Reaction times

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by SheepJumpFish, May 11, 2009.

1. SheepJumpFish

SheepJumpFish Regular Member

Student
    I play a lot of badminton and now I'm playing in county I need to improve some things. I would like to know some easy methods on how to speed up my reaction times (or atleast ones that don't take a lot of time). I was playing earlier with some older players and was having difficulty returning their smashes which is due to not being able to react to their shots fast enough and also sometimes when playing at the net or receiveing a serve I try to work out what they are going to play and get flicked or whatever so if my reactions were that bit faster I wouldn't have to.
    Thanks for any useful comments

2. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    Play against a wall. The shuttle is very unpredictable and if your in fairly close range it changes direction very quick forcing you to react.
    Other than that defense training. Lift and block while someone who is quite strong smashes at you. Also works well in 2 vs 1 or 3 vs 1 with the attackers being the 3 and the 1 person defending.

The attitude of "I want something that doesnt take alot of time" is pretty silly and lazy. If you deadset have no time what so ever free because your lifestyle is hektic then sure. But these things take time and practice. If you cant set aside the significant time to dedicate yourself to training and learning then you wont progress.

3. SheepJumpFish

SheepJumpFish Regular Member

Student
    I'm not saying I won't put the time in but I can't be spending hours every day because i'm starting exams soon and have things to do. I spend an hour - 3 hours a week just practicing my serve which to me is quite a lot so doing an additional few hours a weeks would not work, I could happily manage maybe 1-2hours but that is pushing it a bit. I am totally dedicated to getting better and do not have a lazy attitude as I was until very recently playing 5 times a week which was like 9 hours. I'm not attacking you in anyway and I do appreciated your advice