Best return of smash?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Derek S-H, May 15, 2009.

1. Derek S-H

Derek S-H Regular Member

Care Worker
    I suppose there isn't a definitive answer to this query, but I thought I'd ask anyway!

When I started playing the game I was told to only clear as a last resort, that it would inevitably lead to a hard smash and being on the defensive.

Over the years, I've learnt not to fear anyone's smash, but I've noticed in most of the tournament footage I've seen that smashes tend to be returned as a series of high clears (mainly in Doubles, Singles players tend to play drives or pushes).

My instinct in returning a smash is to play a drive or pushed return, something flat or low, not another high clear. So why do the pros do that?

What do you do?

Derek

2. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    The goal for pros is to keep the high lifts going to make the smashes less penetrating, and then waiting for a weak smash to turn around the attack.

3. Derek S-H

Derek S-H Regular Member

Care Worker
    And what do you do?
    Derek

4. Athelete1234

Student
    Well...I have awful defense, so I try to eliminate their attack asap. So, I try to return with flat drives to an empty corner, or block to the midcourt, so our side gets the attack soon.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    you should not equate what you do with the pros. they are around 8 level above us in terms of speed, power, court coverage and techniques.

6. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

I think the reason for the continued lifts at high level badminton is that they fear that anything else will be cut off and put away by the front man.

Those guys are so fast at the front, you can't sneak anything flat by them. So they just take the chance with the lifts.

7. Athelete1234

Student
    Very good point!

8. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    everything is based on the quality of the samsh. Since the pro's smash is so steep and fast, it is difficult to turn the attack around (which is what youre trying to do if you block it or drive it back) especially with a world class player covering the net. A high lift tires the opponents player for so long as you are confident you can keep returning the smashes. So like athelete1234 said, they wait for a weaker smash that isnt as steep and fast that they can take high up and turn the attack around.

Personally, im always hunting for a "step in - drive back fast and flat", but that is because I dont usually play with opponents that can cut that kind of shot off and that can do good enough smashes that force me to lift 5+ times. And im not very patient lol.

9. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    Because of my level is like way under from pros level, drive back the smash would be the best. Because the front person again my level is not that great=). But oh well if compare my level smash, I would not be afraid of lifting the bird high =). Well it is all depend on how your opponent positions and their lvl.
    Like if advance but not pro, they able intercept most of the drive shots, but not very effective. Most of them will kinda block the bird path to drop the shots, but thats ok because you able to get those drop shots.
    But i would return it with drop to the side line if the front man (opponent) is not very close to the net. Hopefully he is not a strong drop player and will lift it back to you.
    Bottom line is depend on the position of the front man (opponent) and how tall is he =)

10. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    The expectation is of course to be able to lift to the other side of the court. (for an advance player or pro, this is a non issue). If you don't have the strength, you have no choice but to drive it. So build up your wrist strength. ;)

11. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    LoL I don't think you need to be strong to lift a SMASH bird out of the court.
    the stronger the shot comes at you, the further you can send it back.
    But it is hard you drive it back with a fast speed at your opponent. And strength doesn't really help much too. It just about the snap of your wrist.
    The only hard part of drive it back is to make a GOOD drive back, you don't want it too high and right in front of the front person.
    So its really all about the accuracy not strength.

12. thlim78

thlim78 Regular Member

for me, I would see how strong my opponent's smash is ... if I can manage his smash, I may take a bit of risk to move forward to counter the smash by a fast flat/steep drive to his back-hand / body. (it requires some reading of the games)

if my opponent's smash is strong/unpredictable, I will either lift it high to the back or hit a fast cross court drive to the net.

Also, if I know my partner is weak in defense or poor in returning smash, I will return opponent's smash to the same side of the court, so tat I can cover him as much as possible .

13. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

It's a good question.

You're absolutely right that a counter-attacking shot is a much better choice -- but only if you can execute it successfully. If you lose control of your shot, then it presents an easy kill for the front attacker.

Although the pros have incredible defensive skills, there are limits. Some smashes are more deadly than others; in particular, when the smasher is slightly farther forward in the court, his smash will be both steeper and faster. This makes it difficult to counter-attack, because you have less time to react and your shot will be travelling in a more upwards direction.

So when the attack is especially violent -- mainly when the lift was slightly short -- the pros play a lift, because it's a safer shot. The idea is to play a good length lift, so that the next smash is not quite as violent; then you can counter-attack.

Although the pros do play lifts, they only do so when under great pressure. Roughly speaking, you can break down the situations like this:

• Normal smash, from the very back of the court: play a drive, block, or push (counter-attacking)
    • Smash following a slightly short lift: play a lift (defending)
    • Smash from a very short lift: play a block, because you can't manage any other shot (desperation defence)

Of course, there's more to it than that. For example, the accuracy of the smash affects the response: if it's aimed precisely towards the racket hip, the defenders are more likely to lift (compared to the smash being placed within easy reach on one side of the body).

14. kinoko

kinoko Regular Member

I agree with kwun, let alone equate what you do with the pros. In defending smashes, it is much easier to play the NEXT shot if you clear it high enough rather than playing drive or drop at pro's level, because the front player would most likely be fast enough to cut off your shot. IF, your net return is high enough, for sure would be a feast for the front man, but even if its low enough, they would just do a drop and ull be in trouble rushing to the net to take it (trust me u wont be standing close enough to he net esp if ur opponent at the back has a big smash). In double, u wanna play speed and power. using them efficiently while preserving your stamina would play a major role winning the game.

basic rule of thumb - smashing would use more energy than the one defending by lifting, and so does rushing to the net to lift a drop. so usually they wait for an oppening to kill or turning defence to offence.

15. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    actually even the pros would return with a flat drive if possible. Like you said it's hard to have a definitive answer since there are many circumstances that can take place. But usually they lift it high because the smash came steep.

Another reason is because they are confident to lift it further back, when the opponent is already smashing from somewhere 3/4 court. In such a case if you return with a drive, the opponent could keep pushing with downward drives and get nearer and nearer to the net. So lifting it over their heads pushes them back to baseline. But only you have confidence of lifting it over their heads. Usually it can be risky, but again the pros can do anything they want :D

16. kinoko

kinoko Regular Member

yes for sure they would return flat and fast away from front player's reach. lifting a smash can be used in many ways ie looking for opportunity to switch to attacking, buying time, draining opponents stamina, playing safe, etc