User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you strength/weight/cardio train?

Voters
804. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, regularly

307 38.18%
  • Yes, occasionally

295 36.69%
  • No, I don't need to

42 5.22%
  • No, I don't have the time/willpower/whatever

160 19.90%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here you can get infos about badminton weight training, i find it helpfull:

http://www.topracket.com/Badmintology/index.php

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the routine!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good info thx !!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lin Dan-Fan
    Go to bodybuilding.com and check out the forum.
    There are many much better websites out there than bodybuilding.com for sports training information. Training for sport performance has different requirements than training for large muscles. Unfortunately, many athletes follow too much of a "bodybuilder" style workout plan that isn't optimized for their performance.

http://www.t-nation.com has good info on sports nutrition, maximal strength training, how to plan your training to avoid structural imbalances that eventually lead to joint problems, general physical preparation, etc.

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com gives a very good explanation of how strength training and plyometrics training work together to develop power.

http://www.elitefts.com is mostly a powerlifting website (maximum strength development) but they do have good articles on things like periodization, strength training, etc.

http://inno-sport.net is a sports training system which goes into great detail about how to manipulate training variables and exercise types for power development.

What these sites have in common is that they contain training articles by high-end sports and conditioning coaches. That's like having the equivalent of a professional badminton coach writing training articles here. There are great resources out there on the internet, you just have to know where to find them!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave18
    I did work out prior to the badminton season but when the season started, I seldom have time to work out because if I worked out, the next day I had badminton and I would be sore so i was not able to incorporate any work out time.

Now that the season is over, back to working out.

Just wondering, do squats work out anything else other than quads?

I guess we can say...
    Squats work everything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, squats work everything... but it depends somewhat on the type and range with which you do them.

Squats in the top range will work the quads, but when you get nice and deep, the glutes and hamstrings will take up a big part of the work. Problem is, at the gym it seems that most people prefer to stick with the easier top range and stop before getting to the lower range, resulting in unbalanced levels of strength between the knee extensors and the hip extensors.

Meanwhile, the rest of your body is in an isometric contraction to transfer the force from your legs into the weight. There are many positions in which to hold the weight - on your back, overhead, front of the shoulders, crook of the arm, etc. each with its own respective challenges. The results from this aspect of squats is that wonderful quality called core strength.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stumblingfeet
    Yeah, squats work everything... but it depends somewhat on the type and range with which you do them.

Squats in the top range will work the quads, but when you get nice and deep, the glutes and hamstrings will take up a big part of the work. Problem is, at the gym it seems that most people prefer to stick with the easier top range and stop before getting to the lower range, resulting in unbalanced levels of strength between the knee extensors and the hip extensors.

Meanwhile, the rest of your body is in an isometric contraction to transfer the force from your legs into the weight. There are many positions in which to hold the weight - on your back, overhead, front of the shoulders, crook of the arm, etc. each with its own respective challenges. The results from this aspect of squats is that wonderful quality called core strength.

Ya, i try to focus more muscles on my legs, and try to just develop and tone different muscles around my arm. Plus wrist training too. But i don't do too much cardio, which as a badminton player is prob more important than muscles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by a_n_d_y
    Ya, i try to focus more muscles on my legs, and try to just develop and tone different muscles around my arm. Plus wrist training too. But i don't do too much cardio, which as a badminton player is prob more important than muscles.
    Cardio definitely helps a badminton player, as well as shed unneeded fat deposits. However, dont think that weight training won't train your heart to an extent as well! High intensity workouts generally means using weights you can have a max of 8 or so reps with and have less than 60 secs between each set. I dare you to tell me that your heart isn't beating like crazy after a wonderful session of squatting.

So to say that cardio is more important is debatable but IMO, when you have the best of both worlds, you'll be a killer athlete. Look at Lindan, i tend to believe that hes winning more of the fact that hes so damn healthy and strong. Balance is the key!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also here is a type: dont over do it first day back, haha i do this every year and i always regret it, for the next 2 days it hurt to walk, my legs were so stiff that i also had to crawl up stairs and for the next week my body was still sore, haha but its gone now and it only happens first day back im glad its over hahaha now i can go all out and only take a day to recover play hard guys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PandaLord View Post
    Balance is the key!
    Completely agree with you pandalord...I think weight training is just as important. Building up the quick firing muscles in your body can be a real advantage in a game, especially if you're an attacking player. Probably shouldn't go as far as building up a lot of bulk, but strength training would definitely help.

Cardio to keep up your stamina and strength to give you that extra edge over your opponent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More muscles don't really affect my game play, and I've gained 20 lbs since I started badminton. For me, it's all about the <<whip>>. For others, muscles matter more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PandaLord View Post
    Cardio definitely helps a badminton player, as well as shed unneeded fat deposits. However, dont think that weight training won't train your heart to an extent as well! High intensity workouts generally means using weights you can have a max of 8 or so reps with and have less than 60 secs between each set. I dare you to tell me that your heart isn't beating like crazy after a wonderful session of squatting.

So to say that cardio is more important is debatable but IMO, when you have the best of both worlds, you'll be a killer athlete. Look at Lindan, i tend to believe that hes winning more of the fact that hes so damn healthy and strong. Balance is the key!

Weights that lets you do 8 reps max, Will that like slow you down in the long run? I was told to use a lighter weight that allows 12-15 reps max. Go down slow and push the bar up fast.

I wanna ask, which is better for developing those explosive muscle.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jas1121 View Post
    Weights that lets you do 8 reps max, Will that like slow you down in the long run? I was told to use a lighter weight that allows 12-15 reps max. Go down slow and push the bar up fast.

I wanna ask, which is better for developing those explosive muscle.
    Lighter weights that you do fast repetitions with...
    But imo better to start off with raw base strength with heavier weights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice, exactly what i was looking for

Btw, is there any special machines or exercises u can do in the gym do get more explosiveness?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

btw i think the more exact word i was looking for was "springiness"

What exercises is good to improve "springiness" or the ability to jump high :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gustaff View Post
    btw i think the more exact word i was looking for was "springiness"

What exercises is good to improve "springiness" or the ability to jump high :P
    I believe the term you're looking for is "stiffness" or "reactive ability." Here's one good thread on how to develop that physical trait:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...highlight=inno

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default weight training

Before i played badminton i mainly did cross country and athletics, so i was very skinny. Then i played badminton and my coach made me do push ups (100+) most sessions, my strength increased dramatically, now i have recently started to go to the gym and weight train. concentrating mainly on my shoulders, chest, triceps, biceps and probably most important, abs and lower back. Abs and back are your core muscles and bring alot of power to your smashes. Also i have heard when weight training , if you want to build alot of bulk you should do less reps but with bigger weights, but for more form(which is what you should aim for in badminton) you should use smaller weights but doing more reps. I think if you keep this in mind and don't over do it weight training can only benefit your badminton experience and keep you interested in playing and improving.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast