Confidence is simply gone...:(

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by bluesunshine, May 12, 2009.

1. bluesunshine

bluesunshine New Member

Hi everyone,

I've got a question of a different kind...

I am really frustrated at the moment and hope you guys have some tips for me.

I played Badminton for a long time (18 years now) and steadily developed my playing style and techniques. I guess I am kind of an average good player, but since two years I have been training hardcore, because I really wanted to catch up on some of friends. Everything was going ok and my coach even told me that I was about to go into the Rep teams for this season. However when we had the Trials on, I decided not to go for it, simply because I would have not been able to make it due to work. I really wanted to and it strikes me like I may have made a big mistake. Now since then my performance has dropped sharply. I lost my confidence, I loose most of my games, my technique has just disappeared like dust in the wind. I haven't changed anything in terms of technique; I am still training as normal. I don't understand it !! I have never experienced something like that before ? What's happening with me ? How can all this just go ???

I feel really down at the moment.

Has anybody else experienced something similar ? What can I do to get my confidence back ? What brings me back on the path to myself ?

Thanks for your comments.

Cheers

2. grhm2356

grhm2356 Regular Member

I noticed several times in my game that some brakes in play can be very helpful. Maybe if you stop going to the court for a couple of weeks, and just do some physical training elsewhere, you get your game up again.

Why? You will miss badminton and get "hungry" to step into the court, at least with me it does the trick! ;)

3. 3radius

3radius Regular Member

try playing some opponents that you are weaker than you, it will boost your confidence, read up on some badminton FAQ and perhaps some training videos for mental strength

4. afkaristan

afkaristan Regular Member

student
    just put in your mind that u r the winner

and you'll win...

5. TrueBlue

TrueBlue Regular Member

motiv

you lost ur motivation because you didnt compete in this trials.

6. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    maybe it's your down peak...

7. darkwingduck

darkwingduck Regular Member

Nothing
    it did go downwards for me a month ago, but then i watched some pro matches and leartn some tecniques I didnt notice before and its going upwards again. Just longing to practice those ultimate moves. :cool:

8. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

you need to play people who you know that you are comfortably netted than then you will get your confidence back
    Maybe taking a small break would also help and then you will be fresher and be back with more confidence

9. pchospital

pchospital Regular Member

PC servcing and DIY PC
    Confidence and goal

Though i m not a psychologist but looking at the way u wrote (I played Badminton for a long time (18 years now) and steadily developed my playing style and techniques. I guess I am kind of an average good player, but since two years I have been training hardcore, because I really wanted to catch up on some of friends. Everything was going ok and my coach even told me that I was about to go into the Rep teams for this season.)
    Could it that u were too self conceited? Always think you still have room to improve should help correct it. Even if we are very good and Pro; i m quite doubtful that in Singapore, Sports can make a living unlike in some other countries!:D
    No matter what , we still must make a living and this is Singapore:) I do not know what is your goal to play badminton. Mine is to keep fit:D

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It's true that the target has been lost.

The trials will have told you how far you have really come in the past two years. Players have different motivation.

Those who play for fitness will not need a high target.

Those who have been training seriously need competitions to maintain interest. Otherwise, why train with such intensity?

But, in the life of a competitive player, there are good phases and stagnant phases. This may be a stagnant phase that needs time to pass.

11. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Every good player has its ups and downs. It's the focus. Most probably due to this miss out reason. Put a target of what you want to achieve. eg. Trying to beat a player whom you find it hard. This will propel you to greater heights. ;) You just need some target or motivation to get it going. Did your coach have a good talk with you? ;)

12. Kobold

Kobold New Member

University student
    Well something similar happened to me. I had to opportunity to play for the U19 province team but I never went to trials because I thought there's no way in hell I'd make it but two friends (whom I could beat without too much trouble) went and made it. That depressed me because everyone started disregarding me and my ability and started idolizing these two...

... the best therapy? Beat them! Take a week break, just do some jogging or whatever and go back, challenge one of them to a "fun" game and beat them to hell. You'll feel worlds better, I know I did.

13. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    happend to me plenty of times mate its all down to motivational loss. You need to have a talk with your coach and set some future goals for your badminton. Stick to your training and guidlines and "WANT" to achieve that goal.
    Youl get there if you really want that goal but if you dont it will show.

But other than that everyone has lapses in their games. Its something you just need to step back cheer up and progress onwards with.