Need help to choose a new racket

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Mathieu, May 16, 2009.

1. Mathieu

Mathieu Regular Member

Student
    Ok, my Yonex isometric 65 mf light (between head light and even balance, medium flex) broke about a month ago. I loved this racket as I could generate some good headspeed with it which was good for both offence and defence, but I am looking for a slightly more solid feel.

Now I am currently using my father's AT-800 DE as he won't use it for the summer, but I'm gonna have to buy one and get used to it during the summer, so I need your help.

I also love how the AT-800 DE feels as it is not too head heavy (I tried the AT-700 and its way to head heavy for me). I would be looking for something with a bit less weight on the head as the AT-800 DE and a bit more flexible.

I was thinking about the NanoSpeed 7700 as it seemed to fit me pretty well and there is a good discount at my local store which makes it alot more affordable than the other rackets (about 195 CDN$, taxes and NBG-95 included).

From the reviews that I have read, the NS-7700 has a balance point between the NS-9000 and the AT-800 DE, while being a bit more flexible than both of these rackets. Some players say it lacks feel (because of the vibration absorption), can you comment on that? Also, some players say it is very whippy, can you compare the feeling to the AT-800 DE or the AT-500? The opinions seem to be very varied about this racket so thats why I need your help as I cannot try the racket before buying it.

I'm also wondering about the weight of the racket/grip size: the available sizes are: 3U G4 and 2U G3. Is the weight difference only caused by the grip size or is there a significant difference? I'm usually using G3 with an over grip, but G4 with an overgrip would be good too, so should I go for 3U or 2U (in terms of Power, heaspeed and durability).

I'm more a ''receiving player'' and I play singles, doubles and Mixed doubles, Feather and Plastic (mostly plastic). I'm usually trying to control as I'm not a very hard hitter (Of course I'm playing an aggressive game when I have to). I'm looking for a rather forgiving racket.

Thanks alor for answering all of those questions, your feedback is very appreciated.

2. Jing09

Jing09 Regular Member

Student
    The AT700 is the most head heaviest racket out of the AT series, so maybe another racket within the AT line may suit you. Since you want a racket that would be decent in both attacking and defending and can generate racket speed, you should look at the AT600 and the AT900 technique. The AT600 is probably the lightest racket in the AT line. Thus, there is more maneuverability for you when defending. As for power, it is quite decent. If you love the AT800, the AT900 tech might be a good replacement. It has a solid feel when hitting and feels good to use in general. I can't really describe it at the moment (can't find the right words), so check out the reviews for both rackets :confused:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the NS7700 is the head heaviest out of the NS line. According to a person who did a review on this racket on badmintonalley, they said it was a combination of the AT700 and the NS7000. Thus, becoming the NS7700. As for the vibration cap, I heard also it eats up the feel of the racket. So this might be a problem for you since you want to feel the solidness of your shots. If you want a racket from the NS series, I think you should try out the NS8000. It is pretty stiff and does feel pretty solid. When using the NS8000, my drives feel a lot more stronger. My coach uses this racket and recieves great smashing power and also great manuverbility when returning shots. Check out the review for the NS8000.

Weight (3U/2U) is not caused by the grip size; it is the racket weight in general. There is a difference between 3U and 2U for the 2U is much heavier. I would go for the 3U racket because that is the staple weight of all rackets. The AT800 racket you're using should be 4U, so why would you drop down to a 2U? 2U is pretty heavy for most people, unless you are super strong. You would lose racket speed due to the weight and might require more effort when hitting. Overall, just go for the 3U if you decide on the NS :p

3. Mathieu

Mathieu Regular Member

Student
    Quick fix

Thanks alot for the quick reply!

The AT-600 is not available at my local store yet here in Quebec, thats why I eliminated from my choices. As for the AT-900 T, I had a try with it but it felt slightly stiffer than the AT-800 DE, which was already a tad too stiff, thats why I decided to eliminate it from my list aswell. I'm gonna borrow an AT-500 and do some more testing next time I play to see how I love it (I don't know how it's supposed to compare to the AT-800 DE).

As for the NS-8000, yonex rates it as ''extra stiff'' , which is scarring me as I don't think I could generate power with a headlight racket that is so stiff, but I'll read the reviews to make sure.

The AT-800 DE that I am currently using is 3U G3. The weight 3U seemed to be fine for me, it's true that 2U seems rather heavy (90g to 94,9g). I was asking about the weight because I thought it could make up for the NS-7700's lack of power. If I go back to the store, I'll ask the seller to weight both versions (2U and 3U) to see what their exact respective weights are.

Once again, thank you very much for your reply, your work is very appreciated!

4. Jing09

Jing09 Regular Member

Student
    No problem :]
    A lot of the high end rackets are stiff though. Yeah, the AT500 is great, but they have stopped production of that racket, so it might be difficult to find one unless the store at your place still have them in stock. Tell me what you think of the NS7700. I have only tried the NS7000 and NS8000. The NS7000 felt too light and lacked some power although it was easy to maneuver.

5. pchospital

pchospital Regular Member

PC servcing and DIY PC
    A lot of the high end rackets are stiff though?!

Dear enthusiasts,
    It is however not a lot high end rackets are stiff.
    Most model of Yonex and Wilson are probably stiff shaft:crying:
    However there are other good brands high end racket ( good performance too) having less stiff rackets and price much cheaper:D
    Thank u:cool:

6. huangxl

huangxl Regular Member

Student
    Try Arcsaber 10, good for both offence and defence

7. Jing09

Jing09 Regular Member

Student
    Ah, I see what you mean. I recently found a nearby badminton distributor that has Genji, Winex, and Futabaya brands. Most people have never heard of these brands. They are quite good though.

http://ebadminton.stores.yahoo.net/racket.html

#7 Jing09, May 17, 2009
    Last edited: May 17, 2009
  8. babytaru

babytaru Regular Member

Student
    I would wanna try new brands of rackets next time to see which is good