User Tag List

View Poll Results: Ethics?

Voters
414. You may not vote on this poll
  • take the point figuring that it will even out anyways

170 41.06%
  • inform the ump and lose the point (game, match)

126 30.43%
  • ask for a let (if even possible)

88 21.26%
  • other

30 7.25%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Winex West Can
    ...under the following conditions either playing in a tourney or a game?

Your opponent hits a shot that landed (obviously) in but the line judge (in tourney) or your partner (if doubles and not tourney) called it out.

If selecting other, please post your response.
    Here are two different scenarios:

Tournament/line judge calls out: I would not say anything unless the shuttle was way in the green. Then I would look at my partner and if he agreed, give the opponents the point or play a let.

Game/partner calls out: Again, I would agree/support my partner's call unless it was in the green. Then I would say to my partner quietly, the shuttle was way in. If he agrees, we either give the point or play a let. The key here is to try and support my partner's call. I will not disagree with my partner unless my partner is being completely unreasonable or completely off base.

It's just bad to go against your partner. And if your partner is truly cheating, consistently, it's time to find another partner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My answer will be, "You can't be serious!".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got to agree I'd find it hard to go against my partner shouting out, I'm not sure what I'd do in that situation to be honest; but luckily, I don't have to make that kind of decision because I've never played doubles/mixed competitively (i.e. in a league/tournament), only singles . In a social if it was called out by my partner I'd dis-agree with them, perhaps putting it in a bit of a tactful way rather than forcing it, e.g "err, I think that was out, really." and so on.

In singles, socially or in a league or tournament, if I saw and was quite sure the shuttle was in on my side but called out, I'd tell the truth and say I thought that was in, handing it to my opponent. I'd much rather win completely honestly, even if my opponent would take advantage of such an oppertunity. I'd hate a victory to be 'tainted'.

If the shuttle was called out when it was in but I didn't see it land in, tough luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! This thread is still alive after all these years. Great responses and obviously there are certain things that we cannot changed. E.g. in a formal tourney, if the line judge rule the shot to be out, the player benefiting from the call is not going to argue but good sportspersonship would dictate that you hit the next rally into the net (like Jonansen did). With the new 21-rally scoring system, we might see less of this sportspersonship as you lose points if you decided to give away your serve.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd give my opponent the point, even if meant losing the game. Calling my own lines I tend to say "ah, close enough" and give the shuttle over.

It does pay off sometimes. In the recent alberta series I did my typical "close enough (I had no real idea as I had so much sweat in my eye) ... he said "nope" and gave the shuttle back. He earned a lot of respect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honesty is the best practice. Its called sportmanship.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman
    Honesty is the best practice. Its called sportmanship.
    I know! Everyone says it! It just doesn't feel right lying/cheating

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

err no. maybe i have bad ethics but i think it's not a player's duty to rectify a bad line call. play by the rules and play to win. that's sportsmanship

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I figure if it was an important game near the end I'd ask for a reserve, but if I'm just playing with some friends I'll give them the point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung
    Unfair question,

You pose two different situations, one with a linesman, one without. Which one does your poll refer to because I would choose different answers for each situation?

I got a really good story about this... from the HK annual badminton championships.
    amen to that...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im always honest, but sometimes when it's out, they freak out and say its in and i just say whatever and let them have it anways. I hate argueing over those.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A recent major study came out indicating the ethics of high-level athletes to be of much lower 'moral quality' than compared to other university student groups.

They were more likely to cheat than not, essentially. Ethical aptitude scores were lowest among football (American), hockey, and basketball players.

Scary, eh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by westwood_13
    A recent major study came out indicating the ethics of high-level athletes to be of much lower 'moral quality' than compared to other university student groups.

They were more likely to cheat than not, essentially. Ethical aptitude scores were lowest among football (American), hockey, and basketball players.

Scary, eh?
    funny you mentioned three teamsports as well...

at higehr levels people do everything to win, unfortunatly including cheating..with team-sports the pressure is even higher...

for badminton, I fidn the A player much more fair to other A's..than C's amongst each other...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Winex West Can
    That's the point of the poll. We refer to badminton as a gentleman's sports but yet we are already discussing about taking a point even though the shot was obviously in.
    It would not be gentlemanly to embarrass the lines man and possibly casue him to lose his job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

being a linesmen is not a job...it's called "volunteering"

either way,
    in a normal situation (no ump/linesmen) I'd call it in. There's now way I could live with myself if I didn't

with a linesmen, I'd say he's right. he/she is sitting square on the line and has a much better view of the line.
    If it was clearly in (the case where a linesmen would be blind as a bat) I'd inform the ump...but in all honesty, I've never seen it happen...

I have, on one occasion, "embarassed" an ump (as CD calls it). my opponent hit a crosscourt netshot, away from the ump. It was a beauty and landed in. Ump said out, I said 'nope'...
    Afterwards (I was 15) I got a compliment from the ump (being a good sport), and all was well...
    and yes, he still has his "job"...I see him on occasions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wrong line calls either by players or linesmen happen all the time and its unavoidable, so its up to the players to make the decision, which is morally acceptable to them. When I'm playing games, I try to be as fair as possible. ie. Theres several times I thought the birdy would be out the second before it was landing and I made a call, but the birdy was in or touched the line after landing, I changed the call to favour my opponent. In some situations, I just gave the point when there were doubtful calls. (I know sometimes its stupid to be honest like that, but why bother to make myself a lier just because of a point or two in a game?)
    Well, but there are always unreasonable people outthere... In a tourney for peoples in my university campus, I played with a girl in the final (since there were only a few girls joined the game, so they were put in the same pool as guys.. anyways, she was good thats why she got into final..) Theres once the birdy landed very close to the single's service line on the backcourt of my side, it was out so I made a call. That girl looked at me as if I was lying and said "it was in". There weren't any linesmen or judges, so it should be the player who was closest to the birdy to make the decision. She didn't believe me and made it sound as if I was trying to rip her off. Anyways, as a gentleman, I just gave her the point, but it sure affected my mood for the rest of the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At my last tournament, in my singles there was a suspect call for me. I hit a attacking clear which landed out by 3-4 inches. Clearly I thought it was OUT. Umpire called IN. Opposition hit the shuttle back to me. And I hit it back to him and took up posistion ready to receive the serve.

The umpire looked at the opposition and myself and didn't dispute his call at all.

If the shuttle is close to the line, and a call cannot be made decisively, and it's called out/in after deliberation. I will make a point of looking at the umpire for clarification, or the linesman.

What I dont agree with is when a umpire/linesman cannot make a clear decison, didn't see the line etc. And after thinking about the answer makes a decison. A umpire/linesman as I can see needs to make a decison straight away, right or wrong or play a let.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast