Training At Home

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by krisss, May 11, 2009.

1. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Hi,

I want to add to my muscular development as I don't do a lot when training. We normally do footwork , stamina training , and a bit fo muscular devlopment but not much.

So I have been thinking about doing training at home , but what should I train?

I just want to pinpoint key muscles in badminton and how to develop them , without any expensive machines ( weights are fine ).

I recently saw that biceps don't help a lot in badminton.

Anyway back to the point , yeah I would really need a few things which arn't too time consuming. I want to spend about 1-1:30 a day MAX :D.

After everyone has inputted their ideas I will make a list :D.

The preferred layout which would be helpfull is:

The excerices name ( e.g push ups )
    The muscle/muscles it works ( e.g triceps and pectorals )
    The part in badminton it is used in ( e.g smashing )
    (If its weights , the amount specified ( 5kg )
    A picture/video that someone is doing it in
    Other details.

Thankyou

2. chewablemorphin

chewablemorphin Regular Member

Lifeguard, and a little bit of autobody
    Bridges, and side bridges. I do 3 minutes normal bridge, and half that on side bridges. They work the core muscles that keep you balance. They also add more power to your smashes.

3. TheBear

TheBear Regular Member

Very dependant upon a number of things concerning you personally, such as
    - current fitness level
    - body type
    - BMI etc
    If you're serious about it, why not spend a little time with a (general) sports coach and get a generalised fitness programme together. If you're after something more specific to badminton then clearly you'll seek the advice from a more appropriate source, but I think it's very important that you get advice from a qualified professional that can assess you and your ability to improve.

4. krisss

krisss Regular Member

The Bear as always I understand where your coming from , but all I want is the excercise groups , some coaches are telling me to do push ups , but you don't really need them , because they increase your triceps , which only slightly help with supination?

That is why I wanted to find out certain excercises that will help me , I will adjust them if i find them too hard / easy.

5. TheBear

TheBear Regular Member

In which case I think we need to break down the different requirements of the game on the body, and how best to acccomodate them.
    Pronation/supination muscles can be exercised by the well-known chopping exercises. This is where the palms of both hands are horizontal, and then the edges of the palms are moved in a chopping fashion, suddenly, to exercise the forearms. In one direction the hands look like they are moving around a ball (supination). Be careful as this places strain on the elbow joints.
    Youtube shows a number of exercises for the rotator cuff muscles in the shoulder (search on rotator cuff)
    Plyometrics are useful (once again loads on YouTube), but demand a good level of fitness and careful monitoring.
    Hope some of this helps

6. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Don't worry too much about specific muscles used in badminton - playing your sport takes care of those more specialized adaptations. Instead focus gaining strength on the basic exercises with good form.

That being said, there are a few common physical deficiencies that can be found in most people these days, including many athletes. First of all, it's the ability to keep your trunk stable and solid as one piece, otherwise known as core strength. When you swing or do a pushoff on the ground, if your torso twists or bends, it is absorbing energy rather than transferring it as it should. Doing basic bridge exercises is a great way to start developing this, and you should transfer this concept of having a stable and solid torso into all of your physical exercises, including technical exercises for badminton.

Next we have to make sure your hips are working properly. Look up "glute activation exercises" and do a circuit of these exercises every day as part of your warm-up. In so many people the glutes are under-active leading the quads to over-dominate. When this happens you often have somewhat awkward looking movement lacking the fluidity of movement with proper hip drive. Once you get used to doing those glute activation drills, you want to focus on doing the basic leg exercises - squats, lunges, deadlifts, split squats, etc while keeping the glutes and hamstrings on (and of course with good core stability as well).

So look up the following exercises and make sure to learn the technique for them by reading about them on the net or looking at online coaching videos for them. I'd start out doing them all with light weight every day just to learn the proper form, then progress to heavier loads once you're ready. Here they are:

Lower Body: Glute Activation Drills, Squat, Deadlift, Lunges, Bulgarian Split Squat
    Core: Front Bridge, Side Bridge, Bird Dog
    Upper Body: Pushup, Pullup, Row, Dip, 1-Arm Press

7. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    lol.......the amount of muscles used for pushups are way more significant than you think....

