What would you do...

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Winex West Can, Sep 15, 2002.

?

Ethics?

1. take the point figuring that it will even out anyways

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. inform the ump and lose the point (game, match)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ask for a let (if even possible)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    ...under the following conditions either playing in a tourney or a game?

Your opponent hits a shot that landed (obviously) in but the line judge (in tourney) or your partner (if doubles and not tourney) called it out.

If selecting other, please post your response.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Unfair question,

You pose two different situations, one with a linesman, one without. Which one does your poll refer to because I would choose different answers for each situation?

I got a really good story about this... from the HK annual badminton championships.

3. gerry

gerry Regular Member

I'm in total agreement Cheung, in my case with a linesman I would leave it, for me his decision is final (right or wrong), without a linesman I would rectify my partners call.

Maybe the poll should be changed to be more specific.

Would love to read your story from the HK ABC.

4. Winex West Can

Hi Tech
    That's the point of the poll. We refer to badminton as a gentleman's sports but yet we are already discussing about taking a point even though the shot was obviously in. :)

Let say that you are playing in a tourney without the use of linesmen and ump. Would you have taken the point, then? Remember it is still a tourney where prizes/money are at stake.

In snooker, another gentleman's game/sport, the players do call themselves out if the referee didn't notice the violation.

And Cheung, now that you got us posters curious about your story so do please share :D

#4 Winex West Can, Sep 15, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2002
  5. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    in but called out:
    line judge - pay them the 20 bucks like you promised
    partner - keep him/her...

out but called in:
    line judge - wait for them in the parking lot - take out the knees if first offence.
    partner - whack on the side of the head immediately, something vewwy wong wiff dem...

honestly though. in a tournament, lines judges may make good and bad calls. unless the umpire or ref overrules. accept this as one in your favour, knowing that it could happen just the same the other way. besides, it would be up to your opponent to contest a bad line call.

if you are playing for fun, you could quietly ask your partner what weed he is smoking, shrug your shoulder and play on. or just pass the bird back to your opponent and play a let.

6. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi,

If someone called it in/out, i would take it. No doubt the same is happening on the other side, so just accept it and play on...

Matt

7. Californian

Californian Regular Member

In the case of an official making the call, don't you have to accept it either way--for or against you? Protesting a call against you doesn't change anything, so why would it the other way.

In the case of no official making the call, but rather a partner, it may not be so simple. If you are certain you saw it in, what if he/she seems equally certain they saw it out? How well do you know your partner? Is he/she someone you know would try to cheat on a call? Who had the best view, or was closest to it? Do you want an argument on the court with your own partner? Wouldn't you discuss it first? Remember, you have to continue playing with this person.

In my own personal cases, if there's any doubt, I would just play a let. I know there are players out there who would be offended if their judgement was questioned, but I've never had one for a partner (and I wouldn't if I had a choice).

8. Eva

Eva Regular Member

If it's in an official game with linejudges I would just accept the call of the linesman.. It kind of happend to me at a tournament.. It was gamepoint and the ball was inside the court but the linesman called it out.. I just started changing court :confused::rolleyes:.. they obviously were complaining:mad:. I really felt guilty but on international tournaments they do the same thing to you!

When I play an match with just a judge I would just inform him and be honest...

9. Tezta.com

Tezta.com Regular Member

I stay at home as much as possible
    I remember once during the 98 thomas cup, Dong Jiong played a net shot that was clearly in and Kenneth Jonassen hit the bird back to Dong, the line judge called it out and the Umpire said the call was final. Ofcourse Dong was pissed and started pointing at the line judge, Kenneth was a good sport as he knew the shot was totally in, and served the bird directly into the middle of the net. THat was a very nice gesture, and turns out Kenneth won that match.:)

10. nSmash

nSmash Regular Member

Computer Engineer
    Now who said that nice guys finish last? ;) :D
    Long live gentlemen in badminton! :)

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Tezta, were you there at the HK ABC watching the match between Lin Wan Ting and Koon Wai Chee (S/f ladies singles)? Did you see the incident?

