smash defence. Right handed, which foot do I put forward?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by giant_q_tip, May 16, 2009.

1. giant_q_tip

giant_q_tip Regular Member

ok i feel comfortable putting my right foot forward when defending against a smash, but ive been told to put my left foot forward instead.

does this depend on where the opponent is on the court and/or where you are on the court (left/right side).

also I know that I have to bend down, lean forward and keep my racket in the middle (thats the basic at least), but should I stand on my toes or keep my feet flat? I have problems with deceptive drops, as I hesitate on which foot to move with first because I dont know which foot to put forward! (I guess this means I have to improve my footwork :D)

2. chewablemorphin

chewablemorphin Regular Member

Lifeguard, and a little bit of autobody
    Right foot forward, because it alows you to use both your forehand and your backhand. Additionally, if you have your left foot forward, you'll have to take an extra step to any shot they place on the backhand side. You shouldn't be directly on your toes, the weight should be balanced on the balls of your feet (the area your toes are connected to, especially the big toe) Never be completly flat footed, you'll feel like you're feet are holding you back.

3. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I'd say feet almost in line with each other but the right slightly in front. Stay on the balls of your feet so if you have to move, you'll be able to set off quickly.

4. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Well this is what I get tought and I find it relativeley easy.

Keep on your balls of your feet , right foot slightly in front although relativeley side on. Knees bent , with your racket down ( I will explain ).

The best way to stop being beaten by deceptive drops , is by doing a split drop , and always bending your back forwards , with your body weight. This will make it easier to spring to the drop :).

The racket is downwards , because smashes go downards , especially in high level games you hardly ever get a high smash. If your racket is already down , you have more time to react. I don't think having your racket in front of you , parallel to the floor is always the best option , but having it already downwards , with the racket face towards your opponent is the best option. If they do , do a high smash , then your already low , so you can just play a flat attacking shot back.

I only recommend having your racket downards for doubles , as this is more of an attacking game to you , and their is less space to cover. For singles I would recommend having your racket in the generic position of parallell to the floor.

5. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I must admit, I disagree with you a bit there. I tend to favour an open stance as it's easier to move to cover a smash down the line (granted, movement forwards/backwards is easier with a closed stance).

Also, I defend with my racket up as I have now become a more defensively adept player and better all-round than I was when I played an all out attacking game. I have found that against most people, you can still block a smash with a flat drive. The best players or just people who are good smashers make this difficult but as long as you have a good grip and are easily able to change, you should be able to get your racket down to put the smash back.

I suppose though that smash defence is quite a personal thing and everyone has their own way of doing it that works for them. That's why smash defence is such a difficult thing to teach.

6. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Yes I agree with you - and everyone is individual so its personal for them.

I also alter it , say if I know someones smash is quite flat etc... So it does really vary a lot lol!

7. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    in doubles nowadays we see more and more of what u guys call a racket-up defence. As long as it's possible they'll try to crouch real low and take the smash with a racket-up stance. But it's no longer possible when your opponent have the time to do a steep smash.
    For positioning of the legs i think both legs level is ok. However the pros do seem to use a biased stance sometimes. And when they're poorly positioned(due not having not enough time/wrong anticipation), funny stuff like round-the-back defence appears.:D

8. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    Your right foot should be forward but only slightly, not so much that your body becomes very side on. You want to keep slightly square towards the net with a nice open stance. Get down nice and low bending your knees and make sure you pull a quick split step as theyr hitting the shot.
    racket should be slightly out in front of you but not too much. And normally keeping your racket at waist height will give you a good enough position to adjust to whatever shot is hit.

For doubles you want to be almost in the same position but racket up a little bit higher so that if you get a slower smash you can push forward and attack the shuttle changing you and your partner straight into attack mode.

Best way as iv said many times before is to download some professional matches and study exactly how they move and how they position themselves in motion.