string tensions on yonex rackets

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by yonexfanatic, Sep 16, 2002.

1. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

Hey guys,

My friend recently went to Hk and got me a Ti swing power SX model. Not knowing too much about string tensions, he strung the racket at what yonex recommended (20lbs max). In my opinion, this is very loose and when i hit with feather shuttles, the string, at times, moves out of place...which frustratingly I have to move back into place.

Anyways, I just wanted to point out and also what my coach pointed out to me a while back...The string tensions recommended by yonex aren't really the "maximum" the racquet can hold.

REason?: Yonex posts those recommendations just so they do not have to make as many warrenties. IF the racquet breaks, then all yonex has to say is "you strung your racket above the recommendation, therefore it's your fault". Make sense? To avoid them saying that, all you do is "cut the string" and remove it, then yonex doiesn't have proof of you stringing too high.

My point is...some of you say that the racquet broke because the string was strung above recommendation (admittingly, i've replied to someone on this badminton forum giving them that reason...)....in SOME cases, that is TRUE. But i guess you do take a chance...unfortunate if it breaks. But in order to get the power, and the maximum performance of that racket, you need the strings to be strung higher than 20 lbs ..(considering you are an intermediate and above level).

example: Ti swing SX recommends max 20 lbs. Perhaps try stringing it minimum 23...

ANyways, just a thought, tell me ur opinions on this...think it's true? i'd write more but no time

2. Noob848

Noob848 Regular Member

yonex rackets are always strung at the lowest tension possible without the strings drooping, so something that says 15-20lbs is prolly strung at 16 lbs and something that says 20-25lbs prolly is strung at 18ishLBS. My AT500 is strung at 23 lbs, i tried it at 20lbs b4 and it really didn't bring out the potential in my AT500