User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you strength/weight/cardio train?

Voters
804. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, regularly

307 38.18%
  • Yes, occasionally

295 36.69%
  • No, I don't need to

42 5.22%
  • No, I don't have the time/willpower/whatever

160 19.90%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can only ever recommend weight training for badminton. I started playing regularly about a year ago and started regular gym since January of this year. I can safely say that my technique, ability to lunge further and run longer have been vastly improved via weight training.

I currently go to the gym 3 times a week and use a routine made by one of my local county badminton players, this involves working legs, chest and back. Only working these areas of your body, I use compound exercises which improve muscle strength and size but also (and vital) it strengthens your joints as your shoulders, elbows and knees are the main things used each and every day of these 3 gym days. I don't need to stress how good having a strong shoulder can do for your game.

If you don't go too over the top, weight training is the perfect thing for anyone, I now smash like a demon because my arm is stronger and I can keep a good stance and recover better because of a stronger core and legs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rellz View Post
    I can only ever recommend weight training for badminton. I started playing regularly about a year ago and started regular gym since January of this year. I can safely say that my technique, ability to lunge further and run longer have been vastly improved via weight training.

I currently go to the gym 3 times a week and use a routine made by one of my local county badminton players, this involves working legs, chest and back. Only working these areas of your body, I use compound exercises which improve muscle strength and size but also (and vital) it strengthens your joints as your shoulders, elbows and knees are the main things used each and every day of these 3 gym days. I don't need to stress how good having a strong shoulder can do for your game.

If you don't go too over the top, weight training is the perfect thing for anyone, I now smash like a demon because my arm is stronger and I can keep a good stance and recover better because of a stronger core and legs.
    could you share your routine?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

google for stronglift 5x5 or WKM

parallel (means below parallel) squats, bench press, overhead press, deadlift, barbell rows

thats what i do
    i cannot say how much it improved my badminton since i am relatively new to badminton and i was the fittest player in my club already when I joined, but i definitely feel a lot stronger since i do those exercises regularely
    Last edited by OhSearsTower; 06-16-2012 at 09:21 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for my legs, i just do jogging 5-6km 3-4 times a week and do backward uphill too...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just started weight training a month ago. I can say that it helped with my endurance and strength. I have a bodybuilding trainor who adjusted my program according to my sport (i.e., badminton). My objective is to get lean muscles like that of Lin Dan. Hahaha. But mainly, I want to improve my performance on court.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did the following from Dr. Eaton's Upper Extremity Conditioning + various planking and squats. The upper extremity conditioning is easy to do and I started with using 1kg only(now at 2kg). No more pain.

Here is the link .. try it out. http://www.eatonhand.com/hw/nirschl.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can i do daily for weight training? right now my dumbell only 2kg n 3kg... and i am 162cm with 61kg weight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also as well as general weight training what would be good would something that targets the pronation and supination muscles in the forearm. I'm sure I once saw an handle you can twist, which caused constant resistance throughout motion, on the internet. Can't find it now though

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bbirdman View Post
    Also as well as general weight training what would be good would something that targets the pronation and supination muscles in the forearm. I'm sure I once saw an handle you can twist, which caused constant resistance throughout motion, on the internet. Can't find it now though
    Just simply swinging a racket with a racket head cover on would be enough resistance to strengthen those forearm muscles.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    Just simply swinging a racket with a racket head cover on would be enough resistance to strengthen those forearm muscles.
    EVen betterthan weight training since it works the muscles at a fast pace. The best forearm workout in my experience: pull-ups/chin-ups on various bars (different diameters) and defense drills with a heavy racket. If you want to improve your smash as well, get a racket had cover and do 5-10 minutes of smashing with it on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lunges done properly are good too, static, moving, weighted and twisting

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, anything training a muscle below the waist can generally be considered beneficial for badminton Upper body, you have to take care not to go too heavy and/or too slow, and incorporate lots of exercises for those pesky fast-twitch and deep muscles. Training with a swingstick (elastic stick with weights on both ends) has been proven to work deep and small back muscles WAY more effectively than regular weight training, I've been told.
    Same goes for pretty much any area of the body - weight training is a very good start, but should not be the main focus. For legs, specific exercises for footwork coordination and explosive strength are more important, for the upper body, stability exercises involving fast and twisting movements are vital.

If you don't have some injury problem or specific muscle weakness, doing squats, lunges, dead-lifts, pull-ups, and benchpresses should be enough weight training.
    The rest of the strength/stability training should be done with therabands, medicine balls and swingbars.

Oh, and doing drills on those pesky stability platforms (basically wobbly soft cushions). Apparently quite important for your feet/calves - not working out those muscles may result in Achilles tendon problems, as I'm experiencing right now

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My shins used to hurt after or during sessions. Working on my calves pretty much fixed that for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j4ckie View Post
    Well, anything training a muscle below the waist can generally be considered beneficial for badminton Upper body, you have to take care not to go too heavy and/or too slow, and incorporate lots of exercises for those pesky fast-twitch and deep muscles. Training with a swingstick (elastic stick with weights on both ends) has been proven to work deep and small back muscles WAY more effectively than regular weight training, I've been told.
    Same goes for pretty much any area of the body - weight training is a very good start, but should not be the main focus. For legs, specific exercises for footwork coordination and explosive strength are more important, for the upper body, stability exercises involving fast and twisting movements are vital.

If you don't have some injury problem or specific muscle weakness, doing squats, lunges, dead-lifts, pull-ups, and benchpresses should be enough weight training.
    The rest of the strength/stability training should be done with therabands, medicine balls and swingbars.

Oh, and doing drills on those pesky stability platforms (basically wobbly soft cushions). Apparently quite important for your feet/calves - not working out those muscles may result in Achilles tendon problems, as I'm experiencing right now
    Agree with most of this apart form idea of avoiding heavy slow weight training. The purpose of weight training is to build muscle, nothing else really. Heavy and slow builds fast twitch muscles which is needed to create high speeds.

Pro players generally have powerful legs relative to modest upper body.

All that been said having great technique is infinitely superior to any muscle building.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slow and heavy does not build fast twitch muscle. It builds slow, powerful muscle - training for explosiveness always has to be explosive. Of course you can go heavy (to a certain extent), but the explosive movement should always last less than 1 second, 2 at the most for squats (which have a rather large motion).
    That being said, there is a lot of controversy about the rep range. Some coaches advertise max strength training, which aims at a 3-6 range, while others prefer moderate repititions (8-12, sometimes more). For me, moderate range has less noticeable effect than max strength training. It's less stressful on the joints though.
    I've also seen some videos of players doing high rep sets (20-30), which is the strength endurance range and is often not seen as beneficial for badminton as it doesn't really improve on your max strength (=>explosiveness). I guess that's the easiest on the joints and can be done with the least care and knowledge, but also has the smallest benefits (unless you only play badminton like once a week, in which case it's probably rather helpful).

Edit: I'm not referring to back exercises, btw. Those should always be done at moderate or slow speed to avoid injuries, and explosiveness there should be trained with medicine balls, swingbars, therabands etc.
    Last edited by j4ckie; 07-15-2013 at 11:20 AM.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9