my aim??? its all messed up

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Bob, Feb 16, 2001.

1. Bob

Bob Guest

did anyone ever experience the same thing? all of the sudden, for the last few practices, alot of my returns, have been banging off the frame instead of the strings!!! anyone know whats wrong?

2. Canyt

Canyt Guest

I have no idea what's wrong...since I'm not majoring in psychology...but try to take a break from badminton for a while.. like for a week or two..and watch others play...then practice back...it worked for me:p good luck!

3. Mark

Mark Guest

I think this happens to everyone from time to time. I can certainly remember some nightmare evenings of shots.

I reckon it could be the body, just updet in some way. Bit tired, stressed, hormones out of balance affecting reactions and co-ordination etc etc something like that.

Have you had less sleep lately, been drinking a lot, playing a different sport etc etc.

It will pass, I think!!

Mark

4. May

May Guest

That's ryt.

5. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I can't say i agree or disagree. Its happened to me before. Sometimes when i change my racket or when i'm just...... having a bad day.....

6. Bob

Bob Guest

hmm, it sounds kinda right. sleeping less, ya, and some other things. think i'll just take a break for a week and rest up, see what happens.
    thanks =)

7. smashguru

smashguru Regular Member

CTO
    I think one of the resolutions to this common problem, is to play lightly and practice using touch strokes for about 20-30 minutes. Then you can start to hit a little harder and harder. This corrects your timing more. Why? It's a matter of hitting the shuttle consistently and then developing the same stroke until you get it right again.

8. Bob

Bob Guest

hm.....going to practice tommorow... so i think i'll try that.
    i have bad luck. its doing this during the ladder matches... =(

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yeah. right on, smashguru.

also, pay a lot of attention when you warm up. conciously try to aim the shuttle to specific places, say, the two corners. same for drops and lift.

10. Bob

Bob Guest

hhmmm, first day didn't work, but then miracles dont' happen. i'll just have to work at it more. see if maybe a few more days should fix it

11. viver

viver Regular Member

You mentioned about ladder matches. Does that happen more frequently during your ladder matches than during your practices? Could anxiety in the ladder tournaments/matches influence your normal play?

12. Bob

Bob Guest

whoa, never thought of that!
    a very good point, it very well might be. and if its true, it might get worse >.<
    i've already messed up two matches becuase of it.

it happens in both, but happens more often then i would like in the games. i'll have to keep working at the practices, those drills the others have been mentioning, and hope for the best.

thanks ya all ^_^

13. newbie

newbie Guest

Sounds familiar to me. Fixed my problem by hitting an old shuttle against the wall.

14. Bob

Bob Guest

i haven't tried that in a long time now, but i can try it when i get a chance. thanks!

oh, and i was wondering, is there a machine similar to that tennis one that spits out the tennis balls at you for practice, but only it would spit out shuttles?

15. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    There sure is. Check this one out, for instance:

http://www.sport-teknik.se/

16. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Shuttle feeder

Just for fun, I e-mailed them and asked about the price. It's a real bargain at roughly 11,000 USD! I wonder if they've actually sold any units... maybe to the Sultan of Brunei?

17. Bob

Bob Guest

Re: Shuttle feeder

11k usd? whoa, thats crazy, hahaha
    rather buy a friend lunch in exchange for spending a whole bunch of hours of doing nothing but feeding me shots hehe

anyone here consider getting one?? haha

18. Mark

Mark Guest

Re: Shuttle feeder

I'd love one, why not.

But, I'd also like a badminton court in my garden!

How lovely would that be. Wake up a bit early one morning, just popped out to the court, put the machine a clear and smash a couple of hundred shuttles.

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRR, imagine that! ;-)>

Mark

19. Bob

Bob Guest

Re: Shuttle feeder + messed up aim

i wonder if that 11k pricetag comes with those couple hundred shuttles? haha

hey hey, my returns getting better, thanks to the advice of you ppl. thx thx ya all

^_^

20. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Sounds like the above suggestions are good ones. I would also advise you to see if you have made any changes lately that might be giving you problems, or if not, try making a reasonable change of routine to break your slump.

I have been playing pretty lousy the past six weeks or so, but the main reason for the slump is that I have been getting to the league a bit late and found myself relegated to warming up with and playing the first 4-5 games with beginners. I still maintain that everyone should play once in a while with beginners and help them out with tips, but I am definitely starting to have more and more sympathy with Vince Poon and his friends' position about a month ago - it's awfully hard to suddenly switch on the power or the accuracy when you have been playing easy, forgiving shots with beginners for an hour. Solution: I will have to get there much earlier and play with the better players from the start, on a more frequent basis.

I also had a pretty unique experience a few weeks ago. Toward the end of the night I was playing doubles with the best player in our league as my partner against two of the stronger doubles players in our league, which, if I was playing well, should have been a reasonable match. That was not the case in our first game, unfortunately. We were playing front and back while serving, (how I usually play), but I was slow getting into position a lot (I wasn't having to move much in my earlier matches) and generally was just not hitting my shots well. After we (well, mostly I) lost the first game something like 15-6, my partner suggested that we switch to side-by-side for both serving and receiving. For some reason, that change broke me out of my slump and I was not only getting to shots quickly, but hitting a lot more winners. We ended up winning the next two games 15-8 and 15-4.