Triceps, chest, shoulders, abs, lower back. All these muscles are strengthened from pushups. As long as you keep good posture then you will feel these muscle groups being worked. And as you get better and more advanced with badminton having these groups strengthened will significantly help your game.

As you learn to jump smash properly you will learn about faster body rotation. Using your core strength to get more height and power. Aswell as learning to thrust your body weight into the shot using shoulder rotation and wrist snaps.

Doesnt seem to me you know much about muscle training and development and how important and relevant it is to badminton.

As mentioned before you dont need to concentrate particularly on individual groups as badminton already does that. It singles out body parts such as forearm just for an example. If you concentrate on a general strength workout (eg focus on strengthening, shoulders, chest, abs, back, triceps, biceps, legs) Then you will benefit greatly with your strength and fitness over time. Keeping in mind fitness will need badminton aswell as extra physical training.

Sorry if i seemed rude at all. But i dont want you wasting your time and achieving nothing. (iv seen it happen alot)

8. chewablemorphin

chewablemorphin Regular Member

Lifeguard, and a little bit of autobody
    Bradmyster, the whole point of him making this thread was to learn about muscle training and developement. From what I read, he has a very clear understanding that it is important for badminton.

9. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    Geauss i misinterpreted his post then. Have fun learning.

10. noppy

noppy Regular Member

student
    I agree with you, i cant think of a muscle you dont use at some point in badminton.

As you said with push ups aswell very true

Something that also needs to be taken into account is developing fast and slow twitch muscles, but thats to do with samatotyping(sp?) etc.

As has already been discussed in other thread it also gets to a point where it is a disadvantage to be bigger.

burpees are also a good allround exercise

11. alexkho

alexkho Regular Member

Purchasing
  12. TIMO1

TIMO1 Regular Member

One that will strengthen your shoulders would be shoulder press. If you dont have a bar/olympic bar its ok. Weights dont have to be heavy, 5kg a side.

The motion of the exercise is somewhat like benchpress. But the bar would be going behind your neck. Repeat exercise.

13. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Hmm , I don't understand this , could you elaborate please?

14. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Hmm I understand what noppy and bradymyster are talking about.

Like currently I am doing , sets of push ups , sets of sit ups , wrist training and squats.

I wanted to know other particular methods of training.

I also understand the purpose of slow twitch / fast twitch , where badminton needs fast twitch muscles.

Burpees is a good excercise :D.

Hmm I know not to get too big , as this will be a significant disadvantage , I just wanted to train overall - not overly train , but become stronger and fitter.

15. TIMO1

TIMO1 Regular Member

16. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Hmmm Ok thanks for that :) .

17. TIMO1

TIMO1 Regular Member

all good :) hope that helped.

18. phamd124

phamd124 Regular Member

Student
    I've been taking some Yoga classes along with my girlfriend too with no thoughts of badminton in mind and recently, I've been able to move around the court faster. I seem more relaxed while playing and I tend to play smarter. Possibly even stronger too. I can't say this is a direct effect of the Yoga since I've also been working out but I can say it has made a difference for sure.

19. Sevex

Sevex Regular Member

Academia, CFD/ wind engineering
    I found the rather primitive yoga on Wii fit to help out. I was doing it every day for about 10 weeks and felt a lot more flexible and quick (could lunge further without feeling discomfort). I was also doing squats, push ups and sit ups at the time.

Having stopped for the moment because of uni exams I have definitely gotten slower around the court again. Especially moving forward.

A uni fitness coach said having core strength is vitally important for stability and shot control. As is not over training one muscle, as they work in pairs. So if you do loads of tricep work don't forget biceps!

20. Gamerx

Gamerx Regular Member

Education
    Is it okay if i train in my backyard when not coaching?