User Tag List

View Poll Results: Ethics?

Voters
414. You may not vote on this poll
  • take the point figuring that it will even out anyways

170 41.06%
  • inform the ump and lose the point (game, match)

126 30.43%
  • ask for a let (if even possible)

88 21.26%
  • other

30 7.25%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What the coach says is final.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by offscott View Post
    What the coach says is final.
    You mean the umpire?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In provincial tournament I go to, there is no line judges... You can have them if you start to think that your opponent cheats with the line and ask for some judges and if you are in finals. Even there, I think that there is no Umpire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honesty is the best policy here. If it's in, tell the umpire it is.

I saw this happen in a table tennis match before. Nobody really knew whether the ball touched the top of the table or the side. The players wanted to give the point to each other and had a standoff for about 5 minutes. In the end, they agreed to play a let.

If the shuttle was blatantly in, I'd give the point away. If it was close, then I'd ask my opponent(s) if they were happy to play a let.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i will ask for a let.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My son was playing a very important game of mixed, when the following happened

He was wating to receivd serve
    It was served & he left it thinking it was short
    The shuttle landed and he passed it back to the server, giving them the point
    The referee over ruled him saying it was short & the point was his
    My son then went on to disagree with the referee and insisted that the point was given to the oppostion.

He lost 21 19 !!!

Afterwards he said it was so far in that he couldn't take the point

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'd ask for a let... or if i had the service or return I'd just purposefully make a mistake to give back the point if i gained a point on a bad call.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It happened at the rubber set of the 2007 French Open Men Doubles QF. KKK/TBH lost 1 point to Tadashi/Keisha and TBH sent the dead shuttle to the other side but the umpire still gave the Malaysia pair the point. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfYNkePtHjo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Linesmen:
    Singles and Doubles:
    If the shuttle landed clearly in, but was called out. The umpire should quickly overrule the call. If no overrule was issued, the call should stand. That's how the game is played. I would think since the umpire did not overrule that my judgement was incorrect. It is the umpire's responsibility that all calls are accurate. That is why they are there. I would hold no grudge against a player who agreed with the umpire if it had happen to me. I'd get mad for a while, but there is nothing as a player I can do. It's not like tennis where there is a challenge system.
    Without Linesmen:
    Singles:
    If it was close and I cannot CLEARLY tell if the shuttle was in or out, I will give the point to my opponent. Without linemen, it is the players' responsibility to make the right calls.
    Doubles:
    Unless I am right next to where the shuttle landed and clearly saw it in, I will respect my partner's decision 100% if he or she (mixed) called it out. Also, unless I was right there to see the shuttle go out, I would respect my partner's decision 100% if he or she called it in.

The situation with the Malaysian Doubles Pair:
    Although the Malaysians should have said something, the service judge, for making such a horrible call, and the umpire, for agreeing with such a horrible call, should be banned FOREVER! Having said this, the Malaysians should've said something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post

All credit to the umpire messing around!!
    What umpire should do is to overrule the linesman if it was obvious that the line judge has made a mistake (there is also a service judge on the court who can unofficially help the umpire with descret gesture (for example pointing finger down for in) showing his oppinion about in or out) ...

If not, he should go with the linesman, and insist to play on - if any of the players doesn't want to, he has a yellow and red card in his pocket and he should use them ...

So, maybe the referee should change the umpire instead of the line judge...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jnce00 View Post
    It happened at the rubber set of the 2007 French Open Men Doubles QF. KKK/TBH lost 1 point to Tadashi/Keisha and TBH sent the dead shuttle to the other side but the umpire still gave the Malaysia pair the point. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfYNkePtHjo
    I don't understand what happened here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LD rules! View Post
    KKK/TBH hit the shuttle into the net which fails to go over, and then they push the birdie over to the japanese. However, teh umpire thought that the bird hit the tape and rolled over to the japanese's side, giving the malaysians the point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jnce00 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LD rules! View Post
    Same cos the resolution on youtube is really bad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The shot landed in. If there was a line judge, which there is in most tournaments, I would accept their decision. If it was my partner, then I would correct them and agree to lose the point. This has only happened to me once before in any match situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

leave it to the linesman. Not worth the stress.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i will happily take the point and the blame goes to the linesman hehehe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a finals game in a tournament, I was playing against a friend (at the time, he was more of an acquaintance). I hit a shot which felt like it was going out, so I wasn't surprised when my opponent called it out (though it was a tough call). The umpire overruled and gave me the point, but I said that I agreed with my opponent's call and gave him the point and the serve. I think a player should have the right to give the point to their opponent if they think that the umpire made a mistake, though whether or not they exercise is a different matter.

This occurred in the second set after I had gotten a second leg cramp, so I figured I probably wasn't going to win the match anyway. Had this been at 18-18 or 19-19, I would've probably taken the point and just considered myself lucky. There's a bit of luck that's sometimes part of the game, but that's just how it is.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast