Yonex Stringing Machine Vs. Other Stringing Machine

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by anirban, May 17, 2009.

1. anirban

anirban Regular Member

Teacher
    Hi all, I have a question...

If a stringer is stringing an Yonex badminton Racquet with BG65 at 23lb tension by an Yonex Stringing machine for badminton and next time he is stringing the same racquet with same string at same tension but by a stringing machine of other renowned brand (say Ashaway) which is also used to string tennis racquet. Will there be any difference(Theoretical and/or Practical)? (Consider both the stringing machine in pretty good condition)

If the answer is "YES" then plz. be explicit about the reason(s).

And if the answer is "NO" then plz. tell me why most of the players are running for Yonex Stringing machine.

2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

What if the answer is yes and no depend on what type of machine you are talking about.
    Given that the stringer is using floating clamp for all stringing job.
    1) If you compare Yonex ST-250 vs other crank machine with similar design (ie crank tension head with 6 pt mounting and calibrated correctly) then the end result should be close and may not be able to tell apart. The issue is the mounting. The other brand is used also for tennis, so the side mounting position will be different. So the answer is MAY BE...
    2) If you compare Yonex ST-250 vs a different tension head (ie drop weight or ecp other design) then the answer is YES in general! Do a search on why crank tension feel different than drop weight vs ECP)
    3) If you compare Yonex ES5Pro vs other good brand ECP machine, the answer is MAY BE... Depend on the design and location of side mountings. But usually, you can not tell if they use exactly the same setting.

3. anirban

anirban Regular Member

Teacher
    Sir, thanks for the details.
    Both the machine are Crank machines, one is Yonex ST-250 and the other is an Ashaway Crank machine (at present I don't remember the model number). Both are well calibrated. Stringings are done very frequently with those. Both are with 6 pt mounting. But the 2nd machine is sometimes used for tennis, and hence side mounting heads are movable.

4. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

If that is the case, I suspect the Ashaway might have minor difference.

5. Fluxe

Fluxe Regular Member

I do not know much about crank machine as I only had a brief experience with them before moving straight to electronic. From what I know, every machine will produce different stringing dynamic tension because of the many differences in various machines, such as the tensioning angle, the clamps, the shoulder supports etc. If I remember correctly, Peter Gade strings his racquets on Babolat and other machine (Yonex?) at very different tensions. 3-4lbs difference I think. That is also why it is wiser to stick to a stringer. Off topic but you get what I mean...

In short, the dynamic tension you get at the end of stringing is not the tension you set on your machine. Keeping all human factors (skill, habit etc) constant, the machine will then be the determining factor.

6. anirban

anirban Regular Member

Teacher
    Thanks, I really like these three points and also try to maintain so...

7. anirban

anirban Regular Member

Teacher
    Thanks Sir, even I guessed so...