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Guess Tezta wasn;t there?:)

Anyway so it's s/f between Ling Wan Ting (HK no.2) and Koon Wai Chee(HK no.3)

Ling WT hits a shot to the deep forehand corner that's called in by the linesman.
    Koon WC protests a lot.
    Umpire confirms with linesman.
    Lots of discussion continue with Koon saying the shuttle was obviously out.
    Play has stopped for a few minutes.

Everybody watching other matches(I'm sitting quite far away) now knows something is up.

Two people behind me (strike up a conversation) a guy and a women. The women must be a Koon WC supporter saying the point should be given to Koon WC. The guy says the umpire cannot overrule the linesman. The women says the shuttle was obviously out so the point should be Koon WC's. AT this point I can't resist butting in with my big mouth:D and say the linesman cannot be overruled and the point should be Ling WT's (but the linesman can be changed). The women gets a bit annoyed somebody has butted in and says "but it was definately out. The (morally) right thing to do is to give the point to Koon WC".
    My reply is "Don't care(!). The rules state clearly linesman cannot be overruled even if shuttle clearly out"
    The women protests again but I said "It doesn't matter what you think. The rules say xxxx so the rules gotta be followed". The women goes off sulking.

Back to the match.
    Amazingly, the umpire after some deliberation (who has umpired in HK Open and should know her stuff) orders a 'let' to be played.
    This obviously pisses off Ling Wan Ting big time who now gets into the argumentative mood.

The umpire deliberates again consulting the tournament referee. The linesman is changed and I think the point is given to Ling WT (memory bit hazy now. It was 3 months ago:) )

Both women are well and truly pissed off by this time and the match carries on. Ling WT makes more mistakes though and eventually Koon WC makes less mistakes to win the match.

I think the match stops for nearly ten minutes while all this is going on.
    Excellent stuff though, it certainly livened up the evening.

All credit to the umpire messing around!!

13. Winex West Can

Hi Tech
    To summarize:
    First of all, the poll as pointed out by others is probably not quite fair but I can't edit the options.

Most folks will take the point (a number indicated that the line judge has the ultimate responsibility for the lines). A number of you also indicated that if you could, you would refuse the point.

Definitely, in a social game, all would give the point. I think in most social games, the one closest to the shuttle has the ultimate authority.

Tetza's story about Kenneth Jonassen highlight the essence of good sportsmanship. Knowing that the call was incorrect but unable to do anything about it, Kenneth loses the next point on purpose. We have been taught as kids that winning isn't everything but how you play the game define you as a person & player.

Cheung. Nice story about the HK women singles. :D

Cheers,
    Thanks for taking part in the poll.

Favour to ask of the moderators. Can you guys please close off the poll?

14. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Other - as I do at present hit the next serve into the net in an obvious way so everyone knows what has just happened.

The same if I am playing with a new doubles partner who makes a bad call, next serve goes straight into the net, I hate cheats!!! :mad:

But why was this moved to the top of the board after so long???

#14 Dill, Jun 7, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2005
  15. Trance

Trance Regular Member

Student ;)
    Maybe you should close threads after a year -_-. Either that or Dill's just gonna spam ancient topics.

16. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    I don't know but in a way , I'm sort of glad it did :) ... I mean these are some very interesting topics ;) ...

17. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Actually I posted because it was back up the top of the discussion board, it was put there by someone else voting in the poll, not me posting :p

You can't really close threads after a year, when new people come to the site and do a search are we to deprive tehm of the ability to post on a topic? Thats why the discussion is cyclic.

Maybe closing the polls after a year :eek: , a couple of months might be better ;)

#17 Dill, Jun 7, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2005
  18. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

I can confirm that voting does indeed bump a post.

It looks like BF's sorting system goes by when any content within a thread is appended, not when the last post is made. Probably a bug as other vb forums doesn't do this.

19. Dill

Dill Regular Member

As I remember Kwun changed the way polls are viewed by the software a while back so they would just act like a thread, if someone voted it would be as if they posted a reply and the poll would be moved back up the rankings.

But being open afer such a long time :confused:

20. Pball

Pball Regular Member

Very Nice indeed..

I usually inform the umpire if I am certain it is in... up to him to reverse the call or not.. with shot that I'm not sure of .. I leave the decision to the linesman/umpire..

regards