User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been taking some Yoga classes along with my girlfriend too with no thoughts of badminton in mind and recently, I've been able to move around the court faster. I seem more relaxed while playing and I tend to play smarter. Possibly even stronger too. I can't say this is a direct effect of the Yoga since I've also been working out but I can say it has made a difference for sure.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found the rather primitive yoga on Wii fit to help out. I was doing it every day for about 10 weeks and felt a lot more flexible and quick (could lunge further without feeling discomfort). I was also doing squats, push ups and sit ups at the time.

Having stopped for the moment because of uni exams I have definitely gotten slower around the court again. Especially moving forward.

A uni fitness coach said having core strength is vitally important for stability and shot control. As is not over training one muscle, as they work in pairs. So if you do loads of tricep work don't forget biceps!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it okay if i train in my backyard when not coaching?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It should be fine, but you might build a bad habit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yah, ok, thanks!
    I am going for coaching, but after returning home, when i feel like training, that's when i go to the backyard, don't worry, i'll be careful, will do exactly what the coach says!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Backyard training is FUN!!! Learnt how to jump smash in my backyard when i was younger..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TIMO1 View Post
    Backyard training is FUN!!! Learnt how to jump smash in my backyard when i was younger..
    Hehe!
    Yeah it sure is, and about the Jump Smash, i never thought i could learn it in my backyard cuz of the wind! ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

backyard training works best for "shadow badminton"

You dont actually use a shuttle. But practice shots and technique imagining you are hitting a particular shot. And practicing over and over and over.

This is a good training method iv picked up.
    Pick your star player who you like. EG Lee Chong Wei. Download a few of his matches and study him playing. Watch him only over and over and over.
    Then go to your backyard and practice moving imagining your him. When you move for a net shot have a picture going through your mind of what he would be doing. Keep practicing until you feel quite fluent and feel asif you are replicating his movements to some degree.
    Also because you are concentrating so hard mentally, you block out every other aspect apart from your movement and hitting the shuttle. It tends to give you a cleaner, calmer movement aswell as a more focused thought process.

Sounds a bit strange but it works. (dont expect instant results. It may take weeks or months to feel the replication of certain shots. But when you move in and hit a perfect drop shot or jump smash using this process, it is a very good satisfying feeling. And a good confidence booster.)

This more or less relies alot on strengthening your mental game. You may or may not actually look like Lee Chong Wei when playing. But you think you are and in turn give yourself more confidence. And if through this you produce better movement and cleaner shots then it does not matter if your not a perfect Lee Chong Wei.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bradmyster View Post
    backyard training works best for "shadow badminton"

You dont actually use a shuttle. But practice shots and technique imagining you are hitting a particular shot. And practicing over and over and over.

This is a good training method iv picked up.
    Pick your star player who you like. EG Lee Chong Wei. Download a few of his matches and study him playing. Watch him only over and over and over.
    Then go to your backyard and practice moving imagining your him. When you move for a net shot have a picture going through your mind of what he would be doing. Keep practicing until you feel quite fluent and feel asif you are replicating his movements to some degree.
    Also because you are concentrating so hard mentally, you block out every other aspect apart from your movement and hitting the shuttle. It tends to give you a cleaner, calmer movement aswell as a more focused thought process.

Sounds a bit strange but it works. (dont expect instant results. It may take weeks or months to feel the replication of certain shots. But when you move in and hit a perfect drop shot or jump smash using this process, it is a very good satisfying feeling. And a good confidence booster.)

This more or less relies alot on strengthening your mental game. You may or may not actually look like Lee Chong Wei when playing. But you think you are and in turn give yourself more confidence. And if through this you produce better movement and cleaner shots then it does not matter if your not a perfect Lee Chong Wei.
    Wow man, thanks for the info. Umm..actually, my favourite player in Lin Dan but i get what you're trying to tell!
    I will try that and along with coaching as well, i think i can improve!
    Hehe!
    I'll tell you the results later!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerx View Post
    Wow man, thanks for the info. Umm..actually, my favourite player in Lin Dan but i get what you're trying to tell!
    I will try that and along with coaching as well, i think i can improve!
    Hehe!
    I'll tell you the results later!
    Just make sure your neighbours aren't peeping over at you when you're doing it rofl.

Adding to Bradmyster's technique, you could probably watch Lee Chong Wei with your mum, and get her to watch you play "shadow badminton" and see whether your movement 'shadows' Lee Chong Wei's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by atingd View Post
    Just make sure your neighbours aren't peeping over at you when you're doing it rofl.

Adding to Bradmyster's technique, you could probably watch Lee Chong Wei with your mum, and get her to watch you play "shadow badminton" and see whether your movement 'shadows' Lee Chong Wei's.
    Ahaha! Sounds like an insult but, it's true. You never know how you're doing it until you see it yourself, or in this case, someone else sees it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea the only problem was the wind that would sweep my shuttles onto the roof gutters. but otherwise very very cheap way to practice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea the only problem was the wind that would sweep my shuttles onto the roof gutters. but otherwise very very cheap way to practice
    Oh! The purpose is to not use a shuttle. So you can just focus on the movement and not hitting the birdie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phamd124 View Post
    Oh! The purpose is to not use a shuttle. So you can just focus on the movement and not hitting the birdie.
    I can practice the footwork, can't i?
    Well, as for the neighbours, i don't think they will look. Ha!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I've heard, doing heavy weight lifting or bulking up like body builders will actually make your swing slower..

If you really want to get stronger, you should do it during the off season..

Flexibility and Explosive strength/ speed are key in badminton..
    you should do very quick repetitions with weights that allow you to do about 25 reps..

This is almost the opposite of traditional strength training with slow movements of 1-10 reps.

I've heard good results regarding using elastic bands vs weights also..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phamd124 View Post
    theres no fun without the shuttle! besides, this is like 5-6 years ago when i was younger lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

theres no fun without the shuttle! besides, this is like 5-6 years ago when i was younger lol.
    Once you have learned it clearly, there is even no need for the Raquet!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast