Backhand Low Serve in Doubles

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by neavalmi0421, May 11, 2009.

1. neavalmi0421

neavalmi0421 Regular Member

New Product Development
    Hello BC members:

I got this tip from my MD partner last night that when serving low, try to serve/target the middle of the body of the receiving person. He mentioned that this will force the receiver to lift the shuttle most probably in the middle of the court rather than towards the two outer boxes in the rear court if i serve on the right or left side of the receiver. I tried but since this is a new target for me my serves needs some adjustments.

I usually aim near the service line T when serving low. Any comments on this tip?

2. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    won't make too much diference at an advanced level...if your playing with low quality players who dont actually know how to play doubles properly then most likely they will lift to the centre of the court or make a mistake if its served straight towards their body.

But at higher levels expect the shuttle to come straight back at you or have a tight net return. Even more advanced players can do pretty much whatever they like as long as they are not caught by surprise. (normally only done with flick serves)

3. neavalmi0421

neavalmi0421 Regular Member

New Product Development
    i agree with that with advance players who are positioning themselves near the service line when receiving serve.

So is aiming for the T in the service line for the low serve is still the proper target when serving low backhand?

4. Mathieu

Mathieu Regular Member

Student
    In my opinion, it's important to observe your opponent's receiving stance and to adapt your serve in consequence, especially if he is an agressive receiver. For instance, if you realise that your opponent almost always receives your serves using his backhand, then you might want to aim your serve so that it is ackward for him to play a backhand reception.

Of course, the most important parts about the low serve is that it has to be short, low, consistent and hard to attack. This should always be your priority when serving short in doubles.

5. jk1980

jk1980 Regular Member

Most advanced players I've seen will take the serve at the top to the net, before it can even start dipping down.
    If your shuttle has a chance to reach the body of the player, then probably yeah....serving towards the body has some advantages.

6. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Service takes a lot of confidence. Most non advance player will not focus much on this or even take time to practice it. It's good to analyse your service and focus on getting the shuttle just over the tape and direct it to the T joint.

If you try to be gungho and varies your service, it will impair your consistency and confidence. ;)

So, just do it and stick to it. It will be good in the long run. The safest option. ;)

The professionals don't train or do it for nothing. Hope this tips helps. ;)

7. mds14

mds14 Regular Member

whats is the criteria of low backhand serve so we don't get a fault by the referee?

8. jk1980

jk1980 Regular Member

racquet head must be down.
    when you hit the shuttle must be below the waist

9. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

remeber that If you think that the person is going to anticipate your serve then you should flick serve to catch them out :D