hehe, yes Cheung, I do know what you mean..still, old is such a misleading word..don't make me post my photo here to prove my youth! :) Then you'll all have nightmares! :p

A

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Adelina

"More mature"?

OK, so I can describe you as being like 'cheese' - very mature